Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2445 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 94, 95, 96, 97, 98  Next
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:54 am 

Plook wrote:
Gray_Ghost wrote:
I'm locked and loaded for a 5:00am departure this morning for the road trip to the hell hole that is Auckland to see/hear Bob Dylan on Sunday night..... 8)

Woo Hoo, enjoy my friend!!!

WOW! Bob is your friend?!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:00 pm 

^ Don't you ever go out, Doug?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:19 pm 

just plain doug wrote:
Plook wrote:
Gray_Ghost wrote:
I'm locked and loaded for a 5:00am departure this morning for the road trip to the hell hole that is Auckland to see/hear Bob Dylan on Sunday night..... 8)

Woo Hoo, enjoy my friend!!!

WOW! Bob is your friend?!

LOL...yes and he's gay and Gay Bob gives Blooooowoooowooo Jobs... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:23 pm 

Well, I’m glad that’s finally out of the closet. Now we know the true meaning of Blowin’ In The Wind.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:34 am 

Hi, its me I'm Back.....

We had a magnificent 650km (400 mile) drive up the island, perfect driving conditions, the traffic played the game for the most part, and amazingly for this seemingly endless winter there was great sun and no rain, we had the spectacular winter wonderland vistas, with an abundance of snowcapped mountains and a frosting of roadside snow across the plateau. Played gps roulette on the return trip, the electric bastard zig zagged us 750km's (460 miles) down the west coast which made for some exciting zero traffic speedy driving and a different set of snow capped mountain ranges and a selection of stunning ocean views.

The concert was excellent, a pure old school rock 'n' roll show that had an almost cabaret vibe.
There was a total ban on any phones tablets or cameras of any kind, which was great, other than a little mood lighting that was altered very subtly between songs, there were no special effects flashing lights or video screens of any kind. The six piece band (including Bob) were really really good, just so together, it was a thing of beauty. Bob provided all the vocals, blew his harmonica and except for one song performed the entire show behind a grand piano facing the audience. The bass guitarist whipped out a stand up double bass on a number of songs and also used a bow a couple of times to great effect, the keyboard player also played lap steel guitar and violin. Adding to the cabaret theme, the band were all dressed alike in cream suit jackets that had a slight glitter effect which was perfect (anymore sparkle would have triggered the cheesy scale) the casual black trousers made for a nice contrast. The rhythm section were wearing black fedora hats. Bob had a slightly darker glitter free suit jacket and wet-look black trousers, and no hat.

Set List

Things Have Changed
It Ain't Me Babe
Highway 61 Revisited
Simple Twist of Fate
Summer Days
When I Paint My Masterpiece
Honest With Me
Tryin' to Get to Heaven
Make You Feel My Love
Tangled Up in Blue
Pay in Blood
Early Roman Kings
Desolation Row
Love Sick
Don't Think Twice, It's All Right
Thunder on the Mountain
Soon After Midnight
Gotta Serve Somebody

Encore:

Blowin' in the Wind
Ballad of a Thin Man

Some of the songs that were played had undergone an arrangement overhaul, a few to such a degree that they were unrecognizable as the songs that we know and love. After the show I heard someone complaining that they didn't play blowin' in the Wind, oh yes they did, but not as he knew it. That being said, all the songs were performed with great gusto, seeing Bob Dylan, albeit behind the piano, rocking the arse off Highway 61 Revisited, made my night.

The music was the only audible interaction between the band and the audience, they came, they played they took a three minute intermission, came again, played and left for thirty seconds, came again for the encore, played took a bow and left.....without a word, not even a goodnight hell hole that is Auckland.....like some anonymous nightclub band three streets off the strip in Las Vegas.....

The audience were very enthusiastic, we were seated 12 rows from the stage, a little left of center, and best of all Ms. Auckland had a great time, as did I.....

Surprisingly, once again I have escaped thhti Auckland still single and with my life..... 8)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:07 am 

Awesome Grey sounds like another fun run to the hellhole they call Auckland... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:29 pm 

Dunno if I can make it but Andre C will be at Knobcon, Sep 7 at Chicago Hyatt Regency.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:34 am 

A couple of reviews

Bob Dylan's Never Ending Tour sounds like it's Blowin' in the Wind
Jacques Steenkamp·10:34, Aug 27 2018

REVIEW: Sunday night's Bob Dylan concert in Auckland verged on the surreal for me.

You see, I never thought I'd ever get to see the legendary folksy rocker in my lifetime.

