Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2610 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:44 am 

I saw Todd Rundgren’s The Individualist Tour last night. He did not disappoint. He played about two and a half hours counting the intermission.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:41 am 

KUIII wrote:
I saw Todd Rundgren’s The Individualist Tour last night. He did not disappoint. He played about two and a half hours counting the intermission.

Play list please... :idea:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:56 am 

Plook wrote:
KUIII wrote:

See coevad’s recent list on the Rundgren/Andy thread. It’s identical (or very, very close) to last night’s show.

He hit on some corners of his catalogue that I wasn’t very familiar with (especially the second set). I’ll have to go see what albums some of those songs were on.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:03 am 

BBP wrote:
Bought tickets for Dir En Grey!

Now, what could I do in Dortmund...

https://www.tripadvisor.co.nz/Attractio ... halia.html

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:04 am 

KUIII wrote:
Plook wrote:
KUIII wrote:

See coevad’s recent list on the Rundgren/Andy thread. It’s identical (or very, very close) to last night’s show.

He hit on some corners of his catalogue that I wasn’t very familiar with (especially the second set). I’ll have to go see what albums some of those songs were on.

I hope you had a blast KU'

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:16 am 

^^^ Blast confirmed! 8)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:43 pm 

KUIII wrote:
^^^ Blast confirmed! 8)

Excellent!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:36 am 

Saw The Aristocrats last night in Sacramento in a packed club. I’m happy that they decided to put chairs down throughout the club so everybody could be seated. It was the first show of their world tour outside of two warmup gigs in LA. Their new album “You Know What...?” came out just a few days ago and they mostly played songs from that. Incredible musicians. Guthrie Govan is a next level guitarist. Marco Minnemann played a fantastic drum solo. Bryan Beller acted as ring leader. Very fun and funny guys. I’m looking forward to becoming more familiar to the new songs. Go see these guys if you have a chance. The Travis Larson Band opened.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:15 am 

^^^ 8) 8) 8)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:58 pm 

I'm in! 8pm-11pm

500 people is all it holds. GA is $23.00. I decided not to do a table or booth($100-150).

Baked Potato has two nights(14th&15th) at $30.00 per set(80 min.)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:26 am 

^^^^^ Nice! ^^^^^

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:17 am 

I'm jealous... :evil:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:41 pm 

Plook wrote:
I'm jealous... :evil:

Now I don't really care about the Bizarre World tour. :mrgreen: I'll probably go, though.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:24 am 

maybe you could take in a musical

Stage & Screen

See a musical about the worst song ever

by staff/July 3, 2019

When the question is raised, “What was the worst song ever recorded?” among the most popular answers is an off key lament for a lost cat titled “My Pal Foot Foot.” It appeared on the album Philosophy of the World, released in 1969 by the Shaggs. It’s said that only 1,000 copies of the LP were pressed, and that the band’s manager absconded with 900 of them.

He wasn’t the only one who made their lives miserable. The Shaggs were three teenaged sisters from a little town in New Hampshire, Dot, Betty and Helen Wiggin. None of them was musically trained or naturally talented or wanted to be a rock star. But their overbearing father Austin Wiggin believed musical success to be their destiny, based on a palm reading.

So he made the girls drop out of school, bought them instruments from a pawnshop, forced them to practice and got them a regular gig at the local town hall.

But in the interim, a weird thing happened: Frank Zappa somehow got hold of a copy of their record and played excerpts from it on the Dr. Demento radio show, waggishly proclaiming the Shaggs “better than the Beatles.”

The band then had a brief flush of bemused popular success; their LP was rereleased in 1980, panned by critics even as it attained cult status. Some in the punk world proclaimed the Shaggs progenitors of Outsider rock; Kurt Cobain became a big fan. The Wiggin sisters seemed embarrassed about the whole phenomenon.

Their strange story inspired Joy Gregory and Gunnar Madsen to write an “unconventional musical” called The Shaggs: Philosophy of the World, which premiered in Los Angeles in 2003.

A New York Theatre Workshop/Playwrights Horizons co-production ran Off-Broadway in 2011 and garnered a slew of awards.

A movie version has long been rumored to be in development. Now, for the first time since the 2011 run, the Bridge Street Theatre in Catskill is readying a revival, featuring one of the show’s original stars, Steven Patterson, as Austin Wiggin. “It’s probably the greatest role I’ve ever had in my career in musical theater – sort of like having to play Mama Rose in Gypsy and King Lear on the same night – and I can’t wait to revisit it with this cast,” says Patterson.

In the amateur spirit of the origin story, students from the Catskill Central School District, Alexa Powell, Amara Wilson and Meeghan Darling, will portray Dot, Betty and Helen Wiggin. Also in the cast are Molly Parker Myers, Julian Broughton, Magnus Bush and Edward Donahue. John Sowle directs.

