Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: NEW MUSIC PLEASE...
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 2:37 am 

I have a question to all forum members who are reading this post...<br><br>Do you have suggestions of new music (album's and artists) that i should MOST DEFINITLEY check out ???<br><br>I feel like i am in some sort of trap and have been only listening to old music (60's and 70's and even REALLY old blues and jazz from somewhere early 1900's) but in terms of music from the last 10 years, i really can't find any good music out there, except for TOOL...<br><br>Of course there are a couple of more ''new'' groups that i like but it's really not that much, so my question to you is....:<br><br><br>[move]WHAT MUSIC/BAND/ALBUM SHOULD I CHECK OUT ???[/move]

Post subject: Re: NEW MUSIC PLEASE...
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 3:04 am 

1) check out some stuff at http://www.ipecac.com, as a Tool-fan, you'll probably like:<br><br>Fantômas <br>Already heavily debated and propageted on this forum -latest heavy vessel of Mike Patton - you can't go wrong with 'The Director's Cut'<br>Ruins<br>Their latest 'Tzomoborga' is really fucking brilliant - don't be misleaded by the crappy soundsample on the site. on of my albums of the year. But mind you: this is japan avant-garde stuff. good bio on the Ipecac-site.<br>Tomahawk<br>Their latest 'Mit Gas' is also very okay and maybe comes close to Tool in some aspects.<br><br>2) everything by Fugazi - most definitely their latest 'The Argument' and the one before that - 'End Hits'... great power+great vision. Ian McKay and the likes invented 'straight edge' back when they were young. there latest is very 'mature'... <br><br>3) everything by Sonic Youth - just brilliant and beautifull stuff, also the new stuff imho. noise+poetry+guitar+great songs. 'Murray Street' is one of my albums of the year. Don't be mislead by any of the poppy singles of the 'Dirty' album - also good, but not for starters I guess, if you don't like poppyness.<br><br>4) Masada - John Zorns Klezmer-jazz-avantgarde group. thrilling, vital, highly energetic. awesome stuff - sometimes very agressive, at other times just laidback and relax. innovative. Check out the live albums, especially 'Tonic' (2cd), 'Middelheim' (more harshness here) and 'Sevilla' (more laidback, summerfeeling).  (http://www.tzadik.com - radical jewish culture section)<br><br>5) Mogwai<br>heavy beauty melacholy distortion guitars - unsurpassed. albums: 'Come on die young', 'Rock Action' and 'Happy songs for happy people.' you'll have to let them grow, but surely worth it. 'Cody' is the darkest one, with a great Iggy Pop-interview-sample as an compelling intro to the album.<br><br>6) New Wet Kojac of Girls against Boys frontman Scott McLoud. relaxed. the saxomophone.<br><br>7) Shellac<br>Steve Albinis own 3-combo. white sururban dry highly intelligent spastic rock, uncredibly sound. hooks. in your face. oh, my if you don't love this, i dunno.<br><br>8) Amon Tobin<br>electro sample wizard. the cream of the crops. must have. a bit dark. jazz influences. don't be mislead by his latest single or the fact that it is only 'electronics'. His latest 'Out from Nowhere' is tops.<br><br>9) 16 Horsepower<br>'Secret South' is one of the best albums ever made. apocalyptic dark impressive rock about god. the signer, David Eugene Edwards just is haunting. very beautifull and emotional. as a tool fan, you'll like it I think. their latest, 'Folklore' is also very good, but more an accoustic folk record. better start with 'Secret South'. simple awe.<br><br>10) Karate (jazzguitars: 'Unsolved'), Motorpsycho (Norwegian psychonauts, but maybe only this stuff: 'Angels and Demons at Play', 'Trust Us' & 'Let them eat cake') , Kyuss (desert stoner rock), and so on, and so on, and so on.<br><br>IMHO you can't go wrong with any of the mentioned albums - you can buy them without listening... Moreover, it are all innovative bands, premiering their respective leagues, and they all influenced tons of other present day bands. That's why I didn't included references to other bands - these bands are the references themselves to present day independend music. <br><br>I excluded metal bands in this list by the way - if you want a list of what's interesting there (some brilliant shit to if you ask me): please, do ask.<br><br>Let me know what you think if you choose to check all this out...<br>

