Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2250 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 86, 87, 88, 89, 90
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:39 am 

Close enough!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:45 am 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:57 am 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:24 am 

lapsed maps wrote:

That is the most revolting gif I've seen in quite a long time.

Like the new sig, though :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:23 am 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
Caputh wrote:
...Unfortunately, repetition of conclusions gleaned through transparently skewing statistics does not make those conclusions more convincing - at least not for me.

Anybody need a new signature quote? lapsed, you like to change you're;s frequently

Well I certainly will be borrowing that line if it is cooled with the Ivory Towers, first place I am going to use it is on a guy at work that's been pedaling skewed statistics for 2 years, it's just waiting for the right time... :idea:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:24 pm 

Saw John McLaughlin & Jimmy Herring - "Meeting Of The Spirits" tour - show #1 in Buffalo, Wed. night 11/1. Absolutely awesome. One of the greatest shows I've ever seen in my 28 yrs of seeing live music. Both bands killed, and the Mahavishnu set at the end ripped my face off. Definitely top one to scratch off the bucket list. Albany 11/2 show is apparently supposed to air on youtube tomorrow night, 11/4? Check your local youtube listings. :wink:
Grabbed a cool tour shirt and the new JMc "Live @ Ronnie Scott's" CD for $35. Great live album, similar to what the band had just played.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:10 pm 

Caputh wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:

Caputh wrote:
Did you get a chance to tell Roger how he was interpreting his own song incorrectly?

Did you get a chance to view the 8 clips I recently posted regarding how global warming is a scam?

Would they help me interpret Roger Waters' lyrics better?

As an explanation for why climate change is a "scam", I find them utterly unconvincing, particularly from clip 3 onwards, as they merely repeat themselves with an increasingly unqualified cast. I've already talked about #1 and #2 - here's the rest...

Video #3 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrQxidb4xSQ) is by the retired weatherman John Coleman, who begins his clip by employing the reassuringly scientific language: 'The name of this presentation is "There is no significant global warming" and I'm the guy that is just doggone sure of that'. Unfortunately, asking a weather man about long-term climate change is like asking a modern-day plumber about the aquaduct system of ancient Rome. Plus, he makes the claim that the arctic ice shelf is increasing, a claim that is manifestly untrue.

Video #4 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cxdzm2fnA4) is David Wilcock "debunking" Al Gore. Wilcock's scientific credentials also include the belief in ancient aliens, reincarnation and ancient prophecies that predicted quantam physics: I didn't find him terribly convincing.

Video # 5 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCy_UOjEir0) is at least a Nobel prize winner! Unfortunately, he got the prize for 'experimental discoveries regarding tunnelling phenomena in superconductors'. Ivar Giavever got interested in the topic of climate change by googling it in 2008. He has done no real research on this topic, is not an expert in this field and confines himself to manipulating statistics whilst reciting boring anecdotes about some trip he made to Berlin.

Video #6 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C35pasCr6KI) is an interview with Garth Paltridge, Peter Reid and Bob Carter, all Australians. The first, actually has some qualification to opine on climate change. Paltridge believes that climate change is happening, was caused by man but that its effects are not significant. Here is a link explaining why he is probably wrong in his final conclusion...https://royalsociety.org/topics-policy/ ... estion-17/. Peter Reid's conclusions are of a limited value as he is a marine biologist. Bob Carter, a marine geologist, has been effectively debunked here...https://www.skepticalscience.com/Bob_Carter_arg.htm

Video #7 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFK-UTGH1Zw) is a hearing in which the "well-known scientists", Democrat Al Gore and Republican Steve Scalise, get into an argument. Scalise offers the equivalent of Trump's estimate of crowd sizes by denying that there is a scientific consensus. Neither he nor Gore are really scientists, but I suppose that in the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.

Video #8 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7VUg7nG3lw) is that other "well-known scientist" Newt Gingrich. How can I trust anybody whose Christian name is that of an amphibian?

Also some of them videos are a tad, er, old.

You appear to be of the opinion that the more youtube videos you post, the more convincing your argument is. Unfortunately, repetition of conclusions gleaned through transparently skewing statistics by a bunch of non-experts does not make those conclusions more convincing - at least not for me.

Despite your desire that one should be convinced without consulting any other outside sources, I found the following site to be rather useful in proving that all 8 clips contained no conclusions of value whatsoever.
The basic claims made in your clips about the climate ("Climate's changed before", "It's the sun", "It's not bad", "There is no consensus", "It's cooling", "Models are unreliable", "Temp record is unreliable" "Animals and plants can adapt", "It hasn't warmed since 1998", "Antarctica is gaining ice") are all debunked here...
https://www.skepticalscience.com/

BTW, did you hear about the draft report, published Monday, by scientists from 13 federal agencies that '[t]he average temperature in the United States has risen rapidly and drastically since 1980, and recent decades have been the warmest of the past 1,500 years...“Many lines of evidence demonstrate that human activities, especially emissions of greenhouse (heat-trapping) gases, are primarily responsible for recent observed climate change,” they wrote.'
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/07/clim ... v=top-news

Yes, this was off-topic.

