Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2250 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90  Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:53 pm 

January 28 ~ Zappa Meets Oswald, Fei And Milton Wong Experimental Theatre
April 25 ~ DZPWTFHW?!, Commodore Ballroom
April 29 ~ Kansas, Moore Theatre in Seattle (Leftoverture in its entirety)
June 2 ~ Midnight Oil, Malkin Bowl (in Stanley Park)
August 13 ~ Bryan Ferry, Orpheum Theatre
August 25 ~ Chicago, PNE Amphitheatre
September 1 ~ Guns N' Roses, BC Place Stadium
September 5 ~ Yes w/ Todd Rundgren, Queen Elizabeth Theatre
October 28 ~ Roger Waters, Rogers Arena

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:30 pm 

KUIII wrote:
Travis Larson Band opened (as they did in 2011). Cool, short set of Satriani/Rush style power trio instrumentals. BFD up next.

Thoroughly enjoyable set from Keneally & Company. Good mix of tunes from throughout his solo career plus they did No One Knows by QOTSA and Inca Roads. Nice club, pretty well attended but I had no problem finding a comfortable seat and table.

YES w/Anderson, Rabin & Wakeman tomorrow night.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:08 pm 

In beautiful Stockton, CA for the YES - ARW show. I'm in a pretty nice hotel because it's close to the university and downtown arena but the neighborhood is pretty sketchy. The venue is only .7 miles away which I would normally walk but I'll take a shuttle or cab to be safe. I had always heard that Stockton sucks but I'm seeing it for myself now.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:24 pm 

KUIII wrote:
In beautiful Stockton, CA for the YES - ARW show. I'm in a pretty nice hotel because it's close to the university and downtown arena but the neighborhood is pretty sketchy. The venue is only .7 miles away which I would normally walk but I'll take a shuttle or cab to be safe. I had always heard that Stockton sucks but I'm seeing it for myself now.

Yes! excellent

nice hotel, chocolate on the pillow nice?

and an abundance of delicious snacks to test your fuel intake regime. Be strong KU.....

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:05 pm 

No snacks in the room!

Great show! I don't know why I waited so long to see Yes (in any manifestation). Really nice old theater (one of the nicest I've seen). I managed to run/walk back to hotel without getting mugged and without peeing my pants (I should have hit the john before I left the theater). The worst thing I encountered was a homeless guy sleeping/passed out in a door well with his pants down all the way past his ass.

The OTHER Yes next Thursday in Reno. Man, as I get older I hate GOING anywhere but once I get there I have a good time.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:18 am 

Got tickets to see those Aussi brother and sister act. Angus and Julia.

But also got my tickets to see (witness/dwelve) Melanie De biasio in October. Check out the drumming on No Deal.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:37 pm 

KUIII wrote:
... Man, as I get older I hate GOING anywhere but once I get there I have a good time.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:20 pm 

Roger Waters

Us + Them tour

the hell hole that is AUCKLAND

24th of January 2018

8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:34 pm 

Snarky Puppy
Derek Trucks
Vanilla Fudge
Doobie Brothers/Chicago
Jimmy Messina
Coming up 9-19: McCartney

Had a chance to see DZ again but the setlist is a little '80's heavy, which ain't my favorite FZ period, so I skipped this year.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:23 pm 

cozylittlefooties wrote:
Snarky Puppy
Derek Trucks
Vanilla Fudge
Doobie Brothers/Chicago
Jimmy Messina
Coming up 9-19: McCartney

Had a chance to see DZ again but the setlist is a little '80's heavy, which ain't my favorite FZ period, so I skipped this year.

