Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 494 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:09 pm 

[quote author=Arkay link=board=tv-film;num=1052789170;start=420#427 date=03/07/06 at 14:16:05]OK, this probably won't translate really well, but I'll give it a shot...<br><br>For me, Peeping Tom is a study in documentation.  As someone who loves to record, I instinctively respond to the lead character.  It generally creates more questions than answers, but for me, that is the nature of a great film.  It makes me take a new look at myself and the world around me.  Here's some questions that Peeping Tom raises:<br><br>1.  Why do I like to record audio?<br>2.  What makes an authentic performance?<br>3.  What elements of performance combine to create believability or high levels of intensity?<br>4.  How is pleasure translated across medium?<br>5.  How is perspective slanted to face a subject for documentation and how does that relate artistically?<br>6.  What effect does surprise or lack thereof have on the reception of a recorded document?<br>7.  Can emotion be "acted" (performed in song etc... ) without actually invoking the desired emotion and/or Is simply performing an emotional piece "close enough" (playing all notes "correctly" ect...)  so why go farther?<br>8.  Where does Fear rate in the inventory of emotions?<br>9.  How far should one go for their art/science?<br>10.  How much of art/science is compulsory and/or voluntary?<br>..............[/quote]<br><br>Yes RK, you make some terrific points. I too am a fan of Powell (although I enjoy his work from the 40s & 50s with Pressburger even more) I saw Peeping Tom most recently about three weeks ago.<br><br>In response to a few of your questions.<br><br>3. As silly as it sounds, I think its partly based in mathematics among numerous other elements. Just as some faces are concidered universally beautiful or ugly, the same may be said for a great scene depending how the elements are combined.<br><br>6. The effect would be on the viewer/listener and not the mode of recording, if I understand the question correctly.<br><br>8 Fear is one of THE most important emotions. All the way back to primitive mankind. Years ago I got into a friendly dispute with a woman about the importance of that emotion. Not to cause fear, but to respect and acknowlege that emotion. She felt that fear was a  worthless emotion. A fearless person is an ignorant person. This may be why I don't ride grizzley bears.Fear is also tied in with the survival instinct and the gut feeling telling you that you may not be entering a good situation. Conquere, or work with your fear and you will do much better in a survival situation.<br><br>9 Some directors make it a point to put their actors on an emotional rollarcoaster for a stronger performance. Kubrick/McDowell & Herzog/Kinsky spring to mind.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:27 pm 

Image<br>Image<br>Image<br>&<br>Image<br><br>   I really enjoyed ALL of these films this past weekend and reccomend all of them. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:49 am 

[quote author=Isaac link=board=tv-film;num=1052789170;start=420#425 date=03/07/06 at 12:28:03]I saw "The Dreamers" (NC-17 version) last night. Excellent film. Good to find something like this once in a while. 8)[/quote]<br><br>what is the dreamers about, i've heard about it but no one has been able to explain it to me

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:58 am 

[quote author=Arkay link=board=tv-film;num=1052789170;start=420#431 date=03/07/06 at 15:44:25]<br>..........<br>I don't know Powell specifically.  I guess I'll have to look him up on IMDB cuz I have no idea what other movies he made. [/quote]<br><br>Try this one, made in 1947....A Matter Of Life And Death 8)Image I bet you've seen it!!! A Powell/Pressburger collaberation.<br>

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:42 pm 

Image<br><br>I currently have a severely swollen foot, which I've been unable to walk on and I've had sod all to do all day but read and watch DVD's (couldn't bear daytime TV). This is one of the films I watched and boy is Gloria Swanson sinister in it! I love old Hollywood movies, and I really liked this one. Kept me out of trouble for a few hours anyway!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:39 am 

[quote author=aspy_2nd_bunch link=board=tv-film;num=1052789170;start=435#436 date=03/08/06 at 14:42:28]Image<br><br>I currently have a severely swollen foot, which I've been unable to walk on and I've had sod all to do all day but read and watch DVD's (couldn't bear daytime TV). This is one of the films I watched and boy is Gloria Swanson sinister in it! I love old Hollywood movies, and I really liked this one. Kept me out of trouble for a few hours anyway! [/quote]<br><br>Yes this is a realy good one, one of my favorite "noir" films.<br>A friend of me lost my copy, but i now bought another one, hope to get to see it again soon.

"I refuse to become what you call normal"
Lemmy Caution

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:08 am 

Image<br><br>Ok, more of a documentary than a movie, but great nonetheless.......

