Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2250 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:11 pm
Posts: 5068
Location: Vancouver, BC
January 28 ~ Zappa Meets Oswald, Fei And Milton Wong Experimental Theatre
April 25 ~ DZPWTFHW?!, Commodore Ballroom
April 29 ~ Kansas, Moore Theatre in Seattle (Leftoverture in its entirety)
June 2 ~ Midnight Oil, Malkin Bowl (in Stanley Park)
August 13 ~ Bryan Ferry, Orpheum Theatre
August 25 ~ Chicago, PNE Amphitheatre
September 1 ~ Guns N' Roses, BC Place Stadium
September 5 ~ Yes w/ Todd Rundgren, Queen Elizabeth Theatre
October 28 ~ Roger Waters, Rogers Arena

_________________
"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:28 pm
Posts: 6489
KUIII wrote:
Travis Larson Band opened (as they did in 2011). Cool, short set of Satriani/Rush style power trio instrumentals. BFD up next.

Thoroughly enjoyable set from Keneally & Company. Good mix of tunes from throughout his solo career plus they did No One Knows by QOTSA and Inca Roads. Nice club, pretty well attended but I had no problem finding a comfortable seat and table.

YES w/Anderson, Rabin & Wakeman tomorrow night.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:28 pm
Posts: 6489
In beautiful Stockton, CA for the YES - ARW show. I'm in a pretty nice hotel because it's close to the university and downtown arena but the neighborhood is pretty sketchy. The venue is only .7 miles away which I would normally walk but I'll take a shuttle or cab to be safe. I had always heard that Stockton sucks but I'm seeing it for myself now.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:51 pm
Posts: 23295
Location: >>==> Wellington New Zealand
KUIII wrote:
In beautiful Stockton, CA for the YES - ARW show. I'm in a pretty nice hotel because it's close to the university and downtown arena but the neighborhood is pretty sketchy. The venue is only .7 miles away which I would normally walk but I'll take a shuttle or cab to be safe. I had always heard that Stockton sucks but I'm seeing it for myself now.


Yes! excellent

nice hotel, chocolate on the pillow nice?

and an abundance of delicious snacks to test your fuel intake regime. Be strong KU.....

_________________
hey punk, where you going with that presidential pardon in your pocket? I, I don't recall.....


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:28 pm
Posts: 6489
No snacks in the room!

Great show! I don't know why I waited so long to see Yes (in any manifestation). Really nice old theater (one of the nicest I've seen). I managed to run/walk back to hotel without getting mugged and without peeing my pants (I should have hit the john before I left the theater). The worst thing I encountered was a homeless guy sleeping/passed out in a door well with his pants down all the way past his ass.

The OTHER Yes next Thursday in Reno. Man, as I get older I hate GOING anywhere but once I get there I have a good time.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:18 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:01 am
Posts: 1745
Location: Bordeaux, France
Got tickets to see those Aussi brother and sister act. Angus and Julia.

But also got my tickets to see (witness/dwelve) Melanie De biasio in October. Check out the drumming on No Deal.

_________________
"Welcome to the Frank Zappa Memorial Country Club & BBQ" at wgt.com 75 members and counting.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:18 pm
Posts: 5633
Location: Between the Badges
KUIII wrote:
... Man, as I get older I hate GOING anywhere but once I get there I have a good time.

Image

_________________
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Don't Be Stupid Unless You Want To


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:51 pm
Posts: 23295
Location: >>==> Wellington New Zealand
Roger Waters

Us + Them tour

the hell hole that is AUCKLAND

24th of January 2018



8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

_________________
hey punk, where you going with that presidential pardon in your pocket? I, I don't recall.....


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:56 am
Posts: 165
Snarky Puppy
Derek Trucks
Vanilla Fudge
Doobie Brothers/Chicago
Jimmy Messina
Coming up 9-19: McCartney

Had a chance to see DZ again but the setlist is a little '80's heavy, which ain't my favorite FZ period, so I skipped this year.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:48 pm
Posts: 29908
Location: Somewhere in time
cozylittlefooties wrote:
Snarky Puppy
Derek Trucks
Vanilla Fudge
Doobie Brothers/Chicago
Jimmy Messina
Coming up 9-19: McCartney

Had a chance to see DZ again but the setlist is a little '80's heavy, which ain't my favorite FZ period, so I skipped this year.



