Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:24 am 

bob r wrote:
Sorry about lost post in above quote.I would not think of disrespecting him like that, I'm sure his father raised him better than to lie to fans. He just got himself in a little deep and hasn't made it right.Yet. I don't think that it's a fair comparison to make as far as "unfinished projects". Let's not forget whose site we're on. Frank was the most prolific composer in recent American history, maybe Charles Ives and a few others, but most people never heard of them.Dweezil does a GREAT job of re-creating his father's music, but without the composition he can't even begin to be discussed in the same league as his dad(in terms of "projects unfinished"). Let us not forget "The Yellow Shark", a fitting final finished project.

Does that make what he is doing easier or harder???He has to learn to play his father’s solos as well as teach a band and teach himself to simulate the performances...while satisfying Zappa Fans, very picky people if you will. All while figuring out how to rerelease his father’s unfinished or unreleased works using technologies in advance of what was being used at the time the projects were halted or the tracks were recorded. The whole time trying to keep a bunch of old fart crabby fans satisfied when they all seem to know a better way and what needs to be done and all this with a Mother who has her own ideas about what is, what was, and what should never be.

I say we thank him for what he has done and wish him all the luck in the world for continued success... :!:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:17 pm 

He, Dweezil, has chosen this way by himself. It would most possibly be a little less complicated working on a farm, as a rocket-scientist or nursery nurse. Guitar-players are a pretty weird species, and this already without their solos, extravagant sun-glasses and very peculiar stage-stunts.

Apropos Rock-It Scholarship, you roll, Plook. Yo man, peace. Something else, I could imagine that prog rock is no outlandish word for you. So give PapaJ's Matinée a fair try, tune in Saturdays at 7pm local on to http://www.deliciousagony.com. There is a chat with a few aficionados. Now we need a nick for ya, dude, let us think. Laters.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:51 pm 

Plook wrote:
bob r wrote:
Sorry about lost post in above quote.I would not think of disrespecting him like that, I'm sure his father raised him better than to lie to fans. He just got himself in a little deep and hasn't made it right.Yet. I don't think that it's a fair comparison to make as far as "unfinished projects". Let's not forget whose site we're on. Frank was the most prolific composer in recent American history, maybe Charles Ives and a few others, but most people never heard of them.Dweezil does a GREAT job of re-creating his father's music, but without the composition he can't even begin to be discussed in the same league as his dad(in terms of "projects unfinished"). Let us not forget "The Yellow Shark", a fitting final finished project.

Does that make what he is doing easier or harder???He has to learn to play his father’s solos as well as teach a band and teach himself to simulate the performances...while satisfying Zappa Fans, very picky people if you will. All while figuring out how to rerelease his father’s unfinished or unreleased works using technologies in advance of what was being used at the time the projects were halted or the tracks were recorded. The whole time trying to keep a bunch of old fart crabby fans satisfied when they all seem to know a better way and what needs to be done and all this with a Mother who has her own ideas about what is, what was, and what should never be.

I say we thank him for what he has done and wish him all the luck in the world for continued success... :!:

I hadn't quite thought of it that way, but Plook you got a good point. Thanks and good luck, Dweeze!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:11 pm 

I say we thank him for what he's done, and I have, like many of us. I also say he knew what he was getting into, and shouldn't be irritated with the fans. All we ask is for him to provide things he promised. And don't forget he and his mom harrassing perfectly well intentioned FZ tribute bands...... So, he's got the yin, he's got the yang.

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:34 pm 

I'd like to see them just for the sake of hearing Franks music live. I'm still pissed that since I bought the zpz dvd the audio quality wasn't great.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:29 pm 

hotrat5 wrote:
. I'm still pissed that since I bought the zpz dvd the audio quality wasn't great.

