Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Dream line up from hell.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 9:58 am 

I reckon THE Zappa band you can't improve upon would have to be Napolian, George, Ruth.. ..the Roxy line up.  But how about this selection of players?  Can you think of anyone I've missed who was never in the Zappa band but should have been?<br><br>Drums - Bill Bruford<br>Drums - Dave Weckl<br>Drums - Dennis Chambers<br>Guitar - Robert Fripp<br>Guitar - Allan Holdsworth<br>Guitar - Todd Rundgren<br>Bass - Jaco Pastorius<br>Bass - Stu Hamm<br>Bass - Victor Wooten<br><br>Wouldn't it be great if at some point in the future someone from the kitchen could put together some kind of interactive DVD that would allow users to jam together - possibly using some additional software - various players isolated tracks from existing tunes to allow players who where never in the group at the same time to play together to see what it might have been like?  Imagine if Vai and Bozzio where in the Mothers with Adrian Belew and Dweezil!<br><br>Just a bit of fun, interested to hear other ideas.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 11:29 am 

i LOVE THIS KIND OF TOPIC!!!<br><br>drums - Max Roach<br>trumpet - Miles Davis<br>percussion - Trilok Gurtu<br>vocals - Mike Patton<br>saxophone - John Zorn<br><br>ciao

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 12:17 pm 

Trilok Gurtu is astounding.  You're absolutly right.  Also, I forgot to mention Tony Levin on bass and Joni Mitchell on keyboards - wacky huh?!<br><br>Thanks, anyone else?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 10:19 pm 

[quote author=thejimmyjob link=board=wishList;num=1074455933;start=0#2 date=01/18/04 at 14:17:34]Trilok Gurtu is astounding.  You're absolutly right.  Also, I forgot to mention Tony Levin on bass and Joni Mitchell on keyboards - wacky huh?!<br><br>Thanks, anyone else?[/quote]<br><br>Absolutely YES for Tony Levin!<br>Maybe on keyboards would be better Keith Emerson<br><br>ciao

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 2:29 pm 

Tonny Williams - Drums<br><br>Frank Zappa - Guitar<br><br>Egberto Gismonti - Keyboards<br><br><br>

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:19 am 

[quote author=Mr_Green_Genes link=board=wishList;num=1074455933;start=0#4 date=01/19/04 at 16:29:13]<br>Egberto Gismonti - Keyboards<br><br><br>[/quote]<br><br>Incredible!!! I discovered Gismonti a week ago...thanks to monstermovie...and here he is! He is absolutely great, "Alma" is my first Gismonti's CD...<br><br>ciao

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:20 am 

[quote author=Mr_Green_Genes link=board=wishList;num=1074455933;start=0#4 date=01/19/04 at 16:29:13]Tonny Williams - Drums<br><br><br>[/quote]<br><br><br>...and absolutely YES for Tony Williams...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 5:12 am 

<br>  kenneth shalk - drums<br>  les claypool - bass<br>  herbie hancock - keys/synth<br>  angelo moore - saxes and vocals<br>  gene ween - vocals<br>  dean ween - guitar<br>  buckethead - stunt guitar and nunchuks<br>  bill hicks - narration<br>  zappa - conducting<br>  <br>  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 2:00 pm 

Spinal Tap + Blues Brothers horns + Zappa...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 3:57 pm 

[quote author=MIZZU link=board=wishList;num=1074455933;start=0#5 date=01/20/04 at 02:19:25]<br><br>Incredible!!! I discovered Gismonti a week ago...thanks to monstermovie...and here he is! He is absolutely great, "Alma" is my first Gismonti's CD...<br><br>ciao[/quote]<br><br>Egberto Gismonti is one of the most exeptional monstrous Brazilian musicians... there are old lps of him that are beng reissued for the first time on cd (finally!) by emi. <br>Try:<br><br> Coracões Futuristas<br><br> Solo<br><br> Dança das Cabeças<br><br>or any of his albums.  I think every FZ guitar Freak should listen the EG 10-string acoustic guitar playing!<br>I wonder is Frank got to know any of EG's work

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:56 am 

i vote for a line up like so: <br><br>1. vocals: eddie cantor, ozzy osbourne<br>2. guitar: frank z. and slash<br>3. bass: whoever plays bass at the mentors, dunno<br>4. and george michael on the drums<br><br>wowie zowie!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 7:47 am 

