Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 426 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: football sucks
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:01 pm 

KUIII wrote:
You guys are silly. I never used to be a a Patriots fan but they’ve been consistently good to great for a very long time. They are doing something right.

Exactly, why cheat they could have won all those super bowls on their own, but that had a huge unfair advantage from 2000 until the got caught taping plays in 2007...and they had such complete playbooks on so many teams they were most likely benefiting from the info for at least 3 years after that...they have no character, no moral compass, and no respect... :idea:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:08 pm 

Plook wrote:
KUIII wrote:
You guys are silly. I never used to be a a Patriots fan but they’ve been consistently good to great for a very long time. They are doing something right.

Exactly, why cheat they could have won all those super bowls on their own, but that had a huge unfair advantage from 2000 until the got caught taping plays in 2007...and they had such complete playbooks on so many teams they were most likely benefiting from the info for at least 3 years after that...they have no character, no moral compass, and no respect... :idea:

If Mr Dangerfield was still alive he'd have a great routine for this.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:19 pm 

I tell you, with my doctor, I don’t get no respect.
I told him, “I’ve swallowed a bottle of sleeping pills.”
He told me to have a few drinks and get some rest.

:mrgreen:

When I was a kid my parents moved a lot, but I always found them.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:55 pm 

Plook wrote:
KUIII wrote:

The cheaters are at it again! They cranked up the fog machine in Foxborough last night and filled the stadium with fog. The NFC champion Falcons could not even see the goal posts or find the end zone.

downer mydnyte wrote:
coevad wrote:
Plook wrote:
Their the Cheatriots

and their dynasty is OVER!

Finally!

After thinking it over, they are the champions and in first place in their division. Maybe it's too soon?

I guess I never mentioned I grew up in New England.
I don't gloat.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:59 pm 

Plook wrote:
KUIII wrote:

Just win, baby! :idea:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:46 am 

KUIII wrote:
Plook wrote:
KUIII wrote:

Just win, baby! :idea:

Not using CIA surveillance tactics, that is tacky not to mention a blatant violation of league rules... :idea:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:02 pm 

I don’t buy the argument that having other teams playbooks gives you any advantage. All teams have other teams playbooks as coaches and players are always changing teams. All teams have thorough scouting systems , video analysis, etc. Any advantage a team can gain is very short term as (good) organizations are always adapting. Just a few years ago when all these run option qb’s (Kaepernick, RGIII, etc.) and offensives were having some success it didn’t take long for defenses to adjust. Same with the wildcat. Breaking rules is a part of the game (players still routinely take PED’s, etc.), holding is ok if you can get away with it, bounties (ala the Saints), hiring perpetual criminals/idiots like Aldon Smith, Greg Hardy, etc. Covering up scientific evidence about the dangers of concussions. Billionaire owners fleecing taxpayers to leverage cities against each other with the promise to move or stay and build a new stadium. There are no innocents in the NFL.

Even though the NFL really sucks in a lot of ways I still enjoy catching a game on tv every once in awhile. It is after all just a business.

Last edited by KUIII on Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:27 pm 

KUIII wrote:
I don’t buy the argument that having other teams playbooks gives you any long term advantage. All teams have other teams playbooks as coaches and players are always changing teams. All teams have thorough scouting systems , video analysis, etc. Any advantage a team can gain is very short term as (good) organizations are always adapting. Just a few years ago when all these run option qb’s (Kaepernick, RGIII, etc.) and offensives were having some success it didn’t take long for defenses to adjust. Same with the wildcat. Breaking rules seems to be part of the game (players still routinely take PED’s, etc.), holding is ok if you can get away with it, bounties (ala the Saints), hiring perpetual criminals/idiots like Aldon Smith, Greg Hardy, etc. Covering up scientific evidence about the dangers of concussions. Owners fleecing taxpayers to leverage cities against each other with the promise to move or stay and build a new stadium. There are no innocents in the NFL.

Even though the NFL really sucks in a lot of ways I still enjoy catching a game on tv every once in awhile.

The problem with your argument is they also had the signals, when this broke I saw retired Minnesota Vikings great Chris Carter on inside the NFL saying that the advantage was huge that every receiver knew where the defender was going to go and that he would be nearly unstoppable with that knowledge and the same went for the defense.

Don't forget they had illegally taped Team practices, then matched the signals with the plays, probably the reason they won so many games in the second half going away, the trademark of their team then and the hallmarks of this sort of cheating.

Here are some info that may help you;

As 49ers quarterback Steve Young once explained to ESPN: “The game would be over. If I knew what was coming, that’s the whole game.”

It was Jets head coach Eric Mangini, a former Pats defensive coordinator, who dropped a dime to NFL security about the sideline shenanigans of his former mentor, New England head coach Bill Belichick.

