Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:19 pm 

Huck_Phlem wrote:
I like phaser.

Me too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:28 pm 

Trennasol wrote:
My current favorite toy is the Zvex Lo-Fi Loop Junky. Great pedal to lose yourself in. Mix that up with a Line 6 DL4 for a trippy good time!

My main pedals would be Paul Cochrane's Tim and Timmy pedals. Awesome for low to medium gain boosts. Very transparent. I also have a Fulltone OCD for stuff requiring more gain and grit.

My Wah pedal is a Cry Baby 535q bought from none other than Dweezil Zappa during the Joe's Garage Sale a few years back. I also picked up a very cool MXR Phase 45 from the sale which seems like it's seen some major use.

Next on my list of toys to try out would be a Fuzz Factory from ZVex. That or a Wah Probe. Who knows. Pedals are so much fun to experiment with. In the last year I've bought/sold over 15 different noise makers.

You've got some serious gear! :)

I looked up the Cochrane stuff.. is Tim/Timmy discontinued?
ImageImage

I'd love to have an OCD....

Fulltone makes great gear. I have their Ultimate Octave... except mine is in silver, white and black.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:12 pm 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
Cool, if I see one, I'll check it out. I like how they name the parameters.
I also like the parameters on this one:

Yeah cool names. :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:20 am 

sometimes i use a rack with a furman a ultraharmoniser strobotuner and digitech multieffects thing with a
pedalboard, but the true i prefffer to go thru little boxes,
i like to have the gain 3/4 to 4/5 on the amp and work it from the volume knob on the guitar but go thru an octaver couple of wahs (an old vox and a dunlop) a tube screamer, sometimes an eq too depending on the feedback needed, a digitech wammy and the ampli chanel switching pedal
the modulation pedals like phaser and delays i prefer to run them thru the effect inserts on the amplifier to have the chance of a mix betwen direct and effected sound,
when recording for some proyects and not much time for
mic the amp i record direct to the computer and work
with amplitube or guitarrig plugins

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:06 pm 

Moving right along in the pedalboard construction...
I'm using 2 channels on the pedalboard. Channel B will be a 'standard' sound. It will have general often-used modules. Channel A will be more of an 'anything goes' scenario.
So, whenever I play a 'clean' sound, it will be on Channel B. Therefore I'm making B a touch higher in quality by using George L's cables which are kinda expensive, but actually worth it as opposed to many shitty cable companies. Channel A will have a bunch of noisy fx on it anyway so I'll use cheaper cables there.
I've never bought George L cables before, but its pretty cool! No solder, easy to assemble, clean, and space saving on the board. It uses a coaxial cable (not a vhs one, thinner than that) instead of a twisted pair. You cut the cable smoothly, push it into the adapter, bend it, screw the back on, then cover it with a color cap! Easy!

Post subject: Tim and Timmy's
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:17 pm 

No the Tim and the Timmy's aren't discontinued. The maker Paul Cochrane just doesn't advertise his pedals in anyway. If you want one you have to call him. He doesn't even have a website. They're pretty cheap if you can wait it out. I think right now the Timmy is only $105 shipped and the Tim like $155 shipped. However, there is about a 2-3 month wait as he makes these pedals in the evening after his day job at Heritage Amps.

I need to get some pics of my pedalboard. I love seeing all the cool stuff that's on other peoples boards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:09 pm 

Pick a pic, any pic, try to name all the devices.
Go on. Yeah, I dare ya! :)

Andre's board

Ike's board

Dave's board

Seahag's board

Eric's keys n stuff

And a miscellaneous pic of Ike's amp, Dave's pedals etc...

(Ike sat right on that stool right there ^^^^^^^^^^) :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:57 pm 

the forum killed arkay wrote:
...Cool, if I see one, I'll check it out. I like how they name the parameters.

how the fuck do you work those knobs with yer feet :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:30 am 

korg guitar tuner,ibanez fl9 flanger,the three boss pedals look clear,not sure what the spot thing is maybe a automatic wah wah?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:00 pm 

cleon wrote:

korg guitar tuner,ibanez fl9 flanger,the three boss pedals look clear,not sure what the spot thing is maybe a automatic wah wah?

