Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: NEW MUSIC PLEASE...
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 9:39 pm 

Hey, Thing Fish.<br>I totally agree with you about the Radiohead issue. I just don't get it either.<br>Here's some of the stuff I think is pretty epic:<br><br>MR. BUNGLE - Disco Volante (dark, desturbing & Beautiful)<br>MR. BUNGLE - California (Bungle's "pop" album. Great arrangements and production)<br>MR. BUNGLE - Mr. Bungle (Circus-funk-metal... Funny and great)<br>SECRET CHIEFS 3 - Four albums out on Mimicry Records (www.webofmimicry.com). This is the shit!! Bungle guitarist, Trey Spruance's brainchild. Eastern folk/techno/metal. Extremely talented musicians, arrangements and productions. Get them all.<br>FARMERS MARKET - Norweigan jazz band heavily into balkan music. Their first (live) album title says a lot 'bout their style: Speed Balkan Boogie. Again, extremely talented musicians.<br><br>Well, there's more, but I've gotta work now.<br>But everybody should check out the Secret Chiefs 3.<br><br>Peace, love and Enema.<br>Don Salsa<br><br>

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 9:45 pm 

I'm sorry, AbnucealEmukaah83.<br>I didn't really mean to call you Thing Fish.<br> ::)<br>

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 2:06 am 

I've been re-listening my old Stereolab albums a lot lately. With hindsight, they're one of the most interesting bands from the 90s, mixing up diverse influences like sixties pop, bossa-nova, exotica, krautrock and experimental music. Some of their later work is pretty advanced, with lots of odd rhythms and arrangements and trippy analog synth-bubbles.<br><br>Definitely one of my favorite bands, I highly recommend their albums "Dots and Loops" and "Cobra and Phases Group"

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 4:53 am 

Try out The white stripes<br><br>http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&uid=MISS70305161407&sql=Bavdkylo1xpmb~C#disc2<br><br>Or what about Aphex twin<br><br>http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&uid=MISS70305161407&sql=Bl09us33ba3bg~C#disc2<br><br>Those are the ones i for the moment can figure out for you at the moment. Ofourse, if you live in sweden I can guide you to some good swedish bands.<br><br> -/dr_grogg<br><br>

Post subject: radiohead
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 7:22 am 

whoa, i'm surprised at the radiohead-bashing goin on up in here.  i think the media loves radiohead because their music is so damn good.  i actually think the media isn't going far enough.  everybody said "OK Computer" was a masterpiece, but i think it was really just the beginning of the band's journey in to the crazier side or rock, and their new album "Hail To The Theif" is their best yet.  check it out before you dismiss them because of the critics' drooling response.<br><br>mr. bungle of course is great music, although not really "new"<br><br>what about DREDG?  <br><br>this is the band that really could save rock, if anybody wanted it to be saved.  they make music that's as intelligent as Perfect Circle, without the pretention.  these are just a group of dudes (and i mean it, they look like regular dudes) from california who love art and love music, and all they're interested in is making music that sounds good and makes you think or feel.  their newest album "El Cielo" is probably the greatest album of 2002.<br><br>any other zappa fans like dredg?

Post subject: Re: radiohead
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 7:46 am 

Well, personally I liked 'The Bends' and 'OK Computer' a lot, but the Radiohead albums after that ('Kid A' and 'Amnesiac') are somewhat overrated in my opinion. These albums were hailed as revolutionary and ground-breaking new music by the press, but that's just because it's electronic music done by a rock band. Guys like Aphex Twin, Autechre and Squarepusher were doing the same kind of music years before them, but most rock fans weren't buying it. <br><br>The same goes for Tool, I really like their stuff, but I do think they're slightly overrated by a lot of people and definitely not as ground-breaking and innovative as some people think. Just my opinion, please don't flame.. ;)<br><br>Haven't heard the latest Radiohead-album yet, but I'll definitely check it out.

Post subject: Re: radiohead
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 1:35 pm 

[quote author=Lumpy Gravy Sr link=board=wishList;num=1055767029;start=30#33 date=08/21/03 at 12:03:16]<br><br>And the first band doing this was the German band Can.[/quote]<br><br>The first time I heard of Can was during a Radiohead interview. Apparently Thom Yorke had been listening to their entire catalogue prior to penning the last (couple?) of albums.<br>

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 10:06 am 

[center]The Discordian Society<br><br>http://www.thediscordiansociety.com<br><br>CREATIVE CHAOS for the MASS<br><br>MUSIC HERE<br><br><br>http://www.newmusic.clearchannel.com/artist/thediscordiansociety.com/<br><br>http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/468/the_discordian_society.html<br>[/center]

Grand Purveyor of non-sensicle idiosyncronistic universitalities

http://www.thediscordiansociety.com