Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2707 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 105, 106, 107, 108, 109  Next
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:46 pm 

^^^^^ Awesome! ^^^^^

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:07 pm 

Cool!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:40 pm 

The non Metallica road trip to thhti Auckland City departs in aproximately: 3 days and 15 hours

One of the non Metallica road trip team has heroically dropped out due to a "fake family commitment" to make room for Cookie. Cookie doesn't know it yet, but we've binned the original itinerary and secretly made contact with a number of her/our friends and family located throughout the North Island and we will zigzag our way up the island on what has now been renamed "Cookie's Farewell Tour part one"

Depending on how Cookie copes with part one, part two is programmed to depart on: November the 7th and, health permitting, will include the U2 Concert.....

All the members of U2 road trip team had quietly volunteered to give up their seats, concert tickets and hotel rooms to make this trip happen.....

I fell so privileged to call these guys my friends.....

After an elimination game of stone skin shears (rock paper scissors) Joe 90 was the man giving it all up for Cookie.....

Joe was also the man who came up with the "fake family commitment" ruse to give Cookie his seat on the non Metallica road trip/Cookie's Farewell Tour part one.....

Joe 90 is a massive U2 fan, The Edge (not Bono) is his god, much like Trump is to DB* or Alice Cooper is to me. Joe has had a tough year and is not quite as well resourced as some of us, so the balance of the team selflessly put together the money and managed to get Joe a U2 VIP package and plane tickets, we couldn't swing the hotel, but after some tricky negotiations
(peace in the Middle East would have been easier) I organized Joe a One Night Only sofa at the Maldivian princess's apartment.....

Joe 90 doesn't know it yet but he is going to U2 too.

*It's a joke DB

Last edited by Gray_Ghost on Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:50 pm 

^^You’re very lucky to have such good friends, GG! They’re lucky to have U2. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:00 pm 

:lol:

Cheers KU'

maybe I'll get my reward in hea.....oh wait..... :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:22 am 

Here we go: 8 hours 38 minutes to the departure of the non Metallica/Cookie's farewell tour part one.....the vehicles are prepped and packed for a clean getaway, the forecast is looking awesome, and there's a mini party underway in the cave.....

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:24 am 

Bon voyage!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:11 pm 

Travel safe my friend and we want frequent updates, don't make me call Lester Holt.... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:07 pm 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
Here we go: 8 hours 38 minutes to the departure of the non Metallica/Cookie's farewell tour part one.....the vehicles are prepped and packed for a clean getaway, the forecast is looking awesome, and there's a mini party underway in the cave.....

Iron Maiden says they'll be down under in 2020. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:55 pm 

Tonight:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:02 pm 

^^^Enjoy Cal!!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:03 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
Tonight:

I'm happy you're seeing them! :twisted:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:44 am 

It was great. The sound could have been better, but I think that was the theater and not the band's fault. My son and I went. This was our view for the first set:

At the intermission, a friend of mine (who had seats in the orchestra) said "Come on down, there are two empty seats and one of the staff said you could have them" So, this was our view for the second set:

An amazing experience.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:12 am 

What an upgrade... :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:03 am 

^^
^^
Nice!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:55 pm 

You lucky bastard! :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:06 am 

Wow! good stuff Cal!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:07 am 

coevad wrote:
Gray_Ghost wrote:

sign me up! :lol:

Iron Maiden have announced they'll be at the Spark Arena in thhti Auckland on May 13th 2020.....
no ticket sale dates yet.....

I just got tickets to John Mayall for April 9th

Last edited by Gray_Ghost on Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:12 am 

The emotional roller coaster continues

7 hours and 48 minutes till the departure of the U2/Cookie's farewell tour part two.....

part one was excellent, we caught up with a bunch of family and friends, many that Cookie hadn't seen in thirty plus years. We stopped off at lake Taupo and met up with one of her cousins who had organized a surprise fishing trip, he caught half a dozen rainbow trout that Cookie had on the onboard barbeque within minutes of capture.....food from heaven.....
Poor old Cookie was exhausted by the time we hit the hell hole hotel, turned out she had been the head chef there about 10 years ago and after some name dropping she got us an upgrade which was nice and also finagled a room for Joe 90 for this Friday night, depriving the Maldivian Princess of a sofa surfer, which puts me right back in her good books.....