And yet, I found myself at Spark Arena quietly sitting amongst thousands of spectators trying to make out what the 77-year-old Dylan was singing.

Many people warned me beforehand that a Dylan show was either really good or really bad. And for the first few songs, I struggled to make sense of his lack of enunciation.

But then the hauntingly beautiful sounds of his trademark harmonica kicked in, and I was swept away.

Dylan also didn't acknowledge that we existed as he never greeted the crowd or even introduced his band, something that most artists tend to do.

I found myself closing my eyes at times as the music transported me through the more than five decades of Dylan's music.

SUPPLIED
Bob Dylan's music still captivates audiences.

The feeling of attending a Dylan concert in another era wasn't helped by the fact that there were no cellphones, video cameras or even big screens allowed in the venue.

The latter also made it difficult as nobody other than those lucky few in the first row could verify that it was actually Dylan on stage behind the piano.

The aging singer-songwriter did at one point take to the middle of the stage where he hung onto the microphone stand and performed a couple of awkward-looking poses with his hands on hips.

But all in all, I enjoyed the show. Dylan is almost 80, and he has spent the last three decades continuously touring the world. A feat in and of itself.

He has given up most of his life for his music, and I'm really thankful for the opportunity to have been graced by his presence.

I doubt his Never Ending Tour that's been going since 1988 will last much longer.

His voice might not be anywhere close to what we're used to, but he can still play the piano, and the harmonica like no other and his band was great.

The evening was complete when Dylan performed a rendition of Blowin' in the Wind during his encore.

My advice to you: Go see this living legend while you still can and be thankful for his contribution to our world over the decades.

SUPPLIED
Bob Dylan has been touring the world for the past 30 years.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/m ... n-the-wind

Bob Dylan's concert phone ban: Does he bring the old-time virtues we need?
Glenn McConnell·15:17, Aug 27 2018

CHRIS PIZZELLO/AP
Bob Dylan is in New Zealand to perform two shows. (File photo)

When Bob Dylan arrived in New Zealand this weekend, the 77-year-old music heavyweight brought with him his own set of rules.

All phones were banned from Auckland's Spark Arena when Dylan performed Sunday night. In fact, there were no screens at all – not even on stage.

Dylan's "Never Ending Tour" has been going for 30 years. It started at Concord Pavilion, in the USA, on June 7, 1988 – at a time when people were more likely to hold up a lighter than wave their phone with its flashlight on.

Now into its fourth decade, Dylan has tried to keep that old time vibe alive.

On Sunday, there were no big screens on stage. It was just Dylan, his piano, and thousands of phoneless fans.

123RF

There were no phones allowed at Bob Dylan's Sunday show in Auckland.

Stuff reviewer Jacques Steenkamp​ said the performance would have been difficult for those in the back rows.

"Nobody other than those lucky few in the first row could verify that it was actually Dylan on stage behind the piano," he said.

Nonetheless, he said it was a good night.

Also at the concert was music writer Graham Reid, who as of Sunday had seen the musician perform about seven times. He said this tech-free regime was nothing new.

"I can understand why people would be disappointed because there weren't big screens," he said.

Paul Kane/Getty Images
Concert-goers light their phones at an Ed Sheeran concert in Australia.

In the back rows, seeing the musician would have been difficult, especially as he did not once get up to speak to the audience, Reid said. However, he said, "If you know anything about Bob Dylan at all, you will understand he doesn't do screens."

Enforcement of the no screen policy was stringent, he said. Spark Arena staff warned people outside not to use their phones once in the arena, and security enforced the rules inside.

For fans like him, Reid said the rule was great.

"I have no problem at all with someone saying, 'for the next two hours don't have your camera on'.

"There might be personal reasons, copyright, or whatever, for them to say that. In the audience, it's actually pretty good. I like that. I like not being disturbed. It's just great to see a concert without any interruptions."

A publicist for the tour would not respond to requests for comment.

The phone ban has been a longstanding rule of Dylan's tour. And, other artists and even technology companies have also tried keeping phones out of moshpits.

Apple reportedly patented a product which would be able to stop phones from filming stages. Since lodging the patent in 2016, however, the tech giant has not made the product available for public use.

Would pop acts follow suit? Reid thought not. "It's a generational thing, mainstream pop acts want that vibe. They want people posting from the show."

Indeed, at the same venue last month rapper Kendrick Lamar asked his fans to get their phones out. From the stands to the front row, thousands of concertgoers waved their glowing screens in the air.

