Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2770 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108 ... 111  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:00 am 

Adrian Belew - September 16th, Sacramento
Experience Hendrix - October 7th, UC Davis

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:06 am 

KUIII wrote:

I was debating going to Adrian Belew Monday, but after my heal scare I,m on the fence...if i get a ticket do you want to ride together?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:57 am 

Plook wrote:
KUIII wrote:

I was debating going to Adrian Belew Monday, but after my heal scare I,m on the fence...if i get a ticket do you want to ride together?

Sure, just let me know.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:50 am 

Iron Maiden tonight!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:49 am 

^^^^^ Woo Hoo! how was it DaveO' ? ^^^^^

33 Hours - 10 Minutes to Departure

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:10 am 

The Twang Bar King tonight! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:00 am 

Neil Finn smashes it leading first Fleetwood Mac gig
in New Zealand

Nicky Park·12:45, September 13th, 2019

REVIEW: They've played 76 times together on this tour, and finally it was New Zealand's turn to see local legend, Neil Finn, stand on stage with Fleetwood Mac.

There was no way the packed Spark Arena crowd was ever going to go home disappointed. The full house (nearly four times round by the end of the hell hole that is Auckland's leg of this tour) spent most of the two-hour set on their feet.

What Finn brings to the table is a Kiwi kick that only adds to the legendary set list that Fleetwood Mac continue to deliver.

The blues band are no strangers to shaking things up. They hit their strides in the late 70s after adding folk duo Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks to the mix. Then, last year, they ditched Buckingham and replaced him with Mike Campbell (of Tom Petty's Heartbreakers) and our very own Finn.

With solid rhythm section - Mick Fleetwood on the drums and John McVie on bass - Christine McVie on keys and vocals, and front-woman Stevie Nicks, the band showed their latest mix doesn't hinder their classic cred. Finn, the baby of the band at 61-years-old, and Campbell are more than enough to make up for the unmentioned absence of their predecessor.

RICKY WILSON/STUFF
Neil Finn brings something to Fleetwood Mac, but the new gig sparks a little something in the local legend as well.

Mick is first on stage to take position behind the drums, smashing the sticks to a spine-tingling roar from the crowd. The Chain kicks us off and Stevie enters draped in her ethereal, gothic style garb. The local crowd erupts when Finn's familiar face takes centre stage. Rocking out on lead guitar, Finn's new gig seems to fire up his sex appeal, as he jams, shaking his shaggy silver mop.

Dreams brings the seated crowd to its feet, second song in to the set, and they never really return to sitting. Young and old, chic and bogan, man and woman - all embrace their Steve Nicks inspired sway. None however, can own it the way this Gypsy woman does. She still manages to masterfully entrance the crowd with her flowing locks and sparkling shawls, catching the light and casting shadows. She roams the stage, oozing Mojo with Rhiannon and Gold Dust Woman.

RICKY WILSON/STUFF
Stevie Nicks as magical as ever on stage for Fleetwood Mac.

Somewhere in the middle of World Turning, Mick Fleetwood ends up alone on stage. Eyes closed, he begins smashing out a monster drum solo. Sweating, with lights low, and camera close on his animated face, this 72-year-old shows he still loves putting on a show. He's cheeky, he lures the crowd: "Are you with me? Are you really with me? Don't be shy. Let it out, let it out, let it out." The crowd howls and Fleetwood replies: "Let it loose ... I can smell hounds, I can smell it coming, release the hounds!" I'm not sure what it all really means, but he stands up, swings a drum over his shoulder and owns the entire stage. This is a workout like nothing I have ever seen.

After about 12 minutes, he marches his red shoes back behind the kit and the band return to send us in to a couple of older tracks, both by original lead guitarist, Peter Green. Finn owns Man of the World, while Mike Campbell smashes an incredible "guitar workout" with Oh Well. Campbell is wearing a "sh...y" navy jacket he purchased on his last visit to NZ, 30 years ago. Throughout the set I find myself continually impressed by his masterful fingers.

RICKY WILSON/STUFF
Mike Campbell owns several guitar solos.

Christine McVie's voice may get a little lost under the big band (in addition to the main crew, there's another keyboard, extra percussion, one more guitarist and two backup vocalists), but her fingers and soulful singing still fill the stage with Little Lies and Say You Love Me. Christine's most seductive moment comes during a solo in a lengthy Black Magic Woman.

There is no doubt Fleetwood Mac have a legendary list of hits, everyone has a favourite. But this home crowd was excited, if not expecting, Finn to add his own flair and Kiwi flavour. Split Enz cover, I Got You, is the first taste we got.

RICKY WILSON/STUFF
Christine McVie nails the keys for Fleetwood Mac.

Later, Mick Fleetwood tells us a yarn: "Many, many years ago, I heard the most beautiful song. I had no idea who was singing it ... or from whence they came ... but it stayed right in my heart where I need to see it, to feel it and be held by this song. All of these years later, we play it together, now with a dear, dear friend of mine, who came from these parts here."

