Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Musicians forum please!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 11:13 am 

How about a forum for musicians to talk about the music side of the music?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 8:41 am 

okay, to get this thread going heres a question.  some of us play instruments and ill guess we are of mostly average skill.  obviously our wet dream would be at the level of fz's players to do recordings/tours with fz.  what tune or couple of tunes do you guys wish you could pull off on your respective instruments?<br><br>my 1st answer is:  88' arrangement of sinister 2nd mvt, on my drumset.  that shit is absurd.    next  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 8:56 am 

if i could play the guitar i'd like to be able to play watermelon in easter hay...but as i can't play the guitar i just hum it in my head or preferably play it note perfect on my air guitar that i got from an antique shop in a place i once visited called Centerville. Apparently it's a great place to raise the kids but we couldn't afford it after buying the guitar  ::)

Solipsism Facebook
Juno Records Vinyl

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 4:41 am 

I'd like to play perfectly INCA ROADS...But I'm always dirt on it...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 9:10 am 

okay, ill go again.  this time its not a "song" per se.  <br>vol. 4, track 12, disk 1, pound for a brown solos.  vinnie, for crying out loud.  how the hell does he do that shit? 8)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:12 pm 

Uh-oh; I think I'm gonna hafta buy Vol 4 now.  <br><br>My thing with Vinnie is best summarized by a conversation I had with another drummer.  One time, after we listened to Vinnie on Pick Me I'm Clean (Tinseltown), my drummer buddy asked: "Why can't I play like that?"  My question to him was: "Do you HEAR that when you're playing?"  We looked at each other as if the nail was hit right on the head.  The answer in both of our cases was NO.  <br><br>So that's what I want:  I want to hear what Vinnie hears!<br><br>I also want to be able to play the Black Page #1 on my drumset.  I can kinda fumble through most of BP#2 (no, not the 11 against whatever part), but the rhythms on #1 are way harder . . . gimmie a break, each beat of a 1/4 note triplet subdivided so the first 2 beats are quintuplets and the last beat is a sextuplet; thank god I don't have to worry about the pitches on drumset!  I'm working with Pete Magadini's "Musician's Guide to Polyrhythyms"; I'll get it eventually and NOBODY WILL CARE but me.<br><br>VCF <br><br>EDIT:  Oh yeah, a musician's forum would be cool.

Revel in your otherness. MK

STILL pissed at Tipper. VCF

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:40 pm 

[quote author=VCF link=board=wishList;num=1034892834;start=0#6 date=10/08/03 at 16:12:47]I'll get it eventually and NOBODY WILL CARE but me.<br>VCF <br>[/quote]<br>I lived in THAT world for YEARS!!! ;D<br><br>I used to do the same thing on guitar, including working with Pete Magadini's "Musician's Guide to Polyrhythyms." (I went to a Terry Bozzio drum clinic and that book was the answer to the question I asked him.) I had spent years in the past trying to crack the Zappa code on rhythms and incorporate it into my music. Not so much these days, it really takes a lot out of you and requires a LOT of time and self-discipline. <br><br>It's simultaneously good for you and maddening to take on tasks like this. Good luck, VCF!<br>

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 6:29 pm 

[quote author=Batchain115 link=board=wishList;num=1034892834;start=0#8 date=10/08/03 at 18:28:19]<br><br>You sure did get that right, swiftkick! It just gets easier and easier to say, "Aw, fuck it!" Or should I say, "It sure gets harder and harder not to say, 'Aw, fuck it!'" I'll probably go with the latter. :-[<br>--Bat[/quote]<br>Well Bat, we can console ourselves with the knowledge that the guys who did it for Frank got paid to practise that stuff for 8 hours a day for 2 months before they went out on tour and made it look easy. ;D <br><br>
Quote:
Post Script: I'm sure I'll still allow myself several more times to mangle "Black Napkins".
<br>Ah, so you CAN'T just walk away completely....I understand. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 6:21 am 

[quote author=VCF link=board=wishList;num=1034892834;start=0#6 date=10/08/03 at 16:12:47]Uh-oh; I think I'm gonna hafta buy Vol 4 now.  <br>[/quote]<br>youll love it, its a way of life.<br><br>another favorite vinnie-ism of mine is on vol. 6 "thirteen" with shankar.  are these guys kidding? :o :o

