Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Yellow shark film ending
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:25 pm 

Anyone seen the Yellow Shark film of the concert? It is brilliant but the ending is so strange. After all the applause and admiration for Frank it ends with a few seconds of Frank sitting on a stage box in a darkish room alone looking utterly depressed.<br><br>I found that last scene quite disturbing :(<br>

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:53 pm 

[quote author=Ringo link=board=tv-film;num=1104963928;start=0#0 date=01/05/05 at 14:25:28]Anyone seen the Yellow Shark film of the concert? It is brilliant but the ending is so strange. After all the applause and admiration for Frank it ends with a few seconds of Frank sitting on a stage box in a darkish room alone looking utterly depressed.<br><br>I found that last scene quite disturbing :(<br>[/quote]<br><br>The reason he was sitting on a box looking "depressed" was the fact that he was very ill and tired and just about ready to die from cancer.  It was a very amazing thing that those concerts happened at all and that he lived to see them and participate in them.  It is wonderful footage and at the same time very sad.  But at least Frank got the symphony orchestra that really wanted to perform his works and do them well.  It just highlights what a close thing this was.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:44 pm 

For sure, I understand how ill Frank was and I have the utter most respect for him, I just found that last scene shocking. It comes out of the blue and made me quite sad.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:48 pm 

Image<br><br>Image<br><br><br> "OO"

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:46 pm 

:-/ :-/ :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(<br>Gawd---that face...the weight of the world on his shoulders. He's been everywhere and seen everything...just him and his thoughts...what were they? Most likely, "When can I get the fuck home?" He looks so forlorn. Illness will do that. I'm sure he wanted some time alone....but it makes it look all the more sad. It is amazing that he was even able to get up there and appear to be having a good time, though there are moments where he seems as if he could leave the stage at any time. That picture is so affecting. Damn. Why did he have to have such a painful and drawn-out disease? Why could'nt he have passed in his sleep after telling Gail, "I've just written the most beautiful piece of music."     My eyes are swelling with tears.....

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:50 am 

I was at the Sept 19th Frankfurt  show and saw him leave by the stage door ( hand in hand with Diva) - he was obviously very exhausted and before he came out to get in his limo his bodyguard came out and asked that nobody  use flash photography as it would hurt Frank's eyes - as he got into the back of the limo ( with little Diva beside him )he just closed his eyes as he was drove away -  it would be the last time I would see him alive and I guessed as much on that day .

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:54 am 

Yes, all sad... :'(<br><br>Like maxwebster, I was on the Frankfurt show, too. When Fz walked on stage, I knew he was very ill, but he had such an aura! The admiration of such a diverse audience...It mademe shiver all over.<br>When I heard the music I felt like IS THIS MAN ALIVE OR WHAT???!!!<br><br>Later, in Jan 1994 the German/French TV channel arte showed a documentary and the Yellow Shark film with just that very ending. A friend recorded it for me and said, "You should not watch the ending, Frank is almost crying!" But sure I did and had to cry myself, since FZ had only passed away one month before that broadcast...<br><br>The YS film is one of the may things we need on DVD! Theres aölso good stuff like press conferences and rehearsals footage existing, as far as I know...<br><br>Re: Franks faliure<br>Frank said in the above mentioned docu that he doesnt believe he or his work has changed anything or anybody... I found this untrue and a bit annoying. <br>I mean, look at us here, Frank! We might be sick assholes and deranged fanatics...but you have changed every fucking one of us. And I am sure: changed into a much more funny, thinking, musical, tolerant, confident or- whatever-positive-valued persons!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:34 am 

[quote author=zliq link=board=tv-film;num=1104963928;start=0#12 date=01/11/05 at 06:54:53]Yes, all sad... :'(<br><br><br>I mean, look at us here, Frank! We might be sick assholes and deranged fanatics...but you have changed every fucking one of us. And I am sure: changed into a much more funny, thinking, musical, tolerant, confident or- whatever-positive-valued persons! [/quote]<br><br>So true, Frank was totally wrong on that. Discovering Frank Zappa is one of my life’s finer chapters.<br><br><br>

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:06 am 

I want to see that.  In fact I've never even heard of the film.  Those pictures of Frank are to stay in my mind until I die.  It's a whole new view on the last chapter of Frank's life for me.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:11 am 

It is a brilliant film of the concert and the sound track is lush.<br><br>I know it's a bit weird but I do find franks last years quite fascinating. Knowing what he had to deal with and his ambition to keep doing music. I have so much respect for Frank, beyond words.<br>

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:04 am 

The Yellow Shark Concert film is available on the ARTE web site. 61 minutes.

here http://concert.arte.tv/fr/yellow-shark-de-frank-zappa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:38 am 

Thanks for that link. I watched in on TV in those days and have it on videotape somewhere. Had forgotten how great it was, though I attended the second evening in Frankfurt. And you only get the complete Overture here. Unbelievable musicianship throughout, when you really can see how they seem to play that stuff with so much ease.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:49 am 

The ending was very intense and sad. I'm guessing he was having a "bad day." Did I imagine this,
or was Frank crying at one point? :(

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:57 am 

This scene is very very sad indeed. Won't see it again.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:56 am 

I find it very hard to watch that scene. Damn he was the master of music and seeing him like that is painful.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:33 pm 

NuclearProstate wrote:
I find it very hard to watch that scene. Damn he was the master of music and seeing him like that is painful.

I find it much harder to constantly look at your signature pic:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:46 pm 

:o

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:11 pm 

Thatfabulousalien wrote:

Would love to find a copy of it :smoke:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:27 pm 

Eddie RUKidding wrote:
Thatfabulousalien wrote:

Would love to find a copy of it :smoke: