Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 546 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:51 pm 

KUIII wrote:
The Celebrating David Bowie Tour is coming around next spring. Closest show to me is Santa Rosa on March 4th. I might go but can't commit for a while. Adrian Belew and other Bowie band members are in the band. Unfortunately, no David hologram. :mrgreen:

Also, the popular Zeppelin tribute band, Get the Led Out, is performing within walking distance of my apartment this Thursday. I should probably go given the extreme convenience. :idea:

A friend of mine saw them a couple weeks ago here in Omaha, and was duly impressed. I had a bad cold and couldn't go.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:53 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
KUIII wrote:
The Celebrating David Bowie Tour is coming around next spring. Closest show to me is Santa Rosa on March 4th. I might go but can't commit for a while. Adrian Belew and other Bowie band members are in the band. Unfortunately, no David hologram. :mrgreen:

Also, the popular Zeppelin tribute band, Get the Led Out, is performing within walking distance of my apartment this Thursday. I should probably go given the extreme convenience. :idea:

A friend of mine saw them a couple weeks ago here in Omaha, and was duly impressed. I had a bad cold and couldn't go.

Is that what the kids are calling it now... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:36 pm 

Plook wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:

Is that what the kids are calling it now... :mrgreen:

Yes, and adults too. What did they call it in your day?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:45 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
KUIII wrote:

Thanks Calvin for the endorsement. I'm definitely going. In the posters around town it looks like a pretty big band, maybe 7-8 members. It's actually Saturday which takes care of my weekend plans.

It's kind of interesting in that this band is playing the two previous nights in Napa and Sacramento in venues where I have traveled to see Zappa Plays Zappa, Todd Rundgren, Al DiMeola and others and here this show is happening in my little dinky town.

http://www.paradiseperformingarts.com

They usually only have old people shows here. OK, a Led Zeppelin tribute show in 2017 might qualify as an old people's show. Last week I saw a Fleetwood Mac tribute band in a neighboring town by accident. www.facebook.com/runningintheshadows. They were pretty good.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:52 am 

KUIII wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:
KUIII wrote:

Thanks Calvin for the endorsement. I'm definitely going. In the posters around town it looks like a pretty big band, maybe 7-8 members. It's actually Saturday which takes care of my weekend plans.

It's kind of interesting in that this band is playing the two previous nights in Napa and Sacramento in venues where I have traveled to see Zappa Plays Zappa, Todd Rundgren, Al DiMeola and others and here this show is happening in my little dinky town.

http://www.paradiseperformingarts.com

They usually only have old people shows here. OK, a Led Zeppelin tribute show in 2017 might qualify as an old people's show. Last week I saw a Fleetwood Mac tribute band in a neighboring town by accident. http://www.facebook.com/runningintheshadows. They were pretty good.

How many fast food establishments are located between your apartment and The Crest KU? :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:05 am 

Fortunately, just Taco Bell and it's currently closed for renovation. :mrgreen:

*The Crest is actually the name of the Sacramento venue.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:35 pm 

Fast Food and Tribute Bands. Who can say America isn't living up to it's potential?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:26 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
Fast Food and Tribute Bands. Who can say America isn't living up to it's potential?

Speaking of America tribute bands, Ventura Highway kicks ass!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:15 am 

KUIII wrote:
Speaking of kick ass American tribute bands, WHERE IN THE HIGHWAY TO HELL IS COEVAD!?!?

repaired it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:34 pm 

There is a tribute band for America?

Like, Muskrat Love America?

Once you release a song like Muskrat Love it should be all over. Who would keep listening to an album after hearing just one verse and chorus of Muskrat Love? But yet....a tribute band?

Will Ferrell often puts the absolute shittiest crap music from the 70s in his movies. It's hilarious. He knows. He was traumatized by the same shit as me. He had this song in one of the movies, I'm pretty sure. And there's one where he's got a Pablo Cruise t shirt. hahaha. There's probably a Pablo Cruise tribute act. May they be eaten by hyenas.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:15 pm 

Muskrat Love was the Captain and Tenille, downer. Geez, I thought you knew your music, man. Daryl Dragon and Toni Tenille.* Another fine act worthy of a tribute. :)

http://www.facebook.com/captainandcamille

Pablo Cruise was actually on the bill of the first concert I ever went to opening for Elvin Bishop in 1978. They played the crap out of Pablo Cruise at my high school dances too. "It's time to find your place in the sun", "Watcha Gonna Do", "Love Will Find a Way", etc.

Will Ferrell's rendition of Aqualung in Anchorman is pretty classic.