The argument has more to do with global warming being a scam and that climate change isn't happening as quickly as the left think it is. Anyway...

If you did in fact watch all the above clips, that's admirable. But 90% of the above is cherry-picked and indulgent in character assassinations, claiming that because some of the people, even though they are experts, are not scientists, therefore, they have no credibility. Instead of perusing the information presented - which you've only scratched the surface of (for example, you fail to debate the fact that many governments don't fund scientists if they don't conform to global warming beliefs, or that Al Gore's claims have thoroughly been discredited). Because with that 'criteria', then theoretically, Frank Zappa couldn't have been a respected musician or composer, because he wasn't traditionally trained as such. I could continue posting 1 clip per day like I did for the first week or so, but you'd just indulge in the same character assassination diversion tactics by either not looking at or ignoring much of the information presented. So why should I bother?! Oh and btw, last winter, Vancouver got hit by the hardest snowfall we've had in nearly a DECADE, and we just got hit with snow earlier this morning, even though it's only early November - which I don't believe has ever happened in my lifetime. And over the past 4-5 years, we've also had some of the coldest winters in DECADES. It must be global warming!!! ROTF!!! :mrgreen:

In other words, Caputh, and as usual, you include verbosity over substance. I've got one word for you...

...pathetic.

Last edited by Disco Boy on Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:45 pm 

I’m thinking about checking in to a hotel in the next town over and going to see Reverend Horton, the Voodoo Glow Skulls, and Big Sandy & The Fly Right Boys on January 16th. This will come the day after a work project ends that starts Monday and will keep me working or on call every day for the next ten weeks straight. I hope I make it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:56 pm 

KUIII wrote:
I’m thinking about checking in to a hotel in the next town over and going to see Reverend Horton, the Voodoo Glow Skulls, and Big Sandy & The Fly Right Boys on January 16th. This will come the day after a work project ends that starts Monday and will keep me working or on call every day for the next ten weeks straight. I hope I make it.

A worthy reward for ten weeks of work!

Make that booking KU, that's an order!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:08 am 

Location: Behind a ultra-avant laminated, simulated replica-mahogany desk
Although I am not going, I will try to catch the free youtube webcast of John McLaughlin's farewell tour with Jimmy Herring, tonight. Begins in about 14h from now (06 pm EST and ~23h in London, check it out):

John McLaughlin & Jimmy Herring: A Meeting of the Spirits : 11/4/17 : The Capitol Theatre Full Show

Watch John McLaughlin & Jimmy Herring: A Meeting of the Spirits live from The Capitol Theatre (www.thecapitoltheatre.com) on Saturday, November 4 at 8PM. One of fusion's most virtuosic guitar soloists, John McLaughlin placed his blazing speed in the service of a searching spiritual passion that has kept his music evolving and open to new influences. Whether shredding on electric or simmering quietly on acoustic, McLaughlin's intensity and underappreciated versatility have nearly always kept his playing vital, and his best moments -- whether as a solo artist or bandmember -- represent some of fusion's greatest recordings. American guitarist Jimmy Herring is a musician's musician. The North Carolina native has been playing guitar for close to 40 years and exhibits signs that he's just getting started. A staple in the Jazz Fusion and Jam Band scene, Herring studied guitar at Berklee College of Music and the Guitar Institute of Technology. His playing style melds the influences of Jimi Hendrix's raw emotion, the twang of Steve Morse, and the flowing phrases of jazz legends Charlie Parker and John Coltrane. Produced + Directed by: Jonathan Healey Executive Producer: Peter Shapiro Camera Operator: Dave Brown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPWa9F4UBQQ

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:43 am 

Hello, Disco Boy. If you want to read my reply to your last post - it's here...

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18570&start=800

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:13 pm 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Although I am not going, I will try to catch the free youtube webcast of John McLaughlin's farewell tour with Jimmy Herring, tonight. Begins in about 14h from now (06 pm EST and ~23h in London, check it out):

John McLaughlin & Jimmy Herring: A Meeting of the Spirits : 11/4/17 : The Capitol Theatre Full Show

