Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:33 am 

downer mydnyte wrote:
Don't despair Maps.

Last time I talked to Philo was when Mike Campbell joined Fleetwood Mac. We laughed.

oooooooh...

*rests assured*

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:58 pm 

lapsed maps wrote:
downer mydnyte wrote:
Don't despair Maps.

Last time I talked to Philo was when Mike Campbell joined Fleetwood Mac. We laughed.

oooooooh...

*rests assured*

I have no idea what you're attempting to communicate.

Assured about what?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:13 am 

downer mydnyte wrote:

ok, i'll try it again.
i thought i made my message crystal clear.
here we go, the un sugar-coated meat and potatoes:

i do not know how philo is doing right now. physically and/or mentally.
i would like to obtain this information.

you told me that you laughed with him back ---> before his accident.
this does not help me.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:55 pm 

lapsed maps wrote:
downer mydnyte wrote:

ok, i'll try it again.
i thought i made my message crystal clear.
here we go, the un sugar-coated meat and potatoes:

i do not know how philo is doing right now. physically and/or mentally.
i would like to obtain this information.

you told me that you laughed with him back ---> before his accident.
this does not help me.

We are concerned about Philo's and Melo's health is all.....one of my letters to the swamp bounced back "no longer this address".....

PS lm needs help :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:09 am 

I have done some on-line searches but I am unsure if his first name is his legal name and I do not know his actual address...I have not found a death notice for him in Knoxville, TN... :?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:06 pm 

Folks...

I've been assured that I will be contacted if Philo passes. Or if there is something I can do to help. However, I do not hold Philo to this assurance. I believe Maps is in the same boat.
I wasn't necessarily going to announce it on the forum. Okay?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:50 am 

downer mydnyte wrote:
Folks...

I've been assured that I will be contacted if Philo passes. Or if there is something I can do to help. However, I do not hold Philo to this assurance. I believe Maps is in the same boat.
I wasn't necessarily going to announce it on the forum. Okay?

Everyone here should know, I think we all should have a plan in place in case good forbid something happens to one of us, even though most of us have only know each other from afar, it's been some time and it would be the right thing for others to know.

Sometimes when I read old threads and see people who haven't visited for some time with avatars and profiles frozen in time, I wonder...just saying... :idea:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:54 pm 

Hey Plook. I meant I wasn't going to announce what Philo told me about my being contacted. I most certainly agree that the forum should know if he has passed.
I did look up obits in his hometown and I did not see him. Philo never didn't return a text message and there were 3 in a row, my last 3 over the summer, and I got no reply. After awhile we'll have to read between the lines
If I know anything for sure then I will PM Maps although I think Maps will know before me because he was in closer contact.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:50 am 

downer mydnyte wrote:
Hey Plook. I meant I wasn't going to announce what Philo told me about my being contacted. I most certainly agree that the forum should know if he has passed.
I did look up obits in his hometown and I did not see him. Philo never didn't return a text message and there were 3 in a row, my last 3 over the summer, and I got no reply. After awhile we'll have to read between the lines
If I know anything for sure then I will PM Maps although I think Maps will know before me because he was in closer contact.

Thanks for the info DD, Grey supplied me with additional info, I am going to attempt a deeper inquiry on the internet... :idea:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:24 am 

Thanks, downer and LM, for all you've done. Best wishes to Philo (and Mal) wherever they are.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:10 am 

no problem, cap.
and now for another piece for the puzzled,

philo's facebook cover photo was updated 17 hours ago,
soooo
i sent another text (i am not on facebook).
this was over 5 hours ago and once again - nothing.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:49 pm 

The first “social network” of brains lets three people transmit thoughts to each other’s heads

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/612212/the-first-social-network-of-brains-lets-three-people-transmit-thoughts-to-each-others-heads/

BrainNet allows collaborative problem-solving using direct brain-to-brain communication.

by Emerging Technology from the arXiv September 29, 2018

The ability to send thoughts directly to another person’s brain is the stuff of science fiction. At least, it used to be.

In recent years, physicists and neuroscientists have developed an armory of tools that can sense certain kinds of thoughts and transmit information about them into other brains. That has made brain-to-brain communication a reality.

These tools include electroencephalograms (EEGs) that record electrical activity in the brain and transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS), which can transmit information into the brain.

In 2015, Andrea Stocco and his colleagues at the University of Washington in Seattle used this gear to connect two people via a brain-to-brain interface. The people then played a 20 questions–type game.

An obvious next step is to allow several people to join such a conversation, and today Stocco and his colleagues announced they have achieved this using a world-first brain-to-brain network. The network, which they call BrainNet, allows a small group to play a collaborative Tetris-like game. “Our results raise the possibility of future brain-to-brain interfaces that enable cooperative problem-solving by humans using a ‘social network’ of connected brains,” they say.

