Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 5:06 am 

[quote author=garyi link=board=wishList;num=1030600324;start=15#23 date=04/26/03 at 14:08:08]I think you have to be very very hardcore to like this album (read obsessed)<br><br>It is indeed a resonably sad story but as an album of work, this is utter pants.<br><br>you know it, I know it.<br><br>I sold mine, for quite a lot actually. They appear on ebay quite often.[/quote]<br><br>Jeez, lighten up a little or you may stroke out!

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 3:32 pm 

so, is there any good music on it?<br><br>-----------<br>and why the hell is this thread in the wish-list section?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:15 pm 

clik me for trailer

Quote:

Last edited by slime.oofytv.set on Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 4:59 am 
Banned

[quote author=slime.oofytv.set link=board=wishList;num=1030600324;start=15#28 date=11/23/04 at 22:15:52] [table][tr][td]Image<br>[center][sup][font=arial black]clik me for trailer [/font][/sup]Image[/center][/td][tr][td]<br>[/td][/tr][/table]<br><br>[/quote]<br><br><br>HOLY MOTHER FUCKING SHIT!!!!<br>This is going to be brilliant!!! I love Larry!!<br>

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:10 am 

[quote author=slime.oofytv.set link=board=wishList;num=1030600324;start=15#28 date=11/23/04 at 22:15:52] [table][tr][td]Image<br><br>[/td][/tr][/table]<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>the [s]teaser[/s],..err trailer has whetted mine appetite<br>WE WANT LARRY!<br>WE WANT LARRY!<br>

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:52 pm 

[quote author=slime.oofytv.set link=board=wishList;num=1030600324;start=15#28 date=11/23/04 at 22:15:52] [table][tr][td]Image<br>[center][sup][font=arial black]clik me for trailer [/font][/sup]Image[/center][/td][tr][td]<br>[/td][/tr][/table]<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>Looks GREAT!   Now let's hope it really comes out!<br><br>I forwarded this to a friend in New Zealand (Chris Knox) and he went nuts for it too! He said The CLEAN were fiends for "An Evening With..."!  Cool shit ,huh? ;D<br>

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:17 pm 

[quote author=penguini link=board=wishList;num=1030600324;start=30#33 date=12/08/04 at 14:52:07]<br>I forwarded this to a friend in New Zealand (Chris Knox)<br>[/quote]<br><br>You're mates with Chris Knox? How cool. That guy's brilliant!!! The Tall Dwarves' back catalogue, getting the Mushroom/Flying Nun re-release in 1994, was one of the things that got me through FZ's passing!

--

http://standanddeliver.blogs.com
http://www.radiohaha.com.au

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:12 pm 

[quote author=secretnigel link=board=wishList;num=1030600324;start=30#34 date=12/08/04 at 19:17:36]<br><br>You're mates with Chris Knox? How cool. That guy's brilliant!!! The Tall Dwarves' back catalogue, getting the Mushroom/Flying Nun re-release in 1994, was one of the things that got me through FZ's passing![/quote]<br><br>I got to know him after I was one of the "International Tall Dawrfs" on the LP STUMPY.  Then I met him very briefly after that on two of his tours through the USA(I ,luckily,spent more time around him on the second tour). <br><br>He inspired me to make some music myself before all that happened ,...when I realized that "tape loops" were used in his music and I started to experiment in that direction(ala Terry Riley)...which led to my contribution to "Stumpy"(on "Pull The Thread and Unravell Me").<br><br>He's quite mad...but all the better for it too! Naw,he's a great guy,really.  Plus a New Zealand "national treasure",or at least he should be...after helping start a good part of the best underground music from there.<br><br>I was really thrilled to meet him!  He's a real hero to me. It's great when a personal "hero" is really a nice guy too!<br><br><br><br>

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:43 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:47 am 

I have An Evening with Wild Man Fischer and the only tune I could really sit thru is Circle...I remember he made an appearance on Laugh In - the second season...<br>Artie Tripp was his drummer.  I think they were hopingfor another Tiny Tim...didn't work out that way.<br><br> Best release on Straight Label is Jeff Simmon's Lucille Has Messed My Mind Up...Has Lucille (a more rocking version - FZon guitar), Raye (FZ on guitar) and Wonderful Wino.<br><br> Have both on vinyl and CDR.  I hope the Simmons lp is rereleased.  <br><br> I also like the GTO's but that was already rereleased.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:21 am 

I got this man singing on The double album 'Our man in Nirvana' from Beat the Boots II.  <br><br>Some late beatnick-poet was he...???

