Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 504 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:24 am 

Shrewnews wrote:
Goddammit, my copy was delivered yesterday...SOMEWHERE. Signed for by someone named Marshall. There's no Marshall here. Fucking UPS!

Finally got my copy! I called UPS and found out that it was delivered to some biotech company in South San Francisco, absolutely no relation to where it should have gone. But they wouldn't do anything about it and told me to contact Amazon. Amazon will just issue a replacement or a refund, which is unfair as the loss of the package wasn't their fault. Fortunately, I told my story to the friendly UPS driver who delivers to our office, and he was able to retrieve the package! Roxy is on my desk now. Also in the package was the Zappa and Jazz book. Yay!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:17 pm 

Glad it worked art fer ya...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:51 pm 

OK. Waited 12 years. Got it. Watched it a couple of times. It's cool I guess - a video of Roxy & Elsewhere (a little more and a little less). Glad it's available and that I got it but where does this really stand in the grand scheme of all things Zappa (especially considering all the hype, hoopla, angst, anxiety, and anger expended over this piece of plastic). It might make my top 30.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:47 am 

KUIII wrote:
OK. Waited 12 years. Got it. Watched it a couple of times. It's cool I guess - a video of Roxy & Elsewhere (a little more and a little less). Glad it's available and that I got it but where does this really stand in the grand scheme of all things Zappa (especially considering all the hype, hoopla, angst, anxiety, and anger expended over this piece of plastic). It might make my top 30.

I see where you're coming from and props for saying it... I too in the end thought - I dig it. It's pretty damn cool... but do I get all apeshit in a twist about it? Not really. I appreciate the work that went into putting it together - more -honestly. It is cool seeing what the guys are doing instead of guessing from audio and Frank's solos are cool to see visually though. When it comes to the music its badass - but if I were true to myself - I enjoy the Road Tapes #2 music more.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:41 am 

polydigm wrote:
There are a variety of opinions being expressed about Amazon. From my own experience they have improved vastly. I order mostly from Amazon US, because it ends being the cheapest. I used to have to wait up to a couple of weeks for deliveries to arrive at my place in Australia, but did't mind so much because the postage was far cheaper than daylight robbers like Music Today, who take ages to deliver on top of the exorbitant postage cost.

Now Amazon uses a new delivery system and it's just as cheap or cheaper and gets here in a few days and you can track the delivery. I ordered Roxy Blue Ray after they ran out and they have already given me an updated delivery date promise for the end of next week. They're okay by me.

Ordered from Amazon UK last night. Got mail today, that it comes no later than Wednesday next week. Usually they are actually early - I am looking forward to it. Amazon has so far never disappointed me.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:10 am 

Phlakaton wrote:
KUIII wrote:

I see where you're coming from and props for saying it... I too in the end thought - I dig it. It's pretty damn cool... but do I get all apeshit in a twist about it? Not really. I appreciate the work that went into putting it together - more -honestly. It is cool seeing what the guys are doing instead of guessing from audio and Frank's solos are cool to see visually though. When it comes to the music its badass - but if I were true to myself - I enjoy the Road Tapes #2 music more.

Yep. Road Tapes #2 is really great. One of my favorite posthumous releases.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:35 pm 

The Roxy: The Movie DVD debuted at #4 on Billboard's Music Video Chart in the United States this week! And while I don't have the exact sales figures, that basically means it sold about 1,500 copies...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:39 pm 

Disco Boy wrote:
The Roxy: The Movie DVD debuted at #4 on Billboard's Music Video Chart in the United States this week! And while I don't have the exact sales figures, that basically means it sold about 1,500 copies...

Glad to hear it's doing so well.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:22 am 

On the topic of Amazon, I got notification of shipping on Tuesday morning and that it would be here by Friday and it arrived a day early.

I enjoyed watching this but get exactly where KUIII is coming from.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:08 am 

If you know of the movie Crocodile Dundee, I've never seen it myself, but there's a fairly familiar clip where Paul Hogan is confronted by a knife wielding mugger and he says: "That's not a knife, this is a knife" as he whips out a huge hunting knife. Well, what abut Tom Fowler in this movie? FZ is well known for his smoking antics on stage, but Tom Fowler with that ridiculous cigar seems to be saying: "You call that smoking on stage? This is smoking on stage!". It looks pretty bizarre.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:17 am 

I didn't get that out of the cigar, but then i kinda focused on the music and the musicians playing their instruments. That said I thought the gal doing the sex thing on stage was.....not my thing, didn't add to the concert in any way other than I wanted to say get off the stage, but then FZ seemed to be preoccupied with sexual connotation and humor, and parody there of.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:59 am 

[quote="HJ" Nov 10]Ordered from Amazon UK last night. Got mail today, that it comes no later than Wednesday next week. Usually they are actually early - I am looking forward to it. Amazon has so far never disappointed me.[/quote]

They dropped it off today instead. Bastards! Now I have to watch it already!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:43 am 

I pre-ordered the DVD and received it the day before leaving on vacation! I watched that sucker anyway, and my jaw dropped open for about an hour and a half! I kept thinking about it too! Love the DVD! Who wouldn't!? You get to see Uncle Frankie at his best and enjoying the moment! It was a great time for him and his band! I listened to the CD today and while I liked it, it made me want to watch the DVD again.....and again...and, well you get the idea. If you don't have it, you should! :D :) :D :lol: 8)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:54 am 

I'm Apeshit twisting over this!

