Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:10 am 

My wish for a future release would be a compilation that would "simulate" 1960's -1970's underground radio ....and would include all the MGM / Warner radio commercials that are super-rare along with rare tracks and other radio related items in between! Maybe even simulated DJ talk too(Ahmet....you up for it)?? I think it would make for an interesting slant on the History and Mystery of Frank. Besides ....they just released a few commercials on the Absolutely Freee LP......and it reminded me of this "plan" I thought of a few years ago. Radio-Active United Mutations.......could be a good name, especially since "No Commercial Potential" is already used.

What does everyone think ? Hmmmm.......

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:36 pm 

Ha! I guess no one else would buy a release of all of the Mothers/ Zappa record commercials.....with associated out-takes of music from the albums they advertised? I'd love to hear all of the commercials. Even if this had just previously unreleased live cuts between the commercials it would be pretty interesting. Ah well......bye ,again.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:48 pm 

I'd buy 'em.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:56 pm 

Thanks, KUIII !! At least one vote for this "dream" album of mine! I always wonder if the "family" reads these......hmmmm......?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:12 am 

I'm sure a lot of those commercial spots can be found online. Perhaps you (or someone) could build such a thing yourself? Would be a fun listen, I imagine.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:54 am 

Yes, Threeheadedmonkey , I guess someone could just slap it together. But I'm wishing for a real release here. I've never seen a complete set of the MGM and Warners commercials,.....and never knew of them until I saw them for sale a few at a time on E-Bay(and well beyond my means also!), and heard a few posted somewhere else. I think it would be a very cool CD or vinyl release. Plus I'm not too sure Ahmet can keep on making new and interesting Zappa releases without some help from us speaking as fans. That , I'd bet, is why this board topic even exists.

Can anybody else out there think of some cool , wild, or interesting (nifty tough and bitchin' ) release ideas? Let's get this "idea mill" rolling.....while the Kid's hot (Ahmet...that is).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:31 am 

You know Frank had segments from his Live playing of Lather on KROQ...K_Rock...the Lather release...I started listening to KROQ in the early seventies and even was listening when the FCC shut them down, the reemergence was huge and they were a leading light for anything new Punk, New Wave, etc... and they played FZ and he would come into the station often especially for the Jed the Fish show which was an afternoon show if I recall correctly (wonder what ever happened to him, he was totally cool)...the point being I wouldn't be surprised if they still had tapes of the Zappa visits to the station and Frank tended to record everything they may be in the vault... :idea:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:38 pm 

Plook wrote:
You know Frank had segments from his Live playing of Lather on KROQ...K_Rock...the Lather release...I started listening to KROQ in the early seventies and even was listening when the FCC shut them down, the reemergence was huge and they were a leading light for anything new Punk, New Wave, etc... and they played FZ and he would come into the station often especially for the Jed the Fish show which was an afternoon show if I recall correctly (wonder what ever happened to him, he was totally cool)...the point being I wouldn't be surprised if they still had tapes of the Zappa visits to the station and Frank tended to record everything they may be in the vault... :idea:

See I knew it....if the Family had the right connections this could be a fully functional release idea! C'mon Ahmet.....get this project going......PLEASE!

Last edited by penguini on Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:41 pm 

Plook ,I know Frank guested on a few radio shows over the years. I've had some CD-Rs of two shows where he played a load of his own Doo-wop 45 RPM collection and commented and told stories between tracks....and that would be neat to have some of that released. But I'm sure licensing would get in the way for most of that show.