Big mistake the new yutes added to the band made the show incredible and the show ranked in the top 3 shows they have done IMHO... :idea:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:47 pm 

Touched down in Reno (even though I didn't fly). Saw Steve Howe and Geoff Downes in the lobby (separately). Really like this place. Rooms are fantastic and very reasonable.
www.grandsierraresort.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:20 pm 

KUIII wrote:
Touched down in Reno (even though I didn't fly). Saw Steve Howe and Geoff Downes in the lobby (separately). Really like this place. Rooms are fantastic and very reasonable.
http://www.grandsierraresort.com

I used to stay there a lot when I worked in Reno often in the early 2000...I should have gone I really like Yes... :idea:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:47 pm 

Good show. In contrasting the two current Yes bands:

#1:Steve Howe band played songs from every album until 1980. ARW band played songs from both 70's and 80's.
#2: Steve Howe vs. Trevor Rabin. They're both great but very different players. Both kind of defined the eras they were in the band. Definitely preferred Howe's Roundabout. Rabin put his own spin on it but it didn't surpass Howe's.
#3: Jon Anderson vs. Jon Davison. Davison is a great Anderson impersonator but let's go with the original deal here.
#4: Rick Wakeman vs. Geoff Downes. Even though Downes is a very capable player and handled all the parts just fine don't you have to go with the guy in the cape?
#5: Production (lighting, sound, etc.): Different but even.
#6: Merch: Howe band gets the nod with more and better options.

I'm glad I saw both shows but if you put a gun to my head I'd go with the ARW show.

On a side note Dweezil's old buddy Andre Cholmondeley (sp?) of Project/Object fame was very visible during the show as Steve Howe's guitar tech exchanging guitars and etc. almost every song.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:04 am 

KUIII wrote:

#1:Steve Howe band played songs from every album until 1980. ARW band played songs from both 70's and 80's.
#2: Steve Howe vs. Trevor Rabin. They're both great but very different players. Both kind of defined the eras they were in the band. Definitely preferred Howe's Roundabout. Rabin put his own spin on it but it didn't surpass Howe's.
#3: Jon Anderson vs. Jon Davison. Davison is a great Anderson impersonator but let's go with the original deal here.
#4: Rick Wakeman vs. Geoff Downes. Even though Downes is a very capable player and handled all the parts just fine don't you have to go with the guy in the cape?

I'm glad I saw both shows but if you put a gun to my head I'd go with the ARW show.

On a side note Dweezil's old buddy Andre Cholmondeley (sp?) of Project/Object fame was very visible during the show as Steve Howe's guitar tech exchanging guitars and etc. almost every song.

Dam I wish I could have gone... :(

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:08 pm 

Plook wrote:
KUIII wrote:

Dam I wish I could have gone... :(

+1

provided that André was not in my direct line of sight..... :lol: :lol: :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:51 pm 

Why does everyone dislike this guy, I have no idea so I am obviously loosing my fan status... :smoke:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:30 pm 

Plook wrote:
Why does everyone dislike this guy, I have no idea so I am obviously loosing my fan status... :smoke:

There's no reason to dislike him. Andre rightfully used to complain on this forum when Gail was trying to intimidate club owners into canceling P/O shows. In a few cases she was successful. Back in those days Dweezil sided with his mother. Dweezil was always talking about "accepting no substitutes" and Project/Object was probably the best known Zappa tribute band out there besides ZPZ. Nasty things were said. Adrian Belew was playing at the same festival as ZPZ years ago and was invited to play with ZPZ for a song when Andre was Adrian's guitar tech. Dweezil told Adrian not to let Andre anywhere near the stage. I don't think Adrian took Dweezil's direction and Andre ended up being too close for Dweezil's liking during ZPZ's set. I don't know if Dweezil still harbors any bad feelings towards Andre as he has changed his position on a lot of things since his Mom died. Andre is a very respected guitar tech and has worked for some famous players.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:49 pm 

Plook wrote:

They're just jealous that he hooked up with xyqa and they didn't!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:18 am 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
Roger Waters

Us + Them tour

the hell hole that is AUCKLAND

24th of January 2018

8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Purchased my tickets today, the concert is being held at the recently rebranded Spark Arena, Spark are my telecommunications provider so I was eligible for the Spark customer pre pre pre sale. vip diamond package, row one seats thirteen & fourteen.....woo hoo!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:04 am 

^^^That's better than sitting on the far side of the room but it must have cost a lot of money.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:47 am 

KUIII wrote:
^^^That's better than sitting on the far side of the room but it must have cost a lot of money.

