Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2779 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110 ... 112  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:24 pm 

Plook wrote:
I'm pretty sure KU is seeing the Hendrix Experience tonight... :?

Decided not to go.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:35 pm 

KUIII wrote:
^^
^^Excellent! KC is probably the concert event of the year if you can make one (I can’t). Looks like a lot more people in the audience than they would usually play for in the US.

Exactly!

Tony Levin wrote:
King Crimson’s first time playing Brazil, we didn’t know what kind of audience to expect, and it was great.

The venue is Espaço das Américas - after the old theaters we’ve been playing, this looks like a huge rock club! But turned out the sound was very good, so we’re pleased with the choice of venue.

...I also should praise how surprised I was with Jeremy Stacey's piano and keyboard playing... On Red he played chaotically, as Hermeto Pascoal would, and I grinned ear to ear...

PS. About Hendrix Exp., KUIII don't feel bad, when you gotta go, you gotta go. When you don't, you don't (deep philostophy).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:17 pm 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
I didn't know that Nick Cave was friends of the singer from INXS for a few years before he died. I thought it was hilarious that NC said that it was mutually beneficial in that NC got to experience INXS's level of fame and the INXS guy got to experience NC's artistic credibility, hahaha.

NC not only knew Michael Hutchence but he's also Tiger Lily Hutchence's Godfather. In fact, he even sang at his funeral. Btw, NC wasn't the only one jealous of MH. You can add a SHITLOAD of other artists to that list...most notably, Bono and Mick Jagger...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:43 pm 

Why do you say Nick Cave was jealous of Michael Hutchence? It sounds like they were best friends. The comment about fame vs. artistry seems tongue in cheek and in good fun (even self deprecating). I’ve read too that Bono was a friend and I don’t know why someone of Jagger’s stature would be jealous. You seem to love MH almost as much as you love Trump. Nothing wrong with that I guess. I’d be interested to hear who some of the others were that were in that shitload.

I do believe that Bob Geldof must have really hated the guy. That’s different than being jealous though.

Last edited by KUIII on Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:05 pm 

KUIII wrote:
Why do you say Nick Cave was jealous of Michael Hutchence? It sounds like they were best friends. The comment about fame vs. artistry seems tongue in cheek and in good fun (even self deprecating).

Because he was. And yes, they were very good friends. They were both jealous of each other, actually. Though, in different ways. That's what NC's point was. It wasn't just tongue-in-cheek.

KUIII wrote:
I’ve read too that Bono was a friend and I don’t know why someone of Jagger’s stature would be jealous. You seem to love MH almost as much as you love Trump. Nothing wrong with that I guess. I’d be interested to hear who some of the others were that were in that shitload.

Two documentaries for you: The Last Rockstar (2017) & Mystify (2019) (though, this doc isn't out yet apart from in Australia & New Zealand, but it has premiered at several film festivals).

KUIII wrote:
I do believe that Bob Geldof must have really hated the guy. That’s different than being jealous though.

Geldof didn't hate MH at all. Though, MH definitely grew to hate Geldof. But it's a very long story as to why that was...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:16 pm 

^^Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:03 am 

KUIII wrote:
... The comment about fame vs. artistry seems tongue in cheek and in good fun (even self deprecating)...

Correct

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:02 pm 

KUIII wrote:
^^Thanks.

No problem.

Michael Stipe also knew Michael and recently said, "He raised the bar for both myself and Bono...He was such an amazing rock star."

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/ ... d-pop-star

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:29 pm 

As Metallica have piked out on their trip down under, and swayed by Plook's review, I've invested the refund toward:
November, 23rd, Wellington City.....
and, just for the hell of it, and another road trip:
December, 3rd, thhti Auckland City.....

The non Metallica road trip to thhti Auckland is still all go, among the planned activities is an event for us petrol heads called Big Boys Toys which is held over the three days we'll be deep in the hell hole. Featuring exotic motorbikes cars and earth moving equipment https://bigboystoys.co.nz/

Last edited by Gray_Ghost on Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:01 am 

Disco Boy wrote:
Michael Stipe also knew Michael and recently said, "He raised the bar for both myself and Bono...He was such an amazing rock star."

you know who the band (inxs) wanted/asked to replace mh after his passing, right?

you probably do.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:13 am 

lapsed maps wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:

you know who the band (inxs) wanted/asked to replace mh after his passing, right?

you probably do.

Tom Jones? Tiny Tim? The guy in GWAR?

I remember that tv show where they were looking for a replacement. I think they did an album and tour with that guy.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:17 am 

KUIII wrote:
lapsed maps wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:

you probably do.

Tom Jones? Tiny Tim? The guy in GWAR?

I remember that tv show where they were looking for a replacement. I think they did an album and tour with that guy.

It was Engelbert Humperdinck but he had a previous commitment... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:23 am 

Disco Boy wrote:
KUIII wrote:
^^Thanks.

No problem.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/ ... d-pop-star

I saw a docudrama about them it was a short series of 2 hour episodes if I remember correctly and in that dubiously reliable format he came off quite good as a Jim Morrison type of figure who just should of stayed clear of substance abuse...they have always been one of my favorite 80's bands...Footnote, if I also remember this correctly the show gave a huge node to their creative process and how they came up with their big hits in and out of the studio...it leaned heavy on the music I want to say...I would watch it again... 8)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:10 pm 

INXS asked/wanted a number of singers to join after MH died and some of them did.

