Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:02 am 

I believe that DZ also has had many auditionists that didn't make it as well..... :idea:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:55 am 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
Steve Lukather Remembers 'Painful' Zappa Audition: He Tortured, Embarrassed & Humiliated Me
"I tried not to cry. It was just humiliating."

Posted 15 hours ago
Toto guitar master Steve Lukather remembered auditioning for Frank Zappa's band way, way back in the day, describing the whole experience as plain awful. He told Guitar Player Magazine

"See, the way it worked in the old days in your life as a studio musician - it was a hard club to get in. I don't know how I got in, I'm a lucky son of a bitch, whatever. I knew I had to bring it. You study and you wait for the moment, and the moments are not always great.

"I tell the story in my book about my audition with Frank Zappa which really went south. I came to find out from Steve Vai that I was the sacrificial lamb to get rid of everybody else because there was 150 guitar players sitting there for one position. He [Frank] didn't want to audition 150 guitar players, so he made my audition impossible.

"I was the first guy. He tortured me. It's in the book. I go into massive details, I don't want to relive it because it was very painful, it was very embarrassing to me. And it was really scary, because he was not nice to me at all.

"I was 17. I thought, 'That's it, my career is over, I'm not good enough, I'll never make it.' I tried not to cry. It was just humiliating. And I said, 'Fuck it! I'm gonna fuckin' take that energy and I'm gonna turn it into a positive, I'm gonna prove him wrong. I am gonna make it, I am gonna be somebody. And some day he'll know that.'

"I went home and practiced my ass off. I just played. I was just mad. Every guitar player knows what you play when you're mad.

"Sometimes it's great. Sometimes I'll be so pissed off - I walk on stage and I get some bad news about a business deal gone wrong or somebody fucked this up or we didn't get this or we got ripped off, or whatever. Or I'm in pain, my shoulder is killing me - because it's a terminal illness."

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/ge ... ed_me.html

Only 17. Lukather was born in October of 1957 so that means he had to be auditioning for the Bongo Fury tour (where Denny Walley ended up being the only other guitar player) or the later '75 band that had Andre Lewis, Norma Jean Bell, etc. (but no other guitarists). I can't imagine FZ taking a 17 year old on the road with him no matter how good they were. He wouldn't let Vai in the band until he was 20.

Lukather's book should be very interesting.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:38 am 

Tim Robbins you obviously did a lot of reading while you were in Shawshank.... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:37 pm 

Location: Behind a ultra-avant laminated, simulated replica-mahogany desk
I was surprised to learn that Toad-O-Line (On the Bus) from Joe's Garage is actually a quote of Toto's Hold the Line...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:41 pm 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
I was surprised to learn that Toad-O-Line (On the Bus) from Joe's Garage is actually a quote of Toto's Hold the Line...

he actually mentions Toto in the Central Scrutinizer dialog at some point... :idea: