Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 430 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 18  Next
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:49 pm 

vaultmeister wrote:
http://www.americancinemathequecalendar.com/content/roxy-the-movie-0

would be great to watch this on the big screen, any London plans?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:40 pm 

To JayP and others:
Where are you pre-ordering from? Amazon might have the best price, but if you pre-order from them you're lucky if you get it a week after release date unless you pay expedited shipping. Fuck the scam that is Amazon Prime.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:44 pm 

Fred_Zappelin wrote:
To JayP and others:
Where are you pre-ordering from? Amazon might have the best price, but if you pre-order from them you're lucky if you get it a week after release date unless you pay expedited shipping. Fuck the scam that is Amazon Prime.

I have amazon prime only because my wife did when she was alive (and that women was a wheeler & dealer) I save a fortune with it, I get all my shipping free as long as there is no third party and 2 day is free if avaliable which it has been for ever purchase but one and I got it the third day...I buy a lot of books, DVD's, CD's, and Audio Books from amazon... :smoke:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:43 pm 

World Premiere!
ROXY: THE MOVIE
2015, Eagle Rock Entertainment, 95 min, USA, Dir: Frank Zappa
A Zappa movie experience unlike any other. Prepare to have your minds and ears blown. Filmed over three nights in December 1973 at the Roxy Theatre in West Hollywood, ROXY: THE MOVIE is a powerful display of this experience, and reveals what made Zappa such a pioneering musical revolutionary. The never-before-released film features the unparalleled composer and guitarist leading one of the most enduring lineups of band The Mothers (including keyboardist George Duke, trombonist Bruce Fowler, flutist Napoleon Murphy Brock, bassist Tom Fowler, drummers Ralph Humphrey and Chester Thompson and percussionist Ruth Underwood) through some of Zappa's most challenging and rewarding music.

Oct. 14th - 7:30pm
Egyptian Theatre
6712 Hollywood Blvd, Los Angeles, California 90028

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:19 pm 

The preorder on Amazon doesn't mention who is producing it, only that it ships from and is sold by Amazon.com. Does this mean that the ZFT has a deal with them or is Universal using them or what? Neither the ZFT nor Universal nor Eagle Rock are mentioned.

The only other site I found with a preorder was in Sweden, but then I haven't looked that comprehensively as yet.

The other thing I don't get is the variability in price.

http://cdon.se/musik/zappa_frank/roxy_t ... e-34907019
229 kr is $38.60 OZ

Amazon UK
£16.99 is $36.07 OZ

Amazon US
$19.99 is $27.78 OZ

If I get from one of these it'll clearly be Amazon US as the difference in price pays for the postage.

Just curious - can anyone from Sweden tell me what släpper means?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:28 pm 

polydigm wrote:
Just curious - can anyone from Sweden tell me what släpper means?

I'm not from Sweden, but, it means "release".

I pre-ordered from http://evo88.com/
which is Hong Kong, apparently.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:38 am 

OK, got it. I had to order a Windows 10 book...don't ask...and Zappa filled my order to 36 dollars. Now I have to find the CD I have not played for 5 years.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:16 am 

I pre-ordered mine from amazon.ca a few weeks ago, which'll be the same product as the U.S.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:08 am 

coevad wrote:
World Premiere!
A Zappa movie experience unlike any other. Prepare to have your minds and ears blown. Filmed over three nights in December 1973 at the Roxy Theatre in West Hollywood, ROXY: THE MOVIE is a powerful display of this experience, and reveals what made Zappa such a pioneering musical revolutionary. The never-before-released film features the unparalleled composer and guitarist leading one of the most enduring lineups of band The Mothers (including keyboardist George Duke, trombonist Bruce Fowler, flutist Napoleon Murphy Brock, bassist Tom Fowler, drummers Ralph Humphrey and Chester Thompson and percussionist Ruth Underwood) through some of Zappa's most challenging and rewarding music.

Egyptian Theatre

Discussion following the film with guests to be announced.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:59 pm 

maybe this premiere will be postponed because of gz? :|

anyhow, will there be a bundle version? I saw the description on amazon. It ways 1-disc version :?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:19 am 

Has the DVD and Blu ray shipped? someone on my facebook claims they have received their's? This site wont't let me post a pic for some reason, or I don't know how to do it, so here's a link to the facebook picture of the DVD and Blu Ray (he brought both)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:51 am 

^Mine is still showing as preordered.

Fred_Zappelin wrote:
To JayP and others:

As someone who lives 100 miles from a record store, I guarantee you Amazon will get it to me quicker than Music Today. I agree with you on Amazon Prime, although my mom has it. She spends tons of money on Amazon though. Probably worth it for her?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:10 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:
Neither of you agree on politics. And neither of you are going to change your views. So why don't you both shut the fuck up and move on. You know, like adults? And before either of you say it's just so fun to pick on the other, it's really fucking tiresome to read it in every fucking thread for the rest of us. The Roxy movie is finally coming out and we have to wade through this drivel. I could not care less about anybody's fucking politics in this forum anymore. Or who you hate or who you like. I guess when Zappa fans come here they can see what the diehards are truly like, they get to see that they engage in a bunch of constant petty childish bickering.

