Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:22 am 

Plook wrote:
Now when is that coming out???

EAT THAT QUESTION, JUNE 24TH!!!! :D
https://www.facebook.com/eatthatquestio ... sownwords/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:44 am 

Zappa family talks about FZ at ETQ event:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq88IoPlLSk&sns=tw

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:51 am 

cory1984 wrote:
Zappa family talks about FZ at ETQ event:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq88IoPlLSk&sns=tw

Good one cory... :!:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:38 pm 

Film
Movie Review

Eat That Question explores Frank Zappa in all of his cranky, cynical glory

By Noel Murray
Jun 21, 2016 •12:00 AM

Eat That Question: Frank Zappa In His Own Words
Director: Thorsten Schütte
Runtime: 90 minutes
Rating: R

As early as 1968, when The Mothers Of Invention released its most popular album, We’re Only In It For The Money, the band’s founder and frontman Frank Zappa realized he had a problem. In the few years that he’d been a rock ’n’ roll recording artist—after getting his start in the music business as an avant-garde composer—Zappa had become one of the most recognized figures in the counterculture. Thanks in part to his funny name, big nose, striking facial hair, and penchant for provocative statements, Zappa popped up regularly in the music press. But as he explains in a 45-year-old interview included in Thorsten Schütte’s documentary Eat That Question: Frank Zappa In His Own Words, most of the people who knew him by sight had never heard his music.

That’s a gripe that comes up again and again in Eat That Question. Schütte constructed the film entirely from Zappa’s TV appearances throughout his long career, with no new supporting interviews or explanatory onscreen text. While the documentary moves in a loose chronological order through its subject’s life, some of the comments about Zappa’s early recordings come from interviews he gave much later. Regardless of the era, the musician’s complaint is the same: Everyone wants to hear what he has to say, not what he has to play. And if there’s one major criticism to level at Eat That Question, it’s that Schütte too often satisfies fans of Zappa’s personality at the expense of those who prefer his music.

Schütte’s documentary isn’t music-free, by any means. Eat That Question offers a generous helping of material from across the decades: from the freaky rock experiments of the ’60s to the jazz odysseys of the ’70s, and from the vulgar pop parodies of the ’80s to the classical symphonies of the ’90s. None of the above genres were exclusive to their decades; Zappa played with comedy and freeform composition throughout his discography. But Eat That Question does trace the artist’s gradual awareness that he could maintain his elevated public profile through the wise-ass work that many of his fans loved best, to make the money to afford the abstract explorations that seemed to make him the happiest.

The film though is light on Zappa performances of full songs, and the all-clips structure means that it’s missing some critical voices to put all of this music into the context of its times. The only extensive discussion of Zappa’s contemporaries comes from the man himself, via lyrics and public statements that trash most popular acts as vapid. Zappa was an important voice of skepticism in a scene that favors cheerleaders, but he also had an unfortunate tendency to flatter his audience by suggesting that listening to his non-radio-friendly music was an act of defiance (as opposed to a matter of taste). Eat That Question tends to validate “being a Frank Zappa fan” as a form of smug self-identity, rather than as something that people who also enjoy traditional rock, jazz, and classical forms could aspire to become.

That said, as a document of how remarkably well Zappa integrated himself into the larger culture, Eat That Question is a treat. Schütte has footage dating back to the early ’60s, when Zappa appeared on The Steve Allen Show, playing a bicycle as an instrument. Later, he guested on What’s My Line? and on various American chat-shows (where by the ’90s many of the hosts were longtime fans). And he was all over TV in the ’80s, fighting against the politicians and pundits who wanted to slap warning labels on “explicit” music.

It was in those squabbles with the self-righteous that Zappa really shone, and made the best use of his default posture, with his withering stare and world-weary one-line responses to questions. If nothing else, Eat That Question captures that persona well, up to and including Zappa’s stubborn unwillingness to let himself or his work be co-opted for any political cause. For all its faults and frustrations, this documentary is always a vivid portrait of a man who considered himself a working musician, just trying to support a family with his creativity. Was he a musical genius, too? Schütte doesn’t present enough evidence to support it, and Zappa himself demurs when he’s asked if he considers himself one. But Eat That Question is at its most poignant when its subject lets his guard down, and admits if he’d had his way, he’d have avoided commercial concerns and would’ve spent more time fiddling about idly, discovering what he could do.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:07 pm 

Zappa family puts aside bitter feud for dad’s doc
Frank Zappa’s daughter Moon Unit — whose famous family’s been feuding since her mother’s death in October — said they had all endorsed a doc on her dad.

