Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Listing of FZ Concerts
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 1:56 am 

I am trying to locate a comprehensive (or even uncomprehensive) listing of all of Frank Zappa's shows.  I am trying to cross reference a couple of items.  Specifically, I am interested in show(s) that Frank did in Tuscaloosa, AL (at the University of Alabama) in the early to mid '70s.  Does anybody know of such a list?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 7:34 am 

[quote author=Sebastiaan link=board=wishList;num=1057838175;start=0#1 date=07/10/03 at 05:06:33]I don't know if this is the best and most reliable, but here you have one:<br><br>http://home.swipnet.se/fzshows/FZShowsoverview.html<br><br>regards[/quote]<br><br>Great link - thanks, Seb!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 8:23 am 

Thanks for the link Sebastian.  I don't think that it's a complete listing, though.  I attended a show at the Univ. Of Alabama in the mid-late?? 70's (possibly "up to my eyebrows in chemicals").  I am trying to determine the exact date of the show.  I mean, I know that I went and that I had a great time and that FZ was phenonenal and all that!  The show was held in Foster Auditorium.  That is interesting because that's the place where one-time Govenor George Wallace stood and blocked the doorway during his segregationist period.<br><br>I really just want to find the exact date.  If anybody was there and remembers, please cue me.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 10:02 am 

Jimmie D!  I'm stunned!  Flabbergasted even!  Thanks so much!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 10:04 am 

Now, if I only could get a set list for that show ...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 11:51 am 

here are the two ESSENTIAL links both of which are excellent and fastidiously maintained<br><br>all known tapes in circulation - http://home.swipnet.se/fzshows/index.html<br>all known concerts - http://members.shaw.ca/fz-pomd/giglist/index.html<br><br>dive in!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 3:16 pm 

[quote author=Rusty link=board=wishList;num=1057838175;start=0#3 date=07/10/03 at 11:23:07]Thanks for the link Sebastian.  I don't think that it's a complete listing, though. [/quote]<br><br><br>That list isn't meant to be a complete performance record.... for that you have to consult the gig list link.<br><br><br>FZ shows is a list of shows that a known "unofficial live recording" exists for that particular performance.<br><br><br>

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 5:37 pm 

Confussssion, taht´s the name of this!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 1:55 am 

Hey, maybe it was Morgan Auditorium.  I thought it was Foster, but I couldn't even remember the date!  I was trying to find the "official concert archive" listing.  I really wanted to see what the set list was.  <br><br>The whole evening was pretty spontaneous for me.  I  really didn't even know much about Zappa or his music at that point.   A freind of mine had tickets to see (of all bands) Kiss with Blue Oyster Cult.  That show got cancelled just before it was to take place.  This freind asked me to give him a ride to the place where he bought the tickets (a record store/headshop -Ticketmaster or Ticketron was apparantly not involved) to get a refund.  The store owner didn't have cash for the refund, but offered two tickets to see Zappa that night.  We (he, actually) accepted and we started driving down to Tuscaloosa.  Along the route, as I was driving, my freind told me to hold out my hand.  I did, and I felt a small, round object being placed in my palm.  "M&M", I thought.  I put the round object in my mouth.  It wasn't an M&M, but I swallowed anyway.  "What was that?", I asked.  "Microdot", came the reply.  <br><br>So anyway, the way I see it, folks ... it was a pretty darn interesting show!  <br><br>Thanks again for the detailed responses!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 2:00 am 

I just looked at the official concert listing page.  I don't understand the abbreviations used in the far right column.  Do they indicate that the show might have been taped?  Did Frank allow tapers at his shows?  I just finished reading "Dangerous Kitchen, the Subversive World of Zappa".  It seems like he pretty much frowned on bootleggers.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 5:03 pm 

I've got one that's been bugging me for ages. "The Torture Never Stops" on YCDTOSA 1 is my absolute favourite Zappa performance. It's listed as February 25, 1978, Location: Hemmerleinhalle, Neukirchen, Germany, 15:48 min in the liner notes. <br><br>The problem is that I recently heard "Wanna Buy Some Acid?" and though this is also listed as being from Hemmerleinhalle, Neukirchen, Germany<br>25 february 1978 "The Torture Never Stops" on this is different with Frank getting the stage hands to remove his monitors so the rabid GIs can see him.<br><br>Was there a 2nd show, or does "Wanna Buy Some Acid?" have its dates wrong or is the date on YCDTOSA 1 wrong?<br><br>I am in a state of confusion.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 5:41 pm 

[quote author=frunie link=board=wishList;num=1057838175;start=15#21 date=07/28/03 at 20:03:20]....Was there a 2nd show, or does "Wanna Buy Some Acid?" have its dates wrong or is the date on YCDTOSA 1 wrong?...[/quote]<br>i don't know if there was a 2[sup]nd[/sup] show, but the some people (some people) claim v.1 lists the wrong date on the booklet ...in the v.2 booklet the date is corrected to '78 but not everybody agrees<br><br><br>the poodle play book says it's from '77

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 6:00 pm 

[quote author=slime.oofytv.set link=board=wishList;num=1057838175;start=15#23 date=07/28/03 at 20:41:23]<br>i don't know if there was a 2[sup]nd[/sup] show, but the some people (some people) claim v.1 lists the wrong date on the booklet ...in the v.2 booklet the date is corrected to '78 but not everybody agrees[/quote]<br><br><br>Is Josh still around? This is something that he should get hid teeth into. This was an innaresting time as David Bowie poached Adrian Belew from Zappa while both (standing in the wings) watched FZ launching into an extended guitar romp during one of the German gigs on this tour.