Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2250 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 86, 87, 88, 89, 90  Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:34 pm 

I read somewhere Alice can't make it so they are bringing in Audrey Cooper... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:59 pm 

Plook wrote:
I read somewhere Alice can't make it so they are bringing in Audrey Cooper... :mrgreen:

I heard it was James Fenimore Cooper.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:06 pm 

You sure it wasn't Agent Cooper?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:13 pm 

NOOOOOoooooOOOOOoooooOOOOOoooooOOOOOoooooOOOOOooooo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:22 am 

KUIII wrote:
Very cool. There’s an interview with MK on YouTube somewhere where he talks about the unlikelihood of any more Vai piano reductions from him but mentions the possibility of a Japanese woman picking up the mantle.

From Vai newsletter:

Piano Reductions Vol II
I'm just wrapping up works on a "Piano Reductions: Vol. II" that will probably be the next thing I release. I love these records and this time we found the amazingly talented Miho Arai to perform these songs on solo piano. Miho and I have been working on this record on and off for the past 2 years. She is quite extraordinary and the record came out so beautifully. Not sure of the release date yet but we will keep you posted and will be giving more details in the future.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:05 pm 

Tonight!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:08 pm 

Gray_Ghost wrote:

Tonight!

Rock totally out dude... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:31 pm 

Plook wrote:
Gray_Ghost wrote:

Tonight!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:07 am 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
Plook wrote:
Gray_Ghost wrote:

Tonight!

Step on a few baby chickens for me. :smoke:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:57 pm 

January 28 ~ Zappa Meets Oswald, Fei And Milton Wong Experimental Theatre
April 25 ~ DZPWTFHW?!, Commodore Ballroom
April 29 ~ Kansas, Moore Theatre in Seattle (Leftoverture in its entirety)
June 2 ~ Midnight Oil, Malkin Bowl (in Stanley Park)
August 13 ~ Bryan Ferry, Orpheum Theatre
August 25 ~ Chicago, PNE Amphitheatre
September 1 ~ Guns N' Roses, BC Place Stadium
September 5 ~ Yes w/ Todd Rundgren, Queen Elizabeth Theatre
October 25 ~ Depeche Mode, Rogers Arena
October 28 ~ Roger Waters, Rogers Arena

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:53 am 

Disco Boy wrote:

I thought you hated Roger Waters? Was he crap?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:11 pm 

Caputh wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:

I thought you hated Roger Waters? Was he crap?

I saw it in Sac and it was an Event!...recommend this show to everyone spend the dough you must go!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:59 pm 

^^^I would imagine DB would have been seething during Pigs if he was truly a man of his conscience. If I felt as strongly about something I would have walked out in disgust.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:13 pm 

KUIII wrote:
^^^I would imagine DB would have been seething during Pigs if he was truly a man of his conscience. If I felt as strongly about something I would have walked out in disgust.

You imagine wrong. In fact, I was almost laughing during the song, since Waters' criticisms of Trump are, of course, almost entirely incorrect. Hillary is far more applicable in Pigs than Trump...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:19 pm 

You’re nearly a laugh, but you’re really a cry. :cry:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:53 am 

Disco Boy wrote:
KUIII wrote:

You imagine wrong. In fact, I was almost laughing during the song, since Waters' criticisms of Trump are, of course, almost entirely incorrect. Hillary is far more applicable in Pigs than Trump...

Almost incorrect? Which small parts of it were correct in your view?

Did you get a chance to tell Roger how he was interpreting his own song incorrectly?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:33 am 

Roger Waters is a damn communist, stay away.

Saw Lambchop yesterday in Hasselt, Belgium. Last show of the world tour.

Next will be Alice Cooper on November, 18th. In february 2018 Steven Wilson, Essen (home match) and Randy Newman in march, Antwerp. Belgium again. They got damn good food and beers :D

In the meantime I'll find something else.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:44 am 

Gonna be in LA next month & planning to go to the Baked Potato for the Monday Night Jam w/ Jamie Kime. I went to one of those last year and had a great time.

Monday Night Pro Jammz”…yeah baby!
Chris Roy-Bass
Jamie Kime-Guitar
Special Guest on Drums & Guitar
Anything Goes
Jamm Night Bring Your Axe
$10.00

While on the Baked Potato website I noticed that the following are playing there on Nov 10:

Mike Miller Super All Stars
Chad Wackerman…Awesome Drums
Jimmy Johnson…Mega Bassss…
Walt Fowler…Blowing Trumpet
Mike Miller…Burnin’ Guitar

I thought Walt Fowler didn't play much anymore. I'd love to go to that if I was in LA that night!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:24 pm 

^^ Great small venue. That's where Plook and I met Ruth Romanoff.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:21 pm 

I was eyeballing that Mike Miller gig but now we have to wait to go down to Socal until December if we get to go at all...Arkay go to the Cubenisis show at the Golden Sails in long Beach on Saturday the 11th if you have a chance, guaranteed to blow your mind...a must see and its like 5 or 10 bucks to get in...must see!... :!:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:48 pm 

King Crimson 11/15

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:55 pm 

Caputh wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:
KUIII wrote:

Almost incorrect? Which small parts of it were correct in your view?