Mangini already had prepared an elaborate system to foil his former team.

“He had three sets of signals being given, one real, two dummy. He had the same thing going when he beat the Patriots” the previous year, a former Pats employee told Sports Illustrated.

But that meant extra work — that both teams were not playing on the same level field, the ex-staffer noted.

“I wasn’t going to give them the convenience of doing it in our stadium, and I wanted to shut it down,” Mangini said on “NFL Live,” adding that he later regretted doing it. “There was no intent to have the landslide that it has become.”

The filming was fairly straightforward — a staffer pointed a camera at an opposing team’s coaches from across the field. And it had gone on for nearly a decade — since Belichick took over the Pats in 2000, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell later revealed.

It was so obvious, the Pats were busted several times before Spygate erupted, including a year earlier, during a 35-0 thrashing of Green Bay.

The Packers spotted Pats video assistant Matt Estrella — who was also shooting the video during the Jets game the next season — shooting unauthorized video from the sidelines. He was asked to leave — then was spotted doing it from a tunnel, which got him booted from Lambeau Field.

“From what I can remember, he had quite a fit when we took him out,” Packers President Bob Harlan said.

When the Lions played the Pats in Foxboro in 2006, the same thing happened, Sports ­Illustrated reported.

“ ‘There’s a camera pointed right at our defensive coach making his calls. Is that allowed?’ a Lions employee asked in a call to the NFL booth. No, it certainly was not. So the videotaper was stopped. Then after a while he began again,” the magazine reported at the time.
Modal TriggerBrady chats with Belichick.AP
But it wasn’t just a matter of filming opposing team’s coaches — it was also how that information was allegedly passed to Brady.

As the scandal broke, the NFL was investigating a possible violation into the number of radio frequencies the Patriots were using during the Jets game, sources told ESPN’s Chris Mortensen, who reported at the time that the Pats did not “have a satisfactory explanation when asked about possible irregularities in its communication setup during the game.”

Quarterbacks communicate with the sidelines via microphones in their helmets that pick up an NFL-monitored radio frequency. An NFL sideline official cuts off communications on this frequency 15 seconds before the play clock runs out.

O’Leary — who uses data crunched by a Las Vegas bookie and a Ph.D. statistician from China with no previous familiarity with Spygate — suggests Patriots “director of football research” Ernie Adams, a prep-school chum of Belichick from Phillips Academy in Andover, Mass., was the nerve center behind the chicanery.

Offensive plays would be called based on stolen signals and the information relayed straight to Brady’s helmet, O’Leary theorizes.

In this scenario, the extra frequency is critical, as it allows the team to do something in real time with the stolen signals, out of earshot of the NFL monitor, and change its plays accordingly.

If there’s an open channel during the play itself, you can also alert the quarterback to open receivers he may not see.

O’Leary repeats a rumor that Pats backup quarterback Doug Flutie once said he accidentally picked up Brady’s helmet during the 2005 season.

“He was amazed that the coaches kept right on speaking to Brady past the 15-second cutoff, right up until the snap,” ­according to O’Leary.

“The voice in Tom Brady’s helmet was explaining the exact defense he was about to face.”

That same year, Pats linebacker Ted Johnson told USA Today that an hour before game time, a list of the opposing team’s audibles — the signals a QB would use at the line of scrimmage just before a snap to change the play — would sometimes appear in his locker. He had no idea where the lists came from. Three years later, he said he was as surprised as anyone to hear about the cheating allegations.

Action from then-rookie  Commissioner Goodell  was suspiciously swift, critics said.

Less than a week after the tape was confiscated, Goodell on Sept. 13 issued an emergency order compelling the Pats to fork over any other tapes. Yet before receiving any of them, he handed down his punishment: taking away the Pats’ first-round draft pick the next year, while fining the team $250,000 and Belichick — who claimed he simply misinterpreted the rulebook and never used video to gain a competitive advantage — the league maximum $500,000.

On Sept. 20, the NFL announced the Pats handed over six tapes and two days later said little about what the recordings contained — only that they had been destroyed.

“When somebody has a hit that looks suspicious, it takes the league three to four days of looking at a tape, then they ­issue a fine,” O’Leary said.

“In this case, they had a team that potentially stole three Super Bowls, and they issued a verdict in four days. Does that sound like the NFL was trying to get to the bottom of anything?”

And the league’s actions didn’t sit well with some outside observers, including Sen. Arlen Specter, who requested a meeting with Goodell in November 2008 to learn why the tapes had been destroyed.

What Specter learned from the one-hour, 40-minute sitdown in February 2008 was that the Pats had been spying on opposing teams for nearly a decade, ever since Belichick’s first year as head coach of the Pats.