In 2002/2003 they toured with Jon Stevens. But unfortunately, that didn't work out. And then in 2005 they found JD Fortune through the Rockstar INXS TV series, which led to a new album entitled, Switch, which they toured until 2007. In 2010, they released an album of re-arranged classics with other singers/artists (Rob Thomas, Tricky, Ben Harper, Beck, John Mayer, etc.), called, Original Sin and toured that release with JD Fortune. In 2011 & 2012, vocalist Ciaran Gribbin also toured with them.

In 2014, the docudrama mini-series that Plook mentioned, entitled, Never Tear Us Apart was released (I HIGHLY recommend this). 1 in 10 Aussies watched it, and as a result, INXS reached a whole new generation and their near entire catalogue was back on the Australian charts again. In fact, The Very Best Of INXS was the highest selling album in Australia that year. There were plans for a 40th Anniversary tour in 2017. But shortly beforehand, Tim Farriss endured a horrible injury on a rental boat that led to one of his fingers being severed (several other fingers were lacerated) but thankfully was eventually re-attached. He's currently suing the rental company since the finger in question is now causing him even more pain. They've talked about maybe touring with him for only a few songs each night as a cameo, since he can still play some beginner level chords...but it's iffy right now.

Also, in newly remixed audio/visual aspect ratio, Live Baby Live (their definitive concert film from Wembley Stadium in 1991) will premiere in cinemas for the first time in November/December. I'm really looking forward to this.

https://www.inxscinema.com/

And since the Kick 25th & 30th Anniversary edition box sets did well enough, there are expanded editions of the entire catalogue planned for the near future, as well as an interactive/archive museum (in the letter shapes of I N X S) about to be built just north of Sydney...

I fucking love INXS! :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:03 pm 

^^^I can tell you love them. I’ve always liked their music but in a much more casual way. Was the album with JD Fortune any good?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:24 am 

Going to see Lynyrd Skynyrd Farewell Tour October 19th. A friend of mine got free tickets. Free Bird! :smoke:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:29 pm 

KUIII wrote:
^^^I can tell you love them. I’ve always liked their music but in a much more casual way. Was the album with JD Fortune any good?

I was skeptical when they continued without MH, especially since they were using several non-band member songwriters to collaborate with. And while it took a while, Switch eventually grew on me...I like it. Though, I only saw them live once on that tour, even though they played here 3 times (the album sold incredibly well in Canada and almost as much as Kick & X did during their first 6 months of release back in 1987/88 & 1990/91). Because of its basic pop rock sound, I think Switch was designed as an album to re-introduce them to the world after such a long hiatus. It wasn't alternative-ish like the majority of their albums, which stylistically speaking, are all over the place...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:07 pm 

I doubt if I’ll follow through on this but I’m tempted by the Billy Idol residency in Las Vegas March 6-14. I don’t have any other vacation or concert plans between now and then so I could probably pull it off financially. If my health is holding out as I get closer to the date I’ll consider it. It might be fun to look at some desert (there’s LOTS of it) and do some other things on the way there and back too.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:24 pm 

KUIII wrote:
I doubt if I’ll follow through on this but I’m tempted by the Billy Idol residency in Las Vegas March 6-14. I don’t have any other vacation or concert plans between now and then so I could probably pull it off financially. If my health is holding out as I get closer to the date I’ll consider it. It might be fun to look at some desert (there’s LOTS of it) and do some other things on the way there and back too.

Billy Idol in Las Vegas, nice place for a white wedding.....you have to go KU, you could get married by an Elvis :lol:

By the time we looked into going up country to Taupo for Billy Idol, George Thorogood & the Destroyers, Anastacia and Creedence Clearwater Revisited all appearing on January the 25th, 2020.....the event had sold out.....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:00 am 

^^^ :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I don’t know. I might end up like Nic Cage when I try to leave.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:46 am 

KUIII wrote:
^^^ :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I don’t know. I might end up like Nic Cage when I try to leave.

This may be a good plan, can we talk Grey Ghost and Mr. Green Genes to fly in for the show and some games...better yet a Zappa Forum Party at the Billy idol show in Vegas :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:01 pm 

King Kong will visit Centerville in november and i will be there too. The local radio symphonic orchestra will play moviescores written by European Jewish composers in Hollywood who went there to escape the holocaust. The evening will climax in a presentation of the 1933 King Kong movie accompanied by the orchestral performance of the film score:

hr-Sinfonieorchester Frank Strobel Leitung
Valentino Worlitzsch Violoncello
Manfred Callsen Conférencier

Max Steiner
Musik aus dem Film "Gone with the Wind"
Franz Schreker
Vorspiel zu einem Drama. "Die Gezeichneten"
Erich Wolfgang Korngold
Violoncellokonzert C-Dur op. 37
Max Steiner
Filmsinfonie "King Kong" (USA 1933, R: Marian C. Cooper, Ernst B. Schoedsack, OmU) Collage zur Originalmusik (Arr. Stefan Behrisch)

I have never attended the live performance of a big orchestra (other than the local radio big band) so i am waiting very exicited for that experience :-)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:18 pm 

Technically next year but....Just got my tickets for....
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:21 pm 

Got mine today Regency Ballroom San Francisco Feb. 13th... 8)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:44 pm 

Plook wrote:
Got mine today Regency Ballroom San Francisco Feb. 13th... 8)

I am also going to see DZ Hot Rats but in Arcata, CA on February 9th.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2779 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110 ... 112  Next