Sorry you felt that way, we thought the audio quality was really good!We are talking about the Portland/Seattle one, aren't we? Were you by any chance listening to it through your T.V. audio without running it through a separate audio system first? Many flat screens (and C.R.T.'s too) have really noisy pre-amp sections not to mention crappy speakers!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:07 pm 

I would agree with the OP. I have seen ZPZ every time they came to the the UK ( the second visit with Ray WHite being the best, IMO ), I started to feel the cracks in the wallpaper whilst watching their last performance here, with the new vocalsit.

1. Not featuring really good ex - Zappa sidemen due to politics. Not everyone wants to see Dweezil.

2. Set list - No set list featuring Zappa's music is bad, but the same old tunes just seemed a little pointless.

3. The ZFT have royally fucked up on handling FZ's work. Simple as that.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:27 pm 

As Zappa fans, we're spoiled. We get 2 or 3 new releases AND a ZPZ tour annually. When you think about it, we're actually quite lucky. Also, the recent ZPZ tour setlists haven't really stayed the same, though there hasn't been a major change. And Dweezil recently stated that there'll be a new keyboardist in the band by the time they hit the road again. So there should be more setlist variety. I'm not saying the ZFT is perfect because they're definitely not but we should enjoy it while it lasts because this probably won't last forever. We have to somewhat stop being so picky because life is WAY too short.

I don't know about anyone else...but I'll NEVER lose interest in the music of Frank Zappa being performed live, regardless of the lineup. That's for god damn sure.

June 15 is less than three months away! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:45 pm 

PappaWas1975 wrote:
I would agree with the OP. I have seen ZPZ every time they came to the the UK ( the second visit with Ray WHite being the best, IMO ), I started to feel the cracks in the wallpaper whilst watching their last performance here, with the new vocalsit.
1. Not featuring really good ex - Zappa sidemen due to politics. Not everyone wants to see Dweezil.
2. Set list - No set list featuring Zappa's music is bad, but the same old tunes just seemed a little pointless.
I have totally lost interest in dweezil.

PappaWas1975 wrote:
simply put. yes.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:18 pm 

Lumpy Gravy wrote:
PappaWas1975 wrote:

PappaWas1975 wrote:
simply put. yes.

That's too bad...your missing out on all the fun, last show I went too I met up with several forum members and we had a great time at a great show...life is to short to sweat the small shit.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:15 pm 

Plook wrote:
That's too bad...your missing out on all the fun, last show I went too I met up with several forum members and we had a great time at a great show...life is to short to sweat the small shit.

That's why i don't. I don't need to pay £50 to hear Cosmik Debris and Echidna's Arf performed every year either.

Post subject: It continues to evolve.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:51 am 

Plook wrote:
Lumpy Gravy wrote:
PappaWas1975 wrote:

PappaWas1975 wrote:
simply put. yes.

Plook,

To each their own but from my perspective the only individuals fucking up are those with closed eggshell minds
that spend more time chiseling away at internet diatribe than attending DZPZs shows where they could even
perform a critical analysis of a 4 full year and counting adventure.
Some of these folks seemingly have a short view on the progression of DZPZ tainted in quotients of Alumni Ejectamenta
be it if it was a Frank Zappa concert or a DZPZ Concert.

As I have stated so many times I remember quite well hearing the many complaints of no Ike Willis at the Palladium in 1981.
Some of them fans had no clue as to what they just had witnessed Zappa's Band perform Sans Ike Willis.
It took some of the Ignoramus years to understand that one of FZs best bands had no Ike Willis in it
and many will not see the diversity of DZPZ until years of touring projects are released because they think with a prejudice mind set.
Unless you go to 20 DZPZ shows since 2006 you may not see as much diversity as one would like
because you were limited to how much you saw and how much is officially released.

During the 81' Halloween run "sans Ike Willis" Zappa's Band performed some difficult written material such as Jumbo Go Away, Envelopes, Drowning Witch, What’s New in Baltimore, Sinister Footwear, Alien Orifice & Strictly Genteel where these all contain a level of performance that Ike Willis had nothing to do with and the Zero Alumni Quotient is doing an amazing job these days.