“There was confirmation that there has been taping since 2000, when Coach Belichick took over,” said Specter, who called for an independent probe similar to a Mitchell Report on performance-enhancing drugs in baseball. It never materialized.

Despite rhetoric from the Beltway, the Patriots received no further sanctions — even after a long-delayed meeting in May 2008 between Goodell and Matt Walsh, an ex-Pats videographer who worked for the team from 2000 to 2002. Walsh came forward and eventually handed the league eight additional tapes, including evidence that the team was swiping in-game defensive and offensive signals against ­Miami, Cleveland, Pittsburgh and San Diego in 2000 and 2001.

Belichick assured the league the team never used information from the tapes during the same game and said he simply misinterpreted the league’s rule.

But critics such as O’Leary don’t buy it.

“If you tape a defensive coach’s signaling in the plays, and you compare it to the action of the field, you can quickly discover that when they flap their arms like a seagull, they’re in a blitz,” he said. “The basic formations are pretty easy to decipher with just a quarter of the action taped.”

“Coach Belichick’s explanation for having misinterpreted the rules, to me, that really didn’t sound like taking responsibility for what we had done, especially considering the great lengths that we had gone through to hide what we were doing.”

I think that says it all "“In this case, they had a team that potentially stole three Super Bowls"... :idea:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:44 pm 

Maybe what they should do is get rid of the radios in the helmets. I can’t think of anything other sport that allows that kind of communication except for race car drivers.

I guess that’s why you always see offensive coordinators covering their mouths when they are calling a play. They don’t want the opposition reading their lips. So I guess the fear of video “scooping “ is prevalent throughout the league now. Or maybe they’re just trying to block out some of the stadium noise when they’re talking into the mike.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:47 pm 

I wouldn't put too much of my heart into the NFL or any of it's teams. I don't think it's healthy to take it too seriously. When there is that much money involved there will be corruption.

Cheaters never win.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:08 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
I wouldn't put too much of my heart into the NFL or any of it's teams. I don't think it's healthy to take it too seriously. When there is that much money involved there will be corruption.

Cheaters never win.

The NFL is only a mild diversion at this point in my life but to each their own. I’m a big NBA fan though.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:02 pm 

^ Warriors?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:26 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
^ Warriors?

Kings or as some self-deprecating fans refer to them, Kangz. I’ve actually been on the Warriors bandwagon on their rise to the top but they’re starting to get on my nerves with their new found arrogance. I will always root for them if they meet the Cavaliers in the Finals though. I’m a fan of the game though and not just “my team”.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:05 am 

KUIII wrote:
Maybe what they should do is get rid of the radios in the helmets. I can’t think of anything other sport that allows that kind of communication except for race car drivers.

I guess that’s why you always see offensive coordinators covering their mouths when they are calling a play. They don’t want the opposition reading their lips. So I guess the fear of video “scooping “ is prevalent throughout the league now. Or maybe they’re just trying to block out some of the stadium noise when they’re talking into the mike.

Yes that is why they cover their mouth, I saw a team, I kid you not using a sort of mini curtain booth...:shock:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:08 am 

Rams! 7 - 2 record!

It's gonna get tough now. Vikings, Saints and Eagles are next.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:32 am 

The Deadskins lost, again. :(

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:34 pm 

Mr. Nice Guy wrote:

You can't turn the ball over against a good team and win no matter how good you are... :idea:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:11 pm 

Niners Win! Niners Win! I’m beginning to smell playoffs. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:56 pm 

KUIII wrote:
Niners Win! Niners Win! I’m beginning to smell playoffs. :mrgreen:

Dude if they play like that and win out they have a freaking chance...7-9 could get you in... :idea:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:28 pm 

Plook wrote:
Mr. Nice Guy wrote:

You can't turn the ball over against a good team and win no matter how good you are... :idea:

But you can cheat and win 5 superbowls! What a country!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:10 am 

downer mydnyte wrote:
Plook wrote:
Mr. Nice Guy wrote:

But you can cheat and win 5 superbowls! What a country!!

LOL..absolutely agree... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:57 pm 

Should we even talk about Mexico City?

Raiders should have cheated better.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:08 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
Should we even talk about Mexico City?

Raiders should have cheated better.

Raiders should have showed up. :idea:

Raiders secondary is awful. Receivers can’t catch. Start there.

At least Marshawn Lynch was motivated enough to stand for the Anthem. Mexican anthem that is. He continues to sit for the US anthem.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:37 pm 

Detroit beat Chicago 27 to 24. A nail-biter all the way until the final minute.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:13 pm 

Milton Bradley wrote:
Detroit beat Chicago 27 to 24. A nail-biter all the way until the final minute.

I listen to that on the radio, great game!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 426 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next