Oh man, an eye watering NZ$1,200.00 each KU'

I may have blown my entertainment budget through to 2020 :lol:

DIAMOND PACKAGE
- One A Reserve seated ticket in the first three rows on the floor
- Limited Edition Set of Us + Them Tour Lithographs, designed exclusively by Roger Waters, with each special set hand numbered & comes with an Official Certificate of Authenticity
- The Roger Waters Time Capsule (Diamond & Emerald Packages Only)
- Includes a timeless collection of Roger Waters VIP themed merchandise along with a commemorative VIP tour laminate & matching lanyard

I'm taking the "you only live once" approach to this purchase.....

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:39 am 

Enjoy! That will be a great experience. I splurged on Pink Floyd/Waters this year too. I only paid about $100 for my Us + Them ticket but I bought the DSOTM and Wish You Were Here Immersion box sets plus the Dramatist/ation box set, a new copy of Animals and the new Roger cd in anticipation of my concert experience. Oh, then I bought a $75 t-shirt at the show that I'm still too fat to wear. It was all worth it, IMO.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:07 am 

KUIII wrote:

I'm going to see ARW on Saturday. So I'll have to check back on the list.

Imo, Andre is a fucking cool guy. It's too bad that all this DZ shit happened and made him look less-than.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:21 am 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
KUIII wrote:

Oh man, an eye watering NZ$1,200.00 each KU'

I may have blown my entertainment budget through to 2020 :lol:

DIAMOND PACKAGE
- One A Reserve seated ticket in the first three rows on the floor
- Limited Edition Set of Us + Them Tour Lithographs, designed exclusively by Roger Waters, with each special set hand numbered & comes with an Official Certificate of Authenticity
- The Roger Waters Time Capsule (Diamond & Emerald Packages Only)
- Includes a timeless collection of Roger Waters VIP themed merchandise along with a commemorative VIP tour laminate & matching lanyard

I'm taking the "you only live once" approach to this purchase.....

You did the right thing, this is a once in a lifetime show, you don't want to miss, I wish i would have sold the farm on this concert also... :smoke:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:28 pm 

So far this year:
2/24 King Buffalo - Mohawk Place, Buffalo
3/7 Adrian Belew Power Trio - The Tralf, Buffalo
3/26 Fishbone - Waiting Room, Buffalo
3/31 Boss Hog - Waiting Room
4/1 Levin Brothers - The Lovin' Cup, Henrietta NY
4/5 Charlie Hunter Trio - 189 Public House, East Aurora NY
4/10 Peter Evans Septet - Hallwalls, Buffalo
4/14 The Obsessed w/ Karma To Burn - Grog Shop, Cleveland
4/21 Sebadoh - The Tralf
5/8 Mike Watt & The Jom & Terry Show - Mohawk Place
5/11 Legendary Shack Shakers w/ Jesse Dayton - Mohawk Place
5/12 Legendary Shack Shakers w/ Jesse Dayton - Montage Music Hall, Rochester
5/21 Whores w/ Wrong, & Bummer - Mohawk Place
6/3 Peter Brotzmann/Heather Leigh Duo - Burchfield-Penney Art Center, Buffalo
6/8 BassDrumBone - Hallwalls
6/11 All Them Witches - Mohawk Place
6/14 Ken Vandermark/Hamid Drake Duo - Hallwalls
6/21 METZ - Mohawk Place
6/24 Weedeater - Bug Jar, Rochester
6/26 Big Business - Bug Jar
6/30 King Crimson - Eastman Theatre, Rochester
7/21 Primus w/ Clutch - Dome Arena, Henrietta
7/23 Negative Approach w/ Bloodclot - Waiting Room
8/1 Melvins w/ Spotlights - Westcott Theater, Syracuse
8/29 Stick Men - Leopard Lounge @ Town Ballroom, Buffalo

Coming up:
9/8 Tom Rainey Trio featuring Mary Halvorson & Ingrid Laubrock - Allen St. Hardware, Buffalo
9/30 Dinosaur Jr. w/ Easy Action - State Theatre, Ithaca NY
10/10 Pelican - Mohawk Place
11/1 John McLaughlin w/ Jimmy Herring - UB Center For The Arts, Amherst NY

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2250 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90  Next