It had to be rousing heart-string tugger, Crowded House's Don't Dream it's Over. Nicks sums it up: "Every night, for the last 75 gigs, I think - a song like that only comes around once in a life time. A song that has meaning to it and also remains current. It's amazing every night that you sing it."

Fleetwood Mac play at thhti Auckland's Spark Arena on September 14th, 16th and 19th and in Dunedin at Frosyth Barr Stadium on September 21st.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/m ... ew-zealand

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:01 am 

I attended a spetacular Milton Nascimento gig, playing material from the seminal album Clube da Esquina:

Next:

The Crimson King!!! :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:08 am 

Ghost report:

We had an excellent road-trip up the island, picture postcard weather all the way.....
Despite the doom and gloom pouring out of every device, I'm pleased to report that the country is looking fantastic.....
A little after midday, at the behest of one of the team we made a comfort stop at this little lake side village called Waitahanui, when we were emptied and about to set off Stan (the man) said something about being hungry and the wonderful smell of barbeque coming from a cottage across the road from our rest area, then the cheeky bastard strolls across the road and straight through the gate, we're looking at each other thinking what th' f@#k! then we hear raised voices and we're thinking oh f@#k! as we sprint across the road and through the gate.....There's manly Stanley and his brother Johnny (long-arms) laughing their arses off,
this was Johnny's new weekend place and Stan had set us up.....the food was great.

The concert was excellent, fifth row a little left of center, we were surrounded by a dozen big old broads swathed in lace and chiffon who had plainly staged a mass breakout from a retirement village. The band had a great chemistry, knowing looks smiles nods and winks between members throughout the show, I pulled out the ear plugs for the old Peter Green stuff, Mike Campbell Neil Finn and Neale Heywood "the guitar section" as Mike Campbell called them
were fantastic and played an impressive selection of guitars.....

During Free Falling which received maximum applause and audience sing-a-long, there was a photo montage of Tom Petty Mike Campbell and Stevie Nicks up on the big screen, during the song the guitar section were playing side on to the audience facing the big screen and Neil Finn had his hand on Mike Campbell's shoulder on more than one occasion.....

Mick Fleetwood's drum solo was a thing to behold and we were all along for the ride, the big screen among other things was simultaneously showing Mick's feet and hands from every angle hypnotically pounding away in a split screen format, as he drummed he was shouting things like are you still out there? are you with me? don't be shy! I can't hear you! with the audience shouting back each time getting louder and more animated, he managed to whip the whole place into a show biz frenzy, around eight minutes in the drum solo became a drum duo with the reappearance on stage of percussionist Taku Hirano who Mick immediately urged into some furious conga and bongo action with more shouting of things like release the hounds!
I can smell Blood! By this time, down in our little slice of an aromatic lace 'n' chiffon tornado, th' big old broads were going nuts, Stan almost lost an eye. The drum "solo" ended with Mick still urging us on striding up and down the stage playing a drum on a strap.....fantastic!

Set List

The Chain
Little Lies
Dreams
Second Hand News
Say You Love Me
Black Magic Woman
Everywhere
I Got You (Split Enz)
Rhiannon
World Turning
Gypsy
Oh Well
Man of the World
Don't Dream It's Over (Crowded House)
Landslide
Hold Me
You Make Loving Fun
Gold Dust Woman
Go Your Own Way
Encore:
Free Fallin' (Tom Petty)
Don't Stop

Personnel

Mick Fleetwood – drums, percussion, shouting
John McVie – bass
Christine McVie – vocals, keyboards
Stevie Nicks – vocals, percussion
Mike Campbell – lead guitar, Marxophone on "Gypsy"
Neil Finn – vocals, rhythm guitar
with:
Neale Heywood – rhythm guitar, backing vocals, lead guitar on "Landslide"
Sharon Celani – backing vocals
Marilyn Martin – backing vocals
Taku Hirano – percussion
Ricky Peterson - keyboards, backing vocals

The usually 8 to 9 hour return journey turned into a very nice 12 hour NZ appreciation sightseeing trip with interesting historical (possibly fictional) commentary from Joe 90

42 days till Metallica.....

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:23 am 

Seen: Adrian Belew, Fishbone, Todd Rundgren, Pelican / Cloakroom / Alms / The Holy Circle, Herbie Hancock / Kamasi Washington, The Flaming Lips / The Claypool Lennon Delirium, King Crimson, DZ, Black Moth Super Rainbow / Taraka Larson
Planned: Buddy Guy, Bob Dylan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:48 pm 

I'm seeing Dream Theater in November.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:28 pm 

One of the bands my son is in, Swamp Zen, is opening for Zach Nugent’s Disco Dead October 19th in Auburn, CA. As I stated elsewhere, I’m not a Grateful Dead fan but this sounds like fun. Disco-fied GD music. I guess Zach Nugent is a pretty highly regarded guitarist in that world as he used to be in JGB - guys that used to be in the Jerry Garcia Band. This should be a fun little road trip.

If you scroll down on this link you can find more information on this show. http://www.keepsmilinpromotions.com

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:03 pm 

Damn!

