Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:14 am 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
Philostopher wrote:
Milton Bradley wrote:

Terry "Ted" Bozzio: Drums & vocals from 1975 -Bongo Fury to 1984-Thing-Fish, YCDTOSA series, etc. A former missing person, part time devil mask wearer,Failed 1977 audition for Thin Lizzy.

According to Scott Gorham, Terry Bozzio was actually hired to replace Brian. Then he made one demand Phillip couldn't live with. He wanted them to fly Dale on the tour as well, and Phillip had a strict no wives or girlfriends on tour policy. According to Gorham, that is the only reason Bozzio did not become Thin Lizzy's drummer.

TL research badge awarded

Thanks! But you can give that one to downer. He's the one who discovered this excellent book. Anyone with more than a passing fancy for TL should get this book.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:43 am 

Philostopher wrote:
Anyone with more than a passing fancy for TL should get this book.

And be aware that the book was written by Scott Gorham.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:58 am 

That's interesting why Bozzio was rejected. I always assumed that it was because his style didn't really fit a band like that and maybe because he didn't fit in lifestyle wise with Lizzy being a real hard living band.

Bozzio was also offered the Jethro Tull chair somewhere around this time - flat out, no auditions necessary - but he turned it down.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:25 am 

Ted really was a master back in the 70's and even is today. His drumming in 1977 in the Baby Snakes movie is fucking insane as well as doing killer vocals.
As influential is Missing Persons are the stuff he was doing with them in the 80's was pretty dire. His stuff with KoRn wasn't anything to write home about but I put that down to the Nu Metal style.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:52 am 

downer mydnyte wrote:
Philostopher wrote:
Anyone with more than a passing fancy for TL should get this book.

And be aware that the book was written by Scott Gorham.

Exactly. Thanks! I should have mentioned that.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:11 pm 

Philostopher wrote:
I should have mentioned that.

Well, you did put up a big picture of the book with his name on the front. I was just here for reinforcements. :wink:
NuclearProstate wrote:
Ted really was a master back in the 70's and even is today. His drumming in 1977 in the Baby Snakes movie is fucking insane as well as doing killer vocals.
As influential is Missing Persons are the stuff he was doing with them in the 80's was pretty dire.

I had no idea Missing Persons was influential. Interestingly, my favorite Terry Bozzio album is Bongo Fury. It's pretty much all down to his playing behind Zappa's solos on Carolina and Muffin Man. It's outstanding how well he complimented FZ during the air sculpture. They're both just kicking ass.
Baby Snakes, too. During BN when Bozzio stands up and O'Hearn is rocking.
KUIII wrote:
Bozzio was also offered the Jethro Tull chair somewhere around this time - flat out, no auditions necessary - but he turned it down.

Makes sense. Why leave one dictator just to join another?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:43 pm 

Missing Persons were rather influential in England but New Wave was massive over here. Like it or loathe it Lady Gaga cites them and especially Dale as a massive influence on her style.

But on to more Ted talk. Why did Bozzio leave? Or did he fail the feb '78 audition? Or was it because Frank was a dictator?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:49 pm 

Frank didn't fire him per se, but basically told TB that it was time for him to go out and do his own thing. TB had some other things going on and Frank sensed he really wasn't into it any more.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:53 pm 

Makes sense, his mind was probably elsewhere with Dale and wanting to get into New Wave or side projects. As amazing as he is. In my opinion the best ROCK drummer Zappa had I get the feeling he wouldn't have fit the 80's bands. But who knows? Would like to see him cover some of those classic 80's Zappa tunes.