Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 5:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:34 pm 

Had a quick scan through the message board and couldn't see a post about this previously so I thought I'd just share some thoughts on this wonderful title.

OK. First let's get a negative out of the way. Sadly this DVD is no longer in production and hence why it took a long time to finally find a copy that wasn't a million and one dollars. Let me just tell you it was worth the wait. Now for a positive point. The amazing Youtube seems to have most of this feature available to watch online.

For those who are not aware, this DVD brings together 5 amazing drummers who have a good 1.5 hours+ chat about Frank Zappa, how they had to audition, what Frank meant to them and share some wonderful stories of life on the road and what it was like performing with the great composer.

This was surprisingly wonderful as I've enjoyed the performances that I've seen or heard from all of these wonderful drummers in particular the incredible Ruth Underwood and Terry Bozzio. However all of these drummers provided incredible new features to Frank's music and sitting there watching it had me spell bound at the tales and banter about Frank Zappa and being a musician for his bands. It was like a fans wet dream to be able to listen to these great musicians chat about there experiences, life on the road and what they went through to get in the band etc. There's a lot of goodness to be found here for all Zappa fans and if I ever meet Mr Bozzio, I'll be thanking him profusely for putting this terrific production together. All drummers have a really great time and essentially this is like a catch up chat and probably how they would have chatted when out the back rehearsing etc. Truly great to see and hear.

Then the amazing performance featuring 4 of these 5 drummers takes place and oh mammy nuns, it's a knock out. I personally enjoyed it because I ended up plugging in my guitar and jamming along to it. A 20min+ performance with 4 of the greatest drummers of all time is simply an amazing experience. Chester Thompson and Ralph Humphrey surprised me, in particular Chester as he could do so much with the least amount of drums it was spine tingling and it's blatantly obvious why Frank chose these guys. The only other negative was that Ruth isn't in the main performance and this is sadly missed as I feel it would have added some exciting features to the mix, however I get the impression that the guys wanted a power house drum kit performance and in that medium they deliver a power house musical performance that will amaze you. As a guitarist and flautist I'll be honest with you, I tend to just go with drum music and don't listen to it as much as I should but Terry Bozzio and the guys here blew me away. Chad Wackerman floored me as no matter how intense Terry and chester got, he could just work in with them so seamlessly. Meanwhile Ralph adds surprises by changing timings and then the other drummers change with him. An all round treat for the serious Zappa enthusiast that simply should not be missed. I'm not sure what the Youtube version is like but I guarantee you'll want the DVD to have the optimum audio quality for sure and for certain.

Highly recommended and I'm certain you'll learn some interesting new nuggets of music and fan knowledge with this one.

I rate it :D :D :D :D out of :D :D :D :D :D pumpkins, only loosing a pumpkin because of no Ruth Underwood for the power house performance.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:27 am 

Location: Behind a ultra-avant laminated, simulated replica-mahogany desk
The search function is a bitch here. It does not work for short queries. But you should be able to find these two redundant threads. Not there is something wrong with starting over. Anyway, great show, great insights. Lot's of respect for this team:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=27322

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1822

Have you seen this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRiZNOvC5J8