Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: New article with Gail
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:43 pm 

I got this news flash off of the internet.<br><br>ZAPPA EXPLOSION: Expect to see burnishing of the legacy of one-of-a-kind experimental music maker Frank Zappa in coming months. "The doors of the vault get to open in October," declares his widow, Gail, who explains that a 10-year hold was placed on heretofore unreleased Zappa recordings under a distribution deal with Rykodisc, "so they could recoup their investment." Now the hold is nearly over.<br><br>Already, "Joe's Corsage," a collection of previously unreleased Zappa live performance pieces, is being made available via Zappa.com. Gail tells us that it's the first in a series of releases geared to her late husband's most ardent fans - "the true fetishists" - and plans call for six releases in the series per year. The Zappa "Vaultmeister," Joe Travers, "is the only one who really knows what all is in there," she comments. And Travers is putting together the "Joe's Corsage" series at his own discretion.<br><br>Gail says many requests for recordings of various Frank Zappa concerts and other appearances come in via the Internet, "But I don't answer all those questions because we have such a problem with bootleggers. You mention a concert, and suddenly there are terrible examples of it showing up on eBay."<br><br>There's more Zappa coming our way, with new releases of "all the films Frank made on DVD," she says, adding that son Dweezil was instrumental in getting Frank's "Baby Snakes" movie released on DVD last year. "Plus the albums - we'll start releasing those. There is a documentary being made right now that will be ready in the spring about Frank as a composer. And one of these days, I'll do a book."

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 5:18 pm 

Cool! I'm especially interested in "a documentary being made right now that will be ready in the spring about Frank as a composer."

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 1:17 am 

[quote author=Ronnys Noomies link=board=wishList;num=1090464224;start=0#2 date=07/21/04 at 20:44:28]I'd love to read Gail's book![/quote]<br><br>Yep, I'd like to see her version of events.  The documentary would be cool.  And the movies.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:11 am 

Alright! All of the above items sound great! I was just thinking whether I should look for VHS copies of certain FZ movies or wait for the DVD---now I guess my question has been answered. When I read she's seriously thinking about writing a book, I about did a little dance! ;D That would be something I'd buy in a heartbeat--especially since she'd most likely go into their meeting and romance that lasted more than 25 years :) Glory Hallistoopid!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 12:42 pm 

Great! There is a lot of old 'new music' to look forward to, I hope.<br>I wonder if the deal with RYKO also stated, that she couldn't tell about it? <br>There sure has been a lot of silence.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 3:28 am 

Great article! Just hope it all actually happens