Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 11:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:44 am 

Plook wrote:
BBP wrote:
Stephen King's IT. Pretty good! In future I should watch all horror late in the evening.

The original miniseries?

It's ( :D ) been remade into a feature length movie.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:28 pm 

Plook wrote:
BBP wrote:
Stephen King's IT. Pretty good! In future I should watch all horror late in the evening.

The original miniseries?

Yes.

Tim Curry, you know.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:15 am 

BBP wrote:
Plook wrote:
BBP wrote:

The original miniseries?

Yes.

Tim Curry, you know.

The book was a real page turner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:23 pm 

Blade Runner 2049

This is a fantastic continuation of the '82 original. Great visual textures, casting, cameos and plenty of action when needed balanced with quiet scenes as well. Couple of moments during the film, I felt a scene was slightly long, and other times I felt that the plot got away from me. However, I reinvested my attention and was able to figure it out, no problem. I enjoyed it from start to end.I'd say it would probably be helpful to be familiar with and a fan of the original.

Should be up for some awards for sound design, set design,editing, directing.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:57 am 

1) OtherLife on Netflix (interesting concept) , 2) Finally watched 'Uncle Meat' , 3) https://youtu.be/9UcKhas3HCk 'DMT Trip Simulation' (HD Graphics extraordinaire)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:49 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:50 pm 

Skull Island was pretty good. I keep missing the beginning, though. (DTV)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:12 am 

Worst of 2017 Cinema: A look back at the cinematic flops of 2017

Kevin Smith’s Yoga Hosers is 87 minutes of awful, the worst flick he’s ever made. Smith steals the thunder from us critics by making Mallrats jokes, but that’s a classic compared to this. Lily-Rose Depp and Smith’s daughter Harley Quinn Smith play social media obsessed convenience store clerks who discover a secret society of Canadian Nazis. Even the Stan Lee cameo is excruciating to watch. I have a hunch that Harley Quinn Smith and Lily-Rose Depp could actually carry a well-written film, but Yoga Hosers ain’t it, eh?

In M. Night Shyamalan’s Split, James McAvoy gives a bravura series of performances as a man with 23 different personalities who kidnaps and imprisons three teenage girls in an isolated underground facility. McAvoy’s performance is too good for Shyamalan’s movie, which doesn’t play fairly within its own logic and — spoiler alert — seems more concerned with setting up the filmmaker’s next deal than in making the best film.

After Green Lantern, Iron Fist is the silliest superhero I’ve ever encountered. It doesn’t help that his fight scenes suck and that he dresses like Pee Wee Herman. Rosario Dawson shows up just when you want to abandon ship, and her sarcastic banter raises the series a letter grade, but in farming terms, “Marvel’s Iron Fist” is the runt of the Netflix litter.

The Dark Tower wastes a good cast by boiling seven books into 95 minutes. Sorry, Sony — only 30 hours on Netflix or HBO or Amazon would begin to do justice to Stephen King’s epic fantasy series.

Every single shot in Luc Besson’s Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets would make a great comic-book splash panel. Too bad he let the actors start talking.

It hurts seeing Roger Corman sidelined and irrelevant, dribbling out idiotic schlock like Roger Corman’s Death Race 2050, his remake of Paul Bartel’s Death Race 2000 (1975). Bartel’s film is a drive-in classic, a $400,000 futuristic satire about a coast-to-coast road race where the drivers earn points for the pedestrians they run over. Corman’s reboot proves that his fleabag movies really don’t fly anymore. This version of one of the great cheap movies just reeks of what Frank Zappa called “cheepnis.”

I can’t top my pal Jamie Lewis’ analysis of The Mummy, Universal’s ill-advised attempt to reboot their classic monster movies into something —anything — like what Marvel and DC are doing: “The Mummy was a 120-minute sales pitch for a product no one’s wanted since 1936.” (Apologies to Abbott and Costello.)

There seems to be a growing faction of filmgoers out there who just want to watch Common get the stuffing beaten out of him. If that’s your thing, then John Wick 2 is your kind of movie.

Ben Wheatley’s Free Fire is one of the most unpleasant experiences I have ever endured. A bunch of unintelligible IRA members and crooks rub each other the wrong way during a weapon buy. Fifteen minutes of murky set-up and 75 minutes of excruciating shoot-out. What is Brie Larson doing in this mess?

British crimes movies, Lina Wertmüller remakes, Sherlock Holmes …Oh, Guy Rit-chie, is there a genre you can’t ruin? No essential King Arthur movies have been made since Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Excalibur and The Fisher King. Ritchie’s King Arthur: Legend of the Sword continues the losing streak in a big way, a medieval remake of Gladiator, The Lord of the Rings, Oliver Twist and Ocean’s Eleven (!) •

http://www.ithaca.com/entertainment/fil ... 13165.html

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:54 am 

Watched the documentary David Bowie:The Last Five Years on HBO yesterday. Really good and quite moving. Highly recommended.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:54 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:59 pm 

A couple of good sports related films lately are “The Battle of the Sexes” about the Bobby Riggs vs. Billie Jean King tennis match and “I, Tonya” about Tonya Harding and the ice skating scandal in the ‘90’s. Both are recommended.

Add “Chuck” about Chuck Wepner the heavyweight boxer from New Jersey (“the Bayonne Bleeder “) who went fifteen rounds with Muhammad Ali.

There’s also a documentary on Andre the Giant coming soon on HBO that I’m looking forward to.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:53 pm 

A good HBO movie tonight. “Paterno” about the Penn State scandal.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45