Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Eat That Question
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:30 am 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
Eat That Question was screened in Wellington as part of the New Zealand International Film Festival, they had programmed a measly four showings which all sold out, so they added another two which both sold out on the same day they were added :shock: who new there were so many Zappa fans in Wellington.

Great movie, I really enjoyed it, I couldn't wipe the smile off my fan boy face, it was soooo good to see and hear Frank on the big screen, I'm guessing most of us on the forum have seen and or own around 80% of the footage used in the doco, this is not a criticism, the whole thing was really well put together with an excellent selection of music. Lots of laughs in the theatre, the cheesy version of Bobby Brown just about killed me :mrgreen: Some of Franks responses had an almost hypnotic effect on me/us. When the movie ended nobody moved for a good two or three minutes, just sat there like stunned mullets, as though we were trying to take in what we had just seen and heard. Usually in this fast paced little city at the first hint of the credits a whole bunch of people are running for the doors. Weirdly everybody just sat right through to the very end, it could have been as a result of the music or as a result of ninety relentless minutes of Frank telling it like it is and demanding that we wake up and pay attention :lol: .....the "For Gail" in the credits got a couple of boos from some well informed people :oops: .....

So if you, yes you, if you get the chance to go and see this movie, go and see this movie...you'll love it, it's a way of life :wink:

PS: I'll be pre ordering the dvd...for when it comes out in the year 3000.....Now, what will Alex Winter produce?
…so your audience didn't miss the Easter Egg at the end of the credits. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:11 pm 

Mr. Nice Guy wrote:
Gray_Ghost wrote:
Eat That Question was screened in Wellington as part of the New Zealand International Film Festival, they had programmed a measly four showings which all sold out, so they added another two which both sold out on the same day they were added :shock: who new there were so many Zappa fans in Wellington.

Great movie, I really enjoyed it, I couldn't wipe the smile off my fan boy face, it was soooo good to see and hear Frank on the big screen, I'm guessing most of us on the forum have seen and or own around 80% of the footage used in the doco, this is not a criticism, the whole thing was really well put together with an excellent selection of music. Lots of laughs in the theatre, the cheesy version of Bobby Brown just about killed me :mrgreen: Some of Franks responses had an almost hypnotic effect on me/us. When the movie ended nobody moved for a good two or three minutes, just sat there like stunned mullets, as though we were trying to take in what we had just seen and heard. Usually in this fast paced little city at the first hint of the credits a whole bunch of people are running for the doors. Weirdly everybody just sat right through to the very end, it could have been as a result of the music or as a result of ninety relentless minutes of Frank telling it like it is and demanding that we wake up and pay attention :lol: .....the "For Gail" in the credits got a couple of boos from some well informed people :oops: .....

So if you, yes you, if you get the chance to go and see this movie, go and see this movie...you'll love it, it's a way of life :wink:

PS: I'll be pre ordering the dvd...for when it comes out in the year 3000.....Now, what will Alex Winter produce?
…so your audience didn't miss the Easter Egg at the end of the credits. 8)

the secret word for tonight is bacteria :mrgreen:

the "easter egg", which I don't think I had seen before, got some laughs.........

I'm seriously considering flying up to (the hell hole that is) Auckland to see it again......

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:58 am 

Mr. Nice Guy wrote:
I looked up the movie at IMDb, and they only had FZ listed under Cast, so I've listed an additional 50 cast members.

All appearances throughout the entire film are sourced from archive footage. (there are 5 entries still awaiting approval)

Here's the link :arrow: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5275830/combined
I've added several more cast members, crew members, and TV show references to the IMDb page.

I had to create a page for Senator Hawkins. Among other things, I included a personal quote, some trivia, and her date of death, which occurred on the 4th of December, the same as FZ.

An exchange between US Senator Hawkins and FZ during 1985's Record Label Hearings of the Senate's Commerce Committee.
Senator Hawkins: I would be interested to see what toys your kids ever had.
Frank Zappa: Why would you be interested?
Senator Hawkins: Just as a point of interest.
Frank Zappa: Well, come on over to the house. I will show them to you.

As of yesterday, the film had a rating at IMDb of 7.7 out of 10.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:22 am 

So, I saw this....here in Vegas...
Sooooo.... what did YOURS TRUELY think of "Eat That Question"?
Not bad....
Reminded me of "John Lennon: Imagine" from 1988.
Nice overview, moves at a nice pace.
Good introduction to the man for all those interested....
Speaking of.... there were only 4 other people in the theatre with me.
Two young women, one young man, and one 'older' man.
Hard to tell how 'into' it they were, or if they were even fans coming in.
One thing's for sure:
All four of them laughed hard during the "Approximate"---- "For the mouth"!
That '88 footage....hmmm-mmm!
Never saw the "LSO" footage either.... so, I really liked it.
I think the crowd liked it, too....
The perfect move: playing the "Jazz From Hell" version of "G-Spot.."(with that stupid video from "Video From Hell"), then showing the Ensemble Modern play it!
So, as the credits rolled, I started to walk towards the exit. I stopped just before the hallway to the exit, just in case.
Just as the 'young girl' who was about to sweep up the theatre (like she would have anything to do), she stopped where I was. Then, the credits began to play the arpeggios from the beginning of "Let's Make The Water Turn Black". I turned to her, and, right on cue, I sang along to her:
"Now, believe me when I tell you that my song is really true,
I want everyone to listen and believe,
It's about some little people from a long time ago,
and, all the things the neighbors didn't know...."
She gave me a 'half-smile, half-'you're crazy'' look as I walked out...
One can only hope that ALL movie theatre 'sweeper-uppers' all over the country will slowly become Zappa fans!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:43 pm 

Saw it last night. My group of three and one other person in theater.

It was ok. Great seeing FZ on big screen. Some interviews I hadn't seen. The Gangle interview always chokes me up.

I can't remember. Was this the doc that showed the unseen 76-77 footage in the trailer? (Bwana dik shirt and Ohearn). Anyway didn't see any of that footage in it except maybe a snapshot of it at one point.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:51 pm 

vince_de_wild wrote:
The perfect move: playing the "Jazz From Hell" version of "G-Spot.."(with that stupid video from "Video From Hell"), then showing the Ensemble Modern play it!

So, as the credits rolled, I started to walk towards the exit. I stopped just before the hallway to the exit, just in case.
I was lucky enough to catch Ensemble Modern on the very first night they ever played in North America back in the late '90s. That night they performed at the Kennedy Center in Washington, DC. Their last number of the evening was G-Spot Tornado. They may not have expected to play an encore because, for an encore, they played G-Spot Tornado, again.

Didja walk out prior to the conclusion of the credits? If so, ya missed another clip of FZ. 8)

IMDb rating has slightly risen to 7.8 out of 10.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5275830/combined

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:49 pm 

By the looks of things, I'll have to wait till a Bluray release until I can see it. SIGH!!!!!
Australia seems to be a backwater when it comes to releases like this.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:18 pm 

Went out and saw it last night. Very good. Most of the footage I had seen before via youtube, but some of it was new to me and overall the movie has a good flow to it. The constant throughout is on Frank as a composer over rock legend, which is why there's a lot of focus on 200 Motels, the Royal Albert Hall fiasco, LSO sessions & Ensemble Modern. It seems the unseen '77 footage we saw on the trailer didn't make the cut. Film pretty much goes from 200 Motels era to the '80s with the exception of some Baby Snakes footage of DinahMoe, which you almost knew had to get thrown in somewhere :|
Once the '80s arrive the main topics are of course PMRC, LSO, synclavier, and '84 tour. I could have done without the DHBIM footage of Tinseltown & instead had those minutes devoted to the underrated masterpiece that is Thing-Fish, and all press surrounding that controversial release. But then again the filmmaker here is looking for some commercial potential. :lol:

I doubt I'll buy the DVD, unless there is a ton of concert footage of full songs not already released. That said, the '73 Stockholm & '70 Paris footage looked amazing, and all I could think of was how bad that stuff needs to be officially released. The very end also reminds me that I really want The Rage & The Fury, mostly for the audio.

Last edited by Fred_Zappelin on Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:38 pm 

Spaceresearcher wrote:
By the looks of things, I'll have to wait till a Bluray release until I can see it. SIGH!!!!!
Australia seems to be a backwater when it comes to releases like this.

It was screened as part of the NZ International Film Festival here, got any film festivals happening in your area Spaceresearcher?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:14 pm 

My only wish would be that this movie had come out ten years ago or so...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:20 am 

She looks like a Valley Girl! Basic Instinct star Sharon Stone wears colourful dress and shades to Frank Zappa film premiere.

More here. Image http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... miere.html

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:22 am 

I went a couple weeks ago at the Oriental in Milwaukee. I thought it was great. The 30 or so other people in the theater seemed to like it too.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:25 am 

DVD (US & Canada only) now available for pre-order.
Scheduled release date: 27 September 2016

https://www.amazon.com/Eat-That-Question-Frank-Zappa/dp/B01IPGM5VC/ref=pd_ys_c_rfy_2644980011_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=5DX3TR3B8SPZ8MNPPQSY

Editorial Review
Told solely through rare and never before seen historic footage of Frank Zappa’s highly acclaimed 30-year career, this unique 90-minute documentary is an energetic celebration of an often outspoken but brilliant musician. Unforgettable Zappa interviews and performances from one of rock and roll’s most legendary self-taught musicians have been painstakingly gathered across decades by director Thorsten Schütte from the obscure vaults of TV stations around the world to create this unparalleled look at one of the brightest minds popular music has ever witnessed.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5275830/combined

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:56 pm 

^^^ $30.99? Yikes!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:53 pm 

ordered

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:08 am 

Need a UK release. Hope its not too expensive as most of the clips can be found on youtube.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:34 am 

Saw it Saturday with KU and AG and it is not so much the fact that the material has been seen before, it is the way that it was put together, AG who likes what Zappa she has been exposed to so far (not everything but most) was completely intrigued and found it to be excellent...her exact words were.."it sticks with you whichis usually the sign of a good movie. I never realized how much of a guineas Frank was, and he was very good looking".