Big mistake the new yutes added to the band made the show incredible and the show ranked in the top 3 shows they have done IMHO... :idea:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:28 pm
Posts: 6489
Touched down in Reno (even though I didn't fly). Saw Steve Howe and Geoff Downes in the lobby (separately). Really like this place. Rooms are fantastic and very reasonable.
www.grandsierraresort.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:48 pm
Posts: 29908
Location: Somewhere in time
KUIII wrote:
Touched down in Reno (even though I didn't fly). Saw Steve Howe and Geoff Downes in the lobby (separately). Really like this place. Rooms are fantastic and very reasonable.
http://www.grandsierraresort.com



I used to stay there a lot when I worked in Reno often in the early 2000...I should have gone I really like Yes... :idea:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:28 pm
Posts: 6489
Good show. In contrasting the two current Yes bands:

#1:Steve Howe band played songs from every album until 1980. ARW band played songs from both 70's and 80's.
#2: Steve Howe vs. Trevor Rabin. They're both great but very different players. Both kind of defined the eras they were in the band. Definitely preferred Howe's Roundabout. Rabin put his own spin on it but it didn't surpass Howe's.
#3: Jon Anderson vs. Jon Davison. Davison is a great Anderson impersonator but let's go with the original deal here.
#4: Rick Wakeman vs. Geoff Downes. Even though Downes is a very capable player and handled all the parts just fine don't you have to go with the guy in the cape?
#5: Production (lighting, sound, etc.): Different but even.
#6: Merch: Howe band gets the nod with more and better options.

I'm glad I saw both shows but if you put a gun to my head I'd go with the ARW show.

On a side note Dweezil's old buddy Andre Cholmondeley (sp?) of Project/Object fame was very visible during the show as Steve Howe's guitar tech exchanging guitars and etc. almost every song.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:04 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:48 pm
Posts: 29908
Location: Somewhere in time
KUIII wrote:
Good show. In contrasting the two current Yes bands:

#1:Steve Howe band played songs from every album until 1980. ARW band played songs from both 70's and 80's.
#2: Steve Howe vs. Trevor Rabin. They're both great but very different players. Both kind of defined the eras they were in the band. Definitely preferred Howe's Roundabout. Rabin put his own spin on it but it didn't surpass Howe's.
#3: Jon Anderson vs. Jon Davison. Davison is a great Anderson impersonator but let's go with the original deal here.
#4: Rick Wakeman vs. Geoff Downes. Even though Downes is a very capable player and handled all the parts just fine don't you have to go with the guy in the cape?
#5: Production (lighting, sound, etc.): Different but even.
#6: Merch: Howe band gets the nod with more and better options.

I'm glad I saw both shows but if you put a gun to my head I'd go with the ARW show.

On a side note Dweezil's old buddy Andre Cholmondeley (sp?) of Project/Object fame was very visible during the show as Steve Howe's guitar tech exchanging guitars and etc. almost every song.



Dam I wish I could have gone... :(


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:51 pm
Posts: 23295
Location: >>==> Wellington New Zealand
Plook wrote:
KUIII wrote:
Good show. In contrasting the two current Yes bands:

#1:Steve Howe band played songs from every album until 1980. ARW band played songs from both 70's and 80's.
#2: Steve Howe vs. Trevor Rabin. They're both great but very different players. Both kind of defined the eras they were in the band. Definitely preferred Howe's Roundabout. Rabin put his own spin on it but it didn't surpass Howe's.
#3: Jon Anderson vs. Jon Davison. Davison is a great Anderson impersonator but let's go with the original deal here.
#4: Rick Wakeman vs. Geoff Downes. Even though Downes is a very capable player and handled all the parts just fine don't you have to go with the guy in the cape?
#5: Production (lighting, sound, etc.): Different but even.
#6: Merch: Howe band gets the nod with more and better options.

I'm glad I saw both shows but if you put a gun to my head I'd go with the ARW show.

On a side note Dweezil's old buddy Andre Cholmondeley (sp?) of Project/Object fame was very visible during the show as Steve Howe's guitar tech exchanging guitars and etc. almost every song.