Duke and the bass, drums, and FRANK got super-chops; I proclaim Tom Fowler as the original "stunt" (bass) guitarist (and cigar-ist)!

Duke singing the "Lounge Inca Roads," complete with jazz flute/Chariots of the Gods atmospheric intro; and complete command and mastery of the CLASSIC electric keys throughout: clavinet, Rhodes, and ARP. These are the prototype sounds, Mahn!

The double drums??? Yep, I've heard the record and some of the tapes, but seeing it is even better cuz you can see who's doing what, and how each guy's part complements the other's. Ralph plays timpani/vibes on Cheepnis, and cowbells aplenty. Chester's chops??? Sheeit, he even walks in stereo! I always thought of Ralph as the "chops" guy and Chester as the "feel" guy, but they've both got it all

Oh yeah, RUTH UNDERWOOD!!! Uhh . . . video of Tmershi, Redunzl, Dog/Meat, Swifty, and "just" the percussion of Cheepnis; the bubble machine and Brenda!!! FZ guitar chops in TOP form!!!

This is in my Top 1 of FZ videos, and Top 5 of everything FZ (This, Uncle Meat, Hot Rats, Studio Tan, SUNPYG). I haven't been this tickled by an official release since I got the 3 SUNPYG albums in the mail in 1981. 8)

Thanx ZFT and Joe!

Revel in your otherness. MK

STILL pissed at Tipper. VCF

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:31 am 

Must be just me but if i have to compare i like the Dub room concert footage with Chester a little more would be best if the claymation was left out

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:08 pm 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
Must be just me but if i have to compare i like the Dub room concert footage with Chester a little more would be best if the claymation was left out

I think the Dub room (KCET/ATOHE) sounds better, especially the guitar. As far at the footage itself, Roxy all the way. I'll take the audience participation over Claymation any day.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:55 pm 

I agree with that , like i say Dub Room with out claymation , in general the band is very tight, same as YCDTOSA#5

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:30 pm 

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:52 am 

Zaphen wrote:
Zaphen wrote:
I got the DVD / CD but cannot find any hidden icons or the making of Cheepness / Cheepness mini movie

Only on the Blu- Ray?

Any ideas?

Thanks

There are two "Easter eggs" to be found on Roxy: The Movie. Select 'And but also', press up button, click FZ's mustache, and you will see Cheapnis Monster Movie; select Titles>Next>Back, press up button, and click 'sun' icon for sped up footage of the band sound checking. There's also an image of Official Release #101 in the 'Discography' - yes, 200 Motels - The Suites by the Phil is slated for a December 4 release.

Ahhh!!!!

Found the Ceepnis movie, but am having trouble finding the band setup. By "sun icon" do you mean the glowing light thing right at cosmic debris?? When I click on it (select it with my bluray remote) it just starts the movie :?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:52 am 

cozylittlefooties wrote:
Found the Ceepnis movie, but am having trouble finding the band setup. By "sun icon" do you mean the glowing light thing right at cosmic debris??

No, the sun icon is on the next screen. Select the highlight on Chester's drum, just above the "BACK" balloon, and the sun graphic will appear.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:02 am 

Shrewnews wrote:
cozylittlefooties wrote:
Found the Ceepnis movie, but am having trouble finding the band setup. By "sun icon" do you mean the glowing light thing right at cosmic debris??

No, the sun icon is on the next screen. Select the highlight on Chester's drum, just above the "BACK" balloon, and the sun graphic will appear.

Got it... Thanx

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:09 am 

Hey guys it's been a while since I've posted here. Had to reactivate my account. I'm curious about a few things and appreciate all and any helpful responses.

I haven't gotten any FZ stuff since the Road Tapes stuff. I own plenty of FZ albums on CD and stuff but getting busier in my old age (28) and teaching full time I'm not able to dedicate as much time to FZ as I did when I was in college.

What comes on Roxy: The Movie, and is Amazon the only place to get it?
Is it different than Roxy by Proxy?
Am I able to get Roxy by Proxy on Itunes?
Should I get both of these things?

Thanks for your answers.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:44 pm 

evitageN wrote:
Hey guys it's been a while since I've posted here. Had to reactivate my account. I'm curious about a few things and appreciate all and any helpful responses.

