Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2577 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102 ... 104  Next
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:28 pm 

Plook wrote:
Back to the Hell Hole I presume... :smoke:

Roger that, lift off to the hell hole that is Auckland in: t minus 18 hours and 32 minutes

As we speak a party of three, number four has yet to make his mind up.....

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:31 pm 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
Plook wrote:

Roger that, lift off to the hell hole that is Auckland in: t minus 18 hours and 32 minutes

Just curious, how long of a trip is it to the hellhole?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:00 pm 

KUIII wrote:
Gray_Ghost wrote:
Plook wrote:

Just curious, how long of a trip is it to the hellhole?

It's about 650 kilometers (403 miles) home to hotel, straight up good old state highway one it takes around seven and a half to eight hours without diversions.....there are almost never no diversions with this bunch and all have a favorite pub and or fish & chip shop in every town between here and there.....

member number four has still yet to commit.....

lift off in: t minus 13 hours and 30 minutes

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:18 pm 

That’s a good little trip!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:21 pm 

KUIII wrote:
That’s a good little trip!

Most folks fly, but I love the drive, a great mixture of roads with an excellent range of snow capped mountains on the desert road and across the volcanic plateau, unraked forests galore and a lake or five, all nicely displayed with a panoramic vista in every direction. This team have all traveled the length and breadth of this country from an early age, so every one has a story to tell about this or that town, and all have life long friends that were met during our many combined adventures throughout the country. Without adhesion to a strict plan these trips can and have taken many days.....Certain members of the squad have missed a number of concerts, weddings and countless family gatherings thanks to a little stop off here or a surprise visit there and bingo! the plan goes out the window, the schedule comes off the rails and your mia for as long as the caper continues. These trips generally have a three day duration, a day up a day there and a day back, I always apply for a week off, just incase things go awry.....The weather for this rock 'n' roll road trip is forecast to be terrible, which will make things interesting.....we could get stranded..... :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:44 am 

You definitely need to document your adventure and share with us...Grey Ghost on the Road.... :smoke:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:16 pm 

Another year of concerts.

February - Steve Hackett - Orpheum, LA

June - Todd Rundgren's Utopia - Riverside Theater

July - Jeff Beck/Paul Rogers/Ann Wilson - 5 Points, Irvine

August - Alice Cooper/Ace Frehley - Greek, LA

December - Dweezil Zappa - Fonda, Hollywood

2019 - 3/16 Nick Mason's Saucerful Of Secrets @Wiltern, LA * 5/10 Todd Rundgren The Individualist @Wiltern, LA * 9/14 Iron Maiden Legacy Of The Beast - @Banc Of A Stadium, LA

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:58 pm 

^^^ Cool, ya got yer TR tix for next year. Me too for Chicago.
Also plan on going to Zappafest in Milwaukee this weekend. Headliner is Gozortenplat with Ike Willis.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:39 pm 

^ Yes.
Then, as long as had my card out, I ordered the book.

Because he's doing two shows at most venues, that'll mean an interesting set difference, hopefully.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:45 am 

Saturday Night in Monterey... :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:30 pm 

I saw Jethro Tull a few weeks ago. Ian is still a good entertainer :-) Last friday John Cale played at the fantastic Elbphilharmonie Hamburg. What a great show and what a great place.

Next shows:

The Residents in Essen
Steven Wilson in Bochum
Bob Dylan in Braunschweig (Brunswick)
Steve Hackett in Essen
Rammstein in Gelsenkirchen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:47 pm 

^Hackett...Selling England By The Pound in it's entirety. Can wait for the US announcement.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:26 pm 

KUIII wrote:
Joe Jackson - March 3rd, Crest Theater Sacramento.

I might wait awhile before I pull the trigger on this but it’s definitely on my radar. New album dropping in early 2019 too.

I waited too long. It’s sold out.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:18 pm 

KUIII wrote:
KUIII wrote:

I might wait awhile before I pull the trigger on this but it’s definitely on my radar. New album dropping in early 2019 too.

NOOOooooooooo.....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:14 am 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
KUIII wrote:
KUIII wrote:

NOOOooooooooo.....

What the heck, I would been on that like a rat on cheese... :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:00 pm 

Two months and counting for my first concert of 2019. Nick Mason's Saucerful Of Secrets.
I haven't seen a former PF person since The Wall in 2010. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:15 pm 

Last night Mrs. Flycoon and I saw Patti Smith. Fortunately (since it was raining with great gusto) she stopped just short of blowing the roof off the joint.

I posted a photo of the proceedings in the appropriott picture-posting place.

Next Friday we'll be seeing the Levin Brothers (Tony and Pete) playing Jazz at a steak house in Felton. Tony's taking time off from his duties with King Crimson, Peter Gabriel and Stick Men because he just doesn't work enough. They'll be playing with Soft Machine; another one of those bands from the past that I figured I would never get the chance to see.

