Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:33 pm 

Hi,

I know that this is a sad discussion, and bootlegs are a lot of artist's enemas, and a subject that moms don't want to discuss with their reindeer! There are times when a bootleg makes sense, and if the FZT does not have the money to make do and master/remix these things to clean them up, then put them up for sale for $5 bux each on a download. I, for one, would probably get 10 of them! Instead of CD's that I will never get and see in my lifetime!

I know that the paranoia bureau will start the rounds and immediately say that only 10 were sold and 151 million copies were made which ripped off the FZT at least a billion dollars!

In the end, this is going to hurt the artist. By the time that one finds out that moer work is done, no one will know or give a damnabout the artist. When Stravinsky died, there were not 342 tapes of concerts in there that FZ never even heard or had a chance to listen to, but there are many folks that know damn well that some of the shows were way better than many albums ... but why is the family making this such a secret?

And there is some technology that does not allow you to copy something ... (try doing it to a Windows disk!) ... so why is all this secrecy and crap necessary?

Editorial: Soap Box detail: Leave the room now if you don't want to read it!:

Because the so-called FZT does not really know what to do with all the music they have and how to present it. And the folks in there are nothing but yesman, or yesladies, that are just fans and oldfashioned hanger's on, and they do not know music from the notes any more than they know anything else except Gail's feelings.

I understand Gail's feelings. I have the same, almost similar issue in our family, except that what is being "published" is dirty laundry, and not music or (in this case) writing! And there will never be a nickel for the children ... or anything to gain from it, because the California State laws on trusts and family stuff are doing their best to kill the whole thing so they can rip the taxes "they deserve". In the end, this is not about the music but how the state is going to screw you up good ... and it would make better sense if Gail saw that before it is too late and the children can ot get anything of value out of it. Not to mention that the technology that gave us "tape" is almost all gone, and a lot of that stuff will be dead and gone and wasted, before anyone even hears anything!

With apologies for the family, as I am for the art and the artist surviving. But face it ... we're not finding any new music by Bach, Mozart or Beethoven or Stravinsky. Stop wasting your time hiding!

And, if like me, there is no money? ... I still say ... thank you ... I love you ... for having been given a chance to even bring out something that folks can love and appreciate. Not many humans in this world get to do that and learn to look in the mirror and have a good cry and then smile! I did it. Thank you! Good night!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:27 am 

Moshkito, I appreciate your thoughts. And I would like to respond to them accordingly.
Sadly... I am in the chamber - up to my eyeballs in issues.
Nothing that can't be sorted/figured out sooner or later. Ya know?
Either way, I will keep my fingers in the soil. Thank you for your patience!

Ron

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:36 am 

I am always hopeful that Road Tapes 3 will be the Hot Rats band. I do have a bootleg (on vinyl no less. . . sssh.) that has been in heavy rotation here since i bought it way back in 1978. This may have to do.

Last edited by sarbeez on Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:16 am 

Perhaps.

Ron