Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 505 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 21  Next
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:10 pm 
Banned

brainpang wrote:
I'm guessing that CD isn't the actual Roxy Soundtrack. It's just a teaser/promo, a freebie tossed into the dvd package. The REAL one will come out later with all the attention it deserves.

One Hopes!

Also, now that they left Duprees/Montana off, it does beg the question: what else was presentable and dropped? Because it definitely shoulda been on the release, as a bonus or whatever. Maybe, just maybe there will be a hardcore version down the line?

No it's not a promo/teaser. The DVD is also sold separately and the CD/DVD combo costs more.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:00 pm 

I'm concerned about the 'Don't Eat the Yellow Snow' / Father O'Blivion tracks. Since they don't indicate that this is the (far superior) Farther O'Blivion, I'm worried that it might just be the first two movements of the 'Yellow Snow' suite with the (better) movements left off. They did this with the Halloween 78 DVD-A. I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

Also, not impressed that 'Montana' and 'Dupree's Paradise' (and even the 'Cheepnis' video) are not included on this set, especially on the blu-ray, where there would be more than enough room for them.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:10 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:
brainpang wrote:
No it's not a promo/teaser. The DVD is also sold separately and the CD/DVD combo costs more.

Like three dollars more? Nah, this ain't the Soundtrack. And it has a ton of the same titles as Proxy.

Time will tell.

PS The ZFT better tell us what's up ASAP after Labor Day before someone has a nervous breakdown...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:23 am 

OK the fucker is coming out, I am ready to be happy even if disappointed. I may not buy both, but i am an idiot and probably will because it want it so much and I pray it matters. Look this is the deal. and I can live with an underwhelming ROXY Movie if it is true that they will begin a regular release schedule. I ain't going to hate it, that's fer sure.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:45 pm 

Behold, the new 2015 trailer: http://youtu.be/wQG3JLxfLdc

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:52 pm 

The Idiot Bastard wrote:

That was hella cool... :!:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:53 pm 

Thanks, TIB, this will be most definitively cool.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:06 pm 

The Idiot Bastard wrote:

Nice! 8)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:39 pm 
Banned

Killer. I'm shitting my pants.

Fucking great trailer.

Who's doing the narrating?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:32 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:

Exactly how is that different from any other day, you old poop-pants bastard!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:57 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:

Fucking great trailer.

Who's doing the narrating?

It sounds like Ahmet to me, just a guess though.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:51 am 

The Idiot Bastard wrote:

Fuck that is awesome!!! And Full HD looks superb. Definitely a Blu Ray worthy quality.

"Coming Soon" :roll: :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:58 am 

HJ wrote:
The Idiot Bastard wrote:

Definitely a Blu Ray worthy quality.

Really? It looks a bit fuzzy to me.
Still looks great tho', don't get me wrong.
I don't know jack about blu-ray, but can't it accentuate flaws in the source material?

Last edited by brainpang on Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:01 am 

KUIII wrote:
It looks like FZ to me. More so than the 200 Motels poster anyway.

Whaaa? I've always loved that one. It's FZ as Serious Composer & Mad Scientist, the Varese look.
Which is probably the direction they should have gone to make the CONQUERED concept work.
Whatever!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:28 pm 

This will be awesome. Yeah, would like the deluxe 3+ hour version too of course, but it will have to do for now. Anyone flipping out about this needs to get a life.
I'd bet at some point in the next year or two we'll get the big enchilada ROXY. I don't mind the artwork, it's funny.

Will go with the DVD/CD combo. Have no interest in Blu-Ray, and wish that medium would just die off. Having the CD included is nice, you can play it in your car stereo. Just picked up the Stones - From The Vault: Marquee Club '71 DVD/CD combo. I like having the CD for that reason. Looks to be some overlap from "Proxy", but for the few extra bucks, I'll take it.

Where the fuck is Dummy Up? Will it forever be only on "True Story Of 200 Motels"? And how 'bout the DVD of that?