Cool, ya figgered out Ike's choice of flanger!
The One Spot is a dc power supply for pedal effects which is configured sideways so its size doesn't monopolize more than one outlet (though that is clearly not a problem for Ike!):

You use it to power multiple effects with one "wall wart" so you don't have too many power supplies plugged in at once. Hook up the One Spot with a daisy chain like this one:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:22 pm 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
the forum killed arkay wrote:
...Cool, if I see one, I'll check it out. I like how they name the parameters.

how the fuck do you work those knobs with yer feet :?

Well, ya don't. The box is for stomping... on the switches!
This model is just for foot-style on/off, NOT for live manual permutations:

This model IS for live manual (tootsie) manipulation:

Of course, thats not to say that that is the only way its done!
When I saw David Torn on the Polytown tour, he rigged his pedals up in a tree-like fashion so all the knobs were at arm level and he could modify any value in real time... muy coolissimo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:06 pm 

Seahag's board
Lessee...
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power AC Universal Power Supply
Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner
Vox V847 Reissue Wah
"Phase Me"... It looks like it an Electro Harmonix Small Stone. Between the original, the variations on the original, the many clones and the mods, I'm not sure which it is, but it seems to be one of them.
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer Overdrive
Boss DD-5 Digital Delay
Fulltone Soul Bender - A variation on the famous early Jimmy Page sound. There are many types of these with names like Tone Bender, Bender Over Under, Tube Bender...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 10:42 pm 

Its finally done! :) Remember, its not made as a touring board. I made it so that I could easily switch fx at home and make better use of the gear. Its been mostly done for a couple weeks, as I've just been finishing up making cables etc... But, even in that time I can already appreciate how its helping me get better control of the sounds available to me. Its very flexible and convenient.

Here's the underside of the board. 2 power strips. 2 Boss power supplies each with a daisy chain, 2 tip-positive power supplies for the DOD and Electro Harmonix pedals. Most of this gear is restrained with zip ties. The padding is a painted plumbing insulation gasket which I glued on with Liquid Nails. The frame is cut from an Invisible-brand keyboard stand assembled and then covered in blue electrical tape. The metal shelving brackets give the board a 30 degree or so angle which works pretty well.

I made 2 kickstands to hold up the board at an extreme angle for any time that I may have to work underneath the board. They fold under the board when not in use.

And here's a couple pix! The top is all covered in velcro, so even if it looks like something is hanging over the edge, its really on there pretty good.

Channel A and B are named that way on my Roland JC-120, so I kept that the same on the pedalboard. Since the Roland's Channel B is the one with controls for Distortion, Reverb and Chorus/Vibrato, I have that one associated with my "main gear". I could do a whole gig just with Channel B.

Channel A is for the more esoteric stuff and is considerably more noisy requiring the Noise Suppressor, which actually does a great job considering things like the Electric Mistress. I love that thing, but fuck it can be noisy.

The signal path is:

ES-347
Ernie Ball 6616 Volume Pedal / Boss TU-12 Tuner
Morley Switcher (then to Channel A and/or B)

Channel A
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor

(Send:
electro-harmonix Electric Mistress (Original)
Korg PME-40x board with Waveshaper, Distortion, Dist Wah and Digital Delay
DOD FX75-B Flanger
Ibanez PM7 Phase Modulator
Return
)

Boss DD-5 Delay (Yamaha keyboard footswitch for tap tempo)
Danelectro Corned Beef Reverb
then to Channel A of Roland JC-120.