When I heard DZPZ perform any of the 12 new additions such as Wonderful Wino (Playground Psychotics arrangement), RDNZL
......please see the list below, not in any one of these selections or where Ben Thomas is now singing lead and or with other band members did I ever say
where is Ray White or where is Ike Willis. The band is so much better with Ben Thomas as a lead singer than Ray White as a lead singer.
I enjoyed Ray White but I welcome the change and am extremely surprised at just how far Ben Thomas has come along in a short period of time.

Ray White was really good for some of the material such as Bamboozled By Love, Illinois Enema Bandit and quite a few others
but others such as "Zomby Woof" and "Montana as heard in the Return Of The Son Of... Audio Samples
plain and simple Ben Thomas is better suited for the material. On the same token Ben is singing the shit out of Bamboozled By Love
where it's just taking the house down.

Fortunately there will be enough material released with Ray White to get a good sampling of what Ray White did do with the band
but what this band has done since Ben Thomas and where they are headed is a monster of higher ambient domains.
The band sounds amazing, the band continues to add new arrangements and are auditioning a keyboard player.
A new keyboard player is going to further open up arrangement possibilities but since the end of 2008 I for one have thoroughly enjoyed
what they have brought to the stage each and every night where DZPZ has delivered plenty of diversity.

It's about the music though and DZPZ is digging deeper and deeper into FZs canon.
When each and every arrangement they have performed since 2006 is released on CDs, DVDs & Blu-Ray
you will see the progression of this band since 2006 to that point. It continues to evolve.
It's about FZ the composer and each tour has brought forth so much digging into that mountain that the composer created.
What DZ & his band delivers night after night is chiseling at a diverse landscape. Same Fucking Set List My Ass.

Trendmonger wrote:
manichispanic wrote:
same fuckin set list they've had for 2 years now i bet...

This manichispanic individual seems to be severely mistaken.
I can only suspect manichispanic has not been to too many DZPZ shows in the last two years.
The diversity that DZPZ has delivered while sans one keyboard player is quite remarkable.
But still they are Auditioning for a Keyboardist and some of the preliminary vids are impressively in the ball park..
http://www.dweezilzappaworld.com/articl ... yboardists

http://www.dweezilzappaworld.com/videos/216

Ben Thomas is singing with Authority . I am hearing from so many people how much he sounds like
Frank and his all around soulfulness is bringing so much to the show where Ray White's Timbre
was not as good a match for "Zomby Woof" and "Montana" .
Just listen to the samples from Return Of The Son Of...
for these are two fine examples of what Ben Thomas can bring.

http://www.dweezilzappaworld.com/songs/ ... the-son-of

On top of the arrangements since Aaron Arntz depatrure where they are sans 1 keyboard player
there is still a definitive sense of diversity in arrangements and DZs Air Sculptures
are in that FZ frame model as much as I have ever heard anyone perform like FZ
while still maintaining a unique sense of diversity over the long haul.

The Fractal Experiments sound clips are from early 2009
and DZs solos have additionally taken on a variety
of FZ like landscapes in the last year.

http://www.dweezilzappaworld.com/songs/ ... xperiments

Here is an Opening Night Preview from Fall Tour 2009
http://www.dweezilzappaworld.com/videos/5

But on top of that for those in need of set list additions.
2009/10 Additions.......

1)Jones Crusher
2)Wonderful Wino (Playground Psychotics arrangement)
3)RDNZL
4)You Didn't Try to Call Me (1976 arrangement)
5)Road Ladies
6)T'Mershi Duween
7)Don't You Ever Wash That Thing
8)Ms Pinky
9)Catholic Girls
10)Crew Slut
11)Room Service
12) Bobby Brown Goes Down