The scene was described as "magical" by many reviewers.

It was a spectacle that could not be reproduced at Dylan's latest show. Although, in the past the singer-songwriter's gigs were often illuminated with swaying cigarette lighters – it seems hardly anyone carries those round in 2018.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/m ... es-we-need

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:06 am 

^^Thanks for the reviews GG. I’ve only ever been a very casual Dylan fan and would only chance to see him at a more intimate venue, if at all, based on what I’ve seen of him on tv over those last 30 years (sometimes pretty good, sometimes god awful). Lots of great songs though. I’m glad you had a good time.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:21 pm 

Great GG ! I've seen His Bobness 13 or 14 times and every show was very special. Good old man.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:15 pm 

8) Cheers lads, a week on and I'm still buzzing.....

Here's a great review of the Christchurch show, by an extremely observant chap....

reader report
Bob Dylan proves he's still got it in Christchurch show
John Stringer·11:29, Aug 29 2018

CHRIS PIZZELLO/AP
Bob Dylan sang without any backing vocals, just his five-piece live Band.

A smiling and happy Dylan took a sold out Horncastle Arena of adoring New Zealand fans in Christchurch on a tour of re-arranged songs from across his six decades of albums.

At 77, dressed in a silver grey tuxedo jacket, bus conductor pants and a black Western shirt with silver buttons and a bolo tie, and that trademark mussy Dylan mop top, but no hat this time – Dylan still has it.

Singing without any backing vocals, just his five-piece live Band, the man from Duluth, Minnesota, sent us through a rollicking three sets of re-arranged songs without a break over two solid hours.

He sang a set from the early days, the centre of the concert was more recent songs, and ended up with some 60s classics.

Kicking off with Things Have Changed from Wonder Boys (for which he won his Academy Award which was on stage) and It Ain’t Me Babe and Highway 61 Revisited, Dylan took us to a strong new version of Summer Days with some high energy southern fiddle. He variously stood or sat playing vigorous or melodic reflective baby grand piano and there was plenty of trademark harmonica. At two points Dylan left the baby grand piano to huge applause and sang centre stage. There was obvious fun with those gangly Dylan stage moves and the hand on the hip.

We got the blues, electric guitar rock, some soul, folk and swinging ballads. Accompanied by rhythm guitar, bass (including a double bass plucked and played with bow), keyboards and fiddle, five switched-out lead guitars and drums, Dylan was confident and his voice strong. He drank from a simple paper cup, which during Roman Kings was switched out with what looked like a takeaway coffee.

John & Laurie Stringer
Bob Dylan plays Christchurch for the fourth time, 28 Aug 2018, Horncastle Arena.

Non-use of hand-held devices, recording or photos and video was strictly enforced. People were encouraged to just enjoy the performance for once instead of distracting everyone with little illuminated screens in their faces. We were 20 metres away and caught every Dylan grimace and nuance. He was really enjoying himself in Christchurch.

Backed by huge red velvet curtains which Dylan bought with him, The Band wore black fedoras and matching tuxedo jackets with silver glitter lapels. Dylan had a matching silver yoke on his Western shirt. The stage was full of retro nostalgia (also brought in) such as: a suspended set of seven vintage trash can-style movie-set spot lights, a ring of eight caged retro industrial lights on stands glowing orange in some songs and to the right of the piano, his academy award and that neo-classical bust of Athena with a bob that he takes everywhere.

Dylan gave us: Tangled Up in Blue, Roman Kings, Like A Rolling Stone, Honest With Me, Make You Feel My Love, Love Sick, Thunder on the Mountain, Don’t Think Twice, It’s Alright, among others. Some were unrecognisable new renditions. I didn’t recognise Desolation Row until it was over.

Perhaps the highlight of the evening was a new version of 1979’s Gotta Serve Somebody from Slow Train Coming, but with funny new lyrics: “You mi-ght be a mystic...” something about a “fine-toothed comb” and “hallucinating, you mighta seen a ghost” to “you might not even know, the day of your birth!” which was received with standing applause and Dylan beaming.

He encored at 9:50pm after 110 minutes with a nice Blowin’ In the Wind backed by some lovely fiddle, and finished up with a feisty Ballad of a Thin Man (“Do Ya, Mr. Jones?”) from 1965. The audience loved it and Dylan seemed pleased, smiling and grinning throughout.

