Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2250 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:17 pm 

Lucinda Williams in august.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:38 pm 

Hey Fritz, that is probably the 1st time you have advocated something I'm not a fan of. (Although your preference of Prefab Sprout keeps your picks in the top 10 posters around here (of what, 30? Hahaha)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:11 pm 

^^^^^ High praise indeed! :lol: ^^^^^

Counting down to July 28th for

Genesis Revisited in the hell hole that is Auckland

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:24 am 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
Hey Fritz, that is probably the 1st time you have advocated something I'm not a fan of. (Although your preference of Prefab Sprout keeps your picks in the top 10 posters around here (of what, 30? Hahaha)

I'm not very familiar with Mrs. Williams, only got one album. But I think it could be a nice and relaxed evening.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:47 pm 

Just picked up my ticket for Blue Oyster Cult 45th Anniverary show.

Venue - The Hanger @ The OC Fair July 16th. 14th row.

It seems that Kasim Sulton has a full plate with Todd Rundgren shows for the rest of the year. That means that Danny Miranda is back in BOC on bass guitar thru November.

The band is playing a lot of songs from their first album(1972).

Stone Free Fest in London - June 17th 2017

01 Transmaniacon MC
02 I'm on the Lamb But I Ain't No Sheep
03 Last Days Of May
04 Stairway to the Stars
05 Before The Kiss
06 Screams
07 She's As Beautiful As A Foot
08 Cities On Flame
09 Workshop of the Telescopes
10 Redeemed
11 Burnin' For You
12 Buck's Boogie
13 Godzilla
14 (Don't Fear) The Reaper
15 Tattoo Vampire
16 Hot Rails To Hell

Songs 1 - 10! That's the entire first album!
First album was also played in Rhode Island on the 8th.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:39 am 

Got a ticket to see the Michael Schenker Fest next March in San Jose. Probably just save my shekels for Schenker until then.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:46 am 

^Oh no. Graham Bonnet's gonna be on the tour. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:21 am 

coevad wrote:
^Oh no. Graham Bonnet's gonna be on the tour. :mrgreen:

I like Graham! Assault Attack is my favorite MSG album plus I like the Alcatrazz albums. He's getting up there though. He's got to be in his 70's. Michael is a pup by comparison.

Just checked. Graham turns 70 in December. Michael is 62.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:24 am 

Saw DZ at City Winery in Chicago a couple days ago. It was sorta an Entertainment Tonight interview... what is your favorite song?... tell us about the famous people you met...
It was also a bit of a guitar lesson for various things.
I thought it would be more music, but at least he didn't spend the whole time bitching about his siblings, just some of the time.
He mentioned a letter FZ sent to DZ's school about a science project that resulted in FZ taking DZ out of the school. I think DZ described it as "scathing". Maybe we'll see it some day.

Tonight is Cracker at Roscoe Village Burger Fest in Chicago.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:43 am 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
Saw DZ at City Winery in Chicago a couple days ago. It was sorta an Entertainment Tonight interview... what is your favorite song?... tell us about the famous people you met...
It was also a bit of a guitar lesson for various things.
I thought it would be more music, but at least he didn't spend the whole time bitching about his siblings, just some of the time.

I saw the one in Nashville Saturday and it was very similar to your description. The thing was billed as "Storytelling with guitar accompaniment", but there was essentially zero guitar accompaniment. I wasn't really expecting a guitar clinic thing, but thought there would be some playing of something. He didn't even touch it until almost an hour in. I was worried going in it was going to be all about the family feud shit, but thankfully he didn't dwell on it. His wife also sat up there with him and read the questions.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:30 pm 

Pulled the trigger on Mike Keneally in Napa on August 24 and Yestival (Yes, Todd, ELP Legacy) in Reno on August 31st.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:30 am 

