Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 5:45 pm 

I'd like to see the Capitol 8-track orchestral Lumpy Gravy on CD. That's a very rare FZ recording.<br><br>A link to know everything about it:<br><br>http://w1.858.telia.com/~u85821131/vinylvscds/lumpy_gravy.html

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 1:02 am 

[quote author=CheepnisAroma link=board=wishList;num=1062042304;start=0#0 date=08/27/03 at 20:45:04]I'd like to see the Capitol 8-track orchestral Lumpy Gravy on CD. That's a very rare FZ recording.<br><br>A link to know everything about it:<br><br>http://w1.858.telia.com/~u85821131/vinylvscds/lumpy_gravy.html[/quote]<br>MAAAN!<br><br>     That's one great friggin' link!  THANKS!<br>         By the way,let's all start calling this Mystery Cartridge of tape a "4-TRACK tape",'cause it IS a 4-TRACK tape...and that explains whay it's soooo rare,too! <br><br>      4-Track was a format that lost out to 8-Track.It was similar,but the tapes had no pinch roller wheel(like the Radio Station "cart" systems),there was a hole in the back of the thing for the player's "pinch roller" to pop thru and "pinch" the tape to the player's capstan,pulling the tape.   Well,as far as I know,there was a big format war between the two(8-TR and 4-TR)...so,I'd bet this was going to be an "EXCLUSIVE FIRST" to have a "hip" underground artist's new experiment on 4-Track,and not 8-Track tape(TAKE THAT YOU 8-TRACKERS!),but it backfired!  When MGM withdrew it because of "the contract"!  WOW!<br><br>       Now,... no-one knows how long the thing was? (times of songs)   Where did the picture on the site come from? Who has the 4-Track in the picture? Do they know they could play it in a radio station that has a "cart system"?(They DO NOW!)   HOW CAN I GET A COPY ?    Eeeegads!    I am in a frenzy NOW!<br><br>      This title just drives me WILD!<br><br>               I've heard things that are "supposed" to be this tape,...but are they?<br><br>          This does need to be officially released.'Specially since I feel like I'll explode if I don't get to hear it!  HA! :o

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 1:07 am 

I'm BAAACK!<br><br>    Oh yes,by the photo on the link(of the 4-Track),the owner would have to fix the foam pressure pads behind the tape so that the thing would play properly.The "pressure pads" are the things that press the tape to the heads of the player...I see they are missing(or squashed flat )in the photo of the see-tru cartridge. (I am a fiend,huh?)<br><br>      I'll shut-up now,and go and dream of hearing this work! :'(

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 1:47 am 

penguini, I hope you won't explode when you read this  :-/<br>I'll have it on CD-R soon. A friend mine has it on his iPod. There's something I'd like to know: how can it be 'transfered' to MP3? I can't get it  ???

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 3:55 am 

I would love to hear this! I've only heard excerpts of it<br>on that "Raw Meat" video.<br> At one time. I had an "8-Track" of Lumpy Gravy.<br>It was the commercially released version though<br>with the voices underneith the piano.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 7:43 pm 

[quote author=CheepnisAroma link=board=wishList;num=1062042304;start=0#3 date=08/28/03 at 04:47:25]penguini, I hope you won't explode when you read this  :-/<br>I'll have it on CD-R soon. A friend mine has it on his iPod. There's something I'd like to know: how can it be 'transfered' to MP3? I can't get it  ???[/quote]<br>I don't know how to transfer to MP3,but I'd love to hear this thing no matter how short it is!<br>Are you sure it's the "real deal",and not some demo...not the intended release?   I guess you will never know,but I'd like to hear THEE REAL DEAL! I've got some pieces of it.But I am still not sure where even these came from(demo,or The 4-Track)....   I AM OBSESSED WITH IT!  Eeeek!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 3:33 am 

[quote author=penguini link=board=wishList;num=1062042304;start=0#6 date=08/29/03 at 22:43:31]<br>I don't know how to transfer to MP3,but I'd love to hear this thing no matter how short it is!<br>Are you sure it's the "real deal",and not some demo...not the intended release?   I guess you will never know,but I'd like to hear THEE REAL DEAL! I've got some pieces of it.But I am still not sure where even these came from(demo,or The 4-Track)....   I AM OBSESSED WITH IT!  Eeeek![/quote]<br> What's the original file format? I can convert wavs,<br>& mp3s to wma files. Not sure if I can do it  the other<br>way around though.  :P

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 3:24 pm 

[quote author=jimmie d link=board=wishList;num=1062042304;start=0#4 date=08/28/03 at 05:02:11]<br>[center]<br>I downloaded this back in the good old days of Napster.<br><br>Lumpy Gravy Part 1: 11 minutes 26 seconds<br>Lumpy Gravy Part 2: 11 minutes 31 seconds<br><br> 8)[/center][/quote]<br><br>I wish I knew and liked Frank's music three years ago, I would have gotten it on Napster then.<br><br>Now those MP3s are rarer than ever.<br>Although I just found Part 1 on my Gnutella client...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 8:32 am 

[center]Here's some more drool fuel - excerpts from the doomed Capitol Records 'Lumpy Gravy' vinyl LP gatefold sleeve...<br><br>Image<br>Image<br><br><br>...and a link to an earlier thread on this topic:<br>http://www.zappa.com/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=wishList;action=display;num=1029833677;start=2[/center]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 4:16 am 

I would love that in CD!!! <br><br>one of my first Zappa albums I got was the WOIIFT/Lumpy gravy<br><br>The orchestral parts of Lumpy gravy are amongst the most beautful zappa songs (Oh No, etc).<br><br>When I first heard those complete continued tracks I was REALLY happy and delighted.<br><br>A double cd set of both versions the continued and fragmented Lumpy Gravy would be surely be a fetish album<br><br>ARF

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 5:31 am 

Did Frank really write that story in the gatefold? Very creepy. Why did'nt he do more writing of this nature? He was quite good at it--woulda sold a few books......

Post subject: re: electric gravy
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 2:12 pm 

anyone heard or heard of electric gravy ¿