The technology behind the network is relatively straightforward. EEGs measure the electrical activity of the brain. They consist of a number of electrodes placed on the skull that can pick up electrical activity in the brain.

A key idea is that people can change the signals their brain produces relatively easily. For example, brain signals can easily become entrained with external ones. So watching a light flashing at 15 hertz causes the brain to emit a strong electrical signal at the same frequency. Switching attention to a light flashing at 17 Hz changes the frequency of the brain signal in a way an EEG can spot relatively easily.

TMS manipulates brain activity by inducing electrical activity in specific brain areas. For example, a magnetic pulse focused onto the occipital cortex triggers the sensation of seeing a flash of light, known as a phosphene.

Together, these devices make it possible to send and receive signals directly to and from the brain. But nobody has created a network that allows group communication. Until now.

Stocco and his colleagues have created a network that allows three individuals to send and receive information directly to their brains. They say the network is easily scalable and limited only by the availability of EEG and TMS devices.

The proof-of-principle network connects three people: two senders and one person able to receive and transmit, all in separate rooms and unable to communicate conventionally. The group together has to solve a Tetris-like game in which a falling block has to be rotated so that it fits into a space at the bottom of the screen.

The two senders, wearing EEGs, can both see the full screen. The game is designed so the shape of the descending block fits in the bottom row either if it is rotated by 180 degrees or if it is not rotated. The senders have to decide which and broadcast the information to the third member of the group.

To do this, they vary the signal their brains produce. If the EEG picks up a 15 Hz signal from their brains, it moves a cursor toward the right-hand side of the screen. When the cursor reaches the right-hand side, the device sends a signal to the receiver to rotate the block.

The senders can control their brain signals by staring at LEDs on either side of the screen—one flashing at 15 Hz and the other at 17 Hz.

The receiver, attached to an EEG and a TMS, has a different task. The receiver can see only the top half of the Tetris screen, and so can see the block but not how it should be rotated. However, the receiver receives signals via the TMS from each sender, saying either “rotate” or “do not rotate.”

The signals consist of a single phosphene to indicate the block must be rotated or no flash of light to indicate that it should not be rotated. So the data rate is low—just one bit per interaction.

Having received data from both senders, the receiver performs the action. But crucially, the game allows for another round of interaction.

The senders can see the block falling and so can determine whether the receiver has made the right call and transmit the next course of action—either rotate or not—in another round of communication.

This allows the researchers to have some fun. In some of the trials they deliberately change the information from one sender to see if the receiver can determine whether to ignore it. That introduces an element of error often reflected in real social situations.

But the question they investigate is whether humans can work out what to do when the data rates are so low. It turns out humans, being social animals, can distinguish between the correct and false information using the brain-to-brain protocol alone.

That’s interesting work that paves the way for more complex networks. The team says the information travels across a bespoke network set up between three rooms in their labs. However, there is no reason why the network cannot be extended to the Internet, allowing participants around the world to collaborate.

“A cloud-based brain-to-brain interface server could direct information transmission between any set of devices on the brain-to-brain interface network and make it globally operable through the Internet, thereby allowing cloud-based interactions between brains on a global scale,” Stocco and his colleagues say. “The pursuit of such brain-to-brain interfaces has the potential to not only open new frontiers in human communication and collaboration but also provide us with a deeper understanding of the human brain.”

Fascinating stuff!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:42 am 

Smartphones Might Be Having A Bizarre Effect On Your Skull
By Tom Hale
17 Jun 2019, 19:57

https://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/smartphones-might-be-having-a-bizarre-effect-on-your-skull/

Take your hand and feel the back of your head, just where your spine joins the bottom of your skull. If you can feel a thin growth, a bit like a small boney tail, it could be a sign your body is responding to 21st-century living and smartphones.

A study published in the journal Scientific Reports in 2018 argued that heavy use of smartphones and handheld devices might explain why an increasing number of young people have an unusual boney spur on the back of their skulls.

Scientists from the University of The Sunshine Coast in Australia noted that a growing number of young people have a boney growth sticking out of the back of their skull. Typically, the growths were 2.6 centimeters long (1 inch), but they were seen to grow up to 3.1 centimeters (1.2 inches) in length.

Known as an enthesophytes or enlarged external occipital protuberance (EEOP), the bony projections arise from the sites where ligament or tendon attaches to a bone. Since they typically grow over a long period of time, they expected to find they were more common in aging populations. However, they found the exact opposite. In a study of 1,200 people, aged from 18 to 86, the enlarged spikes occurred in 33 percent of the participants, but most commonly in males ages 18 to 30 years old. In fact, every decade increase in age resulted in a 1.03 reduction in the likelihood of having the growth.

