Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1807 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gun Control?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:33 pm 

Senate's new background-check gun bill simply enforces current law

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/nov/16/senates-new-gun-law-reuses-old-ideas-and-stops-short-on-background-checks

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:21 pm 

Husband and wife accidentally shot in church meeting about gun safety
Mark Molloy 7 hrs ago

A man accidentally shot himself and his wife during a meeting about gun safety at a Tennessee church.

The couple, who are in their 80s, were discussing gun protection at a social meeting held at the First United Methodist Church in Tellico Plains when the incident occurred.

“Well, I’ve got my gun on me,” said the 81-year-old man, police say, before he pulled out his 380-calibre Ruger handgun and removed the magazine.

He put the magazine back in and put the gun away, but forgot it was loaded when a person later asked to see it.

The military veteran then pulled the trigger, with the bullet slicing his palm and penetrating his wife’s abdomen and exiting her right side.

“We were talking about concealed carry and protecting ourselves,” witness Ray Zillick told WATE .Both were treated at hospital for non-life-threatening injuries and are reported to be in a stable condition.

Tellico Plains Police Department told residents: “It was not an active shooter situation. It was an accidentally discharged handgun.

“No other people were harmed in this accident. The schools were placed in a temporary lockdown for the students safety. This lockdown was lifted as soon as we cleared the scene.”

Police Chief Russ Parks told ABC News: “This was an accident. It was not intentional.

“It just slipped his mind that he recharged the weapon.”

The gun safety meeting was held in the wake of the Sutherland Springs mass shooting in Texas, in which 26 people were killed.

http://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/world/hus ... ocid=ientp

Post subject: Re: Gun Reform?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:26 am 

Steve Sack

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:02 am 

#themerkinway

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:18 am 

Gunmaker Remington says it will file for bankruptcy

Remington, one of the oldest and most well-known gun companies in the world, plans to file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection.

The plan would allow Remington Outdoor Company to stay in business while restructuring its debt. The plan allows for Remington to reduce its debt by $700 million and contributes $145 million of new capital into its subsidiaries, according to the company.

Remington said in a statement that its operations "will not be disrupted by the restructuring process."

The gun industry, which also includes publicly traded companies like American Outdoor Brands (AOBC), owner of the Smith & Wesson brand, as well as Sturm Ruger & Co. (RGR) and Vista Outdoor (VSTO), has experienced slumping sales since the election of President Donald Trump.

Gun sales surged to record levels in 2016, when Barack Obama was president and there were fears that Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton would implement gun controls.

When Trump, a Republican endorsed by the National Rifle Association, was elected, those fears were alleviated. But sales also dropped off.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:22 am 

18 school shootings in the USA this year alone.....that averages one every 60 hours....yet Republicans still refuse to stop them.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:22 pm 

Gary Varvel

Clay Jones

[b]Steve Breen[b]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:46 am 

How Long Until Americans Realize Prayers Don't Do Shit?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:48 am 

BBP wrote:
How Long Until Americans Realize Prayers Don't Do Shit?

Haha, let's see, how long is never?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:10 am 

Cheapest way out isn't it?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:19 am 

BBP wrote:
Cheapest way out isn't it?

Yes.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:47 am 

Sadly, nobody here will bother to read this......

These Lawmakers Sent Thoughts & Prayers To Florida — Here's How Much They Got From The NRA
https://www.refinery29.com/2018/02/1909 ... a-shooting

Post subject: Gun Reform
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:21 am 

Marshall Ramsey

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:12 pm 

I guess most of you here still don't realize that, in the US, minus suicides (which comprise around 20,000 of the 30,000 or so annual firearm deaths), over 90% of firearm deaths are due to the use of ILLEGAL firearms. This of course means that most gun laws are redundant and have next to no effect when trying to prevent firearm deaths. So trying to create more laws will be an even larger waste of time & money and will grow government larger than it has to or even should be.

Bottom line is: this is a mental illness issue.

So instead, why don't we try enhancing programs to treat people with these illnesses?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:12 pm 

Intelligent people will address this problem from all angles. It is not a singular issue.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:51 pm 

KUIII wrote:
Intelligent people will address this problem from all angles. It is not a singular issue.

You're right, it's not. The FBI had DOZENS of opportunities to stop this lunatic...and they fucked up too.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:55 pm 

Stupid Fuck wrote:
I guess most of you here still don't realize that, in the US, minus suicides (which comprise around 20,000 of the 30,000 or so annual firearm deaths), over 90% of firearm deaths are due to the use of ILLEGAL firearms. This of course means that most gun laws are redundant and have next to no effect when trying to prevent firearm deaths. So trying to create more laws will be an even larger waste of time & money and will grow government larger than it has to or even should be.