On March 5th we'll be seeing the Wood Brothers. Oddly, the last time we saw them was on March 5th of last year. Apparently, instead of doing tours they follow a migratory pattern...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:36 pm 

Wow Patti Smith excellent!

approaching at an alarming rate, Ozzy Osbourne March 16th

Just Announced Fleetwood Mac, September 16th and 19th ticket pre pre sale(s) on January 22nd, so five days to decide on one or both....It will be a beautiful thing to see Neil Finn and Mike Campbell, apparently they've been performing one or two Crowded House and Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers songs.....and yes, they're playing Spark Arena in the hell hole that is Auckland.....Spark the company that has the naming rights to the Arena are my phone provider so we get to spend our money in the pre pre sale.....

I'm hoping Nick Mason will find his way down to Australasia, I wouldn't hesitate to travel to a foreign land.....in the Southern hemisphere, don't want to risk being too close to the epicenter if someone goes crazy.....

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:16 am 

Tomorrow night...

If you have come to experience Talking Heads . . . This Must Be The Place.

BiG SUiT is a collective of nine musicians drawn to the cerebral adventures, infectious rhythms, and pioneering music known to the world as Talking Heads. BiG SUiT began when a Chicago-area producer reached out to Deacon Blues founder Steve Kikoen with a request to form a tribute to Talking Heads.

With enormous respect and admiration for David Byrne, Tina Weymouth, Chris Franz and Jerry Harrison, the idea of forming a tribute to these musical innovators was intriguing. Steve proceeded to put together what has ultimately become an amazing replication of Talking Heads.

BiG SUiT, inspired by the seminal Jonathan Demme/Talking Heads film “Stop Making Sense,” is additionally dedicated to all ancillary forms of the Heads, including the David Byrne & St. Vincent (Annie Clark) collaboration, as well as connections to Peter Gabriel, Afro Celt Sound System, and WOMAD (Gabriel’s World of Music, Arts, and Dance) institution.

Frontman Jason Krause brings an astonishing take on David Byrne. From the eye-catching and flamboyant routines of dancer/singers Jennifer Hall & Jessica Hornsten to the incredible percussion and afro-celt rhythm section of Phil Brines, Janis Wallin, and Megan Thomas, this tribute to Talking Heads is the real deal. Rounding out the personnel are Paul Mutzabaugh & Cash Michaels on keyboards and EWI (Electronic Wind Instrument) respectively; with all of the “SUiTS” under the direction of Steve Kikoen, guitarist for BiG SUiT and founder/guitarist/singer of Deacon Blues.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:45 pm 

http://www.uncledadart.com

Madonna anyone? My son’s playing in this ensemble that is doing this Madonna tribute at the big college theater this weekend. I’m going to opening night tonight. I imagine he will be playing a lot of keyboards. Hopefully they will let him wear his underwear on the inside of his pants. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:24 am 

^Will there be pyro for Like A Prayer?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:49 am 

coevad wrote:

They actually brought a full choir (15 members) out for that one to augment the lead vocalist and a vocal quartet that was part of the band. The band consisted of 19 members including the vocal quartet. Instrumentalists included four reed players, a five piece horn section (trumpets, french horn, trombones), Guitar, bass, two percussionists, and two keyboards (my son being keyboard 2). Different lead vocalist, duo, octet, or choir for each of the 18 songs. Seven dancers. Quite a production with some of the best local musicians.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:15 pm 

KUIII wrote:
coevad wrote:

They actually brought a full choir (15 members) out for that one to augment the lead vocalist and a vocal quartet that was part of the band. The band consisted of 19 members including the vocal quartet. Instrumentalists included four reed players, a five piece horn section (trumpets, french horn, trombones), Guitar, bass, two percussionists, and two keyboards (my son being keyboard 2). Different lead vocalist, duo, octet, or choir for each of the 18 songs. Seven dancers. Quite a production with some of the best local musicians.

Dam, that sounds good... :!:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:48 pm 

Not much. two venues: Weird Al at small venue...a maybe.
Big Arena: Shinedown. I remember them barely when I took my 15 year old to his first concerts. It was one of those 10 band events.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:15 pm 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
coevad wrote:
KUIII wrote:
Ozzy would be fun to see. JP too. Sounds like another excuse to visit the hellhole which is Auckland.

Ozzy is not well. He had surgery on his hand. An infection is keeping him in the hospital, they say. The rest of the US Tour has been cancelled.

Got well soon, Ozzy!

+ one, I've already sprung for the Ozzy tickets and (the non refundable) hell hole hotel.....

Locally they have announced an Australian and New Zealand Eminem tour for 2019, it's being advertised as the biggest thing to ever come to Wellington (they must be joking) I could be totally wrong but I suspect the ticket sales will fail to reach the money making level and the show will be cancelled, or the tickets will be heavily discounted to fill the stadium.
I'm not an Eminemist, so won't be going.....
Ghostman, Ozzy is sick with the flu. Doctor says no touring until his upper resp. infection is gone. Europe w/ Judas Priest is cancelled. Hopefully not NZ.

edit They say he will be ready for Australia and NZ. :!: :mrgreen:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2577 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102 ... 104  Next