*Interesting side note. Did you know Toni Tenille is credited for some backing vocals on Pink Floyd's The Wall?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:17 am 

KUIII wrote:
Muskrat Love was the Captain and Tenille, downer. Geez, I thought you knew your music, man. Daryl Dragon and Toni Tenille.* Another fine act worthy of a tribute. :)

Willis Alan Ramsey, an American singer/songwriter, released the critically acclaimed album, "Willis Alan Ramsey", in 1972 on the Shelter label. The album included "Muskrat Candlelight" which was covered twice as "Muskrat Love," first by America in 1973, then by Captain & Tennille, in 1976.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:54 am 

just plain doug wrote:
KUIII wrote:

Willis Alan Ramsey, an American singer/songwriter, released the critically acclaimed album, "Willis Alan Ramsey", in 1972 on the Shelter label. The album included "Muskrat Candlelight" which was covered twice as "Muskrat Love," first by America in 1973, then by Captain & Tennille, in 1976.

Well, color me embarrassed! :oops: Sorry, downer! And I'd especially like to apologize to Willis Alan Ramsey.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:16 pm 

I saw America in Hawaii in 1978, excellent show sounded great...i don't remember them playing Muskrat Love, but if they did I am sure it would have been awesome... :smoke:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:05 am 

Plook wrote:
I saw America in Hawaii in 1978

i saw Big Trouble in Little China in ohio... in 1986..... Image

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:36 am 

Plook wrote:
I saw America in Hawaii in 1978, excellent show sounded great...i don't remember them playing Muskrat Love, but if they did I am sure it would have been awesome... :smoke:

Yeah, right.

Let's take a closer look at Muskrat Love:

Muskrat, muskrat candlelight
Doin' the town and doin' it right
In the evenin'
It's pretty pleasin'

Muskrat Susie, muskrat Sam
Do the jitterbug out in muskrat land
And they shimmy
And Sammy's so skinny

And they whirled and they twirled and they tangoed
Singin' and jinglin' the jango
Floatin' like the heavens above
It looks like muskrat love

Nibblin' on bacon, Chewin' on cheese
Sammy says to Suisie "Honey would you please be my missus?"
And she says yes
With her kisses

And now he's ticklin' her fancy
Rubbin' her toes,
Muzzle to muzzle, now anything goes
As they wiggle
And Sue starts to giggle

[Songwriter: WILLIS ALAN RAMSEY]

- Okay. The part about rats nibbling bacon IS genius.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:50 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
There is a tribute band for America?

Like, Muskrat Love America?

Once you release a song like Muskrat Love it should be all over. Who would keep listening to an album after hearing just one verse and chorus of Muskrat Love? But yet....a tribute band?

Will Ferrell often puts the absolute shittiest crap music from the 70s in his movies. It's hilarious. He knows. He was traumatized by the same shit as me. He had this song in one of the movies, I'm pretty sure. And there's one where he's got a Pablo Cruise t shirt. hahaha. There's probably a Pablo Cruise tribute act. May they be eaten by hyenas.

You been drinkin' , downer!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:23 pm 

Here's a poem I wrote about 35 years ago while trying to stay awake in a college classroom. I think it must have been influenced in part by Muskrat Love.

Another Perfect Day or The Nature Poem
by Kill Ugly III

River rolling, sun emerging
Colors ever blending
Toads on stools, muskrats dancing
Robin's nest needs mending.

Trout competing, hurdle jumping
up and down the stream
Barney Badger, lazy Sunday
content to eat and dream.

Sally Squirrel gathers acorns
for Sonny and the boys
Larry Lizard suns on a rock
enjoying nature's joys.

Freddy Frog and Nelly Newt
go picnic by a lake.
Peter Possum and Cindy Skunk
are in love for goodness sake.

Barbara Butterfly spreads her wings
for everyone to see.
Young birds cause mischief, but all in fun
as they fly from tree to tree.

Fun and frolic and goodwill to all
on another perfect day
Until Harry Hunter puts down his beer
and blows them all away.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:19 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
Plook wrote:

Yeah, right.

Let's take a closer look at Muskrat Love:

Muskrat, muskrat candlelight
Doin' the town and doin' it right
In the evenin'
It's pretty pleasin'

Muskrat Susie, muskrat Sam
Do the jitterbug out in muskrat land
And they shimmy
And Sammy's so skinny

Nibblin' on bacon, Chewin' on cheese
Sammy says to Suisie "Honey would you please be my missus?"
And she says yes
With her kisses

And now he's ticklin' her fancy
Rubbin' her toes,
Muzzle to muzzle, now anything goes
As they wiggle
And Sue starts to giggle

[Songwriter: WILLIS ALAN RAMSEY]

- Okay. The part about rats nibbling bacon IS genius.

Anything involving bacon is genius...BTW they didn't write it... :idea:

If you have every been in love, you have a tendency to write shit like this... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:44 pm 

bracton wrote:
KUIII wrote:

I saw them a few years ago. They're pretty good. When I saw them, their thing was recreating the studio versions, hence they don't really do the LZ "look" which is fine by me. Nor did they jam out on Whole or Dazed-they play them like the studio versions. They have two guitar players, some songs maybe three. I remember them sounding great. You should go.

You're right. They were really good. They had all the bases covered for the heavy songs and the acoustic tunes alike. They even had a theremin for Whole Lotta Love.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:19 am 

Plook wrote:
If you have every been in love, you have a tendency to write shit like this...

or... this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myJDBos5Vyw

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 546 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22