Metallica co-founder James Hetfield enters rehab, band's NZ tour cancelled
Glenn McConnell and Caroline Williams·13:21, September 28th, 2019

Metallica co-founder James Hetfield has entered rehab, meaning the band's New Zealand tour has been cancelled.

The band was due to perform in the hell hole that is Auckland at the end of October.

ETHAN MILLER/GETTY
Singer/guitarist James Hetfield of Metallica.

The other band members, Lars Ulrich, Kirk Hammett, and Robert Trujillo issued a joint statement, confirming Hetfield had entered rehab.

"As most of you probably know, our brother James has been struggling with addiction on and off for many years. He has now, unfortunately, had to re-enter a treatment program to work on his recovery again," they said.

Although no date had been set for when Metallica would play in New Zealand, the band said they wanted to play here again when Hetfield was better.

"We fully intend to make our way to your part of the world as soon as health and schedule permit. We'll let you know as soon as we can," the statement said.

Metallica's Australian tour, which was due to start in just a few weeks, has also been postponed.

The band had been scheduled to play two shows in t h h t i Auckland - at Mount Smart Stadium on October the 31st and November the 2nd - with support from Slipknot.

In March, fans took less than 12 minutes to snap up tickets for the band's first show, much to the disappointment of fans trying to see the band for the first time in nearly a decade.

A second show was later announced, meaning the tour could have been attended by close to 100,000 fans.

Tickets ranged from $375 to $3499, with the latter allowing mega-fans front-of-stage admission, an autographed set list and a meet-and-greet with the band members backstage before the show.

Ticketmaster would refund all tickets in full. Tickets booked online with a credit card would be refunded automatically.

Hetfield has struggled publicly with drugs and alcohol in the past. In 2001, he entered rehab to treat alcoholism and "other addictions."

However, recent reports had suggested he was still sober. After Metallica performed at Glastonbury in 2014, The Independent said "Hetfield has been sober for some years". But at that same event, Ulrich joked about how the downside to headlining Glastonbury was that they had to "remain sober".

In 2016, Hetfield opened up about when he checked himself into rehab 15 years earlier, telling The Joe Rogan Show he hit rock bottom when being kicked out of his home. He thanked his wife for kicking him out of their house, which he said motivated him to seek help.

"Fear was a big motivator," he said. "She did the right thing, she kicked my a... right out of the house and that scared the s.. out of me."

Raphael Dias/Getty Images
James Hetfiled has re-entered rehab for alcoholism. (file photo)

He went on to spend seven weeks in rehab.

It was unclear when Hetfield's latest addiction issues emerged, and when he decided to seek help for them.

Fans have taken to Twitter to share their upset over the cancellation, while commending Hetfield for taking the time to recover.

"Hope he gets the help he needs and gets better soon. Papa Het does so much for us, he can take all the time he needs," one said.

A man whose 17-year-old son was going said he and his mates had booked flights and "the best tickets".

"They were all so looking forward to this."

The band's statement finished, saying they were "devastated" to have disappointed fans.

"We are devastated that we have inconvenienced so many of you, especially our most loyal fans who often travel great distances to experience our shows. We appreciate your understanding and support for James," it said.

Metallica's website still listed concerts for March next year, with a show booked in San Francisco, US, on March 28, 2020.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/m ... -postponed

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:21 pm 

^^^Bummeroni! Like the article said I thought he had been sober for many years.

I don’t know what you think about Billy Idol but I see he has some shows coming up in NZ. I’ve always wanted to see him and his great guitarist Steve Stevens. Steve Vai’s drummer Jeremy Colson is also in his band.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:58 pm 

We hate the hell hole... :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:07 pm 

:lol: As the non refundable hell hole hotels are booked,
the Metallica road trip team have unanimously voted to still travel to
thhti Auckland on November 1st and.....
we've got 33 days to come up with an and.....

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:11 am 

Gray_Ghost wrote:

I smell a Disco in your future... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:32 pm 

Plook wrote:
Gray_Ghost wrote:

I smell a Disco in your future... :mrgreen:

Is that musk? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:04 am 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:14 am 

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:16 pm 

Experience Hendrix with Dweezil, Satriani, etc. next Monday at UC Davis, Kapt. Kiirk’s old stomping ground.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:32 am 

Dylan. I saw him in the 70s, but my wife never saw him. So we get Kermit and Dylan together. A bit of croaking.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:59 am 

On Friday RG & I going to ride a horse with no name down Venture Highway with a Tin Man, Sister Golden hair, and the Lonely people to do Magic right before your eyes in Reno... :smoke:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:49 pm 

Plook wrote:
On Friday RG & I going to ride a horse with no name down Venture Highway with a Tin Man, Sister Golden hair, and the Lonely people to do Magic right before your eyes in Reno... :smoke:
Hope you don't suffer Reno Failure...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:43 pm 

...and I, Mr. Plook, cannot even believe it, that on Friday, am going to fulfill a musical fantasy attending KC's first ever gig in Brazil in 50 years. I have just ditched my airplane tickets and decided to drive almost 500 km (310 miles) into the hell-hole of Sampa.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2770 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108 ... 111  Next