Dam I wish I could have gone... :(


+1

provided that André was not in my direct line of sight..... :lol: :lol: :wink:

_________________
hey punk, where you going with that presidential pardon in your pocket? I, I don't recall.....


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:48 pm
Posts: 29908
Location: Somewhere in time
Why does everyone dislike this guy, I have no idea so I am obviously loosing my fan status... :smoke:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:28 pm
Posts: 6489
Plook wrote:
Why does everyone dislike this guy, I have no idea so I am obviously loosing my fan status... :smoke:

There's no reason to dislike him. Andre rightfully used to complain on this forum when Gail was trying to intimidate club owners into canceling P/O shows. In a few cases she was successful. Back in those days Dweezil sided with his mother. Dweezil was always talking about "accepting no substitutes" and Project/Object was probably the best known Zappa tribute band out there besides ZPZ. Nasty things were said. Adrian Belew was playing at the same festival as ZPZ years ago and was invited to play with ZPZ for a song when Andre was Adrian's guitar tech. Dweezil told Adrian not to let Andre anywhere near the stage. I don't think Adrian took Dweezil's direction and Andre ended up being too close for Dweezil's liking during ZPZ's set. I don't know if Dweezil still harbors any bad feelings towards Andre as he has changed his position on a lot of things since his Mom died. Andre is a very respected guitar tech and has worked for some famous players.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:14 am
Posts: 29653
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, CANADA
Plook wrote:
Why does everyone dislike this guy, I have no idea so I am obviously loosing my fan status... :smoke:

They're just jealous that he hooked up with xyqa and they didn't!

_________________
You're probably wondering why I'm here
(not that it makes a heck of a lot of a difference to ya)
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:18 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:51 pm
Posts: 23295
Location: >>==> Wellington New Zealand
Gray_Ghost wrote:
Roger Waters

Us + Them tour

the hell hole that is AUCKLAND

24th of January 2018



8) 8) 8) 8) 8)


Purchased my tickets today, the concert is being held at the recently rebranded Spark Arena, Spark are my telecommunications provider so I was eligible for the Spark customer pre pre pre sale. vip diamond package, row one seats thirteen & fourteen.....woo hoo!

_________________
hey punk, where you going with that presidential pardon in your pocket? I, I don't recall.....


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:04 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:28 pm
Posts: 6489
^^^That's better than sitting on the far side of the room but it must have cost a lot of money.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:47 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:51 pm
Posts: 23295
Location: >>==> Wellington New Zealand
KUIII wrote:
^^^That's better than sitting on the far side of the room but it must have cost a lot of money.


Oh man, an eye watering NZ$1,200.00 each KU'

I may have blown my entertainment budget through to 2020 :lol:

DIAMOND PACKAGE
- One A Reserve seated ticket in the first three rows on the floor
- Limited Edition Set of Us + Them Tour Lithographs, designed exclusively by Roger Waters, with each special set hand numbered & comes with an Official Certificate of Authenticity
- The Roger Waters Time Capsule (Diamond & Emerald Packages Only)
- Includes a timeless collection of Roger Waters VIP themed merchandise along with a commemorative VIP tour laminate & matching lanyard

I'm taking the "you only live once" approach to this purchase.....

_________________
hey punk, where you going with that presidential pardon in your pocket? I, I don't recall.....


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:39 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:28 pm
Posts: 6489
Enjoy! That will be a great experience. I splurged on Pink Floyd/Waters this year too. I only paid about $100 for my Us + Them ticket but I bought the DSOTM and Wish You Were Here Immersion box sets plus the Dramatist/ation box set, a new copy of Animals and the new Roger cd in anticipation of my concert experience. Oh, then I bought a $75 t-shirt at the show that I'm still too fat to wear. It was all worth it, IMO.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:18 pm
Posts: 5633
Location: Between the Badges
KUIII wrote:
Good show. In contrasting the two current Yes bands:

#1:Steve Howe band played songs from every album until 1980. ARW band played songs from both 70's and 80's.
#2: Steve Howe vs. Trevor Rabin. They're both great but very different players. Both kind of defined the eras they were in the band. Definitely preferred Howe's Roundabout. Rabin put his own spin on it but it didn't surpass Howe's.
#3: Jon Anderson vs. Jon Davison. Davison is a great Anderson impersonator but let's go with the original deal here.
#4: Rick Wakeman vs. Geoff Downes. Even though Downes is a very capable player and handled all the parts just fine don't you have to go with the guy in the cape?
#5: Production (lighting, sound, etc.): Different but even.
#6: Merch: Howe band gets the nod with more and better options.

