Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1834 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 70, 71, 72, 73, 74  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gun Control?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:20 pm 

Kevin Siers

Pat Bagley

Post subject: Gun Reform
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:24 pm 

Mr. Nice Guy wrote:
Mr. Nice Guy wrote:
Where is the "I Must Have More Nudity" thread when you need it? :?

Nude Gunman Kills 3 At Waffle House

(CNN) - Three people were killed and four were wounded in a shooting Sunday at a Waffle House in the Nashville area, Metro Nashville Police tweeted.

Police say the gunman, who was nude, opened fire at about 3:25 a.m. (4:25 a.m. ET).

CNN affiliate WSMV reported that the gunman was naked except for a green jacket when he entered the restaurant in the town of Antioch.

A customer wrestled away the rifle, police said.

Authorities are asking for the public's help in finding 29-year-old Travis Reinking of Morton, Illinois. Police said the gunman arrived in a vehicle registered to Reinking, though the gunman was last seen walking nude away from the scene.
It has occurred to me that, in this instance, the best defense against a bad guy with a gun was a good guy without a gun.

The suspect was last seen not wearing . . . 8)
Chan Lowe

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:22 am 

So apparently, the treasonous NRA, who also colluded with Russia, are picking another traitor, Mr Iran-Contra himself to be their next president. :P

NRA To Name Oliver North As President
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/nra-t ... li=BBnbfcL

Conservatives/Republican's are sending the USA straight into shithole terroitory, because shitholes tend to be run by treasonous dictators.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 11:01 am 

Chan Lowe

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:31 am 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:03 pm 

A Day In The Life Of A Dutch Woman.

While I'm watching a walkthrough of Fatal Frame V, a Japanese horror game, Dad is watching a documentary on Vegas. He sees a picture of a hotel. "Wasn't that from the shooting?" he asked.
"Wasn't that in Texas?" I think, as I recall it was the one with the concert. I look up "las vegas shooting".

Results conjure up the Vegas shooting in 2014.

Fatal Frame, known as Project Zero in Europe and Zero in Japan, is a survival horror game series where you play, usually as a female character, in a place where you are spirited away. You fight ghosts by making photos of them with an antique camera. Most of them have a background story involving a ghastly ritual, that goes wrong, and then there's some kind of massacre and the place becomes a ghost town/house/hospital.
I'm just at the background story, a man came to a court to date a shrine maiden, but the shrine maiden refused, so he murdered her, then murdered all the other shrine maidens and then himself.

Sure I love the ancient Japanese style, but it would be a lot more realistic in the US...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:01 pm 

Apparently there's a shooting in Florida at a gaming conference, 6 dead...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:18 am 

David Fitzsimmons

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:36 am 

And another mass shooting.

How many more do you need until you realize you have some serious trouble there?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:30 am 

BBP wrote:
And another mass shooting.

How many more do you need until you realize you have some serious trouble there?

It's like.....how many times are you going to post something without realizing nothing will happen? This debate was over when 20 children were massacred and nothing was done. People can fight the good fight, but we will not have gun control.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:53 pm 

Nonetheless, you have some serious trouble there...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:03 pm 

Quote:
Now anyone can skirt security, smuggle or plant a gun into a hospital...

Then the shooting at a Chicago hospital happened. I hope I'm not giving people ideas.

Last edited by Milton Bradley on Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:41 pm 

Tom Toles

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:26 am 

BBP wrote:

i've done the math.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:50 am 

Drew Sheneman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:06 am 

You know what's the worst thing in all of that?

I'm fairly sure that if guns were to be banned, or at least heavily restricted, in the USA tomorrow, the violent crime rates wouldn't drop; if they wouldn't grow in certain places. Why?
The thing is that American society IS violent. The extreme corporatism and cult of material profit makes life a violent competition between people. Psychoactive drugs are ubiquitous, as they're recommended for pretty much everything by doctors, and are even advertised on TV. Alcoholism and illegal drug use is rampant, no matter what the social group is; rednecks do meth, poor colored people do crack, middle class white people and hispanics smoke weed, rich white collar people do coke, outcasts do heroin. Violence is portrayed in a positive light by media, be it video games, movies, series (where heroes are often criminals, prisoners... Meanwhile, you can show as many gruesome murders as you want on TV but showing a nipple is haram), people stress a lot due to the competitive nature of life, work, and because of the fear of having to foot the bill of an insanely expensive medical operation or lawsuit... while being deprived of paid leave in most professional sectors. In American culture, if you fail, it's your fault, you're just stupid and lazy, and your life and personality doesn't have a value, it has a price in USD.