The Shaggs: Philosophy of the World will be performed Thursdays through Saturdays at 7:30 p.m. and Sundays at 2 p.m. from July 11 to 21.

The preview on July 11 and the July 14 matinée will feature “pay what you will” pricing. For other performances, tickets cost $22 in advance, $25 at the door if still available, $10 for students aged 21 and under.

To order, call (800) 838-3006 or visit https://shaggs.brownpapertickets.com.

Visit https://bridgest.org for more info.

The Bridge Street Theatre is located at 44 West Bridge Street in Catskill.

The Shaggs: Philosophy of the World , Thursday-Sunday, July 11-21, 7:30 p.m./2 p.m.,$25/$22/$10, Bridge Street Theatre, 44 West Bridge St., Catskill, (800) 838-3006, https://shaggs.brownpapertickets.com, https://bridgest.org

https://hudsonvalleyone.com/2019/07/03/ ... song-ever/

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:44 am 

Tonight in Irvine, CA

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:52 am 

My_Name_Is_Fritz wrote:
I saw Ike Willis with Zappatika the other day. Nothing I've to do again. It was a little bit sad.
Tomorrow I'm going to see Element of Crime. A band consisting of old german men, singing about old men & old women, prefered by older people, who understand german.
Steve Hackett
Rammstein
Herbert Knebels Affentheater
Archive
&
Dweezil on 11/30

I have seen Zappatika videos on YouTube, and thought the same thing.

I do not think it is the fault of Ike however. I have seen Ike in the past years perform with Project Object, and properly backed, Ike can still go.
Did you get to chat with Ike at all? He's a real character, and tells an exellent story or 2.

Last night i saw Kings X in New Bedford. Awesome show, i was right in front. Same setlist they usually do.

Aug 3rd Claypool Lennon Delerium and Flaming Lips Worcester
Oct 5th Die Antwoord

My wife wants me to see George Straight with her in a big stadium, i will most likley go to that too.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:11 pm 

^^I like King’s X a lot. I finally saw them a few years ago for the first time and they were great. They’re supposed to be working on a new album. Their first in about 10 years I think. I’m thinking about going to see the Experience Hendrix Tour this fall in part because Dug is a participant.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:51 am 

Kings X is my wife's favorite band, that's how I got into them, now I'm a full blown fan.

Dug's a great guy, and most talented. I went to shake his hand last night, not expecting him to remember me from the last time we met, but he remembered and insisted on a hug. He's got loooong arms man.

I'll try to put up some pics (no promises)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:17 am 

Yeah, when I saw them I remember thinking that Dug was even lankier looking in person. There’s a great new King’s X book by Greg Prato that came out earlier this year that you should look into if you haven’t already.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:42 am 

Scored some lawn tix for Farm Aid! :mrgreen: It did take multiple tries though. My first attempt took more than 10 minutes to process my card, so it dumped me. Argh...
And, but also, tonight is Cracker (Acoustic set) and Camper Van Beethoven!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:25 pm 

^^”What the world needs now is another folk singer like I need a hole in my head “. Still a brilliant sentiment after all these years. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:29 am 

coevad wrote:

Tonight in Irvine, CA

Great concert, but...

Ian still has trouble singing. Video singers helped out some.

Ian's harmonica and flute playing was as great as ever, though.
A lot of old material was played. Great crowd, too.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:26 am 

coevad wrote:
coevad wrote:

Tonight in Irvine, CA

Great concert, but...

Ian still has trouble singing. Video singers helped out some.

Ian's harmonica and flute playing was as great as ever, though.
A lot of old material was played. Great crowd, too.

Does he still have the younger vocalist in the band that sings some of the lines?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:46 am 

^^No. Not live anyway. He finally appeared on video singing about half of Aqualung.
A lady violinist, on video, split Heavy Horses vocals with Ian. The bass player sang more this time.
Ian seemed to sing better on the old bluesy stuff, also.

No merch for me. They only had three tshirts to choose from. One was the logo I posted earlier. Other two were Aqualung and Broadsword.

Oh, and they played Warm Sporran from Stormwatch. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:39 pm 

One of the bands that my son is playing in, Swamp Zen, is recording a live album this Saturday at the Sierra Nevada Big Room. This is a veteran band that’s been gigging for ten years. I’m certain my son is the youngest member at 22 and he’s been with them for less than a year. If you want to play six degrees of separation between my son and Frank Zappa (besides my obsession with FZ), one of the guitar players in Swamp Zen was in the Zappa tribute band For The Love of Frank that played a show with Robert Martin, Ike Willis, and Ray White at the same venue that Plook and I attended about five years ago. I have chemo this week so I probably won’t be feeling my best but I need to drag myself to this one. http://www.chicoer.com/swamp-zen-discus ... erformance

https://www.facebook.com/chicogrown

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2610 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105  Next