Setlist:

Things Have Changed
It Ain’t Me Babe
Highway 61 Revisited
Simple Twist Of Fate
Summer Days
When I Paint My Masterpiece
Honest With Me
Tryin’ To Get To Heaven
Make You Feel My Love
Pay In Blood
Tangled Up In Blue
Early Roman Kings
Desolation Row
Love Sick
Don’t Think Twice, It’s All Right
Thunder On The Mountain
Soon After Midnight
Gotta Serve Somebody
Blowin’ In The Wind [encore]
Ballad Of A Thin Man [encore]

https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/1 ... hurch-show

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:02 pm 

John Cale & Orchestra in december at Elbphilharmonie Hamburg........ Yeah !!!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:40 pm 

^Nice venue.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:52 am 

BBP wrote:
Bought my ticket today:

Dir en grey, 19th October, Cologne.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Bought the bus ticket to there today... Way back is going to be more trouble since I can only leave way too early in the morning (last concert I went to I was so excited I sat up until 5 AM). Part of the journey is by train. Haven't booked the stay yet either.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:57 pm 

BBP wrote:
BBP wrote:
Bought my ticket today:

Dir en grey, 19th October, Cologne.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Bought the bus ticket to there today... Way back is going to be more trouble since I can only leave way too early in the morning (last concert I went to I was so excited I sat up until 5 AM). Part of the journey is by train. Haven't booked the stay yet either.

It'll be an adventure, you'll have a great time..... 8)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:59 am 

NicHoLai wrote:
March: Alice Cooper and Edgar Winter
April: Buckethead
April: Dweezil Zappa
April: Project Object featuring Napoleon Murphy Brock and Denny Walley
May: Primus and Mastadon
June: Kings X
July 28th: Todd Rundgren
September 29th: Kid Rock

I saw the Flaming Lips: August 22
I saw Philip H Anselmo and the Illegals: Sept 15

While vacationing in Key West I saw many musical acts performing over 4 nights.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:06 pm 

NicHoLai wrote:
I saw Philip H Anselmo and the Illegals

how was it?

i saw a recent pic of phil the other day.
the ol' goat was looking pretty damn physically fit.
much more than i had pictured him to be.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:55 am 

lapsed maps wrote:
NicHoLai wrote:
I saw Philip H Anselmo and the Illegals

how was it?

i saw a recent pic of phil the other day.
the ol' goat was looking pretty damn physically fit.
much more than i had pictured him to be.

Having seen Phil back in his heyday, I would say Phil has changed. He seems happier.
(If you can believe it) More humble.
Stage presence has not been lost or have skipped a beat.
His voice is still the classic Phil voice. He sounds the same, but does not sing or scream...as loud (does not need to, due to smaller venue sizes).
I brought the misses to the show and she asked,"will he do any Pantera" i said Nah no way (Saw Down before....no Pantera songs)
Then Phil treats us to "Hellbound" "Domination/Hollow" and "A New Levellll"
His band the Illegals sounded really tight and also had a good stage presence.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:22 pm 

The Residents

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:51 pm 

Ozzy Osbourne
No More Tour 2 Tour
March the 16th, 2019
Spark Arena the hell hole that is Auckland City

support band
Judas Priest

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:32 pm 

^Yeah!
JP has been playing Delivering The Goods lately.

Oh. And It's - No More Tours 2 Tour.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:52 am 

Ozzy would be fun to see. JP too. Sounds like another excuse to visit the hellhole which is Auckland.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:34 pm 

NicHoLai wrote:
NicHoLai wrote:
March: Alice Cooper and Edgar Winter
April: Buckethead
April: Dweezil Zappa
April: Project Object featuring Napoleon Murphy Brock and Denny Walley
May: Primus and Mastadon
June: Kings X
July 28th: Todd Rundgren
September 29th: Kid Rock

I saw the Flaming Lips: August 22
I saw Philip H Anselmo and the Illegals: Sept 15

While vacationing in Key West I saw many musical acts performing over 4 nights.

Saw Ice T last night at a big state fair. It was a blast
https://youtu.be/zYtYBFmtdLk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:11 pm 

The boss took us to see Bill Bailey last night

great show, I haven't laughed so hard in years

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Bailey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:31 pm 

Saw Zappata last tuesday. A project from the Essen Folkwang school. Napoleon Murphy Brock appeared as guest. Very cool.

Next shows:

John Cale in december
The Residents in january
Steven Wilson in february
Steve Hackett in may

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2445 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 94, 95, 96, 97, 98  Next