Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:35 am 

Does anyone know where I could get a copy of the script for this film?

I've seen a copy of a copy on ebay recently going for the insane price of $100 and to me that's WAY to much for a bound photo copy. There must be a PDF or a better source somewhere?

Any suggestions anyone?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:36 pm 

If the ZFT has the original it would be nice if they included it as an insert in a future release. :idea:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:55 am 

A good chunk (all?) of it was posted on www.beefheart.com at one time but doesn't seem to be there any more.

A lot of it was incorporated into 'Them or Us - The Book' - pages 118, 122-138, 180-185, 196 and 217-223.

Again, not sure how complete this is, but it will give you a pretty good idea.

A copy sold for $80 on ebay last May and a google search this morning found one for sale for $43.20. No idea of the reliability of the seller, though.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:48 pm 

I must admit to have never having read "Them Or Us". Is it any good?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:10 pm 

I forgot about this script, I'd love to read it. Why U no release it? :|

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:08 pm 

TwentySmallCigars wrote:
A good chunk (all?) of it was posted on http://www.beefheart.com at one time but doesn't seem to be there any more.

A lot of it was incorporated into 'Them or Us - The Book' - pages 118, 122-138, 180-185, 196 and 217-223.

Again, not sure how complete this is, but it will give you a pretty good idea.

A copy sold for $80 on ebay last May and a google search this morning found one for sale for $43.20. No idea of the reliability of the seller, though.

Many many thanks TwentySmallCigars.

I've read 'Them or Us - The Book' from cover to cover and it sit's proudly on my bookshelf next to 'The Real Frank Zappa' book and others.

For those that have not read 'Them or Us', it's not your typical style book. It's literally an almost spontaneous story that seemed to me to be almost random ideas Frank came up with woven into a book. Strangely it makes extra sense if you've heard the album 'Them or Us' (which I often wondered upon how Frank came up with it's various pieces to make songs out of.) I'm not sure if the book inspired the album or vice versa but either way, the album for some reason makes the book make some kind of sense. Ultimately to me, it was a hilarious comedy and I'm fairly confident that's exactly how Frank wanted it to be taken. Essentially he takes many of his compositions and turns them into a story book and this is what comes out.

It kind of reminded me of those stories where someone would begin it, then another person would add something to it and another and another etc and by the end you have a story which goes in many directions but doesn't ultimately equate to a booker prize winner, it just becomes a fun all over the place kind of story and for this fan, that's exactly what 'Them Or Us' the book is.

However, now I know that 'Captain Beefheart vs The Grunt People' is actually a part of it, I'm convinced that it's a link together for all his works prior to the book. This makes more sense to me now.

I'll have to check out that copy for $43, that seems a lot more reasonable than $100+.

Many thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:30 am 

Thatfabulousalien wrote:
I forgot about this script, I'd love to read it. Why U no release it? :|

I'm with you on this, it has to get out there at some point. There is enough allure in the deep-fandom right?