That's the big problem in the USA. Remove the guns, people will stab each other. Remove the knives, people will hit each other with hammers and baseball bats. Remove that, people will poison each other. Remove that, and people will choke each other, or throw bricks... You get the picture. That's already what happens in the UK, which is one of the European countries with the highest rate of violent crimes, and even if you can't buy rounded edge cutlery without showing your ID now, it is still an extremely violent country.

Plus, banning guns in the US wouldn't take guns off the hands of criminals, who would then reign unchallenged... unless the police gets even more weapons, funding, personnel and power, which isn't really what you'd want, either. That's what happens in France, for example, where guns are relatively common but regulated (a huge majority of the guns are owned by retired hunters in the countryside, 95% if not more of urban dwellers don't own firearms), yet there are sales of military surplus assault rifles and explosives going on in districts with the highest crime rate. No, I'm not talking about the AR-15 that many Americans have, which are NOT military assault rifles (no full auto mode = not an assault rifle), I'm talking about Kalashnikov rifles from the Eastern Bloc, Uzi SMGs, grenades and rocket launchers. You hear every couple years about banks or cash transport armored trucks getting attacked with such grenade launchers, and several times a year about robberies or gang warfare involving assault rifles. These are, of course, all banned, and have been since the 30s.

Meanwhile, look at Switzerland. Assault rifles everywhere, minimal violent crime. The difference is cultural.

Of course, guns are too widespread in the USA, but they're only a part of the problem, and maybe not the biggest one.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:05 pm 

'Mama, I'm shot': Girl who wrote essay about gun violence is killed by stray bullet in Milwaukee

(CNN) Sandra Parks wrote an award-winning essay about the constant shootings in her hometown of Milwaukee and elsewhere, and the emotional toll they have on young people like her.

"Little children are victims of senseless gun violence," she wrote. " ... I sit back and I have to escape from what I see and hear every day. When I do; I come to the same conclusion ... we are in a state of chaos."

Two years after she won an award for her essay, bullets shattered Sandra's bedroom window as she watched television Monday night. The stray bullet fired from outside her home hit the 13-year-old, killing her, CNN affiliate WISN reported.

"She took it like a soldier," her sister, Tatiana Ingram, told the affiliate. "She just walked in the room and said, 'Mama, I'm shot' ... The bullet wasn't even for her."

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:04 am 

Four-year-old shoots his mother in the face:
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... n-mattress

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:38 pm 

Comandante59 wrote:
American society IS violent. The extreme corporatism and cult of material profit makes life a violent competition between people

Yes, and keep in mind that "America" is an appendage of The Bank Of England.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:58 am 

Steve Sack

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:06 pm 

New Zealand bans military-style semi-automatic and assault rifles

Support for Government's gun ban in wake of Christchurch shooting
Collette Devlin·19:18, March 21st 2019

New gun laws have received resounding cross party support and are being welcomed by rural and hunting sectors and gun sellers.

However, there is still sentiment that more could be done, with calls for an immediate gun register to be set up. However a register has not yet been ruled out.

On Thursday, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern and Police Minister Stuart Nash announced a ban on military style, semi-automatic (MSSA) guns and assault rifles in the wake of the Christchurch mosque shootings.

COLLETTE DEVLIN/STUFF
On Thursday, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern (left) and Police Minister Stuart Nash (right) announced a ban on military style, semi-automatic guns and assault rifles in the wake of the Christchurch mosque shootings.

Related parts used to convert guns into MSSAs would also be banned as would all high-capacity magazines.
An amnesty would be put in place for weapons to be handed in, and Cabinet had directed officials to develop a buyback scheme, that could cost anywhere between $100m and $200m.

MARK TANTRUM/Getty Images
The National Party welcomed the reform of firearms legislation. Leader Simon Bridges said it agreed the public did not need access to military style semi-automatic weapons and supported them being banned along with assault rifles.

The prime minister said these moves were not the end of tightening the gun laws.

On Monday the Cabinet would consider further changes such as stronger and more effective gun licensing rules, storage requirements and penalties for not complying with regulations.

It would also look at future proofing the Arms Act to ensure it was able to respond to developments in technology and society.

KEVIN STENT/STUFF
Green Party Co-leader James Shaw said banning the guns was the first step towards systemic changes to New Zealand’s gun laws.

CROSS-PARTY SUPPORT

National has thrown its full weight behind the law changes with Leader of the Opposition Simon Bridges welcoming the reform of firearms legislation.

The party agreed the public did not need access to military style semi-automatic weapons and supported them being banned along with assault rifles.

More from
Collette Devlin • Senior journalist | Political reporter
collette.devlin@stuff.co.nz

It also supported the Government's proposals to limit the access to other high powered semi-automatic weapons and ammunition.

