Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:39 am 

Dear all,
I want to ask for your help in choosing a gift related to Frank Zappa for birthday of my husband. He will be 40, it is an important age and I want to gift him something special. He is a big fan of Frank Zappa, and one time he asked me to find any memorabilia of Frank for his birthday. The problem is that I am not good in Frank's biography and I am from Russia — it is impossible to find any Frank's memorabilia in our country. I tried to find something on Ebay, but I always doubt about the truthfulness of things — how can I understand is the Frank's signature real or not? How can I understand is the poster from the concert fake or not?
For example, this poster looks good — https://www.ebay.com/itm/1982-FRANK-ZAP ... :rk:5:pf:0, and the guy who sells it looks like a guy who sells a lot of posters. But I am still in doubt.
Could you please advise — can I trust the poster below? Where can I buy memorabilia? Is there any algorithm to do it?
Thanks in advance! Sorry for possible mistakes — English is not my native language.

Kind regards,
Anna

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:07 am 

If I was you, I'd look for:

Concert program books.

T-shirts(available from this very Zappa site on the web store).

There's a nice set of Frank Zappa guitar picks available from a lot of music stores. There sold in a set in a collectible tin.

The Halloween 77 box set will have him very excited if he doesn't already have it. That will give him a Frank Zappa party disguise and a USB filled with wonderful high quality samples of some amazing Frank Zappa concerts.

The webstore on this site, also has a lot of mugs and other Zappa merchandise that may be of interest.

If he's into guitar and has an electric, then I'd recommend getting him a Pignose portable guitar amp. There not expensive but will have the amazing bonus of being one of the actual amplifiers that Frank Zappa used. In particular you can see Frank play one live on Television 'Mike Douglas Show' live in 1976.

Let me know if there's certain types of memorabilia that you had in mind and I'll let you know what's available. I'm always looking for things.

Oh, one more that will not be sneezed at would be either or both of the 'Beat The Boots' box sets which Frank endorsed and released and feature T-shirt in one and scrap book, beret and badge in the other. They can be pricey though these days as they came out i the early 90's and were limited.

Hope his birthday was a great one and here's to his 41st.