Saw Elvis Costello last night. Good show! I'd never seen him live before. The Imposters and 2 background singers. Elvis did some solo guitar/vox w/ just the bg singers as well as just EC on piano/vox w/ bg singers. Cool to hear some variety. Steve Nieve sure likes the big keyboard statements and playing around with chord-voicing.
As for EC's guitar sound, it worked well when there were no drums/keyboards. Noticeable fx and kinda warmish. But when the rest of the band played, it got drowned out.
It was at the Riverside Theater in Milwaukee. I've hated that venue for a long time cuz the seats are so small and close-together. But, I gave em another chance since the seats were on an aisle, dead center, about 20 rows in. Great view, but the sound overall was muddy. If it was muddy in those seats, the rest of the venue must've been at least somewhat worse.
I suppose some of the lack of focus could be the band. They were more loose than I would've expected. Pete Thomas did not impress on drums, though he wasn't terrible, just ok, and sometimes barely that.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:31 pm 

KUIII wrote:
Pulled the trigger on Mike Keneally in Napa on August 24 and Yestival (Yes, Todd, ELP Legacy) in Reno on August 31st.

YES with ARW is playing in Stockton on August 26th. I'm considering prolonging my road trip to go to Stockton from Napa after the Keneally show (only 90 minutes away) to have the opportunity to see both current touring versions of YES in the same week. I'd just have to find something to do and somewhere to stay on the Friday night in between.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:12 pm 

KUIII wrote:
KUIII wrote:

YES with ARW is playing in Stockton on August 26th. I'm considering prolonging my road trip to go to Stockton from Napa after the Keneally show (only 90 minutes away) to have the opportunity to see both current touring versions of YES in the same week. I'd just have to find something to do and somewhere to stay on the Friday night in between.

All night movie.....park up at Yosemite Lake.....ahhhhh sunrise at the lake 8)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:16 pm 

I went to the tour opener of Jimmy Herring and the Invisible Whip last night. They're a jam/fusion type band and Jimmy can shred up the guitar with the best of them but doesn't over do it. It sounded great too and the band is tight with Jeff Sipe on drums, Matt Slocum on B3 organ, Kevin Scott on bass and Jason Crosby on Fender Rhodes.

Jimmy is the guitarist for Widespread Panic. I'm a big fan of most jam bands but never really took to Panic. This show is nothing like Panic's music. The tour just started, and I highly recommend it if it comes your way.

Here's a vid of the opener.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5W5eHA-biM

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:02 pm 

KUIII wrote:
KUIII wrote:

Stay at Plook Palace... :idea:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:34 pm 

Decided not to do the Stockton/YES thing. A one-niter is about all I (and my bank account) can take.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:54 am 

KUIII wrote:

Noticed YES added the disclaimer "Yes only - no support " for Reno on their website. Not what I signed up for but I'm still going and will enjoy it for what it is.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:25 pm 

Last minute decision to see Foxygen tonight at Turner Hall in Milwaukee. 1st time seeing em. Was gonna see em in Spring but was sick so no go. I'll be groggy in the morning!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:39 am 

Foxygen was good, very good, not great. They played most of my favs, but Turner Hall doesn't have the best sound. Drums, Bass, Keys (Guitar), Guitar, Vox and a 3-Piece Horn Section that varied which Horn or Percussion they played.
At one point the singer addressed the crowd near the stage and told 2 people to go back by the merch table because other people are more deserving to be close. It took a while, but they left. It was kinda pissy "Its my show and if I say to leave you have to leave!"

Tonight - Psychic Temple in a small club. I've had the album below for about a year, pretty good stuff.

Maybe tonight I'll pick up the new one:

^^^ Max Bennett on this album!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:45 pm 

I will probably go see Martin Barre September 8th in Sacramento.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:00 am 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
^^^^^ High praise indeed! :lol: ^^^^^

Counting down to July 28th for

Genesis Revisited in the hell hole that is Auckland

Well, look who got Supper's Ready!

What did you think of Nad?

also - you've got a DZ show coming your way next year!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:26 pm 

On my way to see Keneally.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:55 pm 

Entered through back entrance (no jokes, please). First people I saw on outside patio were Vaultmeister Joe seated and Mike walking towards me. Shook hands with Mike and thanked him for coming (again, please no jokes). Mike seemed like he was in a good mood.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:56 pm 

Travis Larson Band opened (as they did in 2011). Cool, short set of Satriani/Rush style power trio instrumentals. BFD up next.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2250 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90  Next