Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2779 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109 ... 112  Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:55 pm 

Alright!

I hope they play Cat Food for ya.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:13 pm 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
...and I, Mr. Plook, cannot even believe it, that on Friday, am going to fulfill a musical fantasy attending KC's first ever gig in Brazil in 50 years. I have just ditched my airplane tickets and decided to drive almost 500 km (310 miles) into the hell-hole of Sampa.

Awesome Brazilian Road Trip...Mr_Green_Genes on Tour...buy someone lunch... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:05 am 

hold on a second here..... does plook buy people lunch?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:44 am 

feeding the world a lunch at a time.....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:31 am 

And sometimes Dinner and occasionally Linner... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:18 pm 

lapsed maps wrote:
hold on a second here..... does plook buy people lunch?

No, he buys doggie lunch. People lunch is too expensive.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:26 pm 

Zappafest XXI in Milwaukee will be Sat, Dec 7 this year at the Miramar (bigger venue than last couple years).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:56 pm 

Thanks guys, I will buy a cat food lunch somewhere along the road and send Plook the bill. It's almost (excitement wise) as good as if I could attend a Zappa concert, but they are indeed my current favorite morphing ensemble... They will play Rock in Rio (sunset stage) Sunday, but that's a little too much, even for me (to attend RiR, that is)... I will attend the Roger Waters tour movie then, :smurf: in my birth town, though... :smurf:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:46 am 

America at the Silver Legacy in Reno tonight... :D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:30 am 

^^^ Perhaps travelling there on a nameless horse, through the desert?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:14 pm 

^^^^^ Enjoy! ^^^^^

Awayyyyy back in the 70's, at my first job since leaving school I had a "thing" for a hotter than hell work colleague
(10 to 12 years my senior) in a clumsy attempt to get into her hot pants
I took her to see America at the acoustically challenged Wellington Show Buildings.

We were together for eight years.....thank you America.....

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:49 pm 

^^There’s got to be a Make America Great Again joke in there somewhere but I’m having no luck.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:15 am 

This concert was excellent, they sound great and the band was incredibly talented...Dave needs to check out the bass player i assume the music isn't exactly in his wheelhouse but this guy was amazing...also the young guy that picked up all the extra vocals and instruments kicked ass on several guitars electric and acoustic plus keyboards and a bango...very good young drummer also, everyone sang killer harmonies...more to come... :D

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:47 am 

I’ve always wanted to learn how to play the bango. :mrgreen:

I’ve never bought an America record but I’ve always enjoyed their hits when I’ve heard them on the radio.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:28 pm 

KUIII wrote:
I’ve always wanted to learn how to play the bango. :mrgreen:

I’ve never bought an America record but I’ve always enjoyed their hits when I’ve heard them on the radio.

Crazy enough America's newer more recent albums are possibly better than their "classic years".

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:40 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:58 am 

KUIII wrote:
I’ve always wanted to learn how to play the bango.

it's rough on the hips. i wouldn't recommend it.
you're better off starting with the acoustic bumpo, or the tickle stick.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:47 am 

lapsed maps wrote:
KUIII wrote:
I’ve always wanted to learn how to play the bango.

it's rough on the hips. i wouldn't recommend it.
you're better off starting with the acoustic bumpo, or the tickle stick.

I play lead bango.... :shock: :mrgreen: :smoke:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:05 am 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:17 am 

ooooooh... that's what plook was referring to.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:26 am 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:40 am 

Finally got around to writing a few things about the Nick Cave show we saw last Monday. It was at the Copernicus Center in Chicago. It was our 2nd Nick Cave show and was excellent all-around. The first time we saw him was with the Bad Seeds and I have never seen anyone OWN the audience as he did that night. Here it was just him taking questions from the crowd interspersed with him singing while playing piano.
Fans would be familiar with The Red Hand Files, a webpage in which fans can ask NC questions. I haven't asked any, but the consensus is that Nick takes them very seriously and thoughtfully answers as best he can on nearly any given topic.
This held true for the questions from the audience. Some were painfully sad such as a tearful woman asking "How do you find hope?" to the more boring "What are your favorite bands today?".
We learned about other Bad Seeds, such as Blixa Bargeld, who was considered an asset in the studio when it was difficult to decide whether something was a keeper. To Blixa everything was great or shit. A cuddly fascist, hahaha..
I didn't know that Nick Cave was friends of the singer from INXS for a few years before he died. I thought it was hilarious that NC said that it was mutually beneficial in that NC got to experience INXS's level of fame and the INXS guy got to experience NC's artistic credibility, hahaha.
We learned about NC's writing style. He gets dressed in a suit as going to work, sits at the piano and writes one line. He then thinks... until he thinks of a line to go with that. Seems simple, but the way he explained it was very thoughtful and not off the cuff as many lyrics are.
Nick is very comfortable on stage, very capably handling himself and the audience. Some would ask for a signature on their tattoo or record to be signed, which he would do.
Though the one that is gonna stick in my memory is the woman near the end of the night. She complained to NC that her night was ruined by the rude talkative people behind her. She said that she asked them to be quiet, but they told her to fuck off. NC could've handled this many ways. What he did was tell her to come up to the stage and sat her next to him at the piano for the closest seat in the house for the last song of the night.
For me, this is in line with the question of public audience noise in general. At a concert, even with purchased tickets, it is a public event. All sorts of people will be there and one has to have the awareness of there being people who are different from you who do not care about your personal space, comfort or ability to absorb the event to your liking. Keith Jarrett has complained about people unwrapping hard candies during a performance. Jeff Tweedy has scolded people for talking during a performance. Here, the woman tattles on those nearby, expecting them to get a dress-down from Nick Cave. I am so glad that he didn't go that direction, rather diffused the situation. Great guy, great personality, great show.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:04 pm 

There and back again. It was a nice and almost completely smooth ride. Some beautiful landscapes in the way. I was picked up by the most nice resident guy and treated like a king, no pun intended. The concert was flawless, absolutely stunning and I guess Sampa will not see another presentation of that sort, ever... I can only imagine the amount of work to get an ensemble to play such complicated music at that level of interlocking and intertwining of the doubled or tripled instruments. Every drummer should attend this, for it is a drums lesson without precedent. Three different sounding brands of sets, with three different styles of drummers and it is hard to decided who played better. Tony Levin rules. Such a talented player. Jakko plays and sings very well. Mel Collins gained the audience with a rendemption of The Girl From Ipanema during Lark's Tong in Aspic, Part I and played beautifully. Fripp? Well, Fripp is Fripp and beyond words. They all exercised constrained silence at moments and the energy was really indescribable. I am glad I went through all I had to accomplish to attend this unique musical evening. No Cat Food or any ItWoP title, for that matter. Lark's V (aka Level Five) and Red were unbelievable. Still stunned.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:17 pm 

I'm pretty sure KU is seeing the Hendrix Experience tonight... :?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:20 pm 

^^
^^Excellent! KC is probably the concert event of the year if you can make one (I can’t). Looks like a lot more people in the audience than they would usually play for in the US.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2779 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109 ... 112  Next