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:21 am 

I E-mailed the European Distributors of the film. They replied that it will not be shown in Theaters in France.
It will be shown at a film festival in "La Roche sur Yon" in october and at the "Etrange Festival" in Paris in mid september...
A shortened version will be shown on ARTE (which co-financed the movie), in the near future.
A DVD will be available in Europe in 2017.

Post subject: re: eat that question
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:19 am 

kuii wrote:
^^^ $30.99? Yikes!

price reduced, $22

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:06 am 

Location: Behind a ultra-avant laminated, simulated replica-mahogany desk
It is not everyday that you get Zappa in the front page of Brazilian papers:

Documentário sobre o músico Frank Zappa abre o festival In-Edit, em SP

O festival In-Edit Brasil, mostra anual de documentários musicais, chega a sua oitava edição exibindo logo na abertura um filme que, de certa forma, subverte esse gênero cinematográfico.

O público está acostumado a louvar documentários que consigam mostrar cenas inéditas. Assim, exercem atração até em quem já conhece a pessoa ou o assunto retratado na tela.

Mas o diretor alemão Thorsten Schütte fez um filme na contramão dessa cartilha, "Eat That Question - Frank Zappa in His Own Words". Durante oito anos, ele pesquisou entrevistas de Frank Zappa para emissoras de TV no mundo todo. Com edição inteligente de trechos, construiu um perfil matador do músico americano.

O público que comparecer ao CineSesc na noite dessa quarta (outras datas de exibição do filme podem ser encontradas) vai ver como Zappa mantinha sua verve ácida diante de qualquer tipo de entrevistador. Ele consegue inserir a mesma crítica mordaz participando tanto de produções intelectualizadas como de atrações de auditório cafonas e divertidas.

O diretor quis evitar o formato de documentário no qual críticos, amigos e parentes da pessoa retratada perfilam suas opiniões. A certeza de que ninguém melhor que o próprio Zappa poderia explicar sua personalidade fez Schütte assistir a centenas de horas de material.

Mesmo sem textos introdutórios, o documentário tem um tom didático. Abrange desde uma aparição televisiva "pré-histórica", com Zappa "tocando" uma bicicleta –de cabelo curto e ainda sem o bigodão que o caracterizou, ele batuca nas rodas da bicicleta–, até entrevistas mais amargas, próximas de sua morte, em 1993, aos 52 anos, de câncer na próstata.

"Quanto mais eu mergulhava nessas declarações, um Zappa diferente se tornava mais visível", conta Schütte. "O roqueiro revolucionário de músicas incendiárias dava lugar a um homem sensível e intelectual, um pensador discutindo os limites da música, da arte e da moral."

Zappa questiona em vários momentos a posição de um artista tentando seguir seu código de ética dentro de uma indústria regida pelo lucro. Entre declarações contundentes, trechos dele tocando sua mistura particular de rock, jazz e música clássica dão a trilha sonora.

Em um momento do filme, Zappa se define simplesmente como alguém que quer entreter a plateia. Schütte concorda. "Eu assisti a muitos shows dele, por 20 anos, e nunca saí desapontado. Zappa tinha muito humor."

O diretor sabe que é difícil a geração mais jovem ter interesse em Zappa. "Talvez o maior legado dele seja a conexão de sua vida e sua música com questões existenciais com as quais lidamos o tempo todo. Se algum jovem for fisgado por isso, como eu fui, tudo vai valer a pena."

http://www1.folha.uol.com.br/ilustrada/2016/09/1810890-no-in-edit-brasil-cinema-paga-tributo-a-frank-zappa-usando-imagens-de-tv.shtml

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:00 am 

Does anyone remember the title of the Varese piece that Frank conducts toward the end of the movie?
Is it Integrales? Is that recording available?

Exit, stage left

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:49 pm 

The_Acadian_2 wrote:
A shortened version will be shown on ARTE (which co-financed the movie), in the near future.

Why the fuck should that be a shortened version !?! :(

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:38 pm 

Strummer wrote:
Does anyone remember the title of the Varese piece that Frank conducts toward the end of the movie?

Exit, stage left

Ionisation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:43 pm 

zappahead311 wrote:
Strummer wrote:

Exit, stage left

Ionisation

Thanks! I really liked that little clip. I'll have to get a version of it. I think Ensemble Modern did some Varese - they seem like a good bet.

Exit, stage left

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:29 pm 

Strummer wrote:
zappahead311 wrote:
Strummer wrote:

Exit, stage left

Ionisation

Thanks! I really liked that little clip. I'll have to get a version of it. I think Ensemble Modern did some Varese - they seem like a good bet.

Exit, stage left

Here ya go https://www.ensemble-modern.com/en/shop/92d

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next