Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2250 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90  Next
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:48 am 

KUIII wrote:
Good show. In contrasting the two current Yes bands:

#1:Steve Howe band played songs from every album until 1980. ARW band played songs from both 70's and 80's.
#2: Steve Howe vs. Trevor Rabin. They're both great but very different players. Both kind of defined the eras they were in the band. Definitely preferred Howe's Roundabout. Rabin put his own spin on it but it didn't surpass Howe's.
#3: Jon Anderson vs. Jon Davison. Davison is a great Anderson impersonator but let's go with the original deal here.
#4: Rick Wakeman vs. Geoff Downes. Even though Downes is a very capable player and handled all the parts just fine don't you have to go with the guy in the cape?
#5: Production (lighting, sound, etc.): Different but even.
#6: Merch: Howe band gets the nod with more and better options.

I'm glad I saw both shows but if you put a gun to my head I'd go with the ARW show.

On a side note Dweezil's old buddy Andre Cholmondeley (sp?) of Project/Object fame was very visible during the show as Steve Howe's guitar tech exchanging guitars and etc. almost every song.

Now that I too have seen both incarnations in a short span of time, I gotta say I agree with nearly all of the above... except I end up choosing the Howe version.
Anderson sounded great. I half-expected him to sound frail, but he did a great job. Wakeman was the star even though there were often clams. Pulling out the Key-tar and generally being a showman, it was a fun show. Rabin wasn't exactly bad, but with more clams than Wakeman, I'd say it was disappointing. Maybe he's just an old guy who wishes he had a young guy's chops.
Worst though, was the setlist.

ARW at Riverside, Sep 9
Cinema
Perpetual Change
Hold On
South Side of the Sky
And You and I
Lift Me Up
Rhythm of Love
I Am Waiting
Heart of the Sunrise
Awaken
Owner of a Lonely Heart

Encore:
Roundabout

That middle section of Lift Me Up, Rhythm of Love and I Am Waiting was eternal; I was just waiting for it to be done. But once it was done we got a great Heart of the Sunrise. Imo, it was the best of the night because Rabin could actually play the parts. The whole band was together. That bled over into Awaken as well. Owner of a Lonely Heart was a fun string of solos. The drummer was fine, but not particularly interesting. The bass player sounded generally slow, only getting out of 1st gear for his own solo.

Yes at Yestival, Aug 19
Survival
Time and a Word
Yours Is No Disgrace
South Side of the Sky
And You and I
Leaves of Green
Soon
Going for the One
Don't Kill the Whale
Machine Messiah

Encore:
Madrigal
Roundabout

The setlists don't compare. I admit though that I've never been a big fan of the 80s Yes, even though the 1st Yes show I ever saw was Big Generator tour. I liked Cinema though. But, that Howe setlist is all killer, no filler.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:10 am 

Tomorrow, Sept 18, I'm off to Montreal to see a show featuring Mattew Shipp on piano, John Butcher on tenor and soprano sax and feedback, and Thomas Lehn on analogue synthisizer. It should be a night of wild improvisation. Opening the show is a young woman from the U.K. named Faye McCalman, who is a new name to me. She'll be doing solo bass clarinet. After some internet research on this gal, I'm equally excited about her set as I am with the main event.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:25 am 

zero

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:18 am 

Zappafest goes on each year in Milwaukee, but I've only gone once, 2 years ago. So, this year, I'm putting it on the calendar well in advance. Saturday December 9 at Shank Hall.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:25 pm 

^^So what goes on at Zappafest?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:36 am 

A bunch of Zappa cover bands of varying levels of complexity. Some are more fun, some more serious. Here's my review of the last one I saw. Of course, all the pics removed thanx to photobucket.

http://forum.zappa.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12187&p=709059&hilit=gozortenplat#p709059

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:28 pm 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
ARW at Riverside, Sep 9
Cinema
Perpetual Change
Hold On
South Side of the Sky
And You and I
Lift Me Up
Rhythm of Love
I Am Waiting
Heart of the Sunrise
Awaken
Owner of a Lonely Heart

Encore:
Roundabout

That middle section of Lift Me Up, Rhythm of Love and I Am Waiting was eternal; I was just waiting for it to be done.

Seeing ARW October 8th. Will prob go to pee during that middle section.

>You don't.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:08 pm 

sleeping in a jar wrote:
ARW at Riverside, Sep 9
Cinema
Perpetual Change
Hold On
South Side of the Sky
And You and I
Lift Me Up
Rhythm of Love
I Am Waiting
Heart of the Sunrise
Awaken
Owner of a Lonely Heart

Encore:
Roundabout

That middle section of Lift Me Up, Rhythm of Love and I Am Waiting was eternal; I was just waiting for it to be done.

Seeing ARW October 8th. Will prob go to pee during that middle section.

Maybe sometime around Owner Of A Lonely Heart/Roundabout you could take a shit. :mrgreen:

What these guys need is a Squire hologram. Or they could fall back on the tired old worn out gimmick of performing an entire album. In this case it would probably have to be from their glory year with Rabin - 1983-1984. Of course, if they play 90125 in it's entirety the bathrooms will be extremely overcrowded.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:39 am 

Saw: Adrian Belew Power Trio, George Clinton and Parliament-Funkadelic, PJ Harvey, Jandek, Tool, King Crimson
Plan to see: Living Colour, Kamasi Washington, Mogwai

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:52 am 

^^^Where are you planning to see Living Colour? I don't see any west coast dates.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:44 pm 

KUIII wrote:
^^^Where are you planning to see Living Colour? I don't see any west coast dates.