"The terrorist attack in Christchurch last week has changed us as a nation. National has been clear since this devastating attack that we support changes to our regime and that we will work constructively with the Government."

Green Party Co-leader James Shaw said banning the guns was the first step towards systemic changes to New Zealand's gun laws.

ROSS GIBLIN
Act Party leader David Seymour said it was disappointing New Zealand was responding to a terrorist attack by abandoning its democratic processes and the rushed process could deny the public the chance to have their say.

"I am pleased that our Government is acting so swiftly and decisively to rid the country of firearms designed to kill people."

"We just wish it wasn't in such tragic circumstances. We owe it to the 50 people killed last Friday to ensure this never happens again."

The Government had heard from tens of thousands of New Zealanders across the country calling for the urgent need to reform our gun laws, he said.

National and the Green Party vowed to work constructively with the Government.

However, Act Party leader David Seymour said it was enormously disappointing New Zealand was responding to a terrorist attack by abandoning its democratic processes.

"The rushed process will deny the public the chance to have their say and could lead to legislation that fails to solve the problem. Trying to pass a law in less than three weeks is a recipe for bad lawmaking."

JOHN BISSET/STUFF
Miles Anderson from Federated Farmers said the incoming new laws would not be popular among some of its members but it supported the government’s intention to toughen firearms regulations.

RURAL SUPPORT

Jacinda Ardern said she strongly believed that the vast majority of legitimate gun owners in New Zealand would understand the moves were in the national interest, and would take the changes in their stride.

When Australia undertook similar reforms, their approach was to allow for exemptions for farmers upon application, including for pest control and animal welfare.

SUPPLIED
Fish and Game New Zealand chief executive Martin Taylor supported the move and said it was the right decision.

New Zealand has taken similar action to identify the weapons legitimately required in those areas, and preclude them, she said.

Federated Farmers conceded the incoming laws would not be popular among some of its members but supports the government's intention to toughen firearms regulations.

Rural Security spokesperson Miles Anderson said after a week of intense debate and careful consideration by elected representatives and staff, they believed this was the only practicable solution. Christchurch had changed everything, he said.

Supplied
In addition to the changes announced today, Trade Me chief executive Jon Macdonald, repeated its call for a firearms register.

"We are trying to tread a responsible path. The wrong guns can't be allowed to get into the wrong hands."

"Our message to our members is to remember that at least this way, responsible gun owners are going to be recognised for being law-abiding, safety conscious and skilled."

It was pleased farmers were still going to have access to sporting semiautomatic rimfire rifles, such as the .22 long rifle, and sporting semiautomatic shotguns with limited magazine capacity, which would be needed for control of pets such as rabbits, possums, Canada geese.

There was a very limited need for centrefire semiautomatic firearms with large capacity magazines for professional pest management, he said.

"The surrender or destruction of firearms that don't meet the new controls will be disappointing to many farmers, and others but a clampdown is the responsible path to take to try to ensure we're never witness to this kind of tragedy on our shores again."

Federated Farmers intended to contribute to the Select Committee process.

Fish and Game New Zealand chief executive Martin Taylor supported the move and said it was the right decision.

"The ban on military rifles is the right decision and limiting shotgun magazine capacity is sensible.

"This move has the support of all political parties and the wider public and that is appropriate in the tragic circumstances in which it is being made."

"Parliament is to be commended for presenting a united front to ensure the safety of all New Zealanders."

GUN SELLERS

Dmitri Osipov, who owns online gun shops Arsenal and Lock, Stock and Barrel, said the changes announced on Thursday were what he expected.

He already had one customer ring up and cancel an order for an accessory for a military style rifle.

"Somebody ordered a high-capacity magazine and just a minute ago he said he had to cancel his order," Osipov said. He estimated about 90 per cent of people who bought the popular AR15 semi-automatic rifle - the same used by the accused gunman in the Christchurch terror attack - acquired it for the purpose of a sport called three gun shooting.

Three gun shooting is target shooting using a pistol, shotgun and semi automatic firearm, he said.

"The weapon isn't really suited for hunting or anything else so that is the main application for that rifle in this country."

He said his business would be largely unaffected by the changes because he dealt mostly in pistols and vintage firearms.

"I know there will be businesses that are affected more than us."

Trade Me chief executive Jon Macdonald said the company had pushed for stronger gun laws for a number of years and the announcement was a move in the right direction.

However, he repeated call for a firearms register.

"While we appreciate there is substantial work in the set-up of a register, we believe it would lead to a safer New Zealand in the long term."

The halt on sales of all semi-automatics on Trade Me would stay in place.