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 12:25 pm 

http://www.meshuggah.net<br><br>This swedish "metal" band has found a good balance between "head" and "body".It's not too intellectual, neither too basic.And it's always ultra-violent.<br><br>You can also try "Candiria".They put some hip-hop (forgive me) in their progressive hard core.<br><br>I believe Symphony X is the definitive "neo-classical/symphonic" metal band.They may be baroque to the extreme, at least they don't compromise.<br><br>"Jazz":<br>-Steve Coleman and Co.<br>-Prysm<br>-Jean-Michel Pilc<br>If you wanna try the trendy "electro-jazz", well you'd better stay with Miles's 70's records.<br><br>

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 12:50 am 

THANK YOU<br><br>There are some familiar names among those who are listed, and those who are not, i will definitley check out as soon as i am possible...<br><br>Don't be shy, list everything YOU think is worthwhile...<br>I'm what you can call a real musical omnivore: i listen to almost everything and there are just to many sorts of music/bands/albums that i enjoy to name here...<br><br>But in terms of music from the last decade, i almost haven't found anything good, about 90% of the music i listen to is ''OLDER THAN YOU ARE...''<br><br>THANX AGAIN

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 3:51 am 

[quote author=AbnucealEmukaah83 link=board=wishList;num=1055767029;start=0#3 date=06/18/03 at 03:50:21]<br>But in terms of music from the last decade, i almost haven't found anything good, about 90% of the music i listen to is ''OLDER THAN YOU ARE...''<br>[/quote]<br>I feel I'm in the same boat as you, Abby. Most of what I listen to is more than 10 years old, but it's what I enjoy so what the hell. While the music/media industry is so focussed on producing bland soulless musak for mass appeal, its difficult, but possible to find good contempory music. You'll rarely find it on radio or tv.<br><br>I rely on reviews by trusted scribes and there aren't many of those either. Also "word of mouth" from friends with similar tastes. A lot of "new music" that I get into is actually old music that I missed first time around (I was stoned and I missed it - shel silverstein).<br><br>I'm getting into different styles of music that I didn't have time for before - country (non-Garth Brooks variety), bluegrass, a bit of jazz. Still love the dirty-ass rock 'n roll though!<br><br>Ry Cooder has a new album out in collaboration with a guy called Manuel Galban (Cuban, I think) that is excellent. It's called "Mambo Sinuendo" - recommended. Have a listen to Radiohead's "OK Computer" if you haven't heard it, but it's probably not contempory anymore, but less than 10 years old. My 18 y.o. son listens to Mr Bungle and Sausage which I found pretty good also.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 4:03 am 

yeah - 'OK Computer' definetly checks out as one of the best albums of the previous decade! Also, 'Grace' by Jeff Buckley should be mentioned. <br><br>Reading the word country in Bernies post made me think about these 2 gems:<br><br>Image<br>American IV: The Man Comes Around<br><br>and<br><br>Image<br>American III: Solitary Man<br><br>Released in 2003 and 2002 this definitly is NEW music. <br>(Although the records contain (among new Johnny Cash songs) covers of such classics as 'The Mercy Seat' (Nick Cave), 'Hurt' (NIN), 'One' (U2), 'Personal Jezus' (Depeche Mode), etc., etc.)<br><br>They are both without a doubt 2 of the best records ever made in accoustic music. But fucking dark - you'll cry to them - as he made these records with one foot in the grave. <br><br>You don't have to be a country lover to enjoy these, not in a long shot. This is just honest, powerfull music without any mumbojumbo or effects. Simple, clear and brilliant. Straight from the heart.<br><br>Tons of respect.<br>

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 5:48 am 

[quote author=bb link=board=wishList;num=1055767029;start=0#5 date=06/18/03 at 07:03:00]<br>Image<br>American IV: The Man Comes Around<br><br>and<br><br>Image<br>American III: Solitary Man<br>[/quote]<br><br>I have yet to listen to American III, but I have listened to my mom's copy of American IV several times. It's truly a powerful piece of work. I respect the man for wanting to get as much done as he can with the little time he has left. I would do the same thing.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 6:14 pm 