Leesburg, VA in October.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:51 am 

ARW at Riverside, Sep 9
Cinema
Perpetual Change
Hold On
South Side of the Sky
And You and I
Lift Me Up
Rhythm of Love
I Am Waiting
Heart of the Sunrise
Awaken
Owner of a Lonely Heart

Encore:
Roundabout

Saw the show last night in Red Bank, NJ, and found it to be very good, much better than I'd anticipated. And no, I did not go to pee at any time. The setlist was the same, except they replaced Lift Me Up with Changes, an excellent substitution imo. Anderson's was in great voice, the band was tight yet relaxed, and the sound was clear. Though obviously not Squire and White, Lee Pomeroy and Louis Molino III were both better than I'd anticipated. Rabin was good, I don't dislike him, but of course I would have preferred Steve. I enjoyed his personal touches on the material, including his alternate intro to And You and I. Rick Wakeman is a treasure!

I really enjoyed the revised and extended take on Awaken, one of my favorite songs ever. When they began with the quiet harp section I thought, "Hmmm, they're starting in the middle of the song...I can accept that." But it turned out to be a great introduction to the full song. HOTS was outstanding as well. Never thought I'd hear Yes cover Sunshine of Your Love, but they did during the OOALH jam. The band seemed to be in a zone the entire show and I enjoyed every song.

The buddy I went with had seen Howe and Co. an few weeks ago, so naturally the first thing I asked him afterward was for a comparison. He said there was none; ARW was superior in every way.

>You don't.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:55 pm 

1st time seeing Pixies last night.

They were backlit, so not very easy to see the band or what they were doing. As a guitarist, I always like to see where the hands are positioned etc...
But, great energy, sold-out, good stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:12 pm 

On 10/27 we saw Brian Wilson and his amazing wall of harmony. He did a good mix, and the middle of the show was the Pet Sounds album, front to back.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:00 pm 

baddy wrote:
On 10/27 we saw Brian Wilson and his amazing wall of harmony. He did a good mix, and the middle of the show was the Pet Sounds album, front to back.

Wow!!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:06 am 

baddy wrote:

Yeah.....I saw this a bit earlier. It was a very good time! They did a great job backing-up Brian (and his voice) and making it sound very BIG! He's taking this tour 'round one more time. It's well worth going to see.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:31 pm 

Back in the day (a couple of decades before the Internet), I used to live for every new Beach Boys and Frank Zappa album, 40% Zappa, 40% Beach Boys, and 20% everything else :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:48 pm 

Sixteen days till Alice insanity package Cooper

My hair's getting really good in the back!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:10 pm 

At Progtoberfest III right now. Already missed a chance to see Keneally sit in with a band called Frog Cafe. Lots more to go though...

I hear they played Peaches

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:24 pm 

I am currrently enjoying Necromonkey... Keneally is too, fom the other side of the table! 8)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:01 am 

Got to hang w Mike Keneally and Joe Travers last night and am super psyched for The Don and Bunk Show w MK and Ike tonight!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:27 am 

Got to hang w Mike Keneally and Joe Travers last night and am super psyched for The Don and Bunk Show w MK and Ike tonight!

Excellent!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:14 am 

^^^ You're right! That's just what it was.

Me and a friend held on to front row seats all day. We'd take turns checking out the Rock room in the venue, but I wanted to be right in front for Don & Bunk in the music joint.

Before Don & Bunk was Moulder, Gray & Wertico. These 3 top notch performers were the powerhouses of the weekend. They played for an hour, but I felt they could go on and never run out of ideas. Moulder's tone fucking ruled! Not jazz, not rock, but both and very creative. I'm gonna hafta get some of their recordings. I woulda got some then, but had already tapped out my budget for the weekend. (The Don & Bunk shirts are awesome. I'll post a pic at some point.)

Don & Bunk played for about an hour before Keneally & Ike joined them onstage for a handful of songs. There were FZ classics, Don & Bunk tunes, Grandmothers tunes. Ike did join Don & Bunk with some Background Vocals on a couple tunes and when he wasn't on stage, Ike was in the middle of the crowd yelling "Bunky!".

I've got a bunch of pics, but dunno when I'll get around to puttin em up here. Eventually, though.

Remembered some other stuff worth mentioning...

MK w/ BFD was just MK, Bellar and Travers. About halfway through the set, MK said they were going to switch things up for a bit. Bellar played keyboards, MK played bass and the guitarist for Gentle Giant, Gary Green, played drums.

I was asking MK if there would never be another Vai Transcriptions album and he said that was true because it demanded too much time. He mentioned that Vai had someone in Japan working on the next one. I also asked if there was any new MK solo stuff on the horizon and he said no. He said that he was enjoying collaborating with people such as Devon Townshend and the near future will include more collaborating with him and others.
I didn't have any luck getting any new info outta Joe Travers. But he did comment that I was very lucky to have been at the 200 Motels Suites as he recognized the shirt I was wearing.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:33 pm 

Very cool. There’s an interview with MK on YouTube somewhere where he talks about the unlikelihood of any more Vai piano reductions from him but mentions the possibility of a Japanese woman picking up the mantle.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:51 pm 

KUIII wrote:
Very cool. There’s an interview with MK on YouTube somewhere where he talks about the unlikelihood of any more Vai piano reductions from him but mentions the possibility of a Japanese woman picking up the mantle.

I'm looking for a link KUv3.0 :wink:

Two Days till Alice Cooper

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2250 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90  Next