"Clearly New Zealand has indicated, since the horrific attacks on Friday, that it wants change and we support that."

ACADEMIC OPINION - NOT FAR ENOUGH

University of Otago Firearms researchers, Dr Marie Russell and Dr Hera Cook said the prompt response was a major step towards improving New Zealanders' safety and bringing it into line with other similar countries.

Cook was concerned by the "long list" of potential exemptions but looked forward to the Select Committee process, where she would like to see a close examination of evidence for them.

Russell said there was an open question over the intention of a gun register, which the researchers wanted to see.

She hoped to have the opportunity to contribute to the promised development of stronger more effective licensing rules, storage requirements and penalties for not complying with gun regulations.

"A register in which all firearms are recorded would help police trace guns used in crime and to identify individuals building up an arsenal," Cook said.

"When guns are registered, owners then become accountable for each firearm that they own. Furthermore, registration motivates gun owners to lock up their firearms, which is a major contribution to protecting household and wider public safety."

An Australia academic said the prime minister's approach did not go as far as Australia after the 1996 Port Arthur massacre.

Griffith University homicide research unit director Dr Samara McPhedran said Australia essentially banned all semi-automatic firearms, both sporting configuration and military configuration. Australia also banned pump-action shotguns.

"New Zealand's changes do not go anywhere near that far."

University of Waikato law professor Alexander Gillespie said the announcement would start to address some of the loopholes in the law and sounded like it's a strong step forward.

"It will be good to see what additional steps are being considered with regard to other measures, such as registration of all remaining firearms."

He believed the vast majority of firearms owners would want to be fully compliant with the law, but there would be a small percentage of people who would hope to avoid the law.

To encourage compliance, the "expensive" compensation scheme needed to be fair and market-based for owners who had done nothing wrong, he said.

"There's a question on whether the Government will be trying to soak up some other firearms that are not covered by the ban, like old rifles. Best practice overseas would be to provide compensation for those firearms too. The Government should take the chance to soak up those things that are out there in the community. If you put on a financial incentive they will come back."

Stuff

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/christ ... h-shooting

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:39 am 

I did not realise this but apparently, the gun laws that were legislated in the wake of the Port Arthur Massacre have been gradually eroded over the years under pressure of Australia's gun lobby. So, anyone who thinks various statistics relating to gun crime in recent years have proved those laws to be ineffective, that's not actually true. I was shocked to find this out - it's gone on silently behind the backs of the voting public. Bastards!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:16 pm 

"I mean it turns out they actually just let anyone buy a Fleetwood Mac record if they want, there isn't like an exam to get licensed or anything."

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:16 pm 

polydigm wrote:
I did not realise this but apparently, the gun laws that were legislated in the wake of the Port Arthur Massacre have been gradually eroded over the years under pressure of Australia's gun lobby. So, anyone who thinks various statistics relating to gun crime in recent years have proved those laws to be ineffective, that's not actually true. I was shocked to find this out - it's gone on silently behind the backs of the voting public. Bastards!

Luckily so far down under no errosion has taken place in fact the Crazy Pauline Hanson (nee Pantsdown) has been caught with her crazy right wing One Nation Party - trying to take money from a fake NRA rep - read below :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

One Nation wanted millions from the NRA while planning to soften Australia's gun laws

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-03-26/ ... s/10936052

One Nation wanted millions from the NRA while planning to soften Australia's gun laws
By political reporter Melissa Clarke
Updated yesterday at 11:53pm

James Ashby and Steve Dickson speak to a fake gun lobbyist (ABC News)
RELATED STORY: Hanson's One Nation in damage control over talks with US gun lobbyists
Secret recordings of senior One Nation figures reveal the party wanted millions of dollars in political donations from America's National Rifle Association and discussed softening its policies on gun ownership as it tried to secure the funding.
Footage from inside the meetings, broadcast overnight as part of an Al Jazeera investigation, shows the pair seeking political donations and discussing political strategies to undermine Australia's gun restrictions.
Al Jazeera's investigation, which will air tonight on the ABC, involved setting up a fake gun lobby group called Gun Rights Australia headed by a fake gun rights advocate, Rodger Muller.
Burn witch Burn :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:42 pm 

^^^^^ lock her up! ^^^^^

Locally the NRA and their pals have been spamming and crashing the NZ government & Police web sites set up for gun owners to register for the buy back scheme to legally hand in their now illegal firearms and accessories.....They've also been putting up their own fake sites purporting to be the official sites with contradictory information on the new gun regulations.....

They have also crashed some of the pages set up for donations for the shooting victims and their families, these f@#kers have no shame.....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1834 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 70, 71, 72, 73, 74  Next