Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: My Wish
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 1:49 pm 

I wish all the early Mother's recordings can be reissued in their original form. I mean without overdubs and new drum tracks. My cd of "We're Only In It For the Money" sounds like a completely different recording than the original release. Is it possible to still find untampered recordings? I realize FZ authorized the new releases but I like the originals.

Post subject: Re: My Wish
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 2:25 pm 
Banned

Is it the 1986 or 1995 version? The 1995 version is censored, but with the original rythm tracks, but the 1986 version is uncensored and contains drum over-dubs. (check and see if Lumpy Gravy is also on the same disk.)

Don't treat me, baby, like your
Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 9:18 pm 

I have the 1986 version with Lumpy Gravy.<br>

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 12:25 am 

Then you should buy the 1995 verison that only contains the censorship of harry your a beast.(is there any cersorships on lumpy gravy?) No overdubs.

Watercress-Errrr Micheal J Fox

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 1:40 pm 

Fortunately "Lumpy Gravy" is intact. No overdubs. The worst overdubbing is on "Cruising With Reuben And The Jets." Funny thing, I purchased my  vinyl copy of "We're Only In It For The Money" in 1969 or 1970 and it was censored too. I do like the bonus song "Big Legged Emma" on the "Absolutely Free" cd.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 5:26 pm 

I'm glad I held on to my original Mothers lps.<br>I've burned many of them onto cds.  ;D<br> I don't know what was going thru FZ's mind with the<br>Money & Ruben albums? I thought the new bass & drum<br>trax sucked!

Post subject: re: my wish
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 6:01 pm 

[quote author=Lorenzo1950 link=board=wishList;num=1060472973;start=0#0 date=08/09/03 at 16:49:33]....I realize FZ authorized the new releases but I like the originals.[/quote]<br>[quote author=HoranceCornsnaps link=board=wishList;num=1060472973;start=0#5 date=08/11/03 at 20:26:39] ... I don't know what was going thru FZ's mind with the<br>Money & Ruben albums? I thought the new bass & drum<br>trax sucked![/quote]<br>rumor was that the original tapes were crumbling or oxidizing or sumthinizing, so frank had to remix, but as arthur barrow said, "how could the oxide be falling off the tape on 1 track but not the other tracks?"<br><br>[quote author=fz link=board=wishList;num=1060472973;start=0#5 date=in goldmine 01/27/89]...[font=times new roman]bass & drums added was not a solution to the tape problem; the tape problem had to be dealt with with a remix, no matter what, the idea of putting digitally recorded bass & drums onto those tracks was a creative decision i made because i've always thought that...we were trapped into that level of technical quality because that's the way the world was then....<br><br>the problem with people who are collectors and purists and stuff like that is, their regard is not for the music, it is for some imaginary intrinsic value of vinyl & cardboard; people who demand to have the original release of this that & the other thing in their original wrapper and all that stuff, that's fetishism & i think that's fine, if you want to be a fetishist & have that kind of hobby, but it is a type of attitude that i don't share when it comes to re-releasing the material<br><br>i think the material should have a chance to sound as good as you can make it sound, given the technical tools that are at your disposal[/font].[/quote]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 2:45 pm 

I was listening to my Hot Rats cd in the car this afternoon. The drum tracks sound a little strange like there may have been some remixes on this too.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 5:35 pm 
Banned

francie_brady wrote:
Then you should buy the 1995 verison that only contains the censorship of harry your a beast.(is there any cersorships on lumpy gravy?) No overdubs.

Actually, other tracks are censored on the 1995 version of We're Only In It For The Money. For instance, on Concentration Moon, "also at the same time I get to work with The Velvet Underground which is as shitty a group as Frank Zappa's group" was cut, and on Mother People, "Better Look Around Before You Say You Don't Care / Shut Yer Fuckin' Mouth About The Lengh Of My Hair / How Would You Survive If You Were Alive, Shitty Little Person" was replaced with "Lemme Take A Minute and Tell You My Plan / Lemme Take A Minute and Tell You Who I Am ... (etc, same as first verse)"

Don't treat me, baby, like your
Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan