Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat May 25, 2019 9:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Frank on Joe Pyne ????
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:09 am 

This will take you back.  <br><br>Sitting in my neighborhood saloon last evening, the topic turned to classic television (there's an oxymoron for you).  Anyway, the subject was talk shows and someone mentioned Joe Pyne.  He had a syndicated TV talk show in the 1960’s that I recall watching because it was such an oddity, sort of Jerry Springer meets Rush Limbaugh.  Joe was an ultra conservative (what we called a Hawk in those days) who had a rather dogmatic point of view very much like Limbaugh’s.  Additionally, Joe had a wooden leg, a replacement for the one he lost while serving in the military, something he loved to throw in the face of anyone who might suggest that all was not perfect in America.  He had a very combative style and loved to belittle people who didn’t share his political views and was rather accomplished at shouting them down and making them look foolish.  <br><br>The point for sharing this here is that a friend of mine made the comment that Frank had been on the program and was the only person he had ever seen that not only held his own with the combative Pyne, but actually gigged him.  The exchanged he described was Pyne, upon introducing the long-haired Zappa (a complete affront to the conservatives of the day) turns to him and says, "So I guess all this long hair means you a woman."  To which Frank responded immediately, "So I guess that means your wooden leg makes you a coffee table."<br><br>My question is this; did this improbable pairing of polar 60’s personalities actually occur?  If so, does anyone have greater details or better still a copy of the video?  I’d love to know more about this if it actually happened.  <br><br>

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:17 am 

I've read the hair/woman ~ wooden leg/table quote before, it's a pretty famous one, but I've never heard anything about the source of the interview. Your story is great! I hope it's true. It would be even better if an audio copy of it surfaced. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 6:54 pm 

[quote author=boblisity link=board=tv-film;num=1087243791;start=0#0 date=06/14/04 at 13:09:51]... "So I guess that means your wooden leg makes you a coffee table."[/quote]great quote, bobli ;D don't ever remember reading that, don't know of any video clip circulating...evidently it took place in '65; here's some corroboration:<br><br>[quote author=by s. upham, pres.<br>claremont university link=board=tv-film;num=1087243791;start=0#2 date=18-march-99]<br>[center]WOODEN LEG OR TABLE?:<br>THE CHANGING LANDSCAPE OF GRADUATE EDUCATION [/center]<br>....The popular press had called Zappa un-American because of his views on ending the Vietnam War and legalizing marijuana. So here was a promising confrontation: Pyne, the arch conservative, former Marine and combat veteran, poised to lock horns with Zappa, the dope-smoking, expletive spewing, anti-war rocker.<br><br>I don't remember Pyne's exact introduction of Zappa, but I do remember his first question to the shaggy haired, unshaven rock star. He said, “Well, I see you have long hair. You must be a girl.” Without shifting expression, Zappa fired back, “So, I see you have a wooden leg. You must be a table.” Zappa’s flash of wit and humor put both men at ease and set the tone for what I remember to be a wonderful conversation...[/quote]<br><br>
Quote:
From: Héctor Castañeda (December 20, 2001)<br><br>I am a long time Zappaphile.<br><br>The first time I saw him was on a show in the LA area. It was called The Joe Pine show. He was this right wing wind bag who had on guests and would badger them with his right wing bull shit. Well, he mad the mistake of have Frank and MOI with the 3 Cherry Sister on, (who were I think some of the GTO's) Any way they brought a bunch of Freaks in with them, probably from Laurel Canyon or maybe some people from The United Mutations,  and proceded to have a FREAK OUT all over the studio. <br><br>I was pretty young and dumb then but it was the best thing I ever saw. If you can imagin the face of Joe Pine when his studio filled up with freaks dancing all over his furniture and the cameras it was probably one of the great moments in Los Angeles television. WOW I wish they had that on tape. Just thought you would like to hear the story. Sincerly John Titter.<br><br>It must have been 1965 as I was still pretty nieve!!!!!<br><br>From: DrCJPine (May 2, 2004) The person writing about the Joe Pyne show had the wrong spelling. It is P-y-n-e.
<br><br>

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 5:52 pm 

Wow! I never heard of the guy, but finally there's a name to that quote now. ;D<br><br>  Speaking of weird tv personalities. <br>There was this one guy with beard who smoked a cigar.<br>Zappa mentioned him on Arsenio Hall one time, and did<br>an impression of him. "I'm not going to say another word, until those phones ring," and Zappa stared at<br>the camera. That dude actually did that act! <br>  Forget his name; he was an entertaining as Jimmy<br>Swaggart in his prime.....speaking in tongues. etc.  ;D<br>

Post subject: re: frank on arsenio
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 7:03 pm 

horance cornsnaps wrote:
"... until those phones ring," and Zappa stared at the camera ...

hall: what kinda time we got....30 seconds...wow..i can't do nothin' in 30 seconds

fz: let's just sit here then

hall: yea

fz: ya know there's...we'll do like gene scott does

hall: eh...my name is gene scott

fz: i'm not going to say anything until you send in that money on this program ... [frank stares at camera & raises one eyebrow]

hall: heh heh heh....how about it for frank zappa, thanks for comin, man... we'll be right back with edie mcclure of the hogan family ...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:04 pm 

Hi, I think here she was not talking about the coffee table, she was talking about console table which you can see as an example here https://www.clicknbuyaustralia.com/console-tables/ btw newly arrived here from Sydney Australia.