FZ-guitar, vox, audience participation and secret word ;D<br><br>Dave Lombardo-drums and devil on Titties N' Beer (cuz he's in Slayer!)<br><br>John Myung-bass<br>Jordan Rudess-keyboards (Both Dream Theater guys)<br><br>Ruth Underwood-percussion<br><br>Napoleon Murphy Brock-sax, vox<br>Ike Willis-guitar, vox<br><br>Apocalyptica-string section<br>Johnny Lang-guitar, vox (not a huge fan, but he has a great voice for blues;he'd do Illinois Enema Bandit)<br><br>Eminem-guest vox on Dumb All Over<br>Mike Patton-inhuman vocal cacophony (tell me Frank wouldn't have loved to work with this guy! :D)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 7:50 am 

[quote author=Confinement_Loaf link=board=wishList;num=1074455933;start=0#7 date=01/21/04 at 07:12:48]<br>  <br>  bill hicks - narration<br> <br>  <br>  [/quote]<br> ;D ;D ;D<br>GOOD CALL! Oh, what might have been... :'(

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 4:14 pm 

http://www.sacredcow.com/allnew/index_c ... video_bill<br><br>You can watch a bunch of Bill Hicks streaming videos at the above link by the way.  The one's further down the page are the best!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 10:08 am 

could you even imagine what might have been if Vic Wooten could have found his way into a Zappa band?!?!?!?!?!?!?!  fuck!  And why was I 7 years old when his last band hit the world!  I would have never passed audition!!!!!   I was born to play Zappa music!  Goddamn!  now I'll just have to go and do it all myself!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 3:05 pm 

[quote author=Confinement_Loaf link=board=wishList;num=1074455933;start=0#7 date=01/21/04 at 07:12:48]<br>  kenneth shalk - drums<br>  les claypool - bass<br>  herbie hancock - keys/synth<br>  angelo moore - saxes and vocals<br>  gene ween - vocals<br>  dean ween - guitar<br>  buckethead - stunt guitar and nunchuks<br>  bill hicks - narration<br>  zappa - conducting<br>  <br>  [/quote]<br><br><br>I'd like to add Rosie Gaines from the New Power Generation to my dream vocalist list.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 6:07 am 

Guitars<br>FZ<br>Larry Wallis<br>Trey Spruance<br>Dean Ween<br>Steve Vai<br>John McLaughlin<br><br>Bass<br>Trevor Dunn<br>Les Claypool<br>John Paul Jones<br><br>Percussion<br>Dave Lombardo<br>Cyro Baptista<br>Joey Baron<br><br>Vocals<br>FZ<br>Mike Patton<br>Gene Ween<br><br>Brass Section<br>John Zorn<br>Fela Kuti<br>Miles Davis<br>Danny Heifetz<br><br>Keyboards<br>Wayne Horvitz<br>Fela Kuti<br>Roddy Bottum<br>John Paul Jones

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:30 pm 

[center] Daisy's Dream Lineup<br>Zappa band members first and other faves.<br><br><br>Guitar<br>Mike Keneally<br>Steve Morse<br>John McLaughlin<br><br>Bass<br>Scott Thunes<br>Flea<br><br>Drums<br>Terry Bozzio<br>Neil Peart<br><br>Percussion<br>Ruth Underwood<br>Zakir Hussain and V. Selvaganesh (Remember Shakti)<br><br>Keys<br>George Duke<br>T. Lavitz<br><br>Horns<br>Tower of Power<br><br>Vocals<br>Napoleon Murphy Brock<br>Ike Willis<br>Bobby Martin<br><br>Other Vocals and Stage Antics<br>Jack Black<br><br> 8)<br>[/center]<br><br><br><br>

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:57 am 

[center][quote author=flammaster link=board=wishList;num=1074455933;start=15#19 date=03/24/04 at 18:33:48]You like Jack Black don't you daisy?   ;)<br><br>He's such a goober you gotta love him.<br><br>but me personally I'll take Roy Estrada with his gas mask  AND Jack Black.[/quote]<br><br>yes, i do like Jack Black but especially Tenacious D. for those of you who haven't listened to their one and only cd, give it a spin! if you are in the mood to laugh, start with Kielbasa Sausage move to Fuck Her Gently, then hit Double Team. The lyrics are hilarious and it is backed up with some decent rock and roll grooves....Dave Grohl is their drummer.<br> 8)[/center]<br><br>

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 1:26 am 

[quote author=Peaches En Regalia link=board=wishList;num=1074455933;start=15#23 date=03/30/04 at 07:38:56]I suck out loud, i can squeak without trying![/quote]Yeah, we know.<br>