So instead, why don't we try enhancing programs to treat people with these illnesses?

The very first thing he signed upon entering office...

TRUMP OVERTURNS A MENTAL HEALTH REGULATION ON GUN PURCHASES

http://www.newsweek.com/trump-set-overt ... ion-557237

...and why you're wrong...yet again....

Psychiatrist: “Making Gun Violence About Mental Health Is Nuts”
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2017/1 ... alth-nuts/

....stupid motherfucker.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:38 am 

Mike Keefe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:04 am 

A few miles from my home, there is a young guy who was recently busted by the ATF- (Alcohol,Tobacco & Firearms) for attempting to covertly change a semi-automatic over to a fully automatic. He went to the owner of a local machine shop and asked him to reproduce ten "music box" pieces which evidently is code for this particular part. I'm thinking "Red-flag, red-flag...why would anyone have one let alone ten machine guns unless they had some bad things on their mind." The machine shop owner had no desire to get mixed up in this so he called the Feds.

The guy is facing a $250K fine and up to 10 years in a federal prison. He lives in a million dollar house and is on this reality show called "Keeping Up with the Putnams" in which 20 members of his family all live together. Why he would need that kind of illegal firepower is beyond my imagination.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:14 am 

Milton Bradley wrote:
. . . 20 members of his family all live together. Why he would need that kind of illegal firepower is beyond my imagination.
Ever heard of Thanksgiving dinner? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:44 am 

If Trump thinks dealing with mental health issues through treatment to prevent mass mass-shootings is so important , why does his newest budget slash funding for Medicaid, which, up until now, has provided funding for a quarter of all spending on behaviorial health?

In addition, Trump has suggested a 20% cut in funding for the Department of Health and Human Services in 2019.
http://www.businessinsider.de/trump-men ... ?r=US&IR=T

On the other hand, perhaps he's just worried that they'll find him out.

Post subject: Gun Reform
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:05 am 

Supreme Court lets California gun control laws stand

Washington (CNN) - The Supreme Court declined Tuesday to take up two gun-related cases out of California, maintaining its reluctance to dive back into the debate concerning the scope of the 2nd Amendment.

In an unsigned order, the court let stand a ruling upholding California's law mandating a 10-day waiting period and another imposing fees on firearm transactions to fund background checks.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:43 am 

Milton Bradley wrote:
A few miles from my home, there is a young guy who was recently busted by the ATF- (Alcohol,Tobacco & Firearms) for attempting to covertly change a semi-automatic over to a fully automatic. He went to the owner of a local machine shop and asked him to reproduce ten "music box" pieces which evidently is code for this particular part. I'm thinking "Red-flag, red-flag...why would anyone have one let alone ten machine guns unless they had some bad things on their mind." The machine shop owner had no desire to get mixed up in this so he called the Feds.

The guy is facing a $250K fine and up to 10 years in a federal prison. He lives in a million dollar house and is on this reality show called "Keeping Up with the Putnams" in which 20 members of his family all live together. Why he would need that kind of illegal firepower is beyond my imagination.

That's "Pure Michigan" for ya. :P

Post subject: Re: Gun Reform
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:48 am 

Mr. Nice Guy wrote:
Supreme Court lets California gun control laws stand

Washington (CNN) - The Supreme Court declined Tuesday to take up two gun-related cases out of California, maintaining its reluctance to dive back into the debate concerning the scope of the 2nd Amendment.

In an unsigned order, the court let stand a ruling upholding California's law mandating a 10-day waiting period and another imposing fees on firearm transactions to fund background checks.

In addition, mandatory annual psychological exams for ownership. Registry, insurance and background checks for every firearm sale/transfer paid by purchaser(s), must be 21 to buy......so much that could and should be done.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:08 pm 

Tweedle-Dumb-Diane-Bean-Counter wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:

The very first thing he signed upon entering office...

TRUMP OVERTURNS A MENTAL HEALTH REGULATION ON GUN PURCHASES

http://www.newsweek.com/trump-set-overt ... ion-557237

Caputh wrote:
If Trump thinks dealing with mental health issues through treatment to prevent mass mass-shootings is so important , why does his newest budget slash funding for Medicaid, which, up until now, has provided funding for a quarter of all spending on behaviorial health?

In addition, Trump has suggested a 20% cut in funding for the Department of Health and Human Services in 2019.
http://www.businessinsider.de/trump-men ... ?r=US&IR=T

On the other hand, perhaps he's just worried that they'll find him out.

“It is correct to state that there is no inherent connection between being mentally ill and being dangerous,” Senator Chris Murphy (D-Conn.)

Btw, earlier today, Trump proposed a bump stock ban. But of course, NO ONE here is praising him for that... :roll:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1807 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73  Next