Previous studies also suggest that this is a relatively new phenomenon, as it wasn’t seen in young adults during the 1990s, at least not to the same extent.

"I have been a clinician for 20 years, and only in the last decade, increasingly, I have been discovering that my patients have this growth on the skull," lead author David Shahar, a health scientist at the University of The Sunshine Coast in Australia, recently told the BBC Future.

The research didn’t look for a clear cause-and-effect relationship; however, the fact it’s such a recent phenomenon among young adults started to get the researchers thinking. Drawing on other studies that have suggested smartphone use is associated with bad postures, they suggested that smartphones and “text neck” could be to blame. Spending hours each day with your neck crooked downwards, endlessly flicking through the same three apps over and over again, applies new stresses to the base of the skull, to which the body responds by laying down new bone. The result, they hypothesize, is this strange boney spur.

“The development of EEOP may be attributed to, and explained by, the extensive use of screen-based activities by individuals of all ages, including children, and the associated poor posture,” the study authors conclude.

“We hypothesize that the use of modern technologies and hand-held devices, may be primarily responsible for these postures and subsequent development of adaptive robust cranial features in our sample.”

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:00 am 

what kind of dolt revives a 14 year old thread?

sheeesh!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:15 am 

lapsed maps wrote:
what kind of dolt revives a 14 year old thread?

sheeesh!

*Slowly raises hand* :oops: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:53 am 

Scientists may have discovered fifth force of nature, laboratory announces
With appearance of mysterious new particle X17, will physicists have to call time on hunt for dark matter?

Harry Cockburn
20 hours ago

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/dark-matter-particle-hungary-atomki-nuclear-research-force-nature-a9210741.html

It has long been recognised that there are four “fundamental forces” which govern nature.

The substance of our universe is pulled together, or pushed apart by these forces which are determined by the fact they do not appear to be reducible to more basic interactions between particles.

They include the gravitational and electromagnetic forces, which produce significant long-range interactions whose effects can be seen directly in everyday life.

And they also include forces known as the strong interactions and weak interactions, which produce forces at tiny, subatomic distances and govern nuclear physics.

Over the years, there have been many unsubstantiated claims of the existence of a fifth fundamental force, and as the long hunt for dark matter continues to prove fruitless, efforts to find new forces at play to help fill-in the gaps the standard model of particle physics can’t explain have increased.

Dark matter is a theoretical substance hypothesised to account for around 85 per cent of all mass in the universe, but has not yet been glimpsed.

But now, scientists in Hungary’s Atomki Nuclear Research Institute, believe they may have found more solid evidence of a previously unknown fifth fundamental force of nature.

Attila Krasznahorkay and his colleagues at Atomki first reported some surprising results in 2015 after studying the light emitted during the radioactive decay of beryllium-8, an unstable isotope.

Since beryllium-8’s discovery in the 1930s after the construction of the first particle accelerator in Cambridge, the existence of this unstable atom, and the unique way it decays has been the focus of numerous studies related to stellar nucleosynthesis – how nuclear fusion in stars forms elements.

In 2015, they found, when firing protons at the isotope lithium-7, which creates beryllium-8, the subsequent decay of the particles did not produce exactly the expected light emissions, and that a specific tiny “bump” occurs, which means for an unexplained reason, the electrons and positrons, which burst apart as the atom decays, were frequently pushing away from each other at exactly 140 degrees.

Various retests at the same lab confirmed the results, and a year later, the same experiment was repeated, with the same results in America.

It is thought that the moment the atom decays, excess energy among its constituent parts briefly creates a new unknown particle, which then almost immediately decays into a recognisable positron and electron pair.

But we are not all about to be turned inside out or flattened into a different dimension. The unknown particle, described as a “protophobic X boson”, is thought would carry a force that acts over microscopic distances not much greater than that of an atomic nucleus.

A “boson” is a particle which can carry forces.

The particle has been named X17, as its mass is calculated to be 17 megaelectronvolts.

But Dr Krasznahorkay now believes they have measured the same results in stable helium atoms, however, instead of the electrons and positrons in the helium atoms separating at 140 degrees, the angle was closer to 115 degrees.

“This feature is similar to the anomaly observed in 8Be, and seems to be in agreement with the X17 boson decay scenario,” the team writes in arXiv, where the research has been published, but has not yet been peer-reviewed.

If the particle’s existence is confirmed, it means physicists will have to finally reassess the interactions of the existing four fundamental forces of particle physics and make space for a fifth.

“We are expecting more, independent experimental results to come for the X17 particle in the coming years,” the research team concludes in its paper.