I'm glad I saw both shows but if you put a gun to my head I'd go with the ARW show.

On a side note Dweezil's old buddy Andre Cholmondeley (sp?) of Project/Object fame was very visible during the show as Steve Howe's guitar tech exchanging guitars and etc. almost every song.

I'm going to see ARW on Saturday. So I'll have to check back on the list.

Imo, Andre is a fucking cool guy. It's too bad that all this DZ shit happened and made him look less-than.

_________________
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Don't Be Stupid Unless You Want To


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:21 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:48 pm
Posts: 29908
Location: Somewhere in time
Gray_Ghost wrote:
KUIII wrote:
^^^That's better than sitting on the far side of the room but it must have cost a lot of money.


Oh man, an eye watering NZ$1,200.00 each KU'

I may have blown my entertainment budget through to 2020 :lol:

DIAMOND PACKAGE
- One A Reserve seated ticket in the first three rows on the floor
- Limited Edition Set of Us + Them Tour Lithographs, designed exclusively by Roger Waters, with each special set hand numbered & comes with an Official Certificate of Authenticity
- The Roger Waters Time Capsule (Diamond & Emerald Packages Only)
- Includes a timeless collection of Roger Waters VIP themed merchandise along with a commemorative VIP tour laminate & matching lanyard

I'm taking the "you only live once" approach to this purchase.....



You did the right thing, this is a once in a lifetime show, you don't want to miss, I wish i would have sold the farm on this concert also... :smoke:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2002 3:42 pm
Posts: 1236
Location: The Short Forest
So far this year:
2/24 King Buffalo - Mohawk Place, Buffalo
3/7 Adrian Belew Power Trio - The Tralf, Buffalo
3/26 Fishbone - Waiting Room, Buffalo
3/31 Boss Hog - Waiting Room
4/1 Levin Brothers - The Lovin' Cup, Henrietta NY
4/5 Charlie Hunter Trio - 189 Public House, East Aurora NY
4/10 Peter Evans Septet - Hallwalls, Buffalo
4/14 The Obsessed w/ Karma To Burn - Grog Shop, Cleveland
4/21 Sebadoh - The Tralf
5/8 Mike Watt & The Jom & Terry Show - Mohawk Place
5/11 Legendary Shack Shakers w/ Jesse Dayton - Mohawk Place
5/12 Legendary Shack Shakers w/ Jesse Dayton - Montage Music Hall, Rochester
5/21 Whores w/ Wrong, & Bummer - Mohawk Place
6/3 Peter Brotzmann/Heather Leigh Duo - Burchfield-Penney Art Center, Buffalo
6/8 BassDrumBone - Hallwalls
6/11 All Them Witches - Mohawk Place
6/14 Ken Vandermark/Hamid Drake Duo - Hallwalls
6/21 METZ - Mohawk Place
6/24 Weedeater - Bug Jar, Rochester
6/26 Big Business - Bug Jar
6/30 King Crimson - Eastman Theatre, Rochester
7/21 Primus w/ Clutch - Dome Arena, Henrietta
7/23 Negative Approach w/ Bloodclot - Waiting Room
8/1 Melvins w/ Spotlights - Westcott Theater, Syracuse
8/29 Stick Men - Leopard Lounge @ Town Ballroom, Buffalo

Coming up:
9/8 Tom Rainey Trio featuring Mary Halvorson & Ingrid Laubrock - Allen St. Hardware, Buffalo
9/30 Dinosaur Jr. w/ Easy Action - State Theatre, Ithaca NY
10/10 Pelican - Mohawk Place
11/1 John McLaughlin w/ Jimmy Herring - UB Center For The Arts, Amherst NY


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2250 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group