Team U2 are planning on shaving their heads in a show of solidarity.....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:36 am 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
The emotional roller coaster continues

7 hours and 48 minutes till the departure of the U2/Cookie's farewell tour part two.....

part one was excellent, we caught up with a bunch of family and friends, many that Cookie hadn't seen in thirty plus years. We stopped off at lake Taupo and met up with one of her cousins who had organized a surprise fishing trip, he caught half a dozen rainbow trout that Cookie had on the onboard barbeque within minutes of capture.....food from heaven.....
Poor old Cookie was exhausted by the time we hit the hell hole hotel, turned out she had been the head chef there about 10 years ago and after some name dropping she got us an upgrade which was nice and also finagled a room for Joe 90 for this Friday night, depriving the Maldivian Princess of a sofa surfer, which puts me right back in her good books.....

Team U2 are planning on shaving their heads in a show of solidarity.....

Can we get some beautiful bean footage... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:25 pm 

Free ride seats! Great!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:58 pm 

U2 November 8th 2019

https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/m ... happy-fans

https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/m ... d-concerts

https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/m ... nd-concert

https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/m ... eg-carroll

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:10 am 

The mostly hairless Team U2 had a great time, Joe 90 managed to get a general admission ticket for the second show and Cookie pulled some strings so he could stay on at the hell hole hotel for another night.....despite the enormous peer group pressure I was expressly forbidden from the head shaving by she who mast be obeyed.....

Noel Gallagher and his High Flying Birds were great, they played a bunch of their own songs
which were ok, excellent horn section. Noel said the first set of HFB songs was for him, the second set of Oasis "hits" was for us, after making some comments about England beating the New Zealand at the Rugby World Cup.....they finished up with a rousing rendition of the Beatles All You Need is Love.....

The U2 stage was huge and the visuals were spectacular, they started the concert on a little Joshua tree shaped stage about 100 metres out in the audience where we got, after a little speech from Bono about this being a special night that we would never forget.....

Sunday Bloody Sunday (entire place bathed in red light)
New Year's Day (at Bono's request every one waved their lit phones about)
Bad
America
Pride/In the Name of Love

Then the band went up onto the main stage which, till then had been dark, for the Joshua Tree album

Where the Streets Have No Name
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
With or Without You
Bullet the Blue Sky
Running to Stand Still
Red Hill Mining Town
In God's Country
Trip Through Your Wires
One Tree Hill (which included a tribute to Greg Carol)
Exit
Mothers of the Disappeared
Angel of Harlem

Encore:

Elevation
Vertigo
Even Better Than the Real Thing
Every Breaking Wave
Beautiful Day
Ultraviolet
Love Is Bigger Than Anything in Its Way
One

At one stage Bono had a hand held camera broadcasting whatever he was filming up onto the big screen, this included the audience and close ups of th' Edge's fingers on the fret board and of course Bono's face.....the images were distorted and extremely trippy.....

The big screen was used to display the names of the people who died in the Christchurch mosque shootings and there were survivors (many in wheel chairs) in the audience as guests of the band

They also displayed images of famous NZ women past and present (which many of the dumbasses in our immediate vicinity didn't seem to recognise)

A couple of rows down from us were a small group of beautiful 18 to 25 year old easy on the eyes ladies dancing there asses off for the entire concert, which gave me something to look at instead of the drunken dancing Jumbo blocking my view for most of the second half of the concert.....I'm waiting for the dvd to see what I missed.....

Part two of Cookie's farewell tour back up the island was mostly on the west coast, then we cut across using mainly back roads to the Coromandel peninsula, where "surprise" we dropped in on her aunt and uncle at their farm, we did a spot of horse riding which was great fun for Cookie, being a horsy girl from way back. They had a half dozen new born (pygmy) ponies that were oh so cute, one in particular immediately attached herself to Cookie, this thing was cream with brown spots much like a chocolate chip cookie.....Cookie's niece, once she had caught on to her auntie Gail's nickname immediately christened the pony Cookie.....She's been getting pony photos daily.....The trip back down the island was fantastic, we stuck mostly to the seldom traveled east coast roads, all in all one hell of a trip.....
Cookie's going to need to sleep for a week.....

Not being a facebooker (anymore) or instagramer or photobucketer I haven't the tech to post
personal photos online.....

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:48 am 

U2 review: Bono brings his big screen, bigger ego to Auckland
1 day ago

He had, for the most part, kept it in check. For the first half of last night's performance at Mt Smart Stadium, you could almost say Bono's ego had lost its edge.