I haven't gotten any FZ stuff since the Road Tapes stuff. I own plenty of FZ albums on CD and stuff but getting busier in my old age (28) and teaching full time I'm not able to dedicate as much time to FZ as I did when I was in college.

Thanks for your answers.

Sorry to hear about your affliction that causes you to not be able to use Google.

The Movie and CD:

Blu-ray Track List
1) Cosmik Debris
2) Medley: Penguin In Bondage / T'Mershi Duween / The Dog Breath Variations / Uncle Meat / RDNZL
3) Inca Roads
4) Medley: Echidna's Arf (Of You) / Don't You Ever Wash That Thing / Cheepnis—Percussion
5) Cheepnis
6) Medley: I'm The Slime / Big Swifty
7) Be-Bop Tango (Of The Old Jazzman's Church)
8) Don't Eat The Yellow Snow
9) Father O'Blivion

CD Track list
1) "Something Terrible Has Happened . . . "
2) Cosmik Debris
3) Medley: Penguin In Bondage / T'Mershi Duween / The Dog Breath Variations / Uncle Meat / RDNZL
4) Medley: Echidna's Arf (Of You) / Don't You Ever Wash That Thing / Cheepnis—Percussion
5) Cheepnis
6) Be-Bop Tango (Of The Old Jazzman's Church)

Bonus Features
Additional tracks: (1) Medley: Pygmy Twylyte / The Idiot Bastard Son (2) Dickies's Such An Asshole

Roxy By Proxy:

1. ""Carved In The Rock"" 3:42
2. "Inca Roads" 8:21
3. "Penguin In Bondage" 5:52
4. "T'Mershi Duween" 1:56
5. "Dog Breath Variations / Uncle Meat" 4:14
6. "RDNZL" 5:23
7. "Village Of The Sun" 3:24
8. "Echidna's Arf (Of You)" 4:00
9. "Don't You Ever Wash That Thing?" 5:28
10. "Cheepnis - Percussion" 5:24
11. "Cheepnis" 3:35
12. "Dupree's Paradise" 15:12
13. "King Kong / Chunga's Revenge / Mr. Green Genes" 9:13

No on the Amazon thing and no on the Itunes thing.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:58 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
evitageN wrote:

Thanks for your answers.

Sorry to hear about your affliction that causes you to not be able to use Google.

The Movie and CD:

Blu-ray Track List
1) Cosmik Debris
2) Medley: Penguin In Bondage / T'Mershi Duween / The Dog Breath Variations / Uncle Meat / RDNZL
3) Inca Roads
5) Cheepnis
6) Medley: I'm The Slime / Big Swifty
7) Be-Bop Tango (Of The Old Jazzman's Church)
8) Don't Eat The Yellow Snow
9) Father O'Blivion

CD Track list
1) "Something Terrible Has Happened . . . "
2) Cosmik Debris
3) Medley: Penguin In Bondage / T'Mershi Duween / The Dog Breath Variations / Uncle Meat / RDNZL
5) Cheepnis
6) Be-Bop Tango (Of The Old Jazzman's Church)

Bonus Features
Additional tracks: (1) Medley: Pygmy Twylyte / The Idiot Bastard Son (2) Dickies's Such An Asshole

Roxy By Proxy:

1. ""Carved In The Rock"" 3:42
2. "Inca Roads" 8:21
3. "Penguin In Bondage" 5:52
4. "T'Mershi Duween" 1:56
5. "Dog Breath Variations / Uncle Meat" 4:14
6. "RDNZL" 5:23
7. "Village Of The Sun" 3:24
8. "Echidna's Arf (Of You)" 4:00
9. "Don't You Ever Wash That Thing?" 5:28
10. "Cheepnis - Percussion" 5:24
11. "Cheepnis" 3:35
12. "Dupree's Paradise" 15:12
13. "King Kong / Chunga's Revenge / Mr. Green Genes" 9:13

No on the Amazon thing and no on the Itunes thing.

Thanks -- haha I guess my confusion (Not that I didn't see the track list) was wondering if the shows were the same, was a little unclear to me, but I guess I'll grab Roxy the Movie on Amazon and Roxy by Proxy from Zappa Family Trust.

Thanks again for your time Calvin, good to see you again after so many years :smoke:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:23 pm 

KUIII wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:

Glad to hear it's doing so well.

In most cases when established artists release new material, its debut chart position is its peak position and then it falls off the charts relatively quickly. However, in its second week of release, Roxy: The Movie climbs to #2 on Billboard's Music Video Chart in the United States! And despite still not having the exact sales figures, that means it sold about 2,000-2,500 copies.

Roxy: The Movie's two week US total is between 3,500-4,000 copies sold. And if I were to estimate a current worldwide total, it would be close to 10,000 copies sold. I knew it would outsell all the separate ZFT titles but this is amazing! 8)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 504 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next