“We were all together last summer watching it . . . and really loved it,” Moon told us, of the film, “Eat That Question,” which was approved by late matriarch Gail.

Moon — who became famous for 1982 hit “Valley Girl” — then had a falling out with brother Ahmet, who runs their family trust — but is still close with other oddly named bro, Dweezil. (Dweezil just changed his new tour’s name from Zappa Plays Zappa to Dweezil Zappa Plays Frank Zappa, claiming the trust wanted to charge him a fee for the former moniker.)

Moon said: “[The trust] are trying to trademark the last name ‘Zappa’ as if there aren’t two more Zappas.” And, “For me, it’s love over gold . . . I am reserving one cell [of my body] for the hope that [a reconciliation] happens.”
http://pagesix.com/2016/06/23/zappa-family-puts-aside-bitter-feud-for-dads-doc/

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:21 pm 

Moon Zappa and Thorsten Schutte On "Eat That Question: Frank Zappa In His Own Words"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zK1Eq0iv0w

Bombshell:
FZ listened to Amy Grant & Spin Doctors! :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:05 pm 

cory1984 wrote:
Moon Zappa and Thorsten Schutte On "Eat That Question: Frank Zappa In His Own Words"

Bombshell:

For what it's worth, when the Spin Doctors were hot in the early '90's I remember an article in Rolling Stone about them that said the SD guitarist had gone through a "Zappa phase" in his development. Pretty insignificant, I know. Only a Zappa fan would remember something like that, right?

Frank was also pretty complimentary about Donny Osmond's vocal abilities after he appeared on one of Dweezil's albums.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:39 am 

Location: Behind a ultra-avant laminated, simulated replica-mahogany desk
I remember attending the first Rolling Stones tour in Brazil, mid 90s, in Rio, and SD opened, they got a harsh reception from the public, with boos and possibly things thrown onstage. I felt sorry for them.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:04 am 

cory1984 wrote:

I found it interesting that Moon made two very specific occult references in this interview. One being when she asked Schutte if he had built an alter to FZ, and the second is when she talks about being in a cult for an extended period of time that she refused to name. Wonder what cult she was referring to...With all the conspiracy stuff that surrounds Laurel Canyon this is certainly intriguing.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:32 am 

cory1984 wrote:
Moon ... talks about being in a cult for an extended period of time that she refused to name. Wonder what cult she was referring to...

Now I have to give a listen to all my Blue Oyster Cult albums, just to make sure!

Valley Reaper
She's a Valley Reaper
Valley Reaper
She's a Valley Reaper
Okay, fine
Fer sure, fer sure
She's a Valley Reaper
In a coffin store
Okay, fine...
Fer sure, fer sure
She's a Valley Reaper
In a ccoffin store

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:25 am 

cory1984 wrote:

Bombshell:

Well... the man WAS sick!
Considering he also liked "La Mystere Du Voix Bulgares", I'll give him pass!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:41 pm 

Went saw this today with Ku and AG, it's excellent well worth seeing 3 thumbs up... :smoke:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:15 am 

Plook wrote:
Went saw this today with Ku and AG, it's excellent well worth seeing 3 thumbs up... :smoke:

I wonder what Ebert would think of the movie. I know he gave 200 Motels are very good review.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:14 am 

So, what's up with the Alex Winter Zappa documentary and Kickstarter rewards?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:28 am 

They said a couple weeks ago that Rewards should start shipping end of Feb / beginning of March.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:20 am 

I wasn't able to donate before the deadline. I wanted to jump in at the $250-$300 range, but oh well. If they are still offering the rewards after the fact, I still might. I'm curious to see what everybody gets.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:20 pm 

It's mid-March this week. Received final
Notice to check the accuracy of my address last week. I am in for $250 but no add-ons

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:33 pm 

Any new word yet?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:09 pm 

We got 'em. Full description in another thread.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5