Perhaps it was the occasion. U2 have jumped on the nostalgia bandwagon for their latest tour, performing in full The Joshua Tree, their Grammy-winning, chart-topping album from 1987 that turned the promising Irish rockers into arena-bothering superstars.

Delivering an entire album in the days of streaming and Spotify could be a concession that U2 view their days as rock innovators as over.

Their choice of opening act on this tour, a sprightly Noel Gallagher - compared to Kanye West and Jay Z on previous stadium jaunts here - would certainly back that thought up.

But that hit-jammed record still means a lot to fans, a fact proven by last night's show quickly selling out, with tonight's repeat gig heading that way too.

Besides, at U2's first big gig here since 2010, that album clearly meant a lot to the band as well.

After performing a throat-clearing burst of hits on a small stage in the middle of the stadium, Bono and co delivered The Joshua Tree's ubiquitous hits with all of the bombast of a band that clearly knows exactly what it's doing with this stadium rock thing.

The fans, baying, jumping, and screaming for more, lapped it up, a crowd so passionate it felt at times like this was fan worship at the church of U2.

A big album demands big visuals, and U2 didn't disappoint on that front either. They brought with them the biggest screen ever used for a touring concert, a stadium-wide behemoth that paired intoxicating visuals by Anton Corbijn, the album's cover designer, with each song.

‘Where the Streets Have No Name’ was set to a slow-mo road trip. ‘I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For’ came with a gloomy forest walk. More troubling was ‘Mothers of the Disappeared’, which included a row of hooded women blowing out their own candles.

The metaphors were obvious, but the imposing scale was impressive, a gigantic video wall that Donald Trump - who was mentioned several times during the night, and not in a good way - would be proud of.

When the band delivered those non-single songs ‘Bullet the Blue Sky’ and ‘Exit’ as the feisty rebel yelps they were designed to be, it suggested that this was going to be more than just another excuse for The Edge to send those epic guitar licks of his up into the corners of Mt Smart Stadium.

A heartfelt and now traditional tribute of ‘One Tree Hill’ to Greg Carroll, the band's Kiwi roadie who died in a motorbike accident in 1986, also added to the scale. It was one of several dedications, including the closer, ‘One’, to Christchurch, and ‘Ultraviolet (Light My Way)’ to Bono's charity One.

Up until the encore, Bono had been so well behaved. Yes, there'd been a few strange musings about immigration, freedom, Irish history and America's political troubles during the first half of the show.

Mostly, though, he'd kept that ego of his - the one responsible for doing things like making an entire U2 album show up unwanted in millions of iTunes libraries - well under control.

But as he emerged from the break wearing a top hat with black paint smeared above his eyes, something had clearly changed. Bono ripped through the night's biggest anthems ‘Elevation’ and ‘Vertigo’, charging down the stage's runway while doing things most 59-year-olds probably shouldn't.

Then he paused, and, before ‘Even Better Than the Real Thing’, a wide-ranging lecture began Bono told the Kiwi crowd off for their insecurities, called himself a shaman, then declared that he'd been "diagnosed as a megalomaniac ... and it's getting worse".

Finally, and inexplicably, he screamed: "Paul's dead ... I'm sir f------ Bono".

It was the night's most bonkers moment, a did-that-really-just-happen couple of minutes that veered dangerously close to the kind of mockumentary territory Ricky Gervais based his entire career around.

After that, the show started to wobble. Things got corny. ‘Beautiful Day’ remains a dripping fondue of a rock song, and when followed by the preachy charity of ‘Ultraviolet (Light My Way)’ and cloying ballad ‘Love is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way’, the show ended not with a bang, but a bit of a wimper.

It was a shame, because up until that point, it had been an epic night of nostalgia. After four decades on rock's frontlines, you can't blame U2 for finally looking back.

But if this is really all that's left for them, someone might want to warn Bono to tone down the theatrics so the songs are left to shine.

http://www.msn.com/en-nz/entertainment/ ... ocid=ientp

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:58 am 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
coevad wrote:
Gray_Ghost wrote:

sign me up! :lol:

Iron Maiden have announced they'll be at the Spark Arena in thhti Auckland on May 13th 2020.....
no ticket sale dates yet.....

I just got tickets to John Mayall for April 9th.....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2707 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 105, 106, 107, 108, 109  Next