Channel B
Tonefactor Huckleberry
Fulltone Ultimate Octave
Korg PME-40x with Overdrive, Flanger, Phaser and Analog Delay
then to Channel B of the JC-120 which also has Distortion, Reverb and Chorus/Vibrato which are turned on/off by this pedal I made with suggestions from Swifty (future modifications being planned):

The Ultimate Octave is an early run. It is numbered and signed and the new ones don't look too much like it:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 10:38 am 

I in fact use only the Digitech RP300

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:17 am 

I've had quite a few distortion/fuzz boxes in my time, MXR, ElectroHarmonix, ZOOM, a BOSS ds-1 distortin and a DOD, which I will NEVER buy another effect from, but the best distortion pedal, as far as a stomp box, or any other effects system, that I've ever heard is the BOSS MT-2 Metal Zone. So much gain and tons of distortion. When the distortion is at 80%, it sounds like just about any other box at 100%, and it has very well balanced 4 band para. eq, that has a great bandwidth for guitar. Man, that DOD distortion I had quite a few years ago really sucked. I got rid of it as soon as I could trade up to a ZOOM multi-effects box, with digital controls, great distortion, pitch shifting, delay, and then two other outer-space type effects, insane sounding effects that were only good for making really creepy sounds on. I really miss that box, it was a great package, but like I said, as far as distortion, the new BOSS pedal is my all-time fave.
p.s. anyone else check out the lessons section on Steve Vai's website? Some really insightful advice for people looking to increase their soloing chops.

Last edited by antnyh on Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:24 am 

sorry for the double post, but there used to be a thread on the forum that talked about what effect Frank used on "Ship Ahoy" & part of "Black Napkins" with a link to a really cool effect box someone had made with about 20 or so small knobs lined up in a row, each one controling the modulation delay of its assigned order in the row. It was custom painted and I've been trying to remeber what the guy named this great box. It was up before the forum changed to this new 'updated' format. If anyone knows, I'd be so thankful if they posted some info, or a link, whatever. ---danka

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:14 am 

antnyh wrote:
sorry for the double post, but there used to be a thread on the forum that talked about what effect Frank used on "Ship Ahoy" & part of "Black Napkins" with a link to a really cool effect box someone had made with about 20 or so small knobs lined up in a row, each one controling the modulation delay of its assigned order in the row. It was custom painted and I've been trying to remeber what the guy named this great box. It was up before the forum changed to this new 'updated' format. If anyone knows, I'd be so thankful if they posted some info, or a link, whatever. ---danka

I have also seen a tap-tempo mod that can be done for this for about $100.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:10 pm 

marshall in-amp distortion + crybaby wah pedal = all i fucking need

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:18 am 

Nice rig Arkay! I just ordered a modded Tube Screamer for my board, which will likely replace my Line 6 DM4 overdrive/distortion unit. I'm trying to simplify, and go all True Bypass with gold cables and such. I hope to end up with only 4-5 pedals on my rig.

The bad news is that last night I fucking dropped my 1965 Fender Vibrolux on the ground, face first. It sounded like shit for the rest of the evening. I had just had it worked on for the 1st time since I bought it in 1973. Now it's back to the shop.......... :x

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:22 pm 

THANK-YOU t.f.k.a.!! About the tap-tempo mod, are you talking about Robert Keeley electronic mods?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:44 pm 

Nice amp!! oh,sorry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:03 pm 

antnyh wrote:
THANK-YOU t.f.k.a.!! About the tap-tempo mod, are you talking about Robert Keeley electronic mods?

Not Keeley, although he makes great (and somewhat overpriced) gear.

Here's the link:

Cusack Music Webpage

I haven't tried their mods, but I find this one highly intriguing. I've played the Ooh Wah in the store and found it to be like riding a bull or something equally unpredictable. I'd like to think that having the tap tempo would add just enough control to tame the beast. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:20 pm 

Cool! Once again I am in your debt

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:42 pm 

a jc 120? Man I haven't seen one of those in over 20 years!

I have a little roland cube amp that is real cool. one effect that I have but, I havent' used in a while but is pretty cool is an Alesis Nanoverb.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:52 pm 

Huck_Phlem wrote:
a jc 120? Man I haven't seen one of those in over 20 years!

I have a little roland cube amp that is real cool. one effect that I have but, I havent' used in a while but is pretty cool is an Alesis Nanoverb.

Yeah, I've had the JC-120 for... 20 years! Hahahaha... Seriously, I think I got it in 1986. But, they still sell em new at Guitar Center. They are warhorses and one of the cleanest loud amps out there. With 2-channels, its just what I need!
I also have an Ampeg Rocket II when I need the vintage tube thing happenin.