Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Favorite Guitar Pedals
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:37 am 

I've been building my own little custom pedalboard the last couple weeks and its getting pretty good. I'll post pix in a couple weeks when its done. I've had a bunch of effects for years, but never took the time to assmeble them into a system. Anyway, in doing so, I've come to realize that the next thing for me to save up for is a badass Overdrive/Fuzz pedal. The stuff I've got now can do some of that, but I'm thinking of trying out some boutique stuff. Maybe something like this:

So, name some favorite distorto/fuzz/overdrive etc... or any other pedal that rocks yer world.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:58 am 

I used to have a whole effects board, but I didn't like it much. It never matched the individual pedals I had at the time, a fuzz and a wah.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:32 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
I used to have a whole effects board, but I didn't like it much. It never matched the individual pedals I had at the time, a fuzz and a wah.

You couldn't have just painted it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:44 pm 

Quote:
You couldn't have just painted it?

The "beat it to fit, paint it to match" saying didn't seem to fit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:26 pm 

Anybody ever play one of these? I've heard good things about them, but they aren't available right now.... wondering if I should get on the waiting list!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:28 pm 

Then again, these are brand new models, available and less expensive!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:09 pm 

I have the best effect there is!

I plug my guitar straight into my amp and use the reverb!

It's nice when you own a G&L because they have so much tone you don't need to mask it with shitty effects!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:26 pm 

I Own a 75 watt Line 6 amp w/ TWELVE different amp models, Chorus/Flange, Phaser, Tremolo, Sweep Echo, Tape Echo, & Delay.

Plus REVERB :lol:

The best part of it, my cousin in law bought it for me JUST BECAUSE I'M GOOD AT THE GUITAR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:53 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
The "beat it to fit, paint it to match" saying didn't seem to fit.

So you couldn't beat and paint that saying to fit either? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:55 pm 

Fredo_Again wrote:
The best part of it, my cousin in law bought it for me JUST BECAUSE I'M GOOD AT THE GUITAR!

Do you have a spare cousin in law?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:13 pm 

This one seems cool... multiple gain stage theory, the guy who made this pedal sounds like he knows what he's doing. (Alot of clones out there)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:57 pm 

My favourite effects: Wah pedal, whammy pedal, ring mod and pitch shifter. I like phaser too actually.

for your distortion thing, why don't you try this:

DOD death metal FX86, it's not really a fuzz thing, but the distortion has a special grain that can make it sound like a modified fuzz box. Very metal sounding though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:50 am 

What I'd really like to see is a "pogressive gain pedal" activated like a wah pedal, by foot. It would go from clean to overdrive, a little more, a little more, a bit distorted, a little more, a little mor, etc... until the pedal is all the way down to the most complete distorted sound.

I would like to change tone while I'm playing solos without having to stomp on many pedals. And keeping my volume at the same level while changing tone.

This I have to see... 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:57 am 

Location: Behind a ultra-avant laminated, simulated replica-mahogany desk
What about the pedal David Gilmour uses on tracks like Marooned (TDB) and The Blue from his new album: you can increase an octave with it (in a wah fashion) and it sounds like a slide, but is not, ver cool... What is it called?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:01 am 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
What about the pedal David Gilmour uses on tracks like Marooned (TDB) and The Blue from his new album: you can increase an octave with it (in a wah fashion) and it sounds like a slide, but is not, ver cool... What is it called?
I think that's a whammy pedal, I believe Gilmour uses a Digitech pedal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:31 am 

Mij wrote:
What I'd really like to see is a "pogressive gain pedal" activated like a wah pedal, by foot. It would go from clean to overdrive, a little more, a little more, a bit distorted, a little more, a little mor, etc... until the pedal is all the way down to the most complete distorted sound.

I would like to change tone while I'm playing solos without having to stomp on many pedals. And keeping my volume at the same level while changing tone.

This I have to see... 8)

You can do that with the BOSS GT3 pedal board, you can assign the distortion level to the built-in pedal and start from 0% of distortion to 100%. I don't think you'd have a completely clean sound at 0% though, I'll have to try that and see what it gives.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:40 am 

I currently have 2 that I love. I use the Line6 DM4, which is a foot pedal. I also have a Boss DS-1, which I got after Steve Vai said he loved it. But the one I'm getting interested in now is the Seymour Duncan SFX-03 Twin Tube pedal. It's about to be released and is getting rave reviews. Apparently, it's a true tube overdrive/distortion pedal (2 channels). I'm a big vintage tube sound guy, so I'm intrigued. $200.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:11 am 

I like phaser.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:32 am 

3 solos come to mind with effects.

I think its a 70's phaser.

Isley Bros . Who's that lady.

Ween A tear for Eddie. About half way through he stomps on it and goes to town.

Edie Brickell's What I am . which sounds to me like an evelope filter more than a wah since its more dynamic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:56 pm 

My current favorite toy is the Zvex Lo-Fi Loop Junky. Great pedal to lose yourself in. Mix that up with a Line 6 DL4 for a trippy good time!