Watch John McLaughlin & Jimmy Herring: A Meeting of the Spirits live from The Capitol Theatre (http://www.thecapitoltheatre.com) on Saturday, November 4 at 8PM. One of fusion's most virtuosic guitar soloists, John McLaughlin placed his blazing speed in the service of a searching spiritual passion that has kept his music evolving and open to new influences. Whether shredding on electric or simmering quietly on acoustic, McLaughlin's intensity and underappreciated versatility have nearly always kept his playing vital, and his best moments -- whether as a solo artist or bandmember -- represent some of fusion's greatest recordings. American guitarist Jimmy Herring is a musician's musician. The North Carolina native has been playing guitar for close to 40 years and exhibits signs that he's just getting started. A staple in the Jazz Fusion and Jam Band scene, Herring studied guitar at Berklee College of Music and the Guitar Institute of Technology. His playing style melds the influences of Jimi Hendrix's raw emotion, the twang of Steve Morse, and the flowing phrases of jazz legends Charlie Parker and John Coltrane. Produced + Directed by: Jonathan Healey Executive Producer: Peter Shapiro Camera Operator: Dave Brown

Begins in about 45 min.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:19 pm 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Mr_Green_Genes wrote:

Watch John McLaughlin & Jimmy Herring: A Meeting of the Spirits live from The Capitol Theatre (http://www.thecapitoltheatre.com) on Saturday, November 4 at 8PM. One of fusion's most virtuosic guitar soloists, John McLaughlin placed his blazing speed in the service of a searching spiritual passion that has kept his music evolving and open to new influences. Whether shredding on electric or simmering quietly on acoustic, McLaughlin's intensity and underappreciated versatility have nearly always kept his playing vital, and his best moments -- whether as a solo artist or bandmember -- represent some of fusion's greatest recordings. American guitarist Jimmy Herring is a musician's musician. The North Carolina native has been playing guitar for close to 40 years and exhibits signs that he's just getting started. A staple in the Jazz Fusion and Jam Band scene, Herring studied guitar at Berklee College of Music and the Guitar Institute of Technology. His playing style melds the influences of Jimi Hendrix's raw emotion, the twang of Steve Morse, and the flowing phrases of jazz legends Charlie Parker and John Coltrane. Produced + Directed by: Jonathan Healey Executive Producer: Peter Shapiro Camera Operator: Dave Brown

Begins in about 45 min.

Alarm set.....Cheers Mr.GG

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:01 pm 

Wow, that was a beautiful way to spend a sunny Sunday afternoon.

Thanks again Mr. GG, without your heads up, that amazing concert would have passed me by.....

Bookmarked for a repeat listen.....

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:24 am 

Nice GG, I was up until late to see this live and it payed off!

For those who missed and to revisit a hundred times:

PS. BTW lots of Zappa references in the chat and also in the Capitol ad to illustrate how historic the venue is, they show a pic of the sing on the front reading FZ & Mothers...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:47 pm 

Gonna be in LA next month & planning to go to the Baked Potato for the Monday Night Jam w/ Jamie Kime. I went to one of those last year and had a great time.

Monday Night Pro Jammz”…yeah baby!
Chris Roy-Bass
Jamie Kime-Guitar
Special Guest on Drums & Guitar
Anything Goes
Jamm Night Bring Your Axe
$10.00

While on the Baked Potato website I noticed that the following are playing there on Nov 10:

Mike Miller Super All Stars
Chad Wackerman…Awesome Drums
Jimmy Johnson…Mega Bassss…
Walt Fowler…Blowing Trumpet
Mike Miller…Burnin’ Guitar

I thought Walt Fowler didn't play much anymore. I'd love to go to that if I was in LA that night!

Wish I could meet you there. I love that place.
Hope Jamie plays a tune from his CD - Alleys for you. I bought it there at a Joe Travers gig. Shinebox is a great one
Enjoy!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:53 am 

Thanks for the tip, I'll hafta check out the cd... and am looking forward to trying another one of their Potatos! :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:59 am 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:12 pm 

Dude tonight is the Cubenisis gig... :o

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:53 pm 

^9 - 1am!

Remember when we got there around 11.30, after the J. Travers gig?

Good times, man.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:55 pm 

coevad wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:22 pm 

Jethro Tull 50th Anniversary Tour- June 6, 2018 - Sacramento Community Theater
Tix on sale tomorrow at 10am. No brainer for me.

I wish it was at the Crest Theater though which is within walking distance of the Community Theater.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:34 am 

^^^
Naaahhhh, you just want to get a t-shirt that sez...

btw, I'm seeing John McLaughlin / Jimmy Herring Meeting of the Spirits tonight. Psyched, as I've never seen JM before.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:03 am 

^^^
Naaahhhh, you just want to get a t-shirt that sez...

btw, I'm seeing John McLaughlin / Jimmy Herring Meeting of the Spirits tonight. Psyched, as I've never seen JM before.

EXCELLENT!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:02 pm 

Just saw the "Meeting of the Spirits - John McLaughlin & Jimmy Herring" tour stop in Ann Arbor a couple of days ago. Best show on the road right now. If you can go, do it. You won't be disappointed. They are in Chicago at the Vic tonight and tomorrow. I hope some of the Chicago people here get a chance to check it out. You'll kick yourselves for missing out.

Pro shot video from this tour - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPWa9F4 ... e=youtu.be

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2250 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 86, 87, 88, 89, 90