;DBjorn Olssen...any of his 3 CDs(but best of all, the one on the OMPLATTEN label-Other Music's record label from New York).   He makes what sound like soundtracks to movies in your head!  A bit of spaghetti western(Ennio Morricone!),a bit of sci-fi...and some Bo Hansson(who did a Lord Of The Rings LP in the 1970's that was classic!),and dare I say it...a bit of HOT RATS vibe too!!  VERY COOL STUFF that feels "lost in time",because it is recently recorded,but has an old ,lost classic feeling!<br><br>I'll post more as I think of them!<br><br>

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 6:26 pm 

:oOPETH's DAMNATION CD is a bit like Pink Floyd and abandons all of their Death Metal Vocals to great effect...finally good vocals and cool music combine here making a great CD that will stand the test of time(I think). It's a meditation on our mortality.  It's all due to the influence of Steven Wilson who's ...<br>        ;) PORCUPINE TREE you should also check-out!   A bit of old progressive,and a bit of new metal,and psychedelia are mixed beautifully with this bands output!  Of their Cds check-out Stupid Dream,  or The Sky Moves Sideways(most like Pink Floyd),or easiest to find is In Absentia(which is the heaviest of the bunch) which is on the US label LAVA a Warner Brothers off-shoot.  Thought provoking lyrics and great hooks/ changes in the music's arrangement makes Steven's band one to check out and watch.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 9:57 pm 

Hard&bizarre stuffs<br>1. Mr.Bungle (Mr.Bungle)<br>2. Disco Volante (Mr.Bungle)<br>3. King for a day fool for a lifetime (Faith no more)<br><br>World music stuffs:<br>1. Khatar (Trilok Gurtu)<br>2. Circulado vivo (Caetano Veloso)<br>3. O sol de oslo (Gilberto Gil)<br><br>"Beautiful song" stuffs:<br>1. No more shall we part (Nick Cave)<br>2. The boatman's call (Nick Cave)<br>3. Murder Ballads (Nick Cave)<br>4. Grace (Jeff Buckley)<br>5. Selmasongs (Bjork)<br><br>ciao

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 5:41 pm 

And I MUST plug...<br><br>Turbonegro - Scandinavian Leather<br>Image<br><br>The latest album (with the album art designed by Klaus Voormann, who did the art for the Beatles' "Revolver" album) from the legendary Norwegian "death punk" band Turbonegro (who have even collaborated with Eugene Chadbourne a few times). They broke up in 1998, but reformed last year. Now they're back on the road and better than ever.<br><br>If you want uninhibited, no-bullshit rock and roll, you got it all right here. The young guitar god Knut "Euroboy" Schreiner's guitar solos will blow you away. They've got a glam-rock look, but their music is like the attitude of The Ramones crossed with the sound of Motörhead.<br><br>Download the singles "Fuck The World" and "Turbonegro Must Be Destroyed" from the official site:<br>http://www.scandinavianleather.com/<br><br>If you buy it, you will not be disappointed.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 8:14 am 

my first post. as for music in the past 10 years? Just my preference, but Man or Astroman is an interesting band. Its surf music, but they have samples from cheesy 50s B-movies. check out the Album "Destroy All Astomen" <br><br>as for popular bands, I've been fond of the Smashing Pumpkins and Radiohead. I've been listening to the album Songs for the Deaf that my friend burned for me, by a band named Queens of the Stone Age. Its hard rock and is set up like you are in a car listening to the radio, as the first song is preceded by the DJ to KLN, KLOAN RADIO "we play the songs that sound more like everyone else, than anyone else"

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 9:19 am 

It depends on how strange you want it! If you want some strange and weird basement rock then check out:<br><br>http://www.kubusmannen.com<br><br><br>If you go into their discography section u can download some of their songs ;D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 3:59 am 

THANX ONCE MORE<br><br><br>About RADIOHEAD...:<br><br>What the fuck is the big deal about them ???<br><br>It seems as if everything they put out is automatically called a masterpiece !!!<br><br>Whatever happened to subjective journalism (now that's an euphemism...) and subjective listening ???<br><br>Why is it that Radiohead is considered genius and sell millions of albums and FZ is almost forgotten and sells a whole lot less...???<br><br>I mean both of them make music that isn't very easy to listen to at first, but somehow people ''forget'' about that whilst listening to Radiohead and on the other hand FZ is considered BOGUS...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 4:01 am 