2008 ZPZ YCFOSA Tour ZPZ Setlist Song Selection:

• Advance Romance
• Ain't Got No Heart
• Andy
• Bamboozled By Love
• Beauty Knows No Pain
• Black Napkins
• Black Page #1
• Black Page #2
• Broken Hearts Are For Assholes
• Camarillo Brillo
• Carolina Hard Core Ecstasy
• Cheepnis
• Chunga's Revenge
• City Of Tiny Lites
• Cosmik Debris
• Dirty Love
• Dog Breath
• Doreen
• Duprees Paradise
• Eat That Question
• Echidna's Arf Of You
• Father Oblivion
• Fembot In A Wet T-Shirt
• Filthy Habits
• Flakes
• Florentine Pogen
• G-SPOT Tornado
• He Used to Cut The Grass
• How Could I Be Such A Fool?
• Idiot Bastard Son
• Illinois Enema Bandit
• I'm A Beautiful Guy
• Imaginary Diseases
• I'm Not Satisfied
• Inca Roads
• Joe's Garage
• King Kong
• Lucille
• Magic Fingers
• Montana
• More Trouble Everyday
• Muffin Man
• My Guitar Wants To Kill Your Mama
• Oh No
• Outside Now
• Packard Goose
• Peaches En Regalia
• Pound For A Brown
• Purple Lagoon
• Pygmy Twylyte (Roxy Version)
• Pygmy Twylyte (Quaalude Thunder Version)
• San Berdino
• Sharleena Original version
• Sofa
• Son of Orange County
• St. Alfonzo's Pancake Breakfast
• Stinkfoot
• Tell Me You Love Me
• The Torture Never Stops
• Treacherous Cretins
• Uncle Remus
• Village Of The Sun
• What's New In Baltimore
• Willie The Pimp
• Wind Up Workin' In A Gas Station
• Yellow Snow
• Yo Mama
• Zomby Woof

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:04 am 

Froth Theater wrote:
...so many bubbles.

This time one gets complete the picture, Gary, sees the fox is jumping every which way and just a few can follow. What we are now only have to wait for is that a forumer turns into a unique fairytale character at each Cape .. it is changing the wet clothes. ...even a beginning sorceress has a guiding ocean-line. Ok, witch is way too fussy when she dreams of a simmering cauldron on stage where primordial sludge flutters out of and woosh, a James La-la Brie. To dooh and now over to ya.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:10 pm 

That's why I make more of an effort to see bands like Project/Object over ZPZ.

I like to see Alumni

They tend to play at smaller venues which I prefer

They add more of their own style to the songs

It doesn't give the ZFT money

those are just some of my reasons. haha

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:11 pm 

Uncle_Meat1940 wrote:
That's why I make more of an effort to see bands like Project/Object over ZPZ.

I like to see Alumni

They tend to play at smaller venues which I prefer

They add more of their own style to the songs

It doesn't give the ZFT money

those are just some of my reasons. haha

I agree, even though P/O never come to the UK.

The Grandmothers were excellent last time they were here though.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:43 pm 

I'd go see ZPZ again. At least they came to my area.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:49 pm 

I'll go see ZPZ as often as they come to Wisconsin/Illinois/Minnesota. I don't know how you can not enjoy seeing them, to each their own though.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:04 pm 

I say seeing Scheila G is worth the price of admission...what say U ???

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:56 am 

It's... I can very much understand your sentiments, all. The Eindhoven concert was, as much as I loved having Dweezil that close to my house, much below DZ's standard. He made errors and was tuning a lot. Still he charged much much more than most major concerts at the same venue. Plus Dweezil is not, how to put it... much of a showman. Maybe he just doesn't make the right choices... getting exactly the right guitar sound and touring with that equipment is of little effect, and I don't think that the "perfect" record guitar sound is what you should aim for at a concert. After all, my CDs do a better job at that.
Still I'm an ex-DZ celeb crusher and next time he plays The Netherlands (unless he does so before my ankle is better) I will be in the front row waving and squealing inside.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:48 am 

BBP wrote:
It's... I can very much understand your sentiments, all. The Eindhoven concert was, as much as I loved having Dweezil that close to my house, much below DZ's standard. He made errors and was tuning a lot. Still he charged much much more than most major concerts at the same venue. Plus Dweezil is not, how to put it... much of a showman. Maybe he just doesn't make the right choices... getting exactly the right guitar sound and touring with that equipment is of little effect, and I don't think that the "perfect" record guitar sound is what you should aim for at a concert. After all, my CDs do a better job at that.
Still I'm an ex-DZ celeb crusher and next time he plays The Netherlands (unless he does so before my ankle is better) I will be in the front row waving and squealing inside.