Hillary is the Pig, not Trump. Hillary is the corrupt one, not Trump. And there were plenty of MISQUOTES and OUT OF CONTEXT quotes on the video/projection screens.

Caputh wrote:
Did you get a chance to tell Roger how he was interpreting his own song incorrectly?

Did you get a chance to view the 8 clips I recently posted regarding how global warming is a scam?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:57 am 

Disco Boy wrote:

Caputh wrote:

Did you get a chance to view the 8 clips I recently posted regarding how global warming is a scam?

Would they help me interpret Roger Waters' lyrics better?

As an explanation for why climate change is a "scam", I find them utterly unconvincing, particularly from clip 3 onwards, as they merely repeat themselves with an increasingly unqualified cast. I've already talked about #1 and #2 - here's the rest...

Video #3 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrQxidb4xSQ) is by the retired weatherman John Coleman, who begins his clip by employing the reassuringly scientific language: 'The name of this presentation is "There is no significant global warming" and I'm the guy that is just doggone sure of that'. Unfortunately, asking a weather man about long-term climate change is like asking a modern-day plumber about the aquaduct system of ancient Rome. Plus, he makes the claim that the arctic ice shelf is increasing, a claim that is manifestly untrue.

Video #4 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cxdzm2fnA4) is David Wilcock "debunking" Al Gore. Wilcock's scientific credentials also include the belief in ancient aliens, reincarnation and ancient prophecies that predicted quantam physics: I didn't find him terribly convincing.

Video # 5 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCy_UOjEir0) is at least a Nobel prize winner! Unfortunately, he got the prize for 'experimental discoveries regarding tunnelling phenomena in superconductors'. Ivar Giavever got interested in the topic of climate change by googling it in 2008. He has done no real research on this topic, is not an expert in this field and confines himself to manipulating statistics whilst reciting boring anecdotes about some trip he made to Berlin.

Video #6 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C35pasCr6KI) is an interview with Garth Paltridge, Peter Reid and Bob Carter, all Australians. The first, actually has some qualification to opine on climate change. Paltridge believes that climate change is happening, was caused by man but that its effects are not significant. Here is a link explaining why he is probably wrong in his final conclusion...https://royalsociety.org/topics-policy/ ... estion-17/. Peter Reid's conclusions are of a limited value as he is a marine biologist. Bob Carter, a marine geologist, has been effectively debunked here...https://www.skepticalscience.com/Bob_Carter_arg.htm

Video #7 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFK-UTGH1Zw) is a hearing in which the "well-known scientists", Democrat Al Gore and Republican Steve Scalise, get into an argument. Scalise offers the equivalent of Trump's estimate of crowd sizes by denying that there is a scientific consensus. Neither he nor Gore are really scientists, but I suppose that in the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.

Video #8 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7VUg7nG3lw) is that other "well-known scientist" Newt Gingrich. How can I trust anybody whose Christian name is that of an amphibian?

Also some of them videos are a tad, er, old.

You appear to be of the opinion that the more youtube videos you post, the more convincing your argument is. Unfortunately, repetition of conclusions gleaned through transparently skewing statistics by a bunch of non-experts does not make those conclusions more convincing - at least not for me.

Despite your desire that one should be convinced without consulting any other outside sources, I found the following site to be rather useful in proving that all 8 clips contained no conclusions of value whatsoever.
The basic claims made in your clips about the climate ("Climate's changed before", "It's the sun", "It's not bad", "There is no consensus", "It's cooling", "Models are unreliable", "Temp record is unreliable" "Animals and plants can adapt", "It hasn't warmed since 1998", "Antarctica is gaining ice") are all debunked here...
https://www.skepticalscience.com/

BTW, did you hear about the draft report, published Monday, by scientists from 13 federal agencies that '[t]he average temperature in the United States has risen rapidly and drastically since 1980, and recent decades have been the warmest of the past 1,500 years...“Many lines of evidence demonstrate that human activities, especially emissions of greenhouse (heat-trapping) gases, are primarily responsible for recent observed climate change,” they wrote.'
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/07/clim ... v=top-news

Yes, this was off-topic.

Last edited by Caputh on Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:26 am 

Caputh wrote:
...Unfortunately, repetition of conclusions gleaned through transparently skewing statistics does not make those conclusions more convincing - at least not for me.

Anybody need a new signature quote? lapsed, you like to change you're;s frequently

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:36 am 

aaaaaand done.

thanx manx!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2250 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 86, 87, 88, 89, 90  Next