Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 4:13 am 

Have you heard him doing Sinatra on 'Inca Roads'. This is something to be heard! <br>I have Sal's CD on GRP. High-quality but quite formulaic hard-bop. Sounds very Miles-like.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 7:17 am 

If you listen carefully to both the Australian Sydney shows of 1973 you can hear Sal Marquez and Ian Underwood play solo's . Ian played some clarinet solo's on that shows. Ricky Lancelotti was part of that line up too........

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 7:53 am 

Hopefully we'll see a complete '73 show on Vaulternative Records one day...

--------------------------

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 7:25 am 

A school music teacher told me about hanging out with Sal Marquez in Sydney during the ’73 tour - Sal told him that no matter where the band was or what they were doing, Zappa would name a song and a bar number, and Sal (or whoever was being quizzed at the time) would have to be able to sing their part at that point of the piece. They were a mighty tight band!

--

http://standanddeliver.blogs.com
http://www.radiohaha.com.au

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 1:31 pm 

Mattie_Told_Hattie: in 1973 - and I know this, as I was in a band with a Minimoog and an ARP 2600 (I was our little band's arranger), and was scouring the ends of the (known) world at that time for the elusive polyphonic synthesizer - there was none being manufactured then. The first (someone correct me if this is wrong) I believe was the Polymoog, not to be for another five yrs. or so. NB: by 'polyphonic' I am not including the two-voice synthesizers, made initially, I think, by Arp - an expansion of the Arp Odyssey - which were available earlier than - EG: the Polymoog. At any rate - in 1973, no.  I donno WHAT Ian was using, if he was covering for a missing horn;  I don't think even FZ had a polyphonic synth. until about 1980.<br>[I gather this from the recorded evidence.]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 1:59 pm 

Here's a picture of Ian playing synth on the Stockholm gig in '73. I know this isn't exactly a clear picture, but it was the best I could snap from the video, because you hardly see or hear him play it during the gig, he mostly played horns.<br><br>Image<br><br>Looks a little bit like an ARP 2600 to me, although it's hard to tell: it could also be a completely different model.<br><br>BTW: I'd love an official release of a '73 concert. Definitely one of my favorite Mothers-line ups.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 5:37 am 

'73 band releases definitely top my wish list too!<br><br>Hey, on the synth issue:  You guys are talking about the Moog and ARP2600 from the early '70s... was the ARP the one that Pete Townshend used on Baba O'Riley?  That was recorded around 1971 right?  Somehow I thought that was a polyphonic synth.  Maybe it's just a mono deal, multitracked.<br><br>The Picantique bootleg ('72 or '73, not sure) has some super strange synth action by the way... it's probably my favorite Beat The Boots cd.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 5:30 am 

Hiya Brainfang,<br><br>I did some research, and Pete Townshend didn't even use a synth on Baba O'Riley. It really surprised me too, but what you're hearing there is an old Lowrey home organ, and those are indeed polyphonic keyboards. He did use an ARP 2500 (the huge modular type that looks like an old telephone switching board, they also used it to summon the alien spaceship in 'Close Encounters of the Third Kind') on some other Who-tracks. Check this page out: <br><br>http://www.thewho.net/whotabs/equip-baba.htm

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 8:17 am 

<br>[quote author=white_person link=board=wishList&num=1030485668&start=15#19 date=10/17/02 at 10:23:24]<br><br><br>Amazing. Nice investigative research, Studebaker!<br>[/quote]<br><br>Yes, thank you Studebaker!  You still carrying your multi-purpose briefcase?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 5:15 pm 

Take my word! The show you are all looking for is the May 9th 1973 (Mothers day) performance at the capitol theatre in passaic New Jersey...Both Ian and Sal are included..Ponty too.During Yellow snow zappa jokes about sals endorcment of Spalding...."Sal Marqes....for spalding"...." won't someone help sal out as he beats it with a snoshoe"....the show I kid you not was three hours plus about 45 more minutes...Frank comes back out and says " I,ve just been told we can play as late as we want"....they were premeiring a new stereo p.a. system and Frank used no effects on his guitar exept for a little flanging....So all freaks I order you to join me in a mass appeal to the ZFT...Stand tall! Demand the best! Demand that show! If you must, follow God Hilliard to the corners of the earth and hopefully you will find it!...Go now!....Do it do it!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 1:22 pm 

i heard that a 73 show never came out because jean luc ponty insisted on royalties (French dork). Frank was like, sorry dude, you are a hired musician and thats it! Thank god he left because then we got Naploean.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 11:10 pm 

There is some great footage of the Mothers with Sal Marquez rehearsing RDNZL on Monday Conference, an Australian talkshow july 2 1973 interviewing Zappa for about 60 minutes. The rehearsal is from Melbourne june 29 1973.<br><br>MONDAY CONFERENCE JULY 2 1973, AUSTRALIAN TV.<br><br>Image<br>

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 1:49 pm 

[quote author=weirdomusic link=board=wishList;num=1030485668;start=0#4 date=08/28/02 at 10:53:19]Hopefully we'll see a complete '73 show on Vaulternative Records one day...[/quote]<br><br><br>Here's to hoping its the Lancelotti show...I would kill to hear a tape of that...and to answer someone else's question there is no tape of that show.  So we gotta rely on good ol' Vaultmaster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 10:58 pm 

Ricky Lancelotti pictures dug up by Cal Schenkel. Ricky died april 7 1980   :'(<br><br>Image<br><br>Image