Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: FZ rehearsals
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 9:57 pm 

Gail and Dweezil, please read this topic!<br><br>There's one thing I'd like to see on DVD (and VHS, for the unfortunate who didn't switch to DVD): FZ rehearsals. Why? Because I'd like to see and hear how FZ worked with his musicians. The other day, I was visiting Arthur Barrow's web site. AB was saying how creative FZ was when the band rehearsed. Well, I'd like to see it by myself. It could be a bonus to a concert, what d'you think?  ;D

Post subject: Re: FZ rehearsals
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 3:38 am 

Fuck me dead! No chance, man.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 3:57 am 

No chance? It's unlikely the Zappas will release this kind of stuff someday and yet that would be cool. Oh well...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 4:18 am 

I'm not saying thats cool. I would love to see it also. But going on present form in releasing material, I doubt its a goer.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 5:01 am 

It would be cool to hear, but no way would this stuff ever be released. <br> Saying that, I just realized that some rehearsals did<br>make their way to cd. The "EIHN" cd, I believe, does<br>contain a couple of rehearsals?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 5:01 am 

This is what made me think it would be interesting to see a rehearsal. It comes from Arthur Barrow's web site:<br><br>
Quote:
Rehearsals<br><br>Rehearsals were grueling and wonderful. We rehearsed at least 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, for about 6 weeks or so before a tour. Rehearsals usually got started around mid-afternoon, with the Clonemeister leading for the first half of the day, then Frank would arrive and take over for the remainder of the day. Once I was in the band, Frank instructed me to purchase a cassette recorder and a lot of blank tape to record the rehearsals, which I did. As a result, I own many hours of often interesting Zappa rehearsal recordings.<br><br>We usually rehearsed in big Hollywood "sound stages" - gymnasium sized buildings with high enough ceilings to set up the PA and lights. In 1980, however, we did rehearse for a while at the Zappa warehouse building now called Joes' Garage.Though mentally and physically very demanding, it was also among the most rewarding time to be spent in the band. <br><br>Rehearsal was where Frank was at his most creative, often writing new material on the spot. He seemed to love to see how far he could push the envelope of what the band could do technically. I improved as a musician in that circumstance far more than I could ever have done no matter how much I might have "woodshedded" on my own. When I was there with Frank and all those other fine players, I didn't want to be the one to mess up, so I worked hard at it. Because Frank was often writing "on the band", this meant that he changed his mind a lot, which can really twist your head up when you are dealing with so much information to process. I would leave rehearsals sometimes feeling like my brain was convulsing inside my scull. But it was all worth it to be able to be part of the process and really get inside the way his musical mind worked. Sometimes, of course, he would come in with written music for us to play which was another great way to see the way his music worked. Sometimes we would learn a few short but complex notated pieces, then insert them into songs he would write later on. Examples of this would be in "Wet T-shirt Nite" and "Jumbo Go Away".<br>
<br><br>Arthur's site:<br><br>http://pw1.netcom.com/~bigear/awbpage1.html

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 5:47 pm 

[quote author=Sebastiaan link=board=wishList;num=1062316644;start=0#6 date=09/02/03 at 07:39:56]You can hear FZ trying out some unknown - short - pieces of melodies and themes that eventually didn't 'make it'.  [/quote]<br><br>Maybe FZ used musical 'exercises' for rehearsals, material he never recorded... I don't know, just wondering  ??? It would be interesting to ask this question to one of FZ's musician. <br>

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 6:23 am 

i have a boot called "Shiek Rehearsals" has a few nice moments. Doesn't compare to the live material from the same era, ie '78.

Watercress-Errrr Micheal J Fox

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 11:03 am 

[quote author=francie_brady link=board=wishList;num=1062316644;start=0#8 date=09/05/03 at 09:23:51]i have a boot called "Shiek Rehearsals" has a few nice moments. Doesn't compare to the live material from the same era, ie '78.[/quote]<br><br>I got this boot yesterday. Didn't hear it just yet.<br><br>About the rehearsals--on FZ/OZ, 2nd CD, the second version of "Kaiser Rolls" is a rehearsal.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 5:22 pm 

[quote author=CheepnisAroma link=board=wishList;num=1062316644;start=0#0 date=08/31/03 at 00:57:24]Gail and Dweezil, please read this topic!<br><br>There's one thing I'd like to see on DVD (and VHS, for the unfortunate who didn't switch to DVD): FZ rehearsals. Why? Because I'd like to see and hear how FZ worked with his musicians. The other day, I was visiting Arthur Barrow's web site. AB was saying how creative FZ was when the band rehearsed. Well, I'd like to see it by myself. It could be a bonus to a concert, what d'you think?  ;D[/quote]<br>The Baby Snakes video shows a bit of rehearsal.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 7:26 pm 

I'd like to hear some to the '88 band European rehearsals.........<br><br>

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 8:23 pm 

I would love to see rehearsals on DVD.  Maybe a documentary on the whole process of getting the band together for a tour, the rehearsals, behind the scenes on the road, etc.  There have been little snippets of this type of thing on Baby Snakes and maybe a little on 200 Motels and the 200 Motels documentary.  Probably never happen, but this is the wish list.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 4:37 am 

[quote author=The_Slime link=board=wishList;num=1062316644;start=0#11 date=09/09/03 at 22:26:01]I'd like to hear some to the '88 band European rehearsals.........<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>Yes, they - as did the other lineups- definitely rehearsed much more than they played live. And as a bonus Cd the funniest soundchecks!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 5:30 am 

Good idea  :D<br>Soundchecks would be fun.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 5:04 pm 

You find rehearsals boring but we're not all musicians here. Like I said, I'd like to see rehearsals to see how FZ worked with his musicians Image