My main pedals would be Paul Cochrane's Tim and Timmy pedals. Awesome for low to medium gain boosts. Very transparent. I also have a Fulltone OCD for stuff requiring more gain and grit.

My Wah pedal is a Cry Baby 535q bought from none other than Dweezil Zappa during the Joe's Garage Sale a few years back. I also picked up a very cool MXR Phase 45 from the sale which seems like it's seen some major use.

Next on my list of toys to try out would be a Fuzz Factory from ZVex. That or a Wah Probe. Who knows. Pedals are so much fun to experiment with. In the last year I've bought/sold over 15 different noise makers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:50 am 

I worked on the pedal board a bunch more this weekend. Paint, glue, wiring etc... takes alot of time... Probably at least a week more til its done, but getting there.

Anyway, in the mean time, I thought I'd post some pix of my warhorse, the go-to guy in my effects department:

The Korg PME40x series.

ImageImage
ImageImage

Yeah, they are old and nowadays multi-effects boxes hold a ton more fx than these, but I love em. Really good sounds, not perfect, but very useful and reliable. They are really the reason that I've never assembled a pedalboard before, these have made it unneccessary! I can put whatever modules I need on the board and go jam, quick and easy. So, on the new pedalboard I'm making there will be two of these boards... boards within boards... I have 4 of the pedalboards overall, so I use one for my bass rig and another on the acoustic piano's mic. I have most of the modules, but not all.

The modules that I have:
Compressor (3)
Distortion (1)
Overdrive (1)
Analog Chorus (3)
Analog Delay (1)
Flanger (2)
Graphic EQ (2)
Noise Gate (1)
Wave Shaper (1)
External Selector (Lets you insert any effect in the middle of your signal chain) (1)

The modules that I don't have:
Dist Wah
Phaser
Digital Delay
Digital Chorus
Octave V
Fill Box

If I go jam, I'm fine if I bring nothing else but one board with Overdrive, Flanger, Noise Gate and Analog Delay. That is my general sound overall. I put that into my JC-120 with a touch of distortion and reverb. I'm mainly a rhythm guitarist and I think thats a damn good rhythm guitar sound. From there it only gets weirder.... ;)
If I'm doing a harder rock thing, I can switch the Distortion for the Noise Gate and still have a convenient portable setup. The Distortion is very good. Its not very characteristic in that its a standard sound, but I like it alot. The Flanger is freaky and easy to overdo. The Analog Delay is excellent, imo, very natural. The Wave Shaper is way out there, a Belew freaky sound that I'm still exploring. The Compressor, EQ and Analog Chorus are all ok, not great, but very useful. The Digital Chorus is supposed to be alot better, so maybe I'll find one of those some day. I'd actually like to check out all the ones I don't have! :)

Oh, yeah.... Mike Keneally's pedalboard!
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:54 pm 

Studebaker wrote:
Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
I think that's a whammy pedal, I believe Gilmour uses a Digitech pedal.

Maybe something like this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:03 pm 

Ronny's Noomies wrote:
I currently have 2 that I love. I use the Line6 DM4, which is a foot pedal. I also have a Boss DS-1, which I got after Steve Vai said he loved it. But the one I'm getting interested in now is the Seymour Duncan SFX-03 Twin Tube pedal. It's about to be released and is getting rave reviews. Apparently, it's a true tube overdrive/distortion pedal (2 channels). I'm a big vintage tube sound guy, so I'm intrigued. $200.

I"d love to have a Line 6... anything by Line 6! Hahaha I have too many Delay/Flanger/Chorus time-manipulation pedals... I have to draw the line somewhere! Honestly, if I had my druthers I would own every flanger and delay ever made.
That Seymour Duncan looks very cool.
For the DS-1, do you have any of the mods for it? There are several. They are all very cheap and very easy to wire from what I hear, and massively improve yer tone/distortion etc... I have been looking at DS-1s on ebay specifically to do just that. I think Vai has one of the mods, but I'm not sure which one.

Also, Ronnys, have you been to Maken' Music? I went yesterday at their place on Hubbard. I haven't been there since they've moved. Fuck, they have alot of kickass stuff. Super expensive, but still, go just to look and try stuff out, its great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:10 pm 

aquabot wrote:
My favourite effects: Wah pedal, whammy pedal, ring mod and pitch shifter. I like phaser too actually.

for your distortion thing, why don't you try this:

DOD death metal FX86, it's not really a fuzz thing, but the distortion has a special grain that can make it sound like a modified fuzz box. Very metal sounding though.

Cool, if I see one, I'll check it out. I like how they name the parameters.
I also like the parameters on this one:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:18 pm 

Mij wrote:

This I have to see... 8)

This is possible Mij, even in analog. I don't know if ONE pedal can accomplish it, but there is no reason why your volume pedal cannot send a second signal to a VCF which then controls a distortion level. Then follow with your choice of normalization/compression/limiting/saturation scenarios so your clean/dist levels match.