Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed May 22, 2019 11:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 6:01 pm 

swiftkicknow wrote:
Huck_Phlem wrote:
I don't have any kind of degree at all. I've been a working stiff since 1979 when I was dropping out of school at 16. I can go to work at Restaurants or Catering agencies and blow culinary grads out of the water big time so what good is a degree if you have no experience?

Image Yeah, who needs college? You tell 'em, Mel. :twisted: :roll:

Dude, Mel's chili was supposed to be the fuckin' bomb. Why go to college when you can make chili that's the fuckin' bomb?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 7:05 pm 

I went to one of those fancy US East Coast Colleges, graduated at the top of my class, Phi Beta Kappa and all that shit. I went to grad school for a couple of years at yet another elite shithole, and though I had all the attention from the famous profs and perfect grades, when it came time to pay a tuition bill, I said "fuck it, this ain't worth it." I got a job on Wall Street, and retired at 39. I shouldn't have had to waste so many years on wall street. Lots of people with less education got out before they were 30.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 2:17 am 

White_Ugliness wrote:
I went to one of those fancy US East Coast Colleges, graduated at the top of my class, Phi Beta Kappa and all that shit. I went to grad school for a couple of years at yet another elite shithole, and though I had all the attention from the famous profs and perfect grades, when it came time to pay a tuition bill, I said "fuck it, this ain't worth it." I got a job on Wall Street, and retired at 39. I shouldn't have had to waste so many years on wall street. Lots of people with less education got out before they were 30.

Yeah. Right. Sure you did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 2:39 am 
Banned

"You get nothing with your college degree."
- FZ

Don't treat me, baby, like your
Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 4:10 am 

Got a Bachelors in Business Admin and of course went on to an MBa. Cost me a bundle but wtf. Here in France the piece of paper is very important indeed. I also have a masters degree in Industrial Development which sounds great but is really nothing much. Really. Now i'm just a salary man grinding out the hours and raising my kids up.
When the time comes i hope my son goes into a trade and becomes a plumber! Then he can make the big bucks! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 4:08 pm 

swiftkicknow wrote:
White_Ugliness wrote:

Yeah. Right. Sure you did.

I too am often surprised by the past. In truth I do actually work, which was not my intention when I moved to Florida a few years ago. There's no way I could support my lifestyle on my current job income, that's for sure. I work for the pleasure of it? Or maybe because my wife would bitch about me being at home?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 5:50 pm 

BA in Philosophy from the University of Pennsylvania

After dropping out at 16, I got my GED, went back to community college first, and then got this degree, to quote Good Will Hunting, because fuck you.

PG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 8:42 pm 

bump

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 3:45 am 

White_Ugliness wrote:
I got a job on Wall Street, and retired at 39. I shouldn't have had to waste so many years on wall street. Lots of people with less education got out before they were 30.
White_Ugliness wrote:
I too am often surprised by the past. In truth I do actually work, which was not my intention when I moved to Florida a few years ago. There's no way I could support my lifestyle on my current job income, that's for sure. I work for the pleasure of it? Or maybe because my wife would bitch about me being at home?

So you retired at 39 and you're still working because you have to?

Yeah. OK. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 5:06 pm 

swiftkicknow wrote:
White_Ugliness wrote:

So you retired at 39 and you're still working because you have to?

Yeah. OK. :roll:

Yes. Are you jealous?
I work part time, and I know with reasonable certainty that I have much more than most of my neighbors in my exclusive subdivision. I don't even have a *SPAM*! I'm what you call a "cheap fuck."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 6:28 pm 

So, how much does it cost to fuck you then?

Mr. Cheap fuck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 7:37 pm 

pachuco wrote:
I'm studying English ...
. . . . . .can you say thank-you, do you like my band-aid ¿

got a masters in bromadrosology but times are tough these days...july's comin up, it's a good month for me

Post subject: Re: College Degrees?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:20 am 

Mike Luckovich

Bill Bramhall

Sean Delonas

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:52 am 

I have a BA in Parks and Recreation Management. I needed the degree to get hired in my profession but I learned how to do my job by working. My major had a reputation of being an easy major at a state university that had a reputation for being a party school. I was a bad student who did the minimum and attended class maybe 60% of the time. I’m not proud of that and if I had it to do over I would take better advantage of the opportunity. Tuition at a state university was actually affordable back in those days. It’s a shame and a crime that higher education costs so damn much now. College is cost prohibitive for most young people unless they want to start their adult lives saddled with an insurmountable debt. If we want to progress as a nation this needs to be corrected before our society slides even further into the gutter.

Having said that, most of what I learned about life and the universe that we live in I learned outside of the classroom by paying attention, reading, asking questions, and listening to Frank Zappa records. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:28 pm 

I've got an Associate Degree in Electronics....which was supposed to help me get a job in that field. It didn't get me anything except for NOT hired because most beginner jobs in the field said I had too much experience because I had that education. I could have been hired without going to school....but in bigger industry I had too little experience,but then the small places said I had too much experience. It was just pathetic.

The degree helped me to fix our appliances, re-wire parts of our home, and also got me interested in Synths and electronic music. Many years after graduation it also helped me to land a job being a Tele-Tech ,reading heart monitors (that are a bit similar to Oscilloscopes). But I NEVER got a job directly with my education.

My advice....make sure any education you get is in a field with job openings readily available.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:09 pm 

Bachelor of Science majoring in Pure and Applied Maths 1988
Graduate Diploma of Education 1990
Bachelor of Mathematical and Computer Science majoring in Theoretical Physics and Applied Maths 2016

Whatever anyone says about professional qualifications, I don't care, that first degree and the Grad Dip Ed enabled me to pursue an occupation that I very much enjoyed for 25 years and funded a very enjoyable lifestyle. The second degree was mainly out of interest.

Last edited by polydigm on Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:08 am 

KUIII wrote:
Tuition at a state university was actually affordable back in those days.

Did you pay in ducats... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:07 pm 

KUIII wrote:
. . . back in those days.
Daryl Cagle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:08 am 

Mike Luckovich

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:10 pm 

I went to a bunch of colleges, which allowed me to see a bunch of bands and destroy a bunch of my hearing. John Entwistle’s Ox may have done more in one night than the rest. I had to leave after 45 min with ears ringing.

Life spat me out in Berkeley in 1982 whereupon I landed in Ohio making drugs. In an official FDA approved way. Our money making product was Allegra. I was into bicycling and we went on rides as far as Kentucky. There I was adtounded to see a huge number of rednecks and their pick ups and dogs. I had been sheltered from this real world on college campuses. Therefore I was able to sort of comprehend why we got Reagan.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:37 pm 

Tero wrote:
... Kentucky ... There I was [astounded] to see a huge number of rednecks and their pick ups and dogs. I had been sheltered from this real world on college campuses. Therefore I was able to sort of comprehend why we got Reagan.
And life just keeps on giving. When one looks back and wonders how someone like Ronald Reagan could ever have become president and how that madness could possibly be topped et voilà!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:27 am 

Oh, that's very relevant to me. At the moment I am in College and it is very difficult for me to do many academic tasks. Me helps overcome difficulties only cool music Frank and writing service Copycrafter.net.