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:48 am 

[center]Derailroaded[/center]<br><br>World Premiere : Info here<br><br>Interview:'Derailroaded' Filmmakers Josh Rubin & Jeremy Lubin here<br><br>Photo:Here

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 4:55 pm 

On April 23, 1975, FZ did a lecture at Gifford Auditorium in Syracuse with The Captain and George Duke in tow to an audience of college students. One of them asked FZ, "Whatever became of Wild Man Fischer?"<br><br>FZ: "He's probably walking the streets in LA with copies of his album under his arm, punching people".

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 9:20 pm 

stride wrote:
Derailroaded[/center]World Premiere : Info here

Interview:'Derailroaded' Filmmakers Josh Rubin & Jeremy Lubin here

Photo:Here

this tuesday at the roxie, san fran

Last edited by slime.oofytv.set on Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 5:58 pm 

saw the world premier of this film last night at the roxie, instant cult classic, fucking great film<br><br>plenty of holy shit, never seen that clip before moments plus a voyeurs-eye view of the larry himself, starting with some cheesy american home movies when he was a wee wild lad, plenty of shots of mom...larry dialog was spliced into the voice track or he's singing the narrative<br><br>...cut to some classic footage at the whiskey-a-gogo, quick shots of cap'n b. playing sax thru a trout mask, wesely willis jammin, tiny tim strummin...accurately comparing them to wild man as far as purity if musical thought; the devo guy says he has the purest musical mind, absolutely uncontrived<br><br>also: larry's appearance on laugh-in & his interaction with ruth buzzi; the infamous spokane closet story; a bizzare sequence with the cardboard mom<br><br>zappa content:  dr demento show clips with a zappa muppet doll, and his interview is very cool...4 or 5 shots of zappa speaking about larry, one very cool scene with the 2 of them together; won't say anymore, but zappa's dynamic during the clip was not expected...3 or 4 clips of gail doing the same...no zappa music at all, no excentrifugal forz, or the doors<br><br>plenty of continuity added by the record company guys who he claimed fucked him over plus the interview shots with his older brother<br><br>best of all, you come away with a much better understanding of larry & his life, he really opens up at times, sad ending etc....<br><br>it was sold out & they had to turn a few away; this better come out on dvd<br>[font=arial black]<br>don't miss this one[/font]

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 5:44 am 

Sounds awesome!<br><br>I dont know too much about larry, but does he have a song with lyrics like "I'm a monster from space" or something like that?  I heard a snippet of this song (just that one line) on the radio today and I thought it sounded a lot like Larry.  It seemed to kinda follow the same melody as "I'm the meanie" off of "Our Man In Nirvana".

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 9:20 pm 

I have a few Larry things, some stuff I downloaded, "My Name is Larry", "Monkeys VS. Donkies", and "I'm a Christmas Tree." I think "Christmas Tree" is especially great, "Old Santa Clause, He breaks lots of laws and he travels around without a valid.... passport!" <br> <br>And just last Friday I got a Warner records sampler with "The Taster" on it. I thought it was pretty catchy, this could have been a big late 60s psychadellic novelty hit with all the lines about nurses slipping people drugs and sex innuendo. <br> <br>I defenitley want to see the documentary, it better come out on DVD or make it to one of the art house cinemas here in Ottawa. I saw the actual "Evening with Wildman Fischer" double album at used store but they wanted 40 dollars. I think this is more something I'd want to get through a trade. For now I'm happy with the excerpt on my Warner sampler.  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:02 am 

[quote author=Tri-Axium link=board=wishList;num=1030600324;start=45#47 date=10/23/05 at 11:19:05]I saw the Wild Man Fischer documentary "Derailroaded" a couple of weeks ago here in Portland, Or., and it was quite good. In the movie there were some old interviews with Frank (which had been circulating on bootleg videos, as I had seen them before) as well as new interviews with Gail Zappa. I think it would be a very good thing to rerelease "An Evening With. . . ," but I'm not sure if it will ever happen. But who knows? Since Gail agreed to be interviewed for the documentary, maybe there is a chance that it could be rereleased. She might be warming to the idea. <br><br>I received an email from one of the guys who made the documentary (Joshua Rubin), and he said "Derailroaded" will be available on DVD sometime next year. <br><br>I'm hoping Gail gets it together and can work on a rerelease of "An Evening With . . . ." It is more significant than she realizes. <br><br><br><br>[/quote]<br>Dam I missed it, I live very close to Portland and would have loved to see it. I own all his lp's He's one crazy mofo