Cal is right - if you want to argue there are threads you can create and do that, it's your life. But this is the ROXY thread and we will all have it in our grubby little hands in a couple of days, so STOP IT (you'll hurt your throat).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:19 am 

speaking of apt places and times...
tweezers, check your pm inbox. thnx!

mngmnt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:21 am 

jaypfunk wrote:

Click here for a higher resolution.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:12 pm 

coevad wrote:
coevad wrote:
World Premiere!

Egyptian Theatre

Discussion following the film with guests to be announced.

I would think that this would be a great chance for a little tribute to Gail ... and they should not waste the chance.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:47 am 

On the "Soundtrack" disk it says: Release 102.2

(????)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:50 am 

from our roving Zappateer in LA,
Reporting from the ROXY premiere!
It. Was. Amazing.
This film is an unbelievable accomplishment. GREAT audio, truly amazing performances, shockingly good video restoration, and a triumph of concert movie editing. Even though it compiles footage from over three shows (sometimes even in the middle of songs), you would never know. It really feels like an intimate experience of being there on one of those legendary nights. Totally immersive.
After the film, there was a discussion/Q&A panel featuring Ahmet, Joe "the Vaultmaster" Travers, John Alberian (who did most of the edit and restoration), someone else who I'm sadly blanking on, but was instrumental in the correcting of the original footage, and Ralph Humphrey and Bruce Fowler themselves! They spoke at length about what a beast this was to actual put together, and confirmed the main reason for the delay was horrible, horrible technical problems when it was recorded in '73, leading to almost un-fixable sync issues. It took literally until the last two years or so for the right people to come along and the technology to catch up to what they needed in order to make it look and sound good enough to release. But man, did they ever do wonders with it. It looks like it was shot yesterday, and sounds incredible.

SPOILERS:

Highlights: Rhythm section only performance of "Cheepnis" leading into the full version, a jaw-dropping solo (and all around excellent rendition) of "Big Swifty", "RDNZL", actually getting to see the audience participation section of "The Bebop Tango".

Notable absences: "Village of the Sun" and "Pygmy Twilight". Joe answered a question about why those were omitted, and he said that the footage and performances were simply not up to par. He mentioned long sections of amazing solos where there was only one camera on, and the whole time it's just showing Frank's foot. Things like that. He also said that the Roxy album version of "Village of the Sun" is chock-full of overdubs, and for good reason.

I asked Ahmet and Joe about the quote he gave Rolling Stone referencing "opening the Vault doors wide open", and what treats we may have in store, and specifically asked if any of the late 70's Halloween shows would see a proper release. Joe's eyebrows went way up on that, and Ahmet pointed it out saying that should be an indication, as those are very close to the family and among their favorite shows, so as an "unofficial answer", it looks pretty damn likely. They also mentioned a soundtrack accompanying the DVD/Blu-Ray release (entirely worth it for the highlights mentioned above), and a comprehensive schedule in place for future releases. Apparently, the relationship with Universal is EXCELLENT right now, and it's a good time to be an FZ fan.

(copied over from zappateers)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:09 am 

Thanks for copying it here.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:45 am 

A know a lot of you guys do not like itunes, but the film is also available there, if I don't have the dvd in my hand by the release date i could be tempted to itunes it as well :-)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:40 am 

lapsed maps wrote:
speaking of apt places and times...
tweezers, check your pm inbox. thnx!

mngmnt

I did :D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:47 am 

Hi,

I checked Amazon and it said the DVD will be available on 12/10/2015 ... we have to wait another 7 plus weeks?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:33 pm 

Moshkiae wrote:
Hi,

I checked Amazon and it said the DVD will be available on 12/10/2015 ... we have to wait another 7 plus weeks?

as Jaypfunk just said Amazon what? Bangladesh?
I just checked and it's the 30th October to the UK...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:13 pm 

"a comprehensive schedule in place for future releases."

I like the sound of that!!!! Let's just hope they share it with us.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:03 pm 

Well, I broke down (like I knew I would) and pre-ordered via Amazon (yes, October is the month and just a few days away from now),and am looking forward to having it in my hot little hands, my Blu-Ray player and CD player very soon. Wonder how the soundtrack sounds opposed to Roxy By Proxy. Will be interesting. It's too bad Gail passed a mere week from the premiere, but I'm sure she was there in spirit. Looking forward to new releases as well. Regret not being able to see Roxy with a live theater audience, but am glad for the review. Huzzah!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 430 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 18  Next