One last thing: this is in stores the same day as Hendrix - Electric Church DVD(Atlanta '70 docu) :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:48 pm 

I'm going to suffer with the Blu Ray, with it's shitty 1080 resolution and awful DTS-HD Master Audio.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:14 pm 
Banned

calvin2hikers wrote:
I'm going to suffer with the Blu Ray, with it's shitty 1080 resolution and awful DTS-HD Master Audio.

LMAO!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:51 pm 

Fred_Zappelin wrote:
Where the fuck is Dummy Up?

This is what baffles me about this release. Why have I been so wound up all these years about getting the Roxy film? Because way back in the '80s, I saw that clip of "Dummy Up" in the True Story of 200 Motels video and it knocked me out. After so many years of loving the Roxy LP, and knowing every word and inflection of that routine by heart, I couldn't believe I was actually seeing it as it happened! And even seeing the little bits they cut out for the record! And there was the promise of seeing the whole thing! So now where is it? With all the weird excuses about the technical hurdles that had to be overcome before releasing the film, there's a segment that we know was already worked on, already looked and sounded fine, and was already planned for inclusion. So why, in the end, leave it out? It makes no sense.

Don't get me wrong, this is still going to be fucking great and I'm really stoked to get it, but there's no getting around the fact that it's considerably less than it could and should be.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:23 pm 

brainpang wrote:
HJ wrote:
The Idiot Bastard wrote:

Definitely a Blu Ray worthy quality.

Really? It looks a bit fuzzy to me.
Still looks great tho', don't get me wrong.
I don't know jack about blu-ray, but can't it accentuate flaws in the source material?

Probably it can. Just like an uncompressed FLAC audio file can reveal flaws in a sound source you never noticed in a compressed MP3 file. Similarly, when I get new and stronger glasses, I notice that I look even uglier than before.

16mm film will under normal circumstances have a higher resolution than what Blu Ray offers, but camera quality, lightning, treatment of film, etc. plays a role. Many modern TV shows are shot in 16mm and looks superior in full HD compared to DVD. Given a source, I really don't think a DVD will ever look better than a Blu Ray unless someone seriously fucks up the transfer to the latter.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:07 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:

Already have that one on pre-order.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:47 pm 

HJ wrote:
brainpang wrote:

Probably it can. Just like an uncompressed FLAC audio file can reveal flaws in a sound source you never noticed in a compressed MP3 file. Similarly, when I get new and stronger glasses, I notice that I look even uglier than before.

16mm film will under normal circumstances have a higher resolution than what Blu Ray offers, but camera quality, lightning, treatment of film, etc. plays a role. Many modern TV shows are shot in 16mm and looks superior in full HD compared to DVD. Given a source, I really don't think a DVD will ever look better than a Blu Ray unless someone seriously fucks up the transfer to the latter.

Sounds good. As far as I know I have never seen a flick on blu ray. And now I've discovered that the player I bought a few months ago is in fact a BR player. So I guess I know what I'm going to buy now regarding Roxy. Lame? Maybe.

Post subject: re: roxy trailer
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:21 pm 

cool trailer, cool cover art; is there a shipping date on the pre-order ¿

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:29 am 

brainpang wrote:
HJ wrote:
brainpang wrote:

Sounds good. As far as I know I have never seen a flick on blu ray. And now I've discovered that the player I bought a few months ago is in fact a BR player. So I guess I know what I'm going to buy now regarding Roxy. Lame? Maybe.

You are in for a treat. I can hardly watch a DVD anymore, being accustomed to Blu Ray. It is like when DVDs came out, your VHS tapes suddenly looked way worse than you thought. :lol:

Post subject: Re: re: roxy trailer
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:50 am 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
cool trailer, cool cover art; is there a shipping date on the pre-order ¿

October 30, 2015

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:08 am 

HJ wrote:
You are in for a treat. I can hardly watch a DVD anymore, being accustomed to Blu Ray. It is like when DVDs came out, your VHS tapes suddenly looked way worse than you thought. :lol:

May I not get addicted. I already have a music collecting problem. Guess that's why I've avoided it until... Oct 30, 2015?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 505 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 21  Next