This post made a very good point. It is exactly how I feel about DZPZ. Now it may seem to some that I somehow "insulted" the legacy of Frank Zappa's music or that I don't want people to see Dweezil's show. NOT TRUE! I really enjoyed the first two tours the best, for two reasons. One, I hadn't seen Terry Bozzio in a long while and Steve Vai as well. Having Napoleon Murphy Brock as part of the band was,to me exciting as he was in the band the first time I saw Frank (1975), Bozzio was in that band as well. Two, Ray White has always been a favorite of mine since I saw Frank the second time (1976). For these 2 reasons alone, it was worth the price of the ticket. The YCFOSA show was attractive because of the size of the venue and the promise of a download from the show I attended (another topic that has been discussed elsewhere), plus Billy The Mountain was being performed. Now because of that last show, not getting my souvenier of that show and now with no Zappa Alumni in his band, I PERSONALLY don't feel the need to go to anymore shows. If others want to go, I say enjoy it, maybe even be turned on by it and then go and buy Frank's music and REALLY have a good time with it. That's all I have to say.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:40 am 

zootallurs wrote:
BBP wrote:

This post made a very good point. It is exactly how I feel about DZPZ. Now it may seem to some that I somehow "insulted" the legacy of Frank Zappa's music or that I don't want people to see Dweezil's show. NOT TRUE! I really enjoyed the first two tours the best, for two reasons. One, I hadn't seen Terry Bozzio in a long while and Steve Vai as well. Having Napoleon Murphy Brock as part of the band was,to me exciting as he was in the band the first time I saw Frank (1975), Bozzio was in that band as well. Two, Ray White has always been a favorite of mine since I saw Frank the second time (1976). For these 2 reasons alone, it was worth the price of the ticket. The YCFOSA show was attractive because of the size of the venue and the promise of a download from the show I attended (another topic that has been discussed elsewhere), plus Billy The Mountain was being performed. Now because of that last show, not getting my souvenier of that show and now with no Zappa Alumni in his band, I PERSONALLY don't feel the need to go to anymore shows. If others want to go, I say enjoy it, maybe even be turned on by it and then go and buy Frank's music and REALLY have a good time with it. That's all I have to say.

I agree with your sentiments, I thought that the 1st 2 tours were the bomb , seeing Vai and Bozzio was great, I think Brock is one of the most talented musicians Frank ever used. His dancing while he sings (and plays!) is fantastic, when I saw him with P/O he really kicked it! I appreciate Dweezil's efforts, just personally will spend my bucks somewheres else, money is tight these days, if he ever straightens out the download fiasco we will prob. check him out at least once more. Ray was good, although it was apparent he was not happy on the last tour through Seattle when we talked to him before the show

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:17 pm 

I'm kinda hoping that Dweezil goes off on his own again (nothing against ZPZ).

Post subject: Re: lost interest in zpz
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:43 pm 

PappaWas1975 wrote:
Lumpy Gravy wrote:
Plook wrote:
well, I did see zpz in 2006, in philadelphia.
and sure, it was great to see vai, brock and bozzio. and dweezil's band was great too. don't get me wrong on that.
it's just that the course he has taken since then, doesn't really interest me.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:54 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
I'd go see ZPZ again. At least they came to my area.

Yeah, I never even got to see them with the big all-star lineup. Ray White was the only alum with them when they came to my town, and I still got teary eyed hearing all these great songs played by a bunch of ridiculously talented musicians. I would gladly see them again if they came back to Birmingham, no matter who's in the band.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:28 am 

madcow1515 wrote:
...I would gladly see them again if they came back to Birmingham, no matter who's in the band.

Even Milli Vanilli?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next