Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: College Degrees?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:46 pm 

Anyone here have a college degree? I don't.....so I got one of these lol.........http://www.DegreeInLife.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:29 pm 

I have a masters degree, but what do I know? Sometimes I'm just as dumb as a bucket of hammers. I'll be the first to tell you that a degree is almost an absolute requirement. But does it make an idiot wonderful and cute? Nah.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:52 pm 

Ronny's Noomies wrote:
I have a masters degree, but what do I know? Sometimes I'm just as dumb as a bucket of hammers. I'll be the first to tell you that a degree is almost an absolute requirement. But does it make an idiot wonderful and cute? Nah.

i have a london royalschoolofmusic academicboard phd sowhat?
that's just a way to charge more for the work....it's like having an oscar...
more clients, that's all, no more, recognition? that's inside ourselves...
curriculumvitae? that's another thing...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:28 am 

Where is my post for this thread? It was deleted!!! It said nothing more than, "you get wind up working in a gas station" with your higher education :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Retification> Phew... It was not delete. It is just that there is a duplicate thread like this one in the General Board... Phew (sight of relief)...

Last edited by Mr_Green_Genes on Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:31 am 

You're getting a bit paranoid here, Mr G.

It's in the 'other' college thread: http://www.zappa.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.p ... ht=college

;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:36 am 

Studebaker wrote:
You're getting a bit paranoid here, Mr G.

It's in the 'other' college thread: http://www.zappa.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.p ... ht=college

;)

well you know, I just woke up, and I still have the zumby woof behind my eyes... Phew, that is a relief... Fucking duplicate thread, confusing my simple mind...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:41 am 

Yeah, no biggie. I find myself checking too if all my posts still exist with this 'exciting new moderating policy'. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:39 pm 

Oh, it's hardly worth the paper it's printed on...an AA in Liberal Arts from a JC--anyone can get one :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:35 am 

I went to college and some of it is a waste, but at the time it beat just going out to work with a construction crew or something. People need to get educated to some degree. At 18-22 it's important to get a chance to be off the street and learn what you like or hate. Even if you don't like anything at least you were exposed to it and have some idea of what's out there. People that didn't go to college know only what they learned in high school. That's a really scary thought! Well if someone doesn't like academics in high school at least go to a trade school. Those guys make bank these days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:52 am 

I do not have a degree but have traveled extensively throughout the USA.

The experience of travel can offer much more than a college degree and in they eyes of many is just as important as a degree or even equal to a degree.

And I know so many people with multiple degrees who "Wind up working in a gas station".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:08 am 

No degrees for me. I got 8 GCSE's at school though hehe. After that, I decided on college for a while, and got an A Levels in Community Care (care for the elderly etc), and Art Foundation. That, I decided, was enough after being at school (my school years being the most hellish of my life) so I got me a job. I went to nightschool 4 years ago though, and got me an A Level in Law. I studied A Level Biology as well, but I never sat the exam, as I had to leave due to childcare problems. Bummer really, if I'd gotten my Biology A Level, i'd be doing my Forensics course now. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:29 am 

In America, in most instances, being self-educated will not earn you more money on a job, but earning a degree will. Having a degree also gets you in more doors than not having one. Like it or not, that's how it works.

Being self-educated and personally enlightened is great...if you are (1) born into money, (2) marry into money, (3) are a real entrepenuer and actually make something happen on your own, or, if not, then if (4) you don't mind continuing to live like a starving artist or a hobo while you think your deep clever enlightened thoughts and scrape by making a pittance the rest of your life. The days of being an uneducated dumbass but still making a great living at a factory job and retiring with a pension are long gone, and it's never coming back. Will that be paper or plastic? Thank you, here's your change, come again, have a nice day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:42 am 

I left school at 15 with no qualifications, I always regreted that.....so just over six years ago I decided to study with the Open University, and graduated last year with a Ba in Humanities with Art History.

Best thing I ever done!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:54 am 

I've got what is called in the US a master degree in political economy from the university of Cologne. I always hated the subject of my studies. While other students searched for Keynes and Friedman books in english language in the library, I searched for Zappa articles and reviews or took a ride on my bike.

Actually I wanted to study archeology, but my parents thought I would never earn a cent as a historian.

Now I'm dreaming to be a lion tamer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:33 pm 

I'm busy getting a degree, writing a BA thesis in musicology.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:52 pm 

I have a Bachelors Degree in Political Science. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 10:01 pm 

I never did go to none of them fancy learnin' shacks y'all went to. I do have a Unix Programmin' Degree that's about as useful as a one armed man in a rowboat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 7:07 am 

I'm studying English (creative writing) at university next year. Should be a lot of fun...?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 7:32 pm 

"you're college degree is stuffed with nothing. that's right, you get absolutely nothing with your college degree..." :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 9:18 pm 

I don't have any kind of degree at all. I have spent many hours at the Library and have been on tour all over America several times with a drum corps though. I've been a working stiff since 1979 when I was dropping out of school at 16.

I can go to work at Restaurants or Catering agencies and blow culinary grads out of the water big time so what good is a degree if you have no experience?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 8:30 am 

Huck_Phlem wrote:
I don't have any kind of degree at all. I've been a working stiff since 1979 when I was dropping out of school at 16. I can go to work at Restaurants or Catering agencies and blow culinary grads out of the water big time so what good is a degree if you have no experience?

Image Yeah, who needs college? You tell 'em, Mel. :twisted: :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 8:49 am 

I have a Master's Degree (or the Dutch equivalent) in Computer Science, also studied Sociology a couple of years without graduating. Most of it was a waste of time and I never really enjoyed it, but I'm still glad I've got the qualifications, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 1:44 pm 

I have a Bachelor of Arts, a Master of Science, and a Juris Doctor. I don't think any education is a waste of time. But there are lots of kinds of education.

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 1:52 pm 

I hold a Ph.D. in macroeconomics and work as a university professor. Has it highs and lows as I guess any profession has. Every once in a while I do enjoy it a lot. I can't, and do not, complain. (Of course, I would rather have been a world-famous rock musician, who wrote classical music on the side :wink: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 5:52 pm 

swiftkicknow wrote:
Huck_Phlem wrote:
I don't have any kind of degree at all. I've been a working stiff since 1979 when I was dropping out of school at 16. I can go to work at Restaurants or Catering agencies and blow culinary grads out of the water big time so what good is a degree if you have no experience?

Image Yeah, who needs college? You tell 'em, Mel. :twisted: :roll:

I didn't say that. what I am saying is that I have been cooking long enough to blow culinary grads out of the water from experience but it takes a lot longer to do it that way. You get better though.

Higher education is nice but that doesn't say that you are the shit because you aren't. unless you really care about what it is that you are doing you never will be "the shit"!