Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 2:59 am 

Me too!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 4:09 am 

I'm not sure if it's still available or not, but if you guys can find Gail Zappa's most recent interview (someone posted a link to it somewhere on this BB), you'll see that she "PLANS" on doing just that....  100 of them as a matter of fact!  BE WARNED: don't get *TOO* excited just yet... if you're wondering why, refer to complications in FZ:OZ (and many prior releases) for reference.....<br><br> >:(

Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 4:35 am 

One has to remember this interview was conducted in June.  A lot of water has flowed under the bridge since then.  We don't know what the FFT's plans are now.  Oz is here, they have to make the call.  The reaction to their new site should give them some indication of how much enthusiasm there is.  Go for it Gail!  Get it together!<br><br>DebK

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 6:06 am 

We don't know what the FFT's plans are now<br><br>That's ZFT of course.  Damn carpal tunnel!<br><br>DebK

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 6:07 am 

Kinda figured so.....<br>Pssst... you can go back and edit your own messages without having to reply to your own messages....<br><br> ;)

Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 7:10 am 

Okayeee Penguin, I'll remember that........:D<br><br>Thanx<br>DebK

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 3:52 pm 

I would love to see some shows released that weren't documented on YCDTOSA. My first choice would be a Hot Rats band show(even if it's an audience recording), then the Grand Wazoo tour,Spring & Fall '75, Fall '76 w/Lady Bianca, Halloween '78, and Nassau Coliseum '88(last US show, it has awesome Beatles covers/medleys, a non-reggae Stairway, & America the Beautiful). ;)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 2:13 am 

ROTTERDAM 1980 may 24 should have been released!!!! It was recorded by dutch radio and sound much better then FZ/OZ!!!!!! 120 minutes with some very good guitarsolo's and the legendary David Logeman on drums!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 7:45 am 

Let's not forget a Mothers' '67 concet with Billy Mundi, there are virtually no official Billy Mundi, Mothers concerts released! I'm sure there are at least a few highlights you could pack together, what about the Repugnant Pigs: Absolutely Free show?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 8:39 am 

The 72 Waterbury show was hot...The world premere of Montana...the Tee Shirt Rap (from what occurred in New Jersey), Rollo, Ugly Little Dots, Cosmic Debris, very different from most other shows

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 2:05 pm 

<br>[quote author=Some_Kind_of_Chees link=board=wishList&num=1030005455&start=0#12 date=08/29/02 at 10:45:58]<br>Let's not forget a Mothers' '67 concet with Billy Mundi, there are virtually no official Billy Mundi, Mothers concerts released! <br><br>Do you have "Tis The Season To Be Jelly"? I know it's a Beat The Boots one, but the quality is good for '67. It's a great show, love the 50's covers medley ;D, and It Can't Happen Here/King Kong :o is great too. Can't beat it for $10. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 1:11 pm 

I think the FZ:OZ format works just great. Get as much of one entire show but fill in the missing or screwed up spots with a piece from another show of the same time period. The use of a bootleg tape to fill in a valuable spot proved to be a perfect solution. I would like to see a list of great shows that ZFT has determined are good candidates for release that we true fans can vote on via this site. I have a vast collection of concert tapes and I'm telling you there is a phenomenal amount of material that needs to be released.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 8:49 pm 

Location: Wandering aimlessly through the American wasteland...
This should have been done a long time ago.  I think that artists really underestimate what the loyal fans will tolerate in terms of live releases.  The artists IMHO are just too damn picky.  I love the rough spots, false starts, and other various examples of Human Error.  <br><br>That's what playing live is all about, and I don't care what anybody says, nobody's perfect!  I think it's this pickiness that  has prevented stuff from getting released.  You don't have to be a genius to see that ZFT is scared to death about misjudging the market, they way they handled OZ and such.<br><br>I just hope they aren't taking a bath in the stock market like the rest of us.<br><br>ZFT, think about making a "reasonable" profit and K.I.S.S.  Trust in Frank.  Free the Tapes!<br>

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 6:20 am 

drool, perfecty right again! On the other side I don`t mind if things are cut together. On The Helsinki Gig you can hear it at times where FZ made a cut. And, I always wondered if the show really was "only" about 2 hours, since bootlegs on tapes around are up to 160-180 min. long.   <br>But if you took some shows from different dates but same tour (or even same city) you get the idea of what the band was about, and that`s what we are all into, aren`t we. We don`t need no copmlete show from 82, 84 or 88. But you easily could compile several tunes from these years and get CDs full of unreleased songs/gimmicks/arrangements etc... that`s what I hope from the future releases from Vaulternative.<br><br>- Grand/Petit Wazoo 1972/73<br>- Roxy Band 1973/4 (the 10th anniversary in may 1974!)<br>- complete Gig or edits from the 1980 European Tour and US Fall Tour<br>- remaining 1988 live material<br>- more of the 75 band, the Bongo Fury-time<br>- complete Palladium 1977, 78, 81 (cut or not)<br><br>The only type of thing you could use the pottpouri-method again is<br>- more of The Lost Episodes!!!<br><br>okay vaultmeister joe, you know what to do....!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 10:29 am 

As I understand it, the vault has virtually every sound (musical or otherwise) that Frank made in his lifetime.  It's just a matter of what would make a good CD package.<br><br>As far as price goes, this is some HIGH quality stuff here folks so ante up the extra ducats.<br><br>

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 7:46 pm 

well - I want more Zappa music as much as anyone on the planet or elsewhere. But let's consider the quality of particularly the last two things released. Haloween has some truly great tracks but as a whole is woefully inadequate comparred to the real Oct 31 1978 show. The inclusion of other shows isn't needed - too musch Dinah-Moe Humm, Muffin man level stuff and not enough MUSIC music; FZ:OZ one of the weaker bands; doesn't gel terribly well, that band had not played together long and never did din't work out. what kind of choice WAS this? still, brilliant moments: moments. nothing athat really adds up to whole, and  seems like I paid over 40 dollars all told. [forty bux replaces my lost Zappa In New York twice over] there is no one there, noone home at ZFT - certainly no one with the knack for sequencing a real FZ project. I know there are people in this world who are better qualified but the motivation ain't there; very little IS there any mo'

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 8:44 pm 

There are many concerts from the 1973-1974 period that are worth releasing, especially the Sydney shows! Much improvisations and superb playing! Sowhy on earth a hacked up halloween 1978 and not so superb 1976 FZ:OZ show?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:41 am 

It has to be a show that you can't find on a trading or Zappa gig list.<br>  Of course there are many A quality stereo soundboard boots out there. It wouldn't make any sense, for ZFT, to release any of these.<br>  I attended a 1980 show in Green Bay, Wisconsin.<br>That show was incredible, it isn't found on anyones list, and hardly found on ZAPPA GIG lists.....anywhere!!<br>  According to Vault Joe, it was Vinnie's last show with this incredible line-up.<br>  This is the type of show that needs to be processed for consumption.<br><br>  Noone has the show....EVERYONE will buy that show.<br><br>As far as somewhere on the site to vote on releases, that is a great idea!!!!<br>The Crimson site has something similiar to that.<br>  There is a vast amount of live material to choose from, you can set up a credit line on the site for purchases, or you can join and be sent the releases in the mail automatically, like a cd club.<br> I would join in a minute!! YA HEAR THAT GAIL??<br> But maybe I've said too much :-X<br>  This is what ZFT needs to accomplish. And not expect 40 per release.<br>  Those prices amount to corporate greed.