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 1:51 pm 

I've got it . . . listening right now . . . D'oh!  More crediting errors: it's Title is PFB Solos (1978), but the recording date says 10/31/79 (oh well, it's Vinnie either way) . . . more Tommy less Peter (he used to pick on Arthur Barrow) . . .  the fretless must be Patrick . . . you're right; it IS a way of life!<br><br>Now I gotta get a DVD and Halloween for Zeets full solo.<br><br>VCF

Revel in your otherness. MK

STILL pissed at Tipper. VCF

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 8:18 pm 

I'm an average guitar player - I can play Zoot Allures (not the solo) and parts of Moggio - I used a slowdown program. But I haven't delved into it too much - it gets real frustrating real fast.  :-/

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 4:39 am 

I tried to figure out "Florentine Pogen" once, but I just couldn't figure out what key it was in. I set my guitar on my bed and started surfing the web for a while. A few minutes later, I stretched and accidentally hit the low E string on the guitar. Suddenly, it hit me: that's the first note in the song! It didn't take me too long to figure out the rest. I also figured out the slow riff from "Son of Orange County", but it took me a while to get it just right. I had to listen to it over and over again.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 10:10 am 

[quote author=VCF link=board=wishList;num=1034892834;start=0#11 date=10/10/03 at 16:51:54]Now I gotta get a DVD and Halloween for Zeets full solo.<br><br>VCF[/quote]<br>i feel the should have given us a new pair of underwear or at least diapers with the dvd-a when they release vinnie solos like that.  i know i shit myself...did you??  :P :-[

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 3:53 pm 

I'm not a musician (unfortunately!) but every time I hear 'Andy', I say to myself: How can the drummer and the bassist do this  :o

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 5:28 am 

[quote author=CheepnisAroma link=board=wishList;num=1034892834;start=15#15 date=10/11/03 at 18:53:34]I'm not a musician (unfortunately!) but every time I hear 'Andy', I say to myself: How can the drummer and the bassist do this  :o[/quote]<br><br>It's humanly possible...I played Andy on bass live a couple of time... 8)<br>

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 6:20 am 

[quote author=MIZZU link=board=wishList;num=1034892834;start=15#16 date=10/15/03 at 08:28:20]<br><br>It's humanly possible...I played Andy on bass live a couple of time... 8)<br>[/quote]<br>I envy you. Who with?<br>

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:12 am 

okay mizzu, come clean.  we all know you were playing with yourself again!   ;) ;D :P

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 6:18 am 

Does anyone know how to play the "Open up your pocket book; Get another quarter out" riff in Magic Fingers? <br><br>It's driving me crazy.  I know the other riffs.  <br><br>Can anyone help?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:43 pm 

RE: the whole  cross-rhythm - 'anything against anything else' time deal, look where they've been doing this for millenia - that's right you heard right, thousands of years: in India; and an American guy, Matthew Montford,  put together this BOOK, which is DEFINITIVE: "Ancient and Future Traditions", written from a drumming perspective, but anyone who understands rhythmic notation can benefit immensely from it. It takes (any) time (well if you have 2 and 4, 8 is redundant, so not 8, same as per 3 & 6 {tho' a lot of what easterners think of as 4/4 is figured as 16, aka TINTAL pronounced teental; as evidenced on any number of Ravi Shankar liner notes for instance}); and puts first 3, then 4, 5, 7, 9 in permutations against it from both sides of the equation; both from Northern and Southern traditions (He also covers African and both traditions of Gamelan percussion as well). Master something like this, and you just might BE hearing some of what Vinnie hears.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:57 pm 

DUDE! the riff there in Magic Fingers is pretty much in standard blues scale just REAL FAST. Find a way to play at half speed; (that's all Art Barrow could do when Frank asked him to come back and play the hard part in the St Alfonzo bridge). If yer really stuck I'll write it out for yez (fora nominal charge of course. no - real nominal... I'm kidding here it is, in E: a a# b g e d - e d b bflat a g d - E g a a# b d d# e b - a - g - d a g e<br>the dashes are where the syncopations occur OK? the last bit I think's right I'm workin' from menory here.<br>[range is an 8ve + maj 6th]<br>civil

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 11:16 pm 

oh sorry - I left out the opening line of that riff (IE started w. Get another quarter out) begin with: E g a a# d a g.. then to the bit before