[quote author=Uncle Bernie link=board=wishList;num=1055767029;start=0#4 date=06/18/03 at 06:51:41]<br>I feel I'm in the same boat as you, Abby. Most of what I listen to is more than 10 years old, but it's what I enjoy so what the hell. <br><br>[/quote]<br><br>You maybe right about that, but you have to admit it's getting harder all the time to visit concerts of groups you enjoy listening to if many of those groups don't even exist anymore...<br>

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 12:30 pm 

Again i am not sure of spelling but check out "Iso Poposov" he is <br>this clairenet player from some where in europe and his band is <br>unbeliveble especialy the drummer.<br>Also if you are a Zappa fan you should definately check  out<br>"Bumble Foot" from N.Y.C. ::) ::) :-*

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:31 am 

There is a band called Tortoise who has some quircky songs, but they're nice.  It's sort of experimental rock....but I'm sure they've given it some other name by now.  They're at least worth a download or two.  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 5:23 am 

[quote author=radagast link=board=wishList;num=1055767029;start=15#18 date=07/02/03 at 13:31:19]There is a band called Tortoise who has some quircky songs, but they're nice.  It's sort of experimental rock....but I'm sure they've given it some other name by now.  They're at least worth a download or two.  [/quote]<br><br>...it's called POSTROCK...  ;)<br><br>indeed, a very good band - specially their latest, called Standards. definetly worth to check out.<br>

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 5:26 am 

Moreover : check out this band : i've been plugging them in several other threads, but actually this thread seems most apropriate. read the quotes, listen, and decided for yourselves... (maybe nothing for the 50+ people on this board, but *kids* with a heart for complex punk, metal, jazz & progessive stuff etc will probably like it.)<br><br>[center]Image<br>The Mars Volta : De-Loused in the Comatorium[/center]<br>review quotes:<br>
Quote:
Mars Volta's "De-Loused in the Comatorium" is a vast, strong expression of music that is so far ahead of the curve in modern music...<br>--<br>This is an exceptional album of art-punk. That's right, this album will not, I repeat, NOT be found on your radio dial. It is not an easily accessible sound. It is a newly evolved sound that is completely unique and profound, full of jagged rhythms and dischordant melodies. I don't know, it's all too complicated and wonderful for me to describe.<br><br>This will be the blueprint of modern punk rock, mark my words. This is the new manifesto.<br>--<br>(...) This is some sort of experimental free jazz-psych-prog-salsa-rock. ... There are sprawling landscapes of beautiful instrumental wobbling and then furious bursts of amazingly precise rock, both of which will test the listener's musical horizons. This album is just an amazing piece of art and will hopefully bring people into new musical territory.<br>--<br>There aren't many albums that totally blow me away from the first listen, but this is one of them. Not since Tool's 2001 effort Lateralus have I heard an album with such sheer energy and intricate arrangements. Some tracks go on for several minutes of pure instrumentation yet the disc contains songs ranging from less than two minutes in length up to twelve. Like Lateralus, the songs play out like epics, changing around various keys and melodies throughout the lengthy piece. They also create a variety of multi layered soundscapes and textures, which may not be MTV2 ready.<br>--<br>I know that these are sweepingly dramatic statements, but I wholeheartedly believe in them. This is the kind of music that might take one, two, or every ten listenings to even begin to absorb, but once you start to you'll begin to see just how deep it goes, and just how much you can get out of this record. If you don't understand it, or aren't ready for it, the Mars Volta understand. Many people won't be, and that's why this album won't top the charts. But it will make you realize that the music you've been listening to has boundaries, and it takes a band this good to break them. At least it did for me. And now the choice is up to you.
<br><br>http://www.themarsvolta.com/index_main.html

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 9:02 am 

If you're into jazz, try David S Ware. Great sax.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:15 am 

Strapping young lad-City <br><br>Emotional, melodic, angry, modern.. bah. there's no use describing this album. Just buy it or miss something great.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 6:03 am 

Thank u thank u thank u and thank u....<br><br>For those of u who are thinking i forgot about this topic, think again...<br><br>I already new some of the bands mentioned, and i am now going to check out some of the other releases i don't know.<br><br>The only problem is finance: right now i haven't got enough money to go out and buy new releases, but when pay-day arrives that will be the first thing i'll do...<br><br>Untill then....thanx and i'll keep ya informed<br><br>ABBY

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 5:38 am 

Zoot Horn Rollo's (The Magic Band) solo album "We Saw A Bozo Under The Sea"is great.