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:04 pm 

Image<br><br>R-Point<br>War film with ghosts. :o<br>There's a lot of good stuff coming out of Korean cinema just now. Something a bit different.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:48 pm 

Image<br>Good film, all about the Profumo affair. Only thing is, I watched it and then the next day when I got up and was watching the news, it was reported that John Profumo had died during the night that I had watched it...weiiird! OK so it's not that weird but it freaked me out a bit hehe. ;D I have to say as well, Joanne Whalley is beautiful.  8)<br><br>

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:45 am 

What a classic....<br>Image

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:54 am 

[quote author=Fido3 link=board=tv-film;num=1052789170;start=435#441 date=03/11/06 at 14:04:04]Image<br><br>R-Point<br>War film with ghosts. :o<br>There's a lot of good stuff coming out of Korean cinema just now. Something a bit different.[/quote]<br><br>I watch a Korean film a few weeks ago called 'A Brotherhood of War' great film about two brothers caught up in the Korean war and the effects on the family.  8)<br>

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:35 am 

[quote author=aspy_2nd_bunch link=board=tv-film;num=1052789170;start=435#442 date=03/11/06 at 17:48:02]Image<br>Good film, all about the Profumo affair. Only thing is, I watched it and then the next day when I got up and was watching the news, it was reported that John Profumo had died during the night that I had watched it...weiiird! OK so it's not that weird but it freaked me out a bit hehe. ;D I have to say as well, Joanne Whalley is beautiful.  8)<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>I used to live about 3 miles from Cliveden which as you know is where all the action took place. I was only 8 at the time but I remember the reports on the telly and radio...not that it meant much to me then.<br><br>Image<br><br>Christine Keeler...mmmmmmmmmm! ;D<br>

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:05 am 

Police Squad!  :o<br><br>Image  ;D<br><br>Great funny TV-series that only got six episodes.<br><br>This is what started the "naked gun" movies (I guess everyone knows that  ::) )

"I refuse to become what you call normal"
Lemmy Caution

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:04 am 

[quote author=ZardozII link=board=tv-film;num=1052789170;start=435#445 date=03/13/06 at 07:54:13]<br><br>I watch a Korean film a few weeks ago called 'A Brotherhood of War' great film about two brothers caught up in the Korean war and the effects on the family.  8)<br>[/quote]<br><br>Image<br>Was it this one? I'll look out for it, sounds good man.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:41 am 

Sooooo bad, it's good!  Kinda sexy too! :o ;D 8)<br><br>Image<br><br>I got it on the DVD "50 Horror Classics." The digital picture quality is what you'd expect for $.50 per movie (cube-like at times).<br><br>Oh yeah, BILLY: this MUST have been the inspiration for Steve Martin's classic "The Man With Two Brains."<br><br>vcf<br>(In loving memory of Anne Uumellmahaye ;D)

Revel in your otherness. MK

STILL pissed at Tipper. VCF

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:42 pm 

[quote author=Fido3 link=board=tv-film;num=1052789170;start=435#448 date=03/13/06 at 13:04:46]<br><br>Image<br>Was it this one? I'll look out for it, sounds good man.[/quote]<br><br>That's the one. I do believe I saw it on one of the Encore (Starz) channels.  8)<br>

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:14 pm 

Image<br><br><br><br>It is almost certainly best to go into this film with as few expectations as possible, though a bare bones knowledge of the plot line doesn't hurt anything. The movie starts out on a surreal and strange note, as we meet Dae-su. Drunk and belligerent in a police station, it's made clear from the outset that his character is less than savory. Nonetheless, Old Boy is Dae-su's story, and he is such an engaging personality that it's impossible not to be consistently fascinated by the events unfolding onscreen.<br><br>Soon after being bailed out of jail, Dae-su is kidnapped and taken away to a small room where he is kept prisoner for reasons unknown. Although he is uncertain at first how much time has passed, before long he is passing the years (yes, years) by tattooing his arm with a new mark at each anniversary. The television that sits before him shows the world events that have taken place during his lost time. He even sees that his wife has been murdered, and he is the prime suspect. As he waits, he also whittles away the hours by carving an escape route through his wall. Before he can finish at the 15-year mark, though, he is unexpectedly and inexplicably released. And all of this action takes place in the first 20 minutes of the film.<br><br>Once Dae-su is out of his strange prison, his focus naturally becomes revenge against the people who had him placed there. As he rattles off a list of potential perpetrators who might have had reason for wanting to hurt him, it becomes even more apparent that Dae-su is a man with a checkered and dark past. Part of Old Boy's intrigue comes from the fact that we suspect the protagonist is a badass, but we're just not quite sure how or why he is that way.<br><br>The final hour and 40 minutes of the film are spent unraveling the mystery behind why Dae-su was imprisoned, who did it, and the means our hero takes to exact his retribution. However, the movie is far more involved than a simple tale of angry vengeance.<br><br